PDA

View Full Version : Did you have to break up with your pre-LHC hairdresser?

jenjen10
November 4th, 2010, 03:05 PM
So I went in for a trim today and I never realized before how many "hair sins" my hairdresser committed before now... In fact, I always went to her because she was conservative in how much she cut off.

However, today I found myself cringing as she combed my hair from the top down, dried it with a blow fryer held REALLY close to my hair, tore through some tangles (I heard hairs breaking!), etc...

I didn't say anything and tried to keep my face neutral but was so worried about the health of my hair. I won't be going back to her anymore. Anyone else find that you are much more observant of what hairdressers are doing to you now? Any nice way of asking them to not do something?

jenwexler
November 4th, 2010, 03:20 PM
Yea that's why I didn't go to one for a year. i had a friend cut it gently and then I eventually did it myself. I went recently to have it reshaped since I cut off the majority of my damage. Just tell them not to blow dry and they usually won't. I always told them not to especially because it was 25 dollars extra. I don't like the way it feels after it's blow dried. I used to bring my own shampoo for them to use too. They do listen...I would worry about how they listen when you tell them to chop off a certain amount.

MinderMutsig
November 4th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I had to break up with my hairdresser because I moved to the other side of the country but whenever I visit my parents and am in need of a haircut I still try to squeeze in an appointment with her. She is wonderful!

She loves long hair and hair in general and that is reflected by the way she works. She uses the right tools and techniques and is very careful with your hair.

I was completely shocked when I found out that other hairdressers just cut off a couple of inches when you indicate you want your damaged ends cut! What? When I make an appointment with her to get my damaged ends cut she literally clears hours in her schedule so she can do a thorough dusting and S&D. At no extra charge!:bigeyes:

I never really knew how special my hairdresser was until I had to find another one. I still haven't managed to find a decent one and I've lived here for seven years now.

ETA: I knew she was cheap and I did expect the same treatment to be more expensive at salons and other hairdressers but I never would have thought they don't even teach that technique in beauty schools anymore. Seriously, I have not met a hairdresser around here that even knew what I was talking about.

pepperminttea
November 4th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I went away to uni and my parents moved two hours away from my home town, so 'breaking up' with her was done for me really.

I was completely shocked when I found out that other hairdressers just cut off a couple of inches when you indicate you want your damaged ends cut! What? When I make an appointment with her to get my damaged ends cut she literally clears hours in her schedule so she can do a thorough dusting and S&D. At no extra charge!:bigeyes:

You found a hairdresser that does that?! I'm so envious!

Now what excuse can I think of to visit The Netherlands... :hmm: :D

JulietCapulet
November 4th, 2010, 03:40 PM
I'm chose to get my hair done by someone who is much more gentle with my hair.

HintOfMint
November 4th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I had to break up with my hairdresser because I moved to the other side of the country but whenever I visit my parents and am in need of a haircut I still try to squeeze in an appointment with her. She is wonderful!

She loves long hair and hair in general and that is reflected by the way she works. She uses the right tools and techniques and is very careful with your hair.

I never really knew how special my hairdresser was until I had to find another one. I still haven't managed to find a decent one and I've lived here for seven years now.

ETA: I knew she was cheap and I did expect the same treatment to be more expensive at salons and other hairdressers but I never would have thought they don't even teach that technique in beauty schools anymore. Seriously, I have not met a hairdresser around here that even knew what I was talking about.

What I wouldn't give for a hairdresser like that!

Bene
November 4th, 2010, 04:04 PM
I didn't have one to break up with. I never regularly had my hair cut and when I did, it was because I wanted one, not because I felt that I needed one. There are so many salons in this city so I just went to whatever was closest. No special hairdresser relationship to end :D

mira-chan
November 4th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I've never been to a hairdresser in my life so no breakup here. Mum has always trimmed my hair exactly how much I asked.

Raventresses
November 4th, 2010, 04:21 PM
I broke up with my hairdresser in March of this year! I went in to see her with wavy, btwn BSL/waist hair that needed to have about 1.5-2 inches of damage removed from highlights years ago. Instead she LAYERED AND CHOPPED all my hair off!
I like a few layers just at the bottom of my hair, she did long layers starting at my chin! I have thin hair so my bottom layer looked like a ratty little tail that ended right at APL! When DBF saw it, the look on his face just made me burst into tears. So for a few months I had to deal with horrid poufy ratty looking hair. It has since grown all the way back down to btwn BSL and waist.

I learned from that experience. I do all my own trimming/dusting now and occasionally let my sister give me a hand.

Delila
November 4th, 2010, 04:25 PM
If I lived close enough, I'd let 'my' stylist help me with trims, but as it is, it's just easier to do them myself.

Finding a stylist locally that had a clue? not worth it.

Doing trims myself makes me feel kind of empowered, but I feel sort of silly using that word. :rolleyes:

sunshineTX
November 4th, 2010, 04:41 PM
Yes, I did. She wouldn't trim my hair to one length (blunt cut). She always tapered it, which I didn't want.

ChrissieM
November 4th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I never really had a long-term relationship with any hairdresser. In fact I only had one I ever went to more than once. I tend to go to the chain salons and just ask for a trim.

Nae
November 4th, 2010, 04:54 PM
I am thinking about a breakup. I love her and she is a family friend but she just...........just doesn't do it like I would do it. And frankly I am starting to think I can handle it on my own.

enfys
November 4th, 2010, 04:55 PM
Nope. Me and I get on just fine, and hopefully always will :silly:

Never had a hairdresser, not too keen to ever have one.

Thinthondiel
November 4th, 2010, 05:19 PM
I've never had one specific hairdresser that I've gone to regularly, and I've never really cared all that much about what they do to my hair as long as it looks good afterwards. I haven't been to a hairdresser in ages, though, but I'm still impulsive when it comes to my hair, as evidenced by the fact that I cut my own hair back to about APL (in the back, much shorter in the front) last week and layered it quite heavily.

jenwexler
November 4th, 2010, 05:21 PM
I broke up with myself lol. I've been cutting my hair on my own to get rid of damage and had my hair reshaped so it would be even when it grew out. But I will probably go back to using myself again eventually.

littlenvy
November 4th, 2010, 05:28 PM
LOL ... I can't. I'm married to him. :p

Besides, he does GREAT job and always does what I want, even if he has to b*tch about it for a while :eyebrows:

LOL @ jenwexler

KittyLost
November 4th, 2010, 05:42 PM
I'm more aware of what she's doing now but I'm also more aware of the advice she used to give me that went in one ear and out the other! Looking back she gave me great hair tips that I just didn't appreciate and she is happy to listen to my ideas and tell me what will work and not work with my hair type.

I didn't have to break up with her, she's been doing mine and my mams hair for nearly 9years now and I usually get my fringe cut for free whenever my mam goes in for her hair appointments.

bumblebums
November 4th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I don't want to continue with the "break-up" metaphor, because what does it mean when you stop seeing someone and then just start, uh, dating yourself? :)

spidermom
November 4th, 2010, 05:55 PM
I didn't have to, but I did because my daughter wanted me to give my business to her friend. I was nervous, but it worked out; the woman is an awesome hair stylist.

LaLaBella
November 4th, 2010, 06:50 PM
Just did. That's how I ended up here. I told her that I was growing it out some. Had pictures, descriptions etc...& she just outright ignored what I said and cut the back uber-short. Fortunately, it grows back but she put me a good 2 months behind. Very annoying :mad:

Chamomile betty
November 4th, 2010, 07:30 PM
I never really had a specific hairdresser. I always tried different salons including the barber I see now. I only trust my barber because I know she will not cut too much off.

Anje
November 4th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Haven't had a consistent hairdresser since about 6th grade, when my mom stopped hauling me to the shop 4 blocks away. Went to her own stylist once, didn't like the results, and haven't been to the same person twice since.

Then again, I haven't seen a stylist at all since about, oh, 2005ish. I have my own scissors now.

Niwa
November 4th, 2010, 08:50 PM
After years of abjuring the company of hairstylists, I started going to one almost two years ago. I went four times in the two-year span. Big mistake. The first time resulted in damage that had to be corrected. The last time, I ended up bickering with the stylist, because, after sitting silently and sadly the first three times, I was determined to stand up for myself. My assertiveness resulted in her calling over another stylist as reinforcement. I stood my ground, which meant primarily that she did not get to yank a small-tooth comb through my hair. In fact, I did not let her detangle it at all, and did all the detangling myself. She was very unpleasant about not getting her way, and other hair dressers gave me baleful stares. I made sure to pay close attention to the products and process she used on my hair so that I could replicate the entire procedure at home. I knew even before I left that I would not be coming back again.

aksown
November 4th, 2010, 09:01 PM
I've never had a regular stylist so... nope. However, I found such a treasure in a nearby town. She had a Kate Gosselin-inspired, two-toned hairdo but asked me if I was serious about a trim, since I didn't really need it. Then she trimmed a mere 1/8th of an inch! :D
The only reason I don't go back is, that one visit cost me $25. Sorry, can't afford that when I bought two pairs of good scissors for less than that.

BeautifulBella
November 4th, 2010, 09:04 PM
I'm thinking about breaking up with my hairdresser. I wish that I hadn't permed my hair because I'd rather not have to get a touch-up. She combs my hair with a fine-toothed comb while its wet & keeps me under the dryer longer than necessary. I'm about done with perms. I wish I could just grow it out but I've come a long way with me length and don't want to give it up to start over. Ive had the same stylist for 2 years. since I've been going to her my hair has improved. but I hate how rough she treats it.

christine1989
November 4th, 2010, 09:09 PM
Nope! He has been cutting my hair since I was about 4. When your hair stylist has know you for that long they know what you like and have a tendancy to listen to what you say. He has always been really supportive and helpful when I tell him I'm growing my hair out.

Elenna
November 5th, 2010, 12:44 AM
It wasn't pretty. The break up I mean.

I realized that my hair wasn't growing because the hair dresser kept trimming the growth. And she did damage my hair with the hair dye and combing methods. So I stopped seeing her. Best decision I ever made!

Dars
November 5th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Yep I won't be going back to my hairdresser, at least not for a long long while if I ever do change my mind and want layers again. I was growing my hair pre LHC and saw her a few times a year for just a trim but it never was just a trim. She would cut back so much, my gains were at snail pace. She also used razor cutting for my layers. I never spoke up about that because I was just a shy teenager.

She did have good aspects though; she was fine with me washing my hair pre visit and she asked if I wanted my hair dried or styled with product both which I declined, which she politely obliged to.

Dragon
November 5th, 2010, 01:14 AM
Nope as I have only been to 4 different hairdressers since I saw 12. But I have broken up with my Mum who use to cut my hair.

Dragon
November 5th, 2010, 01:21 AM
Nope as I have only been to 4 different hairdressers since I saw 12. But I have broken up with my Mum who use to cut my hair.

Eolan
November 5th, 2010, 02:25 AM
I don't think I have to break up with her, but it looks like I will anyway. One of my best friends cuts my hair. She is a stylist and she does it for free, wich is very sweet of her. But she wants to cut funky cuts and she likes to cut alot, so she's bored with me, because I just want her to trim my ends blunt. She has also expressed disgust with "too long hair" and I intend to keep growing. I love her to death, but right now I think we would be better of if she didn't cut my hair. We can just hang out and dear BF can trim my hair. He did it a couple of weeks ago, and did a great job too! I haven't been this pleased with my hair for a long time!

BlackfootHair
November 5th, 2010, 02:46 AM
I never really was loyal to one stylist. I also used to work at a salon and would let the girls cut my hair. Usually the ones with personality I liked best.

Now I go to Cost Cutters and try to get someone who has curly hair. I do have a girl there who I like, but usually they do as I ask. I'm pretty straight forward in my requests. I let them know my hair is naturally dry, can tangle easy, works best with moisture intensive s&c, I like a blunt trim with no point cutting. Usually they have no issue with that. :-)

Neneka
November 5th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Last time I let someone else cut my hair was in a spring 2009. She was my mothers' friend, that hairdresser, very nice lady. She made me blonde highlights and cut it shoulder length. It was ok, I was very happy with it. It was pretty! I was growing my hair but I just wanted it not to be my regular boy hair. I was happy with shoulder legnth. After that I had no money for hairdresser and I started to trim it myself. It grew to what I have now and now I want it as long as possible. I am not going to go to any hairdressed because they cut too much and I don't trim anymore. And I still have no money for that. My sister is trying to grow out her hair and she goes to that same hairdresser. Well, this lady cuts all of my sisters growth away and her hair is not growing... Yeah..

I have never been very eager to go to a hairdresser. It juts don't like to stare myself in front of a mirror in a bright light and I don't usually like people touching me. Before I just cut it very short and when hairs started to poke my eyeballs I got it cut again.

Theobroma
November 5th, 2010, 05:21 AM
No breakup here. I've had my own hair scissors for years! :D

CrisDee
November 5th, 2010, 05:30 AM
Well I was a bit disappointed at the beginning of this year, because the hairdresser with whom I started the grow-out process, who was VERY good at only cutting off as much as was needed to shape it while it was growing, broke up with hair dressing and got out of the business! I did get one trim by another lady at the same salon (a Hair Cuttery), who was also very good at only taking off the minimum necessary to shape it and de-mulletize the growing-out pixie. But I haven't had scissors near my head since March 15th. It's getting pretty raggedy looking, and I'm not a fan of that look, but every micrometer I take off puts me that much further away from an updo - so I'm trying very hard to hold out and not trim until I can do it myself.

Lorz
November 5th, 2010, 05:31 AM
I'm going to break up with my hairdresser. She is really good at what she does and makes my hair look great and have nice "texture," however, she always cuts too much of my precious length off, even when I tell her how little to take off and how long I want it to be.

Also, there is always a random person who shampoos/conditions/brushes out my hair before I get to my stylist, and they can sometimes be rough with my hair. I get so angry when I know that I have something that I care about (call me silly but my hair is an investment) and they are rough with it. Sometimes, they rip through it with a comb while it is wet and break it. So aggravating! :(

Dani
November 5th, 2010, 05:59 AM
You'd have to pay ME to go to any hair salon. It never mattered what I said, what pictures I brought, what consultations resulted in, how much I watched what was happening. Every single time I ever went, my hair got chizzopped. I've always shown and told exactly what I want, with (seemingly) no misunderstandings between myself and the stylists I went to (and I ended up always getting the senior stylists and whoever the top ones are at the spas and salons I went to, so I could hopefully actually get what I wanted), but it never mattered. I have Never had a good experience because the stylist always did what he/she wanted to, and then each and every time, after it was all over, and I was staring in shock at my ridiculous, short "hairstyle", he/she would explain why they did what they did and how this was so much better.

What I regret is paying every time. I was young and not very bright, and didn't realize that it was okay to just get the duce out of there. Instead I lost insane amounts of money to have my hair tortured chopped off into the most dorky styles you can possibly imagine. These were high end salons! The only things that were ever good were when I wouldn't let them wash or comb or brush my hair, just rinse it and let me comb it (that happened once), and I always left with wet hair, because there was no way they were going to rip a brush through my hair whilst blowdrying it. Anyway, this was all a long time ago, and the last time I stepped into a place was in 2000 or '01. I got myself an awesome pair of Arius Eckhert shears for $80 at Sally's, and have been trimming and cutting my own hair exactly as I want it ever since. It is so much fun and so much easier! Obviously there are massive amounts of people that go to salons and spas to get their hair done, and it's their thing and it's awesome, but I'm not one of those people, that's all. :D

Thanks for letting me rant (as if you had a choice, whoever you are). ;) It's been awhile since I've talked about it, and obviously I haven't let it go completely. :p Only because I did everything and more that I'm "supposed" to do to get what I want, and it never, ever mattered. It never made one difference in every experience I had, and that can really tick one off, even after 10 years. A-heh. :p

jenjen10
November 9th, 2010, 03:21 PM
Has anyone found a way to nicely ask a hair dresser to stop what she is doing as she is doing it?? When she was ripping through my tangles, I was just cringing inside but didn't know how to ask her to stop without coming across bad.

sailing
November 9th, 2010, 04:13 PM
Nope, because only my Nana, Dad or I cut my hair these days. Nana finally explained to my Dad enough that with my curly hair, length tho it tangles more is needed to keep it from going too crazy. So now, trim as I want and I tell my Dad in terms of cutting a curl or two off or my Nana in terms of how much length. Anything more than 2" tho, I'm the one who starts it at least. Dad won't do anything more than very small trims, and Nana won't do more than an inch at a time. So I usually decide about where I want a cut, cut off about an inch or so less, then get her to fix what I do.

Lorz
November 9th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Jen, I never had the guts to say anything to them. If I had, I would have said something like: Please either allow me to do it, or be much more gentle. My hair is an investment, I am paying you for a service, and this is causing damage.

Although I haven't actually stopped anyone from doing it, I have offered to do it myself, makes it much more painless.

punkcatknitter
November 9th, 2010, 06:35 PM
Before I started the growing process I had a fabulous hairdresser. My sister had discovered her in a tiny town near her in NY and she was the only person I ever knew who actually how I wanted it and didn't either do what she wanted or tell me all the reasons why it would look bad. She was so fabulous that after my sister moved an hour away we still would drive every few months to see her. Plus she was cheap. :)

But when I decided to grow my hair out I pretty much just stopped touching it and kept it up until I hit BSL, at which point I let my mom even the ends. And now I trim myself (yay for the self cut!).

But if I ever needed my hair cut by a professional, I'd go back to Liz.

Felix_D
November 9th, 2010, 07:00 PM
I've kept my pre-LHC hairdresser to help reshape my ex-pixie as it grows out, but I think I'm done. No trims til APL!

angelshair
May 28th, 2011, 09:53 AM
I'm thinking of breaking up with mine, but I'm too scared to bleach my hair myself :( I always sit there and cringe while she is ripping through my hair with a brush and I can HEAR all those precious little hairs (that I've been babying to death) breaking and crying for mommy to come save them. Things are even more complicated because i don't speak the language. I will try honey lightening next because then I wouldn't ever have to go to the torture chamber again. :D

Becky9679
May 28th, 2011, 10:11 AM
I've never really had a regular hairdresser. I did have one I went to several times because they were very cheap and near to where I work. However after I'd been a few times they started to hike up the price by using products that I hadn't asked for and then telling me I "really needed" these products and should buy some to take home. Obviously the initial cheapness is a tactic to reel people in!

In any case the only person who always does exactly what I ask for is my mum. Unfortunately we live quite far apart now so it's not always practical to ask her to do it. I'm trying to learn to how to do it myself as I would really rather not visit a hairdresser if I don't have to.

elbow chic
May 28th, 2011, 11:17 AM
I haven't been to my old hairdresser in about three years. She does amazing, stylish, layered cuts and I really enjoyed going, but I always just sat down and said, "do whatever you think is best."

She's not the kind of woman I can boss around and say, "only X fractions of an inch and no layers and don't blowdry it and no product, etc etc." Plus I feel silly about paying 30-35 bucks for a quarter-inch dry trim.

So after I started growing mine out, I went to a shop that specializes in cutting hair for the military women. They were very good about adhering to the letter of what they're told to do. "Please take off just enough to even things up. I'm growing my hair out." Plus they were like, ten dollars cheaper than my previous stylist.

Then sometime last year, I decided I'd gotten through the worst of the growing-it-out stage and that if my ends weren't in bad shape, I would just quit cutting it. (After all, that's how the Apostolic women around here get their hair so long. By NOT CUTTING IT. Amazing, right?)

So now I've not seen ANYONE in about a year and a half.

My grandmother and my mom trim each other's ends so hopefully I can get them to do a trim for me the next time I need one. :)

elbow chic
May 28th, 2011, 11:35 AM
Anyway, so I would say we didn't "break up" so much as "drift apart." :wistfulsigh:

alyanna
May 28th, 2011, 11:47 AM
Since being on LHC, I have a new-found appreciation for my Northern hairdresser. I've ALWAYS adored him and thought he was great. But now that I know all about Curly Girl and all the different techniques for curly hair, I've realized that he's been applying all of these since I started going to him in 2000!! Everything from plopping, to upside down application of condish, leave-in etc., to diffusing very gently without touching, to clipping the roots for volume. He seems to have really done his research.

As for my Ancient hairdresser, well he's really got a mind of his own. If I go in there and I'm really aggressive and vocal about what I want and don't want, I might get it, but everyone's on edge and generally uncomfortable. That salon works a lot better when you submit to them :rolleyes: Sooo, I wouldn't go there for micro-trims or dustings or any of that.

jaine
May 28th, 2011, 11:56 AM
I love my hairdressers - there are two at the same salon who both so a really good job - but it was a full year in between haircuts last time. And I might go longer than a year between trims next time. I hope they don't think I abandoned them!

FluffSpider
May 28th, 2011, 12:00 PM
I've been going to the same hairdresser for roughly ten years. She's cut my hair into pixies, layers, asymetrical haircuts and tried all sorts of crazy stuff on it. She does suggest the whole 'trim once every 3 momnths' but with my pampering, she stretches that by four, doesn't make a fuss when I go another month or two late, listens to what I ask her (1/4 of an inch doesn't turn in one inch). And if I have something wild in mind, I always bring drawings, explain then on my face, then she sits me down, combs it then repeats the idea. Also she is rather cheap, she prices about 15 Ron(= 5 dollars or 4 euros) for a haircut( at a stylist, it's usually more than 100 RON)
What I dislike: intensive shampooing done by the shampoo girl. But I usually schedule my clarifyings then so it's not that big of a biggie, and I oil aforehand. Also I have no idea how much condish she uses, and she sometimes yanks a bit on my hair. But then she applies all sorts of serums, sprays and stuff, and doesn't spray on anything I don't want her to. She does blowfry in the most awful way, creating a huge frizz mess which she then smooths down nicely with a heat brush or a straightener( I ask her to reduce the temperature and she gladly does so).

I WOULD change her, if I found someone who was gentler to my hair and just as patient with my crazy needs. But ploughing for hairstylists and bumping into one or two which hack off alot of hair isn't worth it. I think my hair can take a bit of a rougher wet combing once or twice a year.

akuamoonmaui
May 28th, 2011, 01:03 PM
Nah, it was just a one-night stand!

wandlimb
May 28th, 2011, 02:25 PM
I'm very lucky with my hairdresser, she does exactly what I want her to do (which is good, because I have to take my glasses off when I'm there so I can't see what she does!). After I found this forum I decided to grow my hair longer (from BSL) and she just re-razors the front like I want and checks the ends for splits. If it gets really damaged at the ends she says she will just take the very ends off, but so far it's ok. Her idea of a trim is a quarter of an inch or so!

Slinks
May 28th, 2011, 03:11 PM
LOL !! I wrote this yesterday .. I could've written your post :-)

http://www.longhaircommunity.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71688

Tuntenut
May 28th, 2011, 03:19 PM
I haven't been to a hairdresser since I was 14. I went to the same salon from 5 to 14, but when I made a somewhat special request for my hair, they couldn't do it exactly the way I wanted, so I went elsewhere.

Elsewhere is where I found a treasure of a hairdresser. I adored him, and he worked magic on my hair. I basically said I wanted black hair with blue stripes, but that I was open for suggestions. I live in a part of town where 85% of customers want the same layers and highlights, so I think he appriciated doing something different.
He cleared three hours just for me, and I could just feel how much he enjoyed getting crazy and creative. I would love to go back, but I just can't justify spending $60 on a tiny trim. :(

Super Stylist, oh, Super Stylist, wherefore art thou Super Stylist?