PDA

View Full Version : Do you oil your scalp or oil your hair?

Dreamkitty
November 3rd, 2010, 02:16 PM
I have for the most part, always oiled my hair but haven't really massaged my scalp with oil.

It is only recently, that I have begun massaging my scalp with oil as well as my hair, since joining LHC.

Does it actually make a difference? and is it good to oil both scalp and hair, or can you just massage the scalp with oil and end it there.

Lemur_Catta
November 3rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
I try to oil my scalp but I am not very consistent so I haven't seen results so far :D
When I remember to do it, I massage castor oil where I have a thin spot, due to a bad encounter with a ring on a friend's hand while running playing tag xD

aenflex
November 3rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Scalp and hair, though not always at the same time :)

Vermelha
November 3rd, 2010, 02:22 PM
Scalp and hair, especially before wash day. I'm consistent and thorough about both.

Sooze
November 3rd, 2010, 02:28 PM
Hair only - just where the moisture is needed most and nowhere else! :eyebrows:

GrowingGlory
November 3rd, 2010, 02:30 PM
Ends of my hair only.

In2wishin
November 3rd, 2010, 02:33 PM
I oil the ends of my hair with regular coconut oil before each wash.

Once a week I massage my scalp with a blend of fractionated coconut oil and essential oils to combat shedding.

enfys
November 3rd, 2010, 02:34 PM
Just the lengths of my hair. Honestly, my scalp needs no more oil adding to it!

Octave
November 3rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
Before wash day I usually oil my length with coconut oil. I started yesterday with putting some castor oil on my scalp...will be interesting to see if it will have an impact on my growth.
After I have washed it and while it's still damp I put a tiny amount of coconut oil on my ends.

Igor
November 3rd, 2010, 02:36 PM
Depends on the oil type. Coconut oil makes me itch like crazy so it’s the only oil I don’t put on my scalp too. Olive and grape seed I oil the scalp with. Makes my scalp feel healthy and moisturised

Dyefree
November 3rd, 2010, 02:54 PM
Well I just work it through, I do massage my scalp with my fingers whilst oiling, so I probably do get some on there, but i won't purposely oil it if that makes sense. :)

Vermelha
November 3rd, 2010, 02:55 PM
If your scalp is oily, you probably won't need it in the scalp.
If your scalp is dry, oil can be beneficial.
Everyone can benefit from oil on the length though.

There's not a "right" or "wrong" way. Just depending on your hair =)

mali
November 3rd, 2010, 02:56 PM
I oil my hair(sometimes) before washing.All of it,but I don't slather the oil.Just putting it in there,ya' know?

Jessikinz
November 3rd, 2010, 03:25 PM
Hair only, but lately I've been oiling my scalp to help with my dry flakey scalp.

jenwexler
November 3rd, 2010, 03:28 PM
Where can I buy castor oil?

Vermelha
November 3rd, 2010, 03:31 PM
Where can I buy castor oil?

At the drugstore or online. Health stores have castor oil that is Hexane-free, if you are allergic to it. Some people are allergic to it, so keep that in mind :)

princessp
November 3rd, 2010, 03:44 PM
I am now officially doing both. I used to only oil length, but I have discovered a good scalp oiling and massage is divine.

nemileo
November 3rd, 2010, 04:29 PM
I massage my scalp with coconut oil once a week or so. I am imagining that it has benefit my growt. I can really feel the blood flow awaking after the massage, and my hair gains more volume from it. But mostly I wear the oil on my length.

mira-chan
November 3rd, 2010, 05:30 PM
I oil my scalp and length. I have dry sebum so the scalp oiling helps break it up a bit. My hair is dry so oiling the length makes it more supple, less dried out straw.

pepperminttea
November 3rd, 2010, 05:56 PM
I sometimes do scalp massages with oil, but only pre-wash, and I oil my length a lot more frequently than my scalp.

spidermom
November 3rd, 2010, 05:59 PM
Never my scalp. It produces plenty of oil on its own. I only oil the bottom half of my length after the hair at my scalp starts looking oily. Of course when I comb out my hair, I probably transfer some of the oil to my scalp area and some of the sebum to my length. I "massage" my scalp by bending forward and combing my hair toward the floor, dragging the blunt teeth of my wooden comb against my scalp. Ahhhhhhhhhhh; feels so good!

Choctaw
November 3rd, 2010, 06:06 PM
I oil my scalp, temples, nape, ends. After a massage, the hair is pretty much oiled :)

selenechiba
November 3rd, 2010, 06:17 PM
Recently, both. I've always oiled my length before washing and then lightly afterward, but since starting the scalp massage in conjunction, there has been a noticeable growth increase. I now touch-up my roots every 1-2 weeks!

HintOfMint
November 3rd, 2010, 08:07 PM
Underlayer and ends only, with coconut oil after a wash.

Although, since I've been showering at night and putting my hair up, and sleepcaps just slide off my head, the oil has been getting on my pillow and making me break out, so I stopped oiling. My hair misses it, but I've just been adding coconut oil to my conditioner, which is better than not using it at all.

greentealeaf
November 3rd, 2010, 08:49 PM
I just oil my hair from the nape down, really focusing on the ends. I find the other parts just don't need the extra oil.

lw8666
November 3rd, 2010, 09:48 PM
I oil my hair only with coconut oil before a wash.

Pierre
November 3rd, 2010, 09:54 PM
I oil my hair, unless my scalp is itching and I can't henna just yet, in which case I oil my scalp.

MinderMutsig
November 3rd, 2010, 11:47 PM
I sometimes do scalp massages with oil, but only pre-wash, and I oil my length a lot more frequently than my scalp. This.
Oiling and massaging the scalp has reduced itching for me and I've been able to stretch longer between washes. I think it's because I don't touch my scalp as much in between washes now that it doesn't itch so less grease and less washing.

rosek
November 4th, 2010, 12:03 AM
I oil only from the ears down, the day before I wash.

Loreley
November 4th, 2010, 01:26 AM
I oil just my length because I have oily scalp.

Qadupae
November 4th, 2010, 01:41 AM
The day before I shampoo, which is only once a week, I oil scalp and hair. I have oily hair, but I do scalp too because the stuff I use has...I think menthol, and that is supposed to help circulation to the scalp. It smells like Tiger Balm ^_^

starlights
November 4th, 2010, 08:28 AM
I massage my scalp -i found this eliminates any dandruff, or dry fllaky scalp. I massage the length after which helps to nourish and protect the hair

Madora
November 4th, 2010, 08:40 AM
No, I don't. I brush 75 strokes a day and that's it.

Lozzie
November 8th, 2010, 07:44 AM
I oil the ends of my hair with regular coconut oil before each wash.

Once a week I massage my scalp with a blend of fractionated coconut oil and essential oils to combat shedding.

In2wishin, does adding essential oil to coconut oil have any other benefits apart from making the oil smell nice? I wondered as i sometimes cocounut oil my hair and have thought about adding essential oils as i love them... wondered from someone who has experimented.. :D

jojo
November 8th, 2010, 07:57 AM
I lightly oil the ends daily and then bun, but once a week I do an overnight heavy oil which includes my scalp too. I notice a huge difference in my hair since doing this in relation to shine, thickness and retaining the length plus the scalp oils have totally eradicated my psoriasis. My hair is neither dry or greasy just normal but it loves oil.

Henrietta
November 12th, 2010, 09:56 AM
I oil my hair only, unless it's my quarterly deep oiling treatment. I don't think that my scalp and my scalp hair need so much moisture and I'd have to shampoo more intensively to wash off the oil, when putting condish on my length allows me to get rid of the oil easily.

Lianna
November 12th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Sometimes I oil my scalp too, some oils promoter fast blood flow, thus hair growth. My daily oiling is only length though.

allfeya
November 12th, 2010, 12:05 PM
I add essential oils, usualy ylang-yland or lavender, to almond oil and massage the scalp.

little_cherry
November 12th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Yes, I oil m hair because it is less mechanically damaging than brushing the hair daily. I oil my scalp with castor and scritch it with my wide tooth wooden comb because it feels good (once a week), and I oil my hair whenever I feel the need. Sometimes I oil damp, or dry....recently I oiled wet hair (Hi Dreams_in_pink! ;) ).

Embrace1913
November 12th, 2010, 12:31 PM
Hi there! I oil my scalp once a week with warm oil (olive, coconut, avocado, or sweet almond) and I oil the length and the ends just about every day. I've noticed that my scalp is much less ichy and flaky since I started oiling. I oil the length & ends while damp to seal in moisture :)

Vermelha
November 12th, 2010, 12:33 PM
With my hair pulled back, it's hard to oil my scalp, so I just oil the hair and brush through with a stiff club brush. I apply castor oil to the edges and brush to help encourage thicker hair in these areas...

BTW, oiling has really helped grow out this disaster section that I had to cut off this summer due to my hands having super glue on them. It blended in very nicely now.

In2wishin
November 12th, 2010, 12:52 PM
In2wishin, does adding essential oil to coconut oil have any other benefits apart from making the oil smell nice? I wondered as i sometimes cocounut oil my hair and have thought about adding essential oils as i love them... wondered from someone who has experimented.. :D

The EO's I use are supposed to help with shedding/thinning hair. In 1 oz of the oil I add:

8 drops atlas cedarwood
12 drops lavender
12 drops rosemary
8 drops thyme
8 drops palmarosa

I massage a small amount into my scalp at least an hour before washing or ovenight if I can.

tinygirl
November 12th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I oil my ends if I'm putting my hair up in a bun and know I won't wear it down before I wash it and I slather my entire hair in oil (always sweet almond and jojoba) before a wash for a few hours once a week.
I do give my scalp a massage during these few hours so it definitely 'oils my scalp'.

Yes, I oil m hair because it is less mechanically damaging than brushing the hair daily. I oil my scalp with castor and scritch it with my wide tooth wooden comb because it feels good (once a week), and I oil my hair whenever I feel the need. Sometimes I oil damp, or dry....recently I oiled wet hair (Hi Dreams_in_pink! ;) ).

regarding castor oil...is your really really sticky? Because I bought mine and its SO sticky, I'm scared to put it in my hair!

Forever_Sophie
November 12th, 2010, 01:59 PM
For the past decade, I've only oiled the length (with olive oil, coconut, jojoba....); in the past month, I've started using castor oil on my scalp because of extreme shedding :( I think it's maybe starting to work...

Charlotte:)
November 12th, 2010, 09:10 PM
I put coconut oil on the ends of my braid every night. I don't put it anywhere else though, or else I have to wash my hair with shampoo like 6 times to get it all out or else it's limp and tangley!

CarpeDM
November 13th, 2010, 03:22 PM
I like to oil both :)

StraduX
November 16th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I don't oil my hair, but are there any disadvantages of one or the other? By oiling your scalp, you may be signaling your scalp to produce less oils, which is desirable for some, while not for others.

artemis_e.
November 16th, 2010, 09:51 PM
I like to do both, though I am more consistent with oiling my hair versus my scalp. I apply tea tree oil to my scalp (currently suffering itchies) and a commercial blend of various oils to my hair. I also like coconut oil for this purpose.

Schipperchow
November 20th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I oil my scalp with a combo of coconut oil, herbs & essential oils for scalp massages. When I oiled my hair, I experienced excessive shedding & hair loss. However, I will put a small amount on my hands (coconut, olive, jojoba) & rub over my hair if wearing it out. I also like to put some on the last 2 inches of my braid.

Nae
November 20th, 2010, 06:04 PM
I haven't delved into the land of scalp oiling. Perhaps I will try that soon. I have been oiling the length with cocnut oil with great success for over a year now. I put a little on the ends almost every day. I slather it in coconut oil before each wash, and I put a tiny amount into wet hair right out of the shower. Just lovely!

boomtownrat
November 20th, 2010, 09:45 PM
I'm trying to figure out which oil to use for a scalp massage to combat itching and flakes, so about once a week I've been oiling my scalp pre-wash using either coconut oil or grapeseed oil. My hair is so short that most of it ends up getting oiled too. :) I'd do it more often, but it takes so long and it requires more washing to get the oil out. It seems like an SLS shampoo followed by a CO-wash is the only thing that really gets it out, unless I want to shampoo twice and end up with hair that feels dry and coarse.

Juneii
November 20th, 2010, 09:56 PM
oh no no, my scalp is oily all by itself! I usually just oil the last 4-5 inches of my hair as those are the ones that dry out the most.

lhangel9
November 21st, 2010, 01:49 PM
I do both - pretty consistent.

Forever_Sophie
November 21st, 2010, 02:18 PM
For years, like, the past decade, I would just oil the length, but as a result of shedding, I've begun applying castor oil to my scalp overnight before washing (with lots of coconut oil on the length). Been doing so for the past 6 weeks, maybe.

BellCat
November 24th, 2010, 09:51 AM
I usually heat olive oil in the microwave for a couple seconds and lather it all over my scalp and length once a week. Its a little tricky to get out but it makes such a big difference to my hair! I used to massage it into the ends daily too

keepmyhair
November 24th, 2010, 09:59 AM
I'm trying to figure out which oil to use for a scalp massage to combat itching and flakes, so about once a week I've been oiling my scalp pre-wash using either coconut oil or grapeseed oil. My hair is so short that most of it ends up getting oiled too. :) I'd do it more often, but it takes so long and it requires more washing to get the oil out. It seems like an SLS shampoo followed by a CO-wash is the only thing that really gets it out, unless I want to shampoo twice and end up with hair that feels dry and coarse.

I have tried a couple of oils (coconut, castor & mineral), even though they did help me make to make my hair soft, none helped me for itching and flakes. I have even tried an anti-dandruff oil (Clear), but that did not help either.

Sometime back I read that Nizoral shampoo can help. I am thinking of trying it one of these days. Will post my result on the forums.