PDA

View Full Version : Simple Observation

jenwexler
November 3rd, 2010, 09:09 PM
Since I started taking vitamins and looking out for my hair, I noticed I feel happier, cleaner, and my nails look pinker and shinier and stronger. My eye lashes are also longer, and thicker than they were before. Sounds gross, but I feel clean enough to not take a full shower every day and I will result to quick sponge baths sometimes to stay fresh. Have you noticed anything new?

Lady Mary
November 3rd, 2010, 09:22 PM
I too have experienced something similar to this. When I discontinued the use of cone products, I was then able to stretch my washes out, instead of once a day, once every two or three days. The cones were causing a lot of buildup and my hair was greasier feeling because of it.

jenwexler
November 3rd, 2010, 09:28 PM
I don't use cones either and my hair loves me for it. When my hair is too messy I spritz a little water too and then it's just fine.

GrowingGlory
November 3rd, 2010, 09:30 PM
Since I've been using a low residue shampoo I have actually seen my hair absorb sebum back into itself. Amazing, free, natural deep conditioning treatment!

hippie girl
November 3rd, 2010, 09:37 PM
How long since you began taking the vitamins did it take for you to notice a difference, jenwexler?

Did you notice certain things more quickly than others?
What are you taking, a multi of some kind?

jenwexler
November 3rd, 2010, 09:50 PM
I've been taking so many vitamins that my box is full. I stopped taking my multi for about a week because i forgot to include it in the box. I've been on the vitamins since the day I had my hair cut so I'd say since around October 17th. . I noticed my sebum first, then my nails, and I noticed my lashes and eyebrows today. My eye lashes are always full but now they look even fuller which is nice.

Lady Mary
November 3rd, 2010, 10:06 PM
I don't use cones either and my hair loves me for it. When my hair is too messy I spritz a little water too and then it's just fine.

A bit of water from the squirt bottle usually fixes me right up. If not, I use a dab of aloe vera gel on my hands and gently run it across the hair, always solves whatever issue I was having.

jenwexler
November 3rd, 2010, 10:10 PM
I use aloe vera gel too! Especially when I need to put my hair up in a more slick updo or half up do.

McFearless
November 3rd, 2010, 11:07 PM
Thats good news :) What vitamins do you take?

jenwexler
November 3rd, 2010, 11:17 PM
Ha I lost track after my parents sent me even more than I had. The main ones for my hair are hair,skin, and nails, prenatal, e, fish oil and flax seed oil, garlic, oil of oregano, msm, and i think I'm missing a few on my little list here. Oh and I think a tea capsule too.

jenwexler
November 4th, 2010, 08:05 AM
Another observation I made was when I was 13, I would get my hair cut every other month and always have 2 inches chopped off to stay the same length. This was good for my hair since I had that weird incident with doing my own highlights in the 6th grade haha; it got rid of a good amount of that damage in no time. I noticed my hair back then grew fast without me even trying. However, it was 2 or 3 years into puberty when hormones were going crazy. My diet of that time consisted of A LOT of meat and milk and I walked everywhere. Do you think that had anything to do with my growth rate back then?

Vermelha
November 4th, 2010, 10:08 AM
Another observation I made was when I was 13, I would get my hair cut every other month and always have 2 inches chopped off to stay the same length. This was good for my hair since I had that weird incident with doing my own highlights in the 6th grade haha; it got rid of a good amount of that damage in no time. I noticed my hair back then grew fast without me even trying. However, it was 2 or 3 years into puberty when hormones were going crazy. My diet of that time consisted of A LOT of meat and milk and I walked everywhere. Do you think that had anything to do with my growth rate back then?

Absolutely. Hormones are much different when we are in pre-pubescent and puberty stages. Metabolism is also very different. Diet is also important. Meat has proteins, which have amino acids (and B-vitamins, which is why I had to supplement when I went vegetarian), which also encourage healthy hair growth. I can't say that vegetarians DON'T get healthy hair growth, but I will say that when I stopped being a vegetarian, my hair grew thicker and longer.

Not sure about milk though. But getting regular exercise also increases blood flow, which helps with supplying nutrients to the scalp, but only to an extent. Once your body gets used to it, it doesn't make any greater of an improvement.

bumblebums
November 4th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Absolutely. Hormones are much different when we are in pre-pubescent and puberty stages. Metabolism is also very different. Diet is also important. Meat has proteins, which have amino acids (and B-vitamins, which is why I had to supplement when I went vegetarian), which also encourage healthy hair growth. I can't say that vegetarians DON'T get healthy hair growth, but I will say that when I stopped being a vegetarian, my hair grew thicker and longer.

Not sure about milk though. But getting regular exercise also increases blood flow, which helps with supplying nutrients to the scalp, but only to an extent. Once your body gets used to it, it doesn't make any greater of an improvement.

Thumbs up.

The milk thing varies quite a bit--I love it (esp. cheese and yogurt), but plenty of people think it's the devil. Meat is complicated. It gets vilified a lot in some circles, but there are cultures that subsist largely on a meat-based diet without any of the problems it is associated with in the industrialized world. There are also some types of deficiencies that get worse on a vegetarian diet. For example, I seem to develop some kind of pernicious anemia when I go veg. Meat fixed it right up, though. Your hair needs iron and B vitamins. Meat provides them in an easily digestible form.

Jenwexler--the fact that you saw such a dramatic improvement from supplements suggests to me that your normal diet might be deficient in certain vitamins and minerals, or else you have some malabsorption problems and need bigger-than-normal doses of certain micronutrients. Have you talked to a doctor about all the pills you're taking?

jenwexler
November 4th, 2010, 12:59 PM
I will be talking to my doctor when I go home. My pills are salt based and I want to see if I can have the dose lowered a little bit. I know it messes with my liver and what not.

mali
November 4th, 2010, 01:00 PM
I have experienced something very similar to this.It's quite awesome,isn't it?

jenwexler
November 4th, 2010, 01:07 PM
From the vitamins??

jenwexler
November 4th, 2010, 07:04 PM
Another observation. My skin is a GLOWING tan. Granted, I am half Puerto Rican, but my skin that has never been touched my the sun is still a bit lighter than the rest of my skin. I haven't been in the sun since the Summer so my is my skin still a warm tan?