PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Frustrated

WinterInBloom
November 4th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I'm a little sad and frustrated over my hair right now. I recently started shedding, like maybe 8 days ago. For the first few days I was shedding a little more each new day than the last, until the last time I washed my hair. That morning I lost twice as much hair while brushing (very gently) and then lost that much hair again while washing it in the shower. I had such a wad of hair when I was done!:(

I'm pretty sure I know what caused it too. I have some mal-absorption problems, so I don't seem to get enough vitamins and minerals from diet alone even though I eat a pretty well balanced diet. I have to take vitamins to maintain my health. I was taking vitamins until almost 4 months ago when I went on the HCG diet. I quit taking them when started the diet because the protocol is very strict and you are supposed to not take or eat anything not specifically included in the diet plan. I've gone up to two months without suffering ill effects from not taking vitamins, so I figured I would be ok for the duration of the injections, and I was. But after that I didn't have enough money to replace my vitamins, which had gone bad during the month and half I was on HCG. The omega-3 oils in them went really rancid and smelled like a barrel of rotten fish.

The day I had the worst loss of hair I actually drank two servings of Emergen-C just to get some extra vitamins, and the next day I was finally able to buy a real multi. I'm not having the same kind of hair loss I had on the worst day anymore, but I'm still shedding. Today is the third day back on vitamins, but the shedding hasn't stopped yet. I guess it might be a little soon for them to be effective since I neglected my body for almost four months though.:o

I'm just really frustrated over the fact that I already have layers to grow out, the shortest being at shoulder length while the longest hair is BSL. Now on top of all that growing out I already had to do, I'll have to grow out hair that starts at the scalp.:(

luxepiggy
November 4th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Oh no!! :grouphug:

jojo
November 4th, 2010, 05:54 PM
you should have your bloods done and get your thyroid and haemoglobin in particular checked out. I am also a RN

Madora
November 4th, 2010, 05:56 PM
I'd make a date with the nearest hair doctor (trichologist) and find out what's going on with the shedding.

enfys
November 4th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Did you lose a lot of weight in a short time on the diet? Some people find that causes hair loss.

I hope it stops soon :grouphug:

ratgirldjh
November 4th, 2010, 06:25 PM
I found that when I first went low carb (i'm diabetic) that I seemed to have more shedding than usual. But it slowed down and pretty much stopped. But I also think it could have been seasonal - beginning of fall... Lots of people have noticed more shedding at the beginning of seasons and it is fall (or at least it is here).

WinterInBloom
November 4th, 2010, 06:47 PM
Oh no!! :grouphug:

Thank you.:)

you should have your bloods done and get your thyroid and haemoglobin in particular checked out. I am also a RN

I'm actually fairly positive that's part of the problem, thyroid that is. I haven't been officially diagnosed by a doctor, but I've seen my chiropractor (I know that sounds weird, but he's trained in all kinds of "extras") and we've dealt with low thyroid function before. The supplements he's given me have worked in the past, but it really helps for me to keep taking a multi-vitamin and eat right at least 90% of the time or I will screw myself up again.:p If I don't see some kind of improvement soon I may have to go see my chiropractor again and he can have me go get blood work done and then we'll decide how to treat it. I hope it doesn't end up being necessary though.

I'd make a date with the nearest hair doctor (trichologist) and find out what's going on with the shedding.

I didn't even know there hair doctor's, lol! I'll keep it in mind though, if all else fails.

Did you lose a lot of weight in a short time on the diet? Some people find that causes hair loss.

I hope it stops soon :grouphug:

I lost 22lbs in 43 days, so I guess that would count as a lot. I guess that could be part of the problem, but I came off of the diet feeling healthier than ever, and it's been a little less than two months since I finished the diet. I guess it seems surprising to me that I would be experiencing hair loss now instead earlier, but I suppose stranger things have happened.;)

I found that when I first went low carb (i'm diabetic) that I seemed to have more shedding than usual. But it slowed down and pretty much stopped. But I also think it could have been seasonal - beginning of fall... Lots of people have noticed more shedding at the beginning of seasons and it is fall (or at least it is here).

I am eating low carb now, so that's another possibility.... I guess any or all of the things that have happened to me lately could have caused the shedding.

soobie
November 4th, 2010, 07:03 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you suspect that you have a thyroid imbalance, you should probably make an appointment to see an MD in addition to your chiropractor. Perhaps he can recommend one who is amenable to working with a chiropractor?

spidermom
November 4th, 2010, 07:25 PM
I'm sorry to hear how distressed you are. It could be natural, too. We did just have a change of season and all. My shedding is up, too, but I'm not alarmed. Yet.

I hope you feel better about it all soon.

WinterInBloom
November 4th, 2010, 08:29 PM
Please don't take this the wrong way, but if you suspect that you have a thyroid imbalance, you should probably make an appointment to see an MD in addition to your chiropractor. Perhaps he can recommend one who is amenable to working with a chiropractor?

It's alright, I didn't take it the wrong way.:) I choose not to take any medications or hormones unless they are absolutely necessary, and I have successfully addressed my thyroid issues with my chiropractor before so I do not consider going to a doctor necessary. My chiro may wish for me to have some blood work done, so he can get a better idea of what's going on and how to fix it, but that is the closest I will come to relying on a doctor to fix my problem unless natural treatments fail. By going through my chiro I can get the underlying issues causing the thyroid imbalance addressed, and therefor I will no longer have an imbalance. This is what happened the first time, and I was imbalance free for almost three years, but I messed myself up again by not eating right and not taking vitamins I need to take (this happened at the beginning of my marriage when we had no money). I put on a lot of weight, and that is something I've been working on. I've kept my thyroid functioning at a "good enough" level for a while now as I've been losing weight. My thyroid function seems to be unable to improve and stay improved while I carry extra weight, so it's necessary to try and fix both at the same time, the ultimate goal being to get down to a healthy weight in order for my thyroid function to finally finish being fixed again. I know that's rather unlike other people who just address the thyroid issue and then start dropping weight, but for some reason it doesn't work like that for me. This is the whole reason I decided to fudge on my rule of "no hormones" and go on the HCG diet (plus the HCG diet is at least a temporary thing). Nothing, and I mean nothing, I did was helping me to lose weight, so I came to consider HCG necessary.

Anyway, sorry this is so long, but I like to give an explanation about why I choose not to see a doctor first rather than just let people believe I'm a paranoid about going into a doctors office. In short my mantra is "Address the underlying issue and cure the problem, don't medicate to mask the symptoms." The beautiful thing about using herbs and supplements to treat my thyroid problem, and the problems causing that problem, is that eventually I will be able to stop taking the herbs and supplements (except for a multi) and my thyroid will work right as rain on it's own.:)

WinterInBloom
November 4th, 2010, 08:35 PM
I'm sorry to hear how distressed you are. It could be natural, too. We did just have a change of season and all. My shedding is up, too, but I'm not alarmed. Yet.

I hope you feel better about it all soon.

Thank you.:) I'm shedding more than I normally would for just a seasonal shed, but that could easily be part of it. And maybe just good old stress too, cause stress just has to stick it's big nose into everything.:p I'm trying to relax now so I don't make it any worse, lol!

gotzbrainz
November 4th, 2010, 08:59 PM
im sorry to interupt this thread BUT I REALLY NEED HELP WITH SOMETHING THATS FRUSTRATING ME.... I HAVE NO WAY TO POST A THREAD, NO WHERE ON MY SCREEN DOES IT SAY START NEW THREAD OR POST A THREAD I JUST DONT HAVE THAT OPTION I DONT KNOW WHY, ANY ONE HELP ME?

WinterInBloom
November 4th, 2010, 09:10 PM
im sorry to interupt this thread BUT I REALLY NEED HELP WITH SOMETHING THATS FRUSTRATING ME.... I HAVE NO WAY TO POST A THREAD, NO WHERE ON MY SCREEN DOES IT SAY START NEW THREAD OR POST A THREAD I JUST DONT HAVE THAT OPTION I DONT KNOW WHY, ANY ONE HELP ME?

At the top of the list of threads there's a button that just says "New". If you don't have that button then I don't really know what's wrong...:)