PDA

View Full Version : What Does Over Conditioned Hair Feel Like

Dragon
November 4th, 2010, 02:00 AM
I was just wondering what does over conditioned hair feel like?

Bene
November 4th, 2010, 02:38 AM
Over conditioned? Is there such a thing? I can't imagine what that would be like.

daaisychains
November 4th, 2010, 02:44 AM
As in by using too much conditioner?
Ie you apply a super rich moisturising conditioner as a CO wash onto greasy hair?
Then would it not just end up greasy.. sorry this is of little help. :(

KittyLost
November 4th, 2010, 03:27 AM
When my hair becomes overconditioned from a CWC with coney conditioners and no clarifying shampoos, my ends feel crunchy and dry and rough like they haven't been given moisturiser.

Lianna
November 4th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Mine was weigh down and gummy. That was when I was co-washing too much.

BelleBot
November 4th, 2010, 04:30 AM
I think you can get over conditioned hair with too much moisture. It takes forever to dry and it's feels very soft, but almost too soft a bit like gum. It's not sticky, just feels odd, kinda of mushy like.
Mine was very much like this yesterday, it took the whole entire day to dry, washed it at 7:30am it didn't try till nearly 8pm. It felt incredibly flexible and stretchy and still tangles in the same way wet hair does despite it having dried.
It's a bit if of a nightmare to be honest. Though it doesn't feel greasy in any way, just heavy.

ericthegreat
November 4th, 2010, 04:50 AM
I have accidently done this to my hair a few times. Overconditioned hair will feel extremely soft......................too soft in fact it will just feel very slippery. Its actually NOT a good feeling at all.................you won't be able to grip your hair in any way. It will be pretty much impossible for you to put it up in any nice bun or updo style because its so slippery and soft, your hair will want to slide out of whatever updo style you are trying to do.

If you want to undo overconditioned hair, all you really need to do is do a good clarifying session. A good clarifying shampoo or a good AVC rinse should be able to return your hair to a more normal state.

HintOfMint
November 4th, 2010, 10:28 AM
Protein can help overly moisturized hair.

MinderMutsig
November 4th, 2010, 11:36 AM
OK I have to ask because I've seen this mentioned a couple of times now on the boards. What do you people mean by clarifying shampoo?
This is probably due to translator error (i.e. me :D ) but isn't all shampoo clarifying? :confused:

If not, does the bottle say 'clarifying' and what is the difference? And if so, can someone who speaks Dutch tell me what I need to look for in the drugstore?

Kyaatje
November 4th, 2010, 12:48 PM
well I just translate it as a shampoo that cleans out build up from silicons, sebum and such. Most shampoo's should do that, but off course a no cone one ;-)
to be honest I never see it mentioned on any of the shampoo's I see in the shops here
hth

mali
November 4th, 2010, 01:01 PM
For me it feels like greasy hair.

spidermom
November 4th, 2010, 01:02 PM
Several months ago, I left a generous application of coconut oil in my hair for 2 days during a heat wave. After the first washing, my hair felt kind of sticky and looked limp and dull. After the second washing, my length was o.k., but the top of my head was still sticky and dull.

I'd say it was over-conditioned.

MinderMutsig
November 4th, 2010, 01:08 PM
well I just translate it as a shampoo that cleans out build up from silicons, sebum and such. Most shampoo's should do that, but off course a no cone one ;-)
to be honest I never see it mentioned on any of the shampoo's I see in the shops here
hth Thanks!
This is what I thought but I started doubting myself. :D

jojo
November 4th, 2010, 03:01 PM
it feels mushy kinda like wet moss on a rock if that makes sense! it also feels stretchy like when you comb it, the hair is like elastic.

a protein treatment like mayo or a conditioner with protein will help get it back to normal.

Carolyn
November 4th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I've tried and tried but I've never been able to over condition. I've over oiled but never over conditioned. I color my hair and the length the dry side.

littlenvy
November 4th, 2010, 07:11 PM
Hhmm … I have that with some conditioners especially if I keep them in too long (ie CO). They leave my hair extremely soft; so soft you can’t brush it. And very elastic too!! The hair becomes like a spring, it stretches like crazy.

adiapalic
November 4th, 2010, 07:59 PM
For me, it's greasy/waxy feeling if I use conditioner too often. When I first started using AO Honeysuckle Rose, I loved the smell so much I washed my hair 3 days in a row. It's such a thick, rich conditioner that my ends were gummy and oily with build-up. I only wash my hair about 2 times a week now. ETA I am only able to condition the ends, my scalp will get way too greasy if I condition it at all. HTH :flower:

tinti
November 4th, 2010, 08:09 PM
I've put too much conditioner (rich, moisturizing ones) in my hair, and I thought I'd got all of it out. I hadn't so when it dried, it dried into stringy, greasy chunks of hair. It felt like I didn't have healthy hair at all.

Raekwon
November 4th, 2010, 08:20 PM
i think you can only overcondition your hair if you are using deep moisturizing conditioner everyday.