PDA

View Full Version : How can I dry my hair quicker?

Gilly
November 4th, 2010, 02:38 AM
I am trying to give up blowdrying my hair, I only do it on warm from at least a foot away from my head but it blows out all my waves and whurls:( so I want to let it dry naturally.
I get up at 4.30am so getting up earlier is not really an option as I am already not getting enough sleep.
Before its suggested, NO I won't wash before bed, I have tried it MANY times and all I have to do is re-wash it in the morning as even wetting it will not coax it back to normality and then I am back to the problem of getting it dry before I go to work, I have around half an hour once I am out of the shower in the morning before I have got to leave for work, I can't have wet hair in the office, I won't wear it up as I don't like how it makes my face look even fatter.:rolleyes: Yep' I am vain:rolleyes: Also, I don't use any styling products as they make my ultra fine hair go sticky and crunchy.
I am giving COing another go as it seems to like it when I do it using Nature's Gate Aloe conditioner or the Biotin one, so while its happy with that, I going to carry on doing it!
Help!!

linnepinne
November 4th, 2010, 02:51 AM
I've given up blow drying too, mostly because I want to protect my hair from the heat and tangle damage. This is how I do it:

When I finished showering, i put my hair in a towel turban for maybe 5 minutes. This really gets out alot of the excess water.
Then run brush or wide toothed comb (very gently) trough my hair, just to get it absolutely tangle free. I do this brushing/combing a few more times through the drying process, as it helps to get air through my strands and help it dry faster. But most important is that I toss and flip and move my hair alot when it's drying (this also creates a little tangeling, that's part of the reason I use a brush/comb a few times to prevent damage). This makes the process so much faster than just letting it hang down my back. And it gives me a little more volume aswell.
My hair is definetly dry within half an hour.

Not sure how this will work for curly hair though...

Gilly
November 4th, 2010, 03:00 AM
Sounds good!

My hair has got quite a lot of whurls when it does its own thing but its very fine so I would imagine the moving it around would help quite a bit!:cheese:
I will give it a go in the morning!

Dars
November 4th, 2010, 04:21 AM
I've read here that microfibre towels are very absorbent. I also agree with a few gentle shakes speeds up drying time, try upside down as well (I do this regularly as I don't use any towels whatsoever).

Lorz
November 4th, 2010, 05:25 AM
I detangle my hair very well after toweling in a turbie twist. Then, I sit in front of a fan on low speed and gently run my fingers through my hair occasionally. This is great for me as my hair is naturally wavy but the waves don't normally look nice. When I run my finger through my hair like this, it gives the waves nicer shape.

skaempfer
November 4th, 2010, 05:40 AM
This isn't very scientific, but I have the impression that my hair dries faster when I do an ACV. Maybe because it evaporates faster? Or is it just my imagination? What think ye all?

clichepithet
November 4th, 2010, 05:49 AM
Along the lines of what the posters above have suggested... when need be I stand/sit in front of a regular fan, finger-combing and kind of shaking it about after having gotten as much moisture out as possible with a towel. Works well.

GRU
November 4th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I detangle in the shower, while drenched with conditioner. Afterward, I use a Turbie Twist for about 5 minutes or so to soak up the worst of the moisture and conditioner (I leave conditioner in my hair, which soaks it up), then I take an old t-shirt and make a turban out of that. Sometimes I'll take the t-shirt off, turn it over, and re-turban it using a drier part of the fabric.

morecowbell
November 4th, 2010, 08:38 AM
I detangle in the shower, while drenched with conditioner. Afterward, I use a Turbie Twist for about 5 minutes or so to soak up the worst of the moisture and conditioner (I leave conditioner in my hair, which soaks it up), then I take an old t-shirt and make a turban out of that. Sometimes I'll take the t-shirt off, turn it over, and re-turban it using a drier part of the fabric.

Exactly what I do! :)
Drying in front of a fan also really speeds up the process :)

Deborah
November 4th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I second the fan idea. I generally let my hair air dry, but if I'm in a serious rush I set the large fan on high, making sure I'm just far enough from it that my hair cannot somehow be sucked into the fan. I always end washing with an acid rinse, either citric acid or white vinegar, which I don't rinse out, due to VERY hard water. I think maybe this does help it to dry faster.

hairobsessed1
November 4th, 2010, 09:31 AM
have a look into Moroccan oil- I'm not quite sure how it does it but it reduces drying time but adds moisture to your hair at the same time- i let my hair dry naturally and i have noticed that it drys in about half the time. Moroccan oil is expensive though :(

trolleypup
November 4th, 2010, 10:06 AM
I've read here that microfibre towels are very absorbent. I also agree with a few gentle shakes speeds up drying time, try upside down as well (I do this regularly as I don't use any towels whatsoever).

This isn't very scientific, but I have the impression that my hair dries faster when I do an ACV. Maybe because it evaporates faster? Or is it just my imagination? What think ye all?
My routine is vinegar and cool rinse, squeeze out loose water, then turbaning with a microfiber towel. I second the impression that finishing with a cool acid rinse leaves much less water in my hair than without. If I turban for 10 minutes my hair is dry enough that it won't drip...I usually go 20-30 minutes and let it finish air drying since I have no qualms about going out with wet hair. Preening it with a wide toothed comb and associated manipulation makes it dry much faster and adds some volume at the roots...a fan would help too.

BeautifulBella
November 4th, 2010, 12:34 PM
try towel drying up as much water as possible then sitting in front of the higest setting on the fan. thats what I do & my hair usually dries in 30 mn.

bunzfan
November 4th, 2010, 12:41 PM
I don't know if this will help you at all but, my hair from short till APL took over 3 hours to dry! i started oiling my hair and its now dry within an hour so maybe it has something to do with damage its worth a try.

linda g
November 4th, 2010, 12:55 PM
Since it is winter (at least in my hemisphere), I'm sitting next to the heater/wood stove while my hair is drying. Seems to go a tiny bit faster.

mali
November 4th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I second the fan ideea:).It seems like you have a pretty tight schedule..

Kathie
November 4th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Can you get a diffuser attachement for your dryer? They distribute air more evenly and gently over your hair... they are meant to help retain curls

Madora
November 4th, 2010, 03:00 PM
While I don't use a fan, to help speed the drying process if you do use a fan, try this:

1. Gently pat all your hair dry with an absorbent towel to remove water from the length of your hair.

2. After 10 minutes, remove towel, finger comb, then use a wide tooth comb to comb out all hair (work from the bottom of the strands up to the scalp. This minimizes damage ).

3. Separate your hair into 2 sections. Band off
one section.

4. Standing in front of the fan (or electric heater)
take a few strands from one section of your hair
in your hand, move your hand up and out, then
release the strand. You are in effect "fanning"
your strands, allowing air to reach them more
quickly. Repeat with the remaining hair until
all the hair is dry.

I usually air dryed my hair outside, using the method above. Once in a while, however, I just turned on the thermostat and sat near the heat vent, and "fanned" my hair dry that way.

It took all of 20 minutes to dry my 40" hair. If you must dry with a blowdryer, use a diffuser, as someone above suggested.

jenjen10
November 4th, 2010, 03:11 PM
Paper towels! I turban my hair for awhile and then use paper towels to soak up more moisture... It really seems to cut down on my drying time. HTH!

Eolan
November 5th, 2010, 08:45 AM
My hair used to take ages to dry, hours and hours. Now that I'm off cones it takes less than an hour. I find that my hair dries quicker if I don't leave it in a towel turban, but that might have to do with hair type, don't know. My hair is stick straight.

Anje
November 5th, 2010, 08:56 AM
Multiple towels!

My usual route is to turban my hair for a couple minutes, at which point the portion of the towel at my nape is soaked and it's not likely to get any drier. At that point, I flip the towel around so I get a dry portion. I rarely resort to it, but a second towel after that (or a turban or something of the sort) maybe 5-10 minutes later will suck even more moisture out. After that point, I oil lightly and detangle, and leave my hair loose to dry. Finger combing and fluffing the hair a little with fingers seems to speed that process more.

lapushka
November 5th, 2010, 10:52 AM
My usual route is to turban my hair for a couple minutes, at which point the portion of the towel at my nape is soaked and it's not likely to get any drier. At that point, I flip the towel around so I get a dry portion.

Hey, that's a great idea! :)

feralnature
November 5th, 2010, 11:02 AM
I am not sure where you live, I could not tell by the initials under your avatar, however, I step out on the porch and my hair dries very quickly in the breeze. We have enough warmish days even in the winter months here in Texas so that is what I do to dry it quickly, now and then.

Lorz
November 5th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Multiple towels!
After that point, I oil lightly and detangle, and leave my hair loose to dry. Finger combing and fluffing the hair a little with fingers seems to speed that process more.
Hi Anje,
What type of oil do you use on your hair, if you don't mind me bugging you about it? I haven't used many and would like one that I can use lightly while drying that won't make my hair feel greasy.

slz
November 5th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Multiple towels!
This : flipping the towel around, then another towel.
And combing outside, in the sun, when possible (not really often ...).

Angeletti
November 5th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I have never liked towels so I use a T-shirt and that seems to absorb a lot of the water making my hair dry faster.

christine1989
November 5th, 2010, 05:52 PM
I recently bought some VERY fluffy, absorbent towels at target. After I wash my hair I squeeze it well with my special towels and it cuts back my drying time by about an hour.

Sorus
November 5th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Multiple towels is the way to go!

I keep two turbie twists out at any given time. After I wash my hair in the shower I put it up on one of them while I finish my shower (keeps the hair out of the body soap and gets some extra dying time in.) After I get out of the shower and get dressed I put my hair up in the other turbie, which is nice and dry.