PDA

View Full Version : Hair goals fallen short

rubyredslippers
May 30th, 2008, 12:36 AM
I got my hair trimmed today, as the ends were dry and splitting like crazy and ended up getting two inches cut off . . . two NECESSARY inches off, mind . . . bringing me to exactly where I was when I joined the board in December. Well, plus a quarter inch. All this despite my oiling the ends and keeping my hair virgin and bunning it overnight and S&Ding and switching to an organic shampoo.

Now, I know there’s a bright side. I know that my hair now has the slight U-shaped hemline that I’ve wanted and the stylist listened when I said I wanted layering in only the bottom four inches of hair and she did a good job of it too, and the ends feel really healthy.

But it’s just frustrating! Five months and no progress? Aaaragh!:taz:

[Feel free to post/vent/sympathize about how your own hair goals have fallen short. I should've mentioned this earlier.]

Saranne772
May 30th, 2008, 01:33 AM
Don't I just know the feeling!! But hang in there :) You will soon grow again and the hair which has grown is still there- 2 inches of healthy virgin hair :)

Kirin
May 30th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I hear you. Really I do, its very dissapointing, but at the same time an often nessesary evil. I recently had to trim off about an inch and a half that was just.......... abysmal. It only took a few days for me though to realize, I was back in love with my hair. It will take a long time for me to get rid of the layering effect growing out such short hair had, but I will be satisfied when it is all said and done.

spidermom
May 30th, 2008, 10:04 AM
Sometimes hair growth can be very fast after a trim, so enjoy your fresh ends and don't worry. I had a lot of splits in early March and had 3-4 inches cut off. It looked so much shorter that I wouldn't get a measurement because I didn't want to think about how many months growth I had lost. However, in 6 weeks my hair was back to pre-trim length (based on body part comparison), and it's still growing like crazy.

FrannyG
May 30th, 2008, 10:07 AM
Please don't look at it as a goal fallen short. Likely those ends were already damaged back in December. Now you have nice healthy ends, ready to keep growing. To me, that's progress!!! :flowers:

Islandgrrl
May 30th, 2008, 11:34 AM
If you look at it another way, you have made progress. Those ends were likely very damaged to start and would have needed trimming ANYWAY. The care you have been taking with your hair since December is surely bringing it into better condition overall, so that as it continues to grow you will have less damage and healthier hair as a result of the continued good care.

So maybe it's a temporary setback lengthwise, but an overall success in every other way! :)

hurricane_gia
May 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM
If you look at it another way, you have made progress. Those ends were likely very damaged to start and would have needed trimming ANYWAY. The care you have been taking with your hair since December is surely bringing it into better condition overall, so that as it continues to grow you will have less damage and healthier hair as a result of the continued good care.

Yes, I agree with Islandgrrl. It's not "no progress" if your hair is in better shape now than when you started. When I first joined LHC, I had layered hair, and I made the decision to trim the long layers every month until the shorter layers caught up. So for the whole first year, I didn't gain any length (except to the short layers). But I gained lots of progress, because I improved the texture and health of my hair, learned to maximize my waves, learned lots of great updos, and had lots of fun. Looking at pictures of my hair before and after that year, I could really tell a difference, even though the length was "the same."

Did you take any progress pics?

Exodus
May 30th, 2008, 04:00 PM
Five months? That's nothing, next year, FOUR YEARS after I officially started growing my hair, my hair will be shorter than ever since I'm going to cut the hennaed parts off. What about that.

psvzum
May 30th, 2008, 04:38 PM
I feel your pain : ) I recently had 4 inches cut off to help even out a shelf (major layer) as well as clean up ends. I miss the length but like how it looks overall much better.

Elainehali
May 30th, 2008, 07:24 PM
I haven't made any length progress either. Like other people have mentioned healthy ends are a different kind of progress.

So you're not alone.
:flowers:

DMARTINEZ
May 30th, 2008, 07:29 PM
I feel your pain : ) I recently had 4 inches cut off to help even out a shelf (major layer) as well as clean up ends. I miss the length but like how it looks overall much better.

And I feel your pain also! :flowers: I recently had hubs cut off 4" and it wasnt
damaged. I just thought it would be a nice change. Wrong. Oh well, at least
I can still bun it, but its made it harder. I cant wait to gain those 4in. back. :(

Deb

30isthenewblack
May 30th, 2008, 08:51 PM
Please don't look at it as a goal fallen short. Likely those ends were already damaged back in December. Now you have nice healthy ends, ready to keep growing. To me, that's progress!!! :flowers:

I agree FrannyG. I had two inches taken off lately and it hurt but the ends were damaged and my hair kept on breaking off. My hair wasn't growing and the length was just an illusion as it was very ratty at the ends. Now, my hair is still a decent length and the hair can grow from this point and I can move forward. I was in a cycle where I'd grow my hair, it would break and then I'd be back to square one. It's time to break out of that cycle. Now, we just have to look after it so we just have to have microtrims and no major length taken off. When my hair was trimmed, for some unknown reason, it grew about half an inch in two weeks. Sometimes you need to go backwards to move forwards.

centurytoolate
May 30th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Some time last year my hair had gotten below bsl. Unfortunately a good 2 1/2 inches of that was the last of the fried hair that needed to be cut off. It was kind of depressing but my hair finally looked good and I won't need to trim again for long time.