PDA

View Full Version : Curlies: Gel question!

abritta3
November 3rd, 2010, 07:56 PM
Hi curlies,
I was wondering if you could suggest a gel that holds really well. I don't want crunchy or stiff curls, but I do need my wurls/curls to be more defined. They are 3a & tend to look loose on certain days. I know how tight my hair can be and I just want to maximize that!
Thanks in advance for the suggestions ;)

Vermelha
November 3rd, 2010, 08:04 PM
ECOStyler =D It comes in many varieties and a little goes a long way. It's ultra cheap and doesn't contain cones or really bad ingredients.

It comes in Olive, Pink, Brown (protein) and Clear (for lighter hair). They vary in strength.

Wanna know a tip on how to get non-crunchy curls? Apply your favorite oil (Olive or Jojoba are good!) on your hair while wet before applying the gel (avoid Coconut Oil). When the curls dry, they'll be even softer. ECOStyler dries pretty soft, but the oil definitely helps.

The gel is really cheap too. You can get it at Sally Beauty (and some major retailers). HTH!

slz
November 3rd, 2010, 08:11 PM
Not really your question, but FYI :
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53745

jaine
November 3rd, 2010, 08:16 PM
I really love Max Green Alchemy Sculpting Gel. I've used it very successfully for curly-girl method styling...I scrunched it into soaking wet hair and blotted with paper towels and left it to air dry, then I scrunched out the crunch. There's a picture of that result in my hair album (send me a friend request to see).
I've also used it to straighten my bangs...I gel my hair while it's damp and then go over it with a fine-tooth comb and put it in a French twist or some sort of updo. When it dries I comb out the crunch and I have straight bangs with some waves in the back. I like this gel because my hair feels like there's nothing in it after I comb or scrunch it out, but the shape holds very well.

Aaaaand...it's vegan, cruelty free, totally non-irritating and safe for sensitive skin, no weird chemicals. :)

Vermelha
November 3rd, 2010, 08:34 PM

Neat! I like this! I may give it a try myself :D

Cheeks1206
November 3rd, 2010, 08:52 PM
I've used a few different products in a few different combinations and these are my favorites: JessieCurl Confident Coils and Rockin' Ringlets (CC applied first, RR applied on top); Curl Keeper applied first (with the focus around my part/canopy, my frizziest areas) with Manzanilla applied over it; or, CK applied as before with home-made flax seed gel applied over it. The Manzanilla gel is really nice, it has never left my hair feeling crunchy and I never get flakes when I use it. It does contain a silicone in it, but it is one that is water soluble. So far, I've not had any build up issues from it. I'm thinking of getting a tube of plain KY Jelly as a replacement for the CK as I hear the ingredients are essentially the same as CK.

I have HATED LA Looks sports gel. I'm sure it's an application problem since quite a few other people have had no problem using it. :shrug: I've had zero luck with it. L'Oreal Out of Bed texturizer also did not work out for me. I think I ended up throwing it away. That's another product that tons of other people love and just did not work for me.

CurlyTresses
November 3rd, 2010, 09:08 PM

I'm planning on trying this method also. Need to read through thread a little more when I get chance, but this method definitely intrigued me.

Ditto on the Eco Styler Gel, worked pretty good and does not leave hair feeling too stiff.

GRU
November 4th, 2010, 07:34 AM
I rarely use gel, but if I do, I either make my own Flax Seed Gel, or I use Aloe Vera. I also have some Hydrating Gel that I got on clearance at Sally's, but I'm not sure if they still carry it (b/c it was on clearance).

I really *hate* crunchy, stiff, coated hair, so the lighter gels are what I prefer.

curlsgalore
November 4th, 2010, 07:46 AM
One of the things that helps me to avoid the "crunch" when using a gel, which I always do, is to use a good moisturizing leave-in or cream underneath my gel of choice. After my hair is completely dry, with minimal touching, I scrunch out the crunch with either a dab of my favorite oil, butter, or just dry hands. My favorite gels are Kinky curly curling custard (kind of pricey but well worth it and lasts me several months), Ecostyler (olive oil kind) or homemade flaxseed gel. Hope this helps. There are lots of great tips at naturallycurly.com as well.

CurlyTresses
November 4th, 2010, 10:12 AM
I rarely use gel, but if I do, I either make my own Flax Seed Gel, or I use Aloe Vera. I also have some Hydrating Gel that I got on clearance at Sally's, but I'm not sure if they still carry it (b/c it was on clearance).

I really *hate* crunchy, stiff, coated hair, so the lighter gels are what I prefer.

Ditto on the above. Also hate that stiff crunchy feeling and depending on the gel, they can sometimes leave hair feeling dry. Have been reading good things about Flax Seed Gel and also Aloe Vera. Will be trying it possibly today. Thanx :)

GRU
November 4th, 2010, 10:29 AM
Ditto on the above. Also hate that stiff crunchy feeling and depending on the gel, they can sometimes leave hair feeling dry. Have been reading good things about Flax Seed Gel and also Aloe Vera. Will be trying it possibly today. Thanx :)

I particularly like Aloe when I'm wearing my hair up -- it holds down the stickie-outie pieces so my hair looks as smooth as a 1a gal's, but it doesn't GLUE them down, so if I re-bun my hair at some point in the day, I don't have that pulling sensation.

Another good option is mixing oil with the aloe -- maybe 1 part oil to 3 parts aloe (this, of course, is for my oil-slurping coarse hair... mediums and fines might need to adjust it a bit!). Soft and smooth with no crunch or stuck-togetherness.

CurlyTresses
November 4th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I particularly like Aloe when I'm wearing my hair up -- it holds down the stickie-outie pieces so my hair looks as smooth as a 1a gal's, but it doesn't GLUE them down, so if I re-bun my hair at some point in the day, I don't have that pulling sensation.

Another good option is mixing oil with the aloe -- maybe 1 part oil to 3 parts aloe (this, of course, is for my oil-slurping coarse hair... mediums and fines might need to adjust it a bit!). Soft and smooth with no crunch or stuck-togetherness.

Thanks again for info on this. How do you prepare and use flaxseed gel. Thanks:o

CurlyTresses
November 4th, 2010, 10:47 AM
Wanted to add another non-hard drying gel that leaves curls soft is Sally's Aura Hypo-Allergenic Styling Gel. I paid $5.29 when I got mine but think it's probably $5.99 now, not sure. It's a good soft holding gel. Many at naturallycurly site praised it. HTH :)

GRU
November 4th, 2010, 11:02 AM
Thanks again for info on this. How do you prepare and use flaxseed gel. Thanks:o

I got my info here (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=61208). And you use it like any other hair gel. :)

Copasetic
November 4th, 2010, 11:34 AM
I don't think there is a high hold gel without crunch. Crunch is a good thing. Its what allows your hair to dry in curls. Just scrunch out the crunch when your hair is dry and you are good to go.

CurlyTresses
November 4th, 2010, 11:48 AM
I got my info here (http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/showthread.php?t=61208). And you use it like any other hair gel. :)

Gru, thank you ever soo kindly:flower: Had read good reviews about flax gel but never really looked into it. So its nice of you to take time to post your info, really appreciate it. Going to read link now as I'm going to try and buy som flax seeds this afternoon and try on hair little later or tomorrow. ;)

CurlyTresses
November 4th, 2010, 12:04 PM
I don't think there is a high hold gel without crunch. Crunch is a good thing. Its what allows your hair to dry in curls. Just scrunch out the crunch when your hair is dry and you are good to go.

Couple days ago I clarified my hair and did a honey hair treatment. Afterwards hair was soo soft that i ended up only using some coneless leave-in conditioner. Next day hair was still soft and didn't look too bad, but later just looked little too wild/poofy for me. Guess I'm used to having more of a gelled look/hold or defined curls, but also I probably didn't leave in enough condish. Why I'm also looking into possibly trying flaxseed or aloe gel.

I also agree that by using a good leave-in and/or using a little oil under a gel can help with the crunchy feeling and also scrunching out the crunch.

Copasetic, your hair is very pretty btw.

GRU
November 5th, 2010, 10:01 AM
Gru, thank you ever soo kindly:flower: Had read good reviews about flax gel but never really looked into it. So its nice of you to take time to post your info, really appreciate it.

You're very welcome, m'dear!

I have a whole folder of bookmarks in my browser of "LHC goodness"... comes in very handy for things like this!