PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Hair

curlyerin27
November 4th, 2010, 02:20 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am new here and am trying to grow out my hair but it is extremely damaged from years of blow dryer, flat irons and just general neglect of my hair. Before I start officially growing out I was going to go to the hair dresser to get a little of the damage cut off. I was just wondering if I want to dust the ends as I go, how often should I do this. I don't want to get it cut so much that it doesn't seem like it's growing.
My hair is currently just above shoulder length and I want to grow it to waist. I know it's going to take a while but I want it to be as healthy as it can be. Any suggestions would be great as I am very new to caring for my hair properly. No more flat irons, blow dryers or heat in general.

Rocket22
November 4th, 2010, 02:23 PM
Well you certainly came to the right place.. I would personally dust the ends and go from there..

good luck with your growth and welcome!! :)

Yozhik
November 4th, 2010, 05:01 PM
Welcome to LHC! :flower:

I'm sure you'll find tons of information here on how to get on the right track to nurturing and growing your hair. Happy growing to waist length! :)

Oh, and I would suggest looking at the articles section and the VIT links for good tips on how to get started. :)

Anadyomene
November 4th, 2010, 06:30 PM
Welcome you have come to the right place to find info and support while growing your hair. One of the things that has made my hair the happiest since arriving here has been Snowymoon's moisture treatment if you search this you will fing lots of info. Good luck and hang in there hopefully this will help.:)

squiggyflop
November 4th, 2010, 06:38 PM
well.. have no fear.. your hair cant be nearly as damaged as mine was when i joined.. mine was faded pink and had been full head bleached several times to white (i didnt know how to do roots only and i was dyeing it myself).. i honestly had doubts that i would make it to bsl.. it became so damaged that it had turned quite flammable.. so when i went to light a cigarette (a very occasional indulgence) it burst into a puff of flames.. it made a *flumph* sound when it did it..

one dusting is good.. but i suggest you only dust it every 3-4 months.. yes MONTHS.. dont listen to the hair dresser.. s&d is your friend.. so head to sallys and buy a pair of 15$ scissors..

i only visited a real hairdresser once in my whole time here at LHC.. and they took off 3 inches more than i asked for.. so i guess i just dont think they can be trusted as much as i can with my own hair.. if you are visually impaired you may not be able to do S&D (search and destroy) on yourself.. then a hair dresser can help..

dont forget to check out the product reviews.. and the hair treatments.. i personally recommend prewash hot oil treatments

anyway.. welcome

enfys
November 4th, 2010, 06:41 PM
Read this article: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79

It contains plenty of information you will need, including your trimming options. Essential reading for anyone with damaged hair.

It's a long journey but you will get plenty of help and support here. Welcome to LHC :flower:

DARKMARTIAN
November 4th, 2010, 06:52 PM
Ahh....flat irons and hair-dryers. I know what you mean about the damage. I had it too from those things at one time. I suppose thats one reason why im so glad that the 80's are over and done with...:p

Nowadays the fact that I hardly ever get a trim would probably be the largest contributing factor towards my damage....

curlyerin27
November 5th, 2010, 06:17 AM
Thanks everyone for your suggestions, I will read the articles on the site to get more information for sure!! As I'm not really sure what I am doing yet.

Amraann
November 5th, 2010, 12:47 PM
Hi Everyone,

I am new here and am trying to grow out my hair but it is extremely damaged from years of blow dryer, flat irons and just general neglect of my hair. Before I start officially growing out I was going to go to the hair dresser to get a little of the damage cut off. I was just wondering if I want to dust the ends as I go, how often should I do this. I don't want to get it cut so much that it doesn't seem like it's growing.
My hair is currently just above shoulder length and I want to grow it to waist. I know it's going to take a while but I want it to be as healthy as it can be. Any suggestions would be great as I am very new to caring for my hair properly. No more flat irons, blow dryers or heat in general.

I would dust the ends but that depends on how damaged you feel it is?

Some people use heat styling products with little damage resulting.
Please describe the damage?

SpinDance
November 5th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Welcome! I'll toss my vote in for reading articles here before doing too much. If you feel that you need a trim, by all means do so, but if you are comfortable with the hemline and just want to start your growth journey, that is fine, too. It is always easier to cut than grow, it seems to me!

Since your hair is above your shoulders there are only so many inches/cm of hair there that have already been damaged. Pampering them while gaining length and new growth is definitely possible. I find it helpful to read the articles, wait a while then read them again to see if I have picked up anything new the next time around. The great thing is that you are in complete control of what you do with your hair, and can keep good records to help you figure out what works, doesn't work. Stopping things that are known to damage is a wonderful first step. Trying other things like oils, varying ways to clean, etc, are also part of the adventure! :)

shockinglength
November 6th, 2010, 08:32 PM
I think hair is the healthiest, thus will grow the fastest, because hair isn't breaking off. If you get rid of lot's of the damadge. I'd get abou an inch off every 3 months until the damage is gone. IMHO

feralnature
November 6th, 2010, 08:55 PM
Welcome, you have come to the right place!

Look at my avatar. That is my hair 3 years ago. It was dyed red and very damaged from bleaching and old dreadlocks which had been cut off. It looks shiney but that is deceiving. My hair has grown long in 3 years and I will be self-trimming tomorrow I think.

The support here is wonderful, so glad you are here! :)

thatjengirl1
December 25th, 2010, 06:20 AM
well if your hair grows average or above average (1/2 inch a month)i would start off by getting a half an inch trim every 3 months.
you will be slowly cutting out damage, while slowly gaining a little length.