PDA

View Full Version : If you straighten your hair, does it make it add inches?

Dreamkitty
November 4th, 2010, 11:26 AM
I have wavy hair, its a mixture of curly and straight, if that makes any sense lol:D. When I stretch some of slight curls, it looks much longer visually and actually reaches BSL.

Right now Im at APL, if I did straighten my hair, would it be a way to test where my hair length really is? is it more accurate if I straightened my hair and measured the hair length? has anyone tried this.

I just LOVE straight hair and I wish I had it naturally. But I don't want to damage my hair by straightening.

aenflex
November 4th, 2010, 11:32 AM
Maybe measure when it's damp and slicked back some? Lots of people put the tape measure at the top of the head, the hairline, and bring back over the head and run it down the length.

mali
November 4th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Agreeing with aenflex.

Dreamkitty
November 4th, 2010, 11:37 AM
Maybe measure when it's damp and slicked back some? Lots of people put the tape measure at the top of the head, the hairline, and bring back over the head and run it down the length.

Good idea, well I guess I could measure my hair when it is wet after a wash, because my hair goes very straight when it is damp, I don't know why that didn't cross my mind lol. I measured my hair when it was dry (24inches), I will measure my hair when it wet and straight. If there is a difference between the two results, what would be the accurate reading though, which one should I accept?.:confused:

spidermom
November 4th, 2010, 11:44 AM
My hair curls up when it's wet. A few days after washing, it goes pretty straight with combing and bunning, so that's when it looks longest. Does yours?

aenflex
November 4th, 2010, 11:49 AM
Honestly measuring is really a pain, in my opinion, everyone's hair is different, and mine tends to wave a lot too, but only when dry. I don't even measure anymore, I just take a photo a month. All the measuring sometimes set me up for unhappiness, I never seem to get the same measurement twice :)
Dreamkitty have you posted a pic of your hair yet?

Dreamkitty
November 4th, 2010, 11:49 AM
My hair curls up when it's wet. A few days after washing, it goes pretty straight with combing and bunning, so that's when it looks longest. Does yours?

I am guessing you have straight hair when it is dry?

May hair is a mixture of both, when dry. I can't say its straight, can't say its exactly curly. But it does have waves to it. After a wash, when my hair is damp. It is so straight and I enjoy the little time, I have of havig straight hair when it is wet because when it is dry, Im back to wavy hair again lol.:p

Dreamkitty
November 4th, 2010, 11:51 AM
Honestly measuring is really a pain, in my opinion, everyone's hair is different, and mine tends to wave a lot too, but only when dry. I don't even measure anymore, I just take a photo a month. All the measuring sometimes set me up for unhappiness, I never seem to get the same measurement twice :)
Dreamkitty have you posted a pic of your hair yet?

:) I guess I will just go by monthly photos to see if my hair has changed, its really hard to measure on your own anyway and there may be inaccurate results. I have posted a pic of my hair but it was taken when my hair had alot of oil in it so Im not sure if it made my hair appear longer or shorter.

I will take a photo of my dry hair, guess thats the only way I can see visually if my hair is growing any longer.

Roscata
November 4th, 2010, 12:01 PM
You can try to gently pull on a middle strand as you measure, that way it would be temporarily straight.

spidermom
November 4th, 2010, 12:23 PM
I am guessing you have straight hair when it is dry?
lol.:p

If I air dry it, no - the first day it's curly and wavy with a few straight bits (I have all kinds of hair on my head). But once I start combing and bunning it, it straightens out, except for bun waves, which come out pretty quickly from the weight of my hair being left down.

I can blow-dry it straight, but that takes an hour, and I usually don't have an hour to give it. So it usually air dries.

I judge length by photos like aenflex suggested. Measuring was so inconsistent. Some months it looked like I lost length.

pepperminttea
November 4th, 2010, 02:05 PM
Measuring by taking photos when your hair's in a similar states (ie. only post-wash, or only pre-wash, etc.), especially wearing a striped shirt, might be a better bet to check your growth than a measuring tape. When I measure, in one session, I can often get a different reading every time; it's a bit pot luck.

Incidentally, I was a 1B when I was in my teens, and I always dreamt of having curly hair. (One disasterously damaging perm later I'm learning to like my own hairtype for what it is. :o ) The grass is always greener... :)

KittyLost
November 4th, 2010, 02:10 PM
On the extremely rare occassions I straighten my hair this is when I decide to measure it and get a progress picture because the rest of the time it's in an updo or curly, i lose two inches to waves.

Vermelha
November 4th, 2010, 05:26 PM
I've always just pulled the longest strand in the middle (like in my Profile picture) to tell my approximate length. My hair is curliest when dry. Shrinkage does that though. The best way for me to tell is to get my hair straightened annually and measure then--it's the surest, fool-proof way to tell how long curly hair really is.

Tabihito
November 4th, 2010, 05:38 PM
I agree with measuring growth by pictures. APL hair is hard to measure on your own anyhow, since the tape ends up in a rather awkward spot, and I feel it's a better marker for individuals, since hair of different physical lengths looks different on people of different heights.

enfys
November 4th, 2010, 06:08 PM
It depends on how you want to think of your length, and what you are recording.

Are you wanting to measure your hair growth? In that case, straightening or pulling out wave can be best.

People here use both ways of marking their growth. You might see in signatures especially people may say "APL dry, BSL stretched" or "aiming for waist curly"

My hair is only slightly wavy so I am able to smooth it straight with my hands as I am measuring. I can't imagine this works past a 1c texture without risking moving the tape.

There is no right or wrong way :flower: