PDA

View Full Version : Curly to wavy hair

PeonyGarden
November 4th, 2010, 09:38 AM
I haven't yet seen this sort of method for 'stretching out' curly hair, so I thought I'd share it with you.
I discovered this method quite randomly (something like the wikipedia effect) while surfing the internet. I've noticed that usually people with type 4 hair use this technique to stretch out the hair a bit, and get more length.

Anyway, I thought you all might be interested in a quite easy, no heat way to stretch out some of your curls. It could probably also be used on straight hair to create waves. I tend to like this technique more than I like braid waves, because this ensures fairly similar wave patterns down the length of my hair.

The technique is fairly simple, and involves combing your wet/damp hair relatively straight, and then placing hair bands down the length of the hair. The basic idea is that no curl will be able to form between the bands, while the bands themselves will actually form the waves.

With wet or damp hair, part it into two locks (or your choice), and comb it relatively straight. While holding it taut, use a band to form a pony. Continue to comb your hair straight, and smooth down between bands, placing them at equal distances down the hair. Repeat with other side.

Here is an example of what your hair should look like:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6202&pictureid=87533

Here is a before and after:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6202&pictureid=87437

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6202&pictureid=87532
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6202&pictureid=87531

Tips/Advice:
- placing the bands at equal distances down the hair ensures that the waves are 'even'
- using smaller bands, wrapping the hair very tightly, or placing the wrapped edges of the band very close together/ontop of one another will result in more defined or sharper waves.
- using larger (thicker) bands, wrapping the hair less tightly, or spacing the wrapped edges out (not ontop of one another) will result in softer, less defined waves.
- placing the bands closer together will result in more waves, further apart - less waves.
- If you would like to do a single pony, I would suggest doing a half-up into a low pony so the top part of your hair recieves a nice wave too.
- sleeping on a silk pillowcase, or with a wrap will help keep the hair smooth.
-curling the ends of the pony a bit will prevent your beautiful waves from ending with an odd straight portion.
- to style, I just shook my hair out a bit, and combed through gently with my fingers.

Hope this helped someone out there who wanted an easy 'no-fuss' way to get wavy hair. If you happen to try it, I'd love to see some pictures!

Edit: also, sorry the photos are so large - I scaled them down, but when I posted they were regular sized again!

mali
November 4th, 2010, 09:42 AM
Great results,PeonyGarden! Your hair is beautiful!

Vermelha
November 4th, 2010, 09:57 AM
Very nice banding! I do this in winter months to air dry my curls. It looks good on you!

bunzfan
November 4th, 2010, 12:50 PM
I did this just the other day and my wavy hair was nearly straight, its a good night time sleep style.

pepperminttea
November 4th, 2010, 01:09 PM
Ooh, I'll try this next time I want my hair a bit straighter. Thanks!

aenflex
November 4th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Lovely curls- I was just looking at your album! My hair is wavy with even corkscrews if I let it, but I've spent years training it to be straighter :)

CurlyTresses
November 5th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Beautiful curls. I'll have to do this sometime. Thanks for the tip. :)

PeonyGarden
November 5th, 2010, 09:14 AM
Thanks for the compliments everyone :). Good luck with the banding Pepperminttea!

astrida
November 5th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Grrrr, and of course I can't watch those pictures.:(

pilateschick7
November 5th, 2010, 02:53 PM
Grrrr, and of course I can't watch those pictures.:(

Just 15 more posts! Welcome to LHC:)

PeonyGarden, your curls are gorgeous! It is also very pretty straighter. I will definitely have to try it. Thanks for sharing.

spidermom
November 5th, 2010, 03:35 PM
It also works when I blow-dry my hair. If it turns out too fluffy, I band it just like that (but not tightly; I don't want dents) for a while - maybe half an hour or so. It smoothes the fluff right down.