PDA

View Full Version : Heat and deep conditioning?

bluesnowflake
November 4th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Okay, this is probably a stupid newbie question, but here goes :confused:
I've been wanting to do a deep-conditioning treatment for a while because I've noticed my hair really likes the moisture. I knew already that heat damages your hair and I've never- used a curling iron or strightener on it. I recently read that heating covered (with a plastic bag, cap, etc) hair with the deep-conditioning in it helps it soak in and absorb. Is this true? Does the heat damage the hair at all? Thanks in advance for helping out the clueless newbie :)

Carolyn
November 4th, 2010, 04:02 PM
The heat you are talking about is a moist heat. That won't damage your hair. It will often help the products used work better. The heat will open the cuticle and allow the good things in the treatment to get into the hair. The heat from a curling iron or straightening iron is a dry, super hot heat that fries the hair. Maybe someone else can add more of the scientific stuff :D

Igor
November 4th, 2010, 04:16 PM
What Carolyn said. I think a great rule of thumb is that heat or cold that doesn’t feel uncomfortable or painful on the skin is okay to use on hair too
So flat iron = Blistering, boiling damage on the skin = Blistering boiling (microscopic) damage on hair too
Heat pack = Comfortable heat on skin = Comfortable heat on hair that helps treatments penetrate better or faster

jojo
November 4th, 2010, 04:20 PM
great explanation Igor, thats a wonderful rule of thumb to go by.

Now What?
November 4th, 2010, 04:50 PM
Great explanation, Igor! I arrived at the same conclusion myself and used a heating pad on low to set my henndigo. My BF thought I was crazy sitting around with dye, plastic wrap, a towel, AND a heating pad on my head, but I think it worked.

rymorg2
November 4th, 2010, 05:12 PM
Curling Irons and flat irons in particular can get to over 400 degrees. The heat from the treatment is just enough to open the cuticle for better penetration but not damage. I recommend heat with treatments for at most 30 mins. If you're leaving it on longer, then use it without heat.

It's a matter of trial and error. My hair does better with no heat but leaving on longer. I leave my treatments on over an hour usually. But Igor was right; if it doesn't hurt the skin you're fine.

GuardGirl
November 4th, 2010, 07:29 PM
I read somewhere a long time ago that if you are applying a protein treatment (i know you said moisture, but the same probably holds true) use heat to help the proteins 'melt' into your hair fibers, then let it cool down completely or blast it with the cold shot of a blowdryer to 'set' it so the proteins lock into place. I'm not sure if that is actually true or not, but it's worked for my hair so far!