PDA

View Full Version : Thickness... decreasing?

amaiaisabella
November 3rd, 2010, 06:46 PM
Now that I'm back, I'm back full force :D

Okay, so I just had a haircut about two weeks ago to get rid of the worst of the bleaching damage. Good news, my hair looks supremely healthy. Bad news, she recommended blunt ends and to remove as much of the layering as possible, and now it's unmanageable! Supremely thick and puffy, and it just lies stiffly no matter what. I've clarified, moisturized, proteined, and all that, but have come to the conclusion it's the cut. I've damp-bunned for waves to hide the ends, to no avail. It won't hold a curl dry- wet, it's nice and wavy, provided I don't comb it. But if I don't comb, then it tangles like nobody's business. The layers used to help manage that, I suppose, since up until she cut it I had no more than minor tangling issues.

Would you all have any suggestions on washing and styling and the like to decrease this puffy stiffness? I really don't want to add in more layers at this length because it is still so short (just above APL when hanging in front). Otherwise it's soft and feels great health-wise, so it's a shame I can't enjoy it more now while it grows out :(

Roseate
November 3rd, 2010, 07:07 PM
I have no advice, just commiseration!

I got a trim in March (my first in a year), and ended up with a nearly blunt cut. I stuck with it for three months, and never liked it any better, so I got it re-layered in June. I had the same issues you're having; it became so unmanageable, I never wore it down, and the thick ends made it a PITA to put up! The re-layering was totally worth it, though I lost some length.

amaiaisabella
November 4th, 2010, 07:30 AM
Boo :( I'm going to try to stick it out but something's gotta give.

Anje
November 4th, 2010, 07:39 AM
Hmmm... Lots of braids?

Dreams_in_Pink
November 4th, 2010, 07:59 AM
Can you do buns? Buns work great with non-layered hair. (If sticks don't hold a hair fork will)

amaiaisabella
November 4th, 2010, 03:03 PM
No buns. They won't stay in with this renewed thickness. I used to be able to do buns at shoulder length and now I feel imprisoned :(

jenjen10
November 4th, 2010, 03:09 PM
I have thick hair and french twists were my usual hair style at that length.

I don't know the name of the other hairstyle I liked to do (it is some variation of a bun) but it is where you make a ponytail and then pull it halfway through the hair tie a second time. You then split the "loop" in half and put the loops formed to opposite sides of your head. You then put hair sticks through one loop, under the hair tie and through the other loop. It gives the illusion of a lot more hair and I always get a lot of compliments when I do this style (I still do it now from time to time although my hair is starting to get too long). Hope I explained it well enough.

GrowingGlory
November 4th, 2010, 03:19 PM
Maybe its the shampoo, conditioner, styling products that you use? Softer water might help. Do you oil your hair? A pleat or a French braid might be attractive and easier to manage.

amaiaisabella
November 5th, 2010, 05:43 AM
Anje, took your advice last night and did two pigtail braids with slightly damp hair, and put in some styling cream this morning to emphasize. Not sure if you can see with my dark hair, but here they are:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z20/amaiai64/IMG_1625.jpg

Very happy! They decrease length but my hair looks much better.