PDA

View Full Version : epsom salt for hair growth

LadyJennifer
November 3rd, 2010, 01:45 PM
I was wondering if anyone has tried this? I am currently using some epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) in my CO and water mix, letting is sit for 15 min or so while I do other shower things, then rinse. I started because I thought it might help with my itchy scalp, but then I read more about epsom salt and found out it is magnesium and sulfur - both of which (I've heard) is good for hair growth. So I thought I'd try. I have only been doing it for a bit over a week or maybe two, so it's really too soon to tell, but it seems to be growing faster.
Has anyone else heard of this or tried it?

aenflex
November 3rd, 2010, 01:49 PM
No - new to me as well. I would think long term usage of salts would lead to some dryness? And perhaps strip some colour? Have you experienced that at all? I've been looking at ways to get more sulphur, although admittedly looking for non-topical ways after a disasterous bout with MTG :)
Please keep us posted as to whether to does help your growth or have any detrimental effects.

Niwa
November 3rd, 2010, 01:55 PM
It seems to me that, as aenflex pointed out, the salt would have negative effects (dryness, splitting, roughness) over time. Perhaps, however, if your hair retains moisture easily and is hardier than more fragile types, the epsom salt's potential positives might benefit your hair before its potential negative effects accummulate.

LadyJennifer
November 3rd, 2010, 02:03 PM
No, epsom salt is unlike other salts, it actually helps retain moisture, not strips it. That's (partly) why it's so nice for baths, it helps your skin be soft and smooth, not dried out.

ETA, my hair loves moisture, and has never been softer. It does get dried out easily if I use sulfate poos and such, which is why I CO.

maxzeen
November 3rd, 2010, 02:09 PM
Hmmm...interesting. Keep us updated please!

LadyJennifer
December 10th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Checking in to say I'm been using about a tsp of epsom salt in my CO twice a week now for about two months. My hair has grown quite quckly (especially considering I was in a stall) at two inches in two months! I'm so excited! It is also really soft, shiny, and healthy. Less shedding in the shower too. My sister has also started using it, and says her hair is growing faster too!
:cheese:

Cailie
December 10th, 2010, 02:10 PM
wow, very very interesting !!

do you have any links regarding to this ??
has it helped the itchy scalp too ?

Sunny_side_up
December 10th, 2010, 02:14 PM
Sounds like its done a great job on your hair! Always have thought your hair looks so healthy and glossy anyways;) i used to work as a sales assistant in a pharmacy and we'd sell this stuff in 1kg bags(people did say its a lovely bath soak) and its pretty cheap!

little_cherry
December 10th, 2010, 02:16 PM
Apparently, many mix ES with conditioner. As a label reader, I notice "Magnesium sulfate" in a lot of curl enhancing products.

MandaMom2Three
December 10th, 2010, 02:27 PM
I have conditioner, I have epsom salts, I think I shall try this! How do you combine? Crush the salt first? Trying to imagine big chunks of ES dissolving in conditioner, unless maybe it was very thin perhaps.

LadyJennifer
December 10th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I don't have any links, and I could not find anything online. I just started for the itchy scalp (which is much better, btw).
I put about a tsp in warm water and it dissolves, then I add the condish. I water down my condish for CO anyway because I find it cleans better.

little_cherry
December 10th, 2010, 02:40 PM
There are a few links in google stating that it is good for the initial treatment, then dries out the hair for some.

Personally, ES has always dried out my hair...but there are some that mix equal parts of ES and conditioner. Not really my cup of tea.

Quoted from: http://malibuc.com/content/Cn_Hair_Solutions_Hard_Water.aspx

Magnesium - Usually found wherever calcium comes naturally from the ground, magnesium is abundant in the soil and is very much a part of the mineral complex associated with hard water.

How magnesium effects hair:

Magnesium causes hair to feel dry.
Magnesium causes hair to appear weighted down.
Magnesium can inhibit the proper processing of perms, color and relaxers.
Magnesium causes hair to lack shine.

Magnesium is often found in hard water and is paired with calcium.

LadyJennifer
December 10th, 2010, 02:59 PM
There are a few links in google stating that it is good for the initial treatment, then dries out the hair for some.

Personally, ES has always dried out my hair...but there are some that mix equal parts of ES and conditioner. Not really my cup of tea.

Quoted from: http://malibuc.com/content/Cn_Hair_Solutions_Hard_Water.aspx

Magnesium is often found in hard water and is paired with calcium.

ES did none of that for me (and my hair gets dried out easily, which is why I CO). I only use a teaspoon though, and of course I rinse it out.

TwilightBloom
December 10th, 2010, 07:22 PM
sounds very interesting, i may have to try it..

greyTraveler
December 10th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I (inadvertently) washed my hair with epsom salt -- since it was unintentional I can't say for sure how concentrated it was; and I definately did not use conditioner with it.

I had the most massive shed I remember. But since I've been afraid to go near epsom salt since I can't say whether or not it was a coincidence; given your success it seems likely it was. I'm curious now.

PolarCathy
December 14th, 2010, 11:15 AM
Interesting thread, I would definitely like to have more information before I put that on my hair though. I know its pH is almost neutral so that shouldn't be a problem. But I *think*people use it in (hot) baths because it draws toxins out of the body by osmosis. If it does the same with the hair, that must be dehydrating. I want the water going into my hair instead. But I am really curious.

lingxi
January 14th, 2011, 01:51 AM
I'm not sure about epsom salts...but on another note, Lush produces a product called "Big Shampoo" that's full of sea salt, and gives my hair heaps of "oomph" and cleans my scalp well. It's a clarifying shampoo and should only be used once a week as it's too strong for everyday use. Just my two cents.

patchoulilove
January 15th, 2011, 08:09 PM
This sounds like a fun experiment. I think I may try this out. Or, better yet, keep my hair down as I soak in an ES infused bath. Sounds relaxing! Can't wait to read more results from everyone trying this.

ravenreed
January 15th, 2011, 08:45 PM
I tried epsom salt on my scalp just once and it gave me the worst flaky, unhappy scalp that took weeks to settle down.

CaityBear
February 28th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Question for those who have tried it....how did you do it? Mixed with conditioner? Just rinse with salt water?

prosperina
March 1st, 2011, 01:25 PM
Has anyone here done flotation therapy? It's really wonderful, albeit a bit pricey. It is super relaxing and the ES didn't seem to have much of an effect on my hair. I did this last weekend. I floated in an enclosed pod of warm water and epsom salt. My body felt nice and moisturized afterward, but my hair was super stiff and dry. I used most of a bottle of cheap conditionner and it was back to normal. I washed it another time Sunday, a regular shampoo and conditionner wash, and my hair feels very clean, soft, but a bit fly away.

Kumiko033
March 1st, 2011, 01:56 PM
This sounds very scary to me especialy with already dry hair, still I'm quite intrested
are more people trying this out ?

autumn_aqua
March 3rd, 2011, 09:53 PM
I've floated a few times and it is so wonderfully relaxing. I've always worried a little about how it would affect my hair since the concentration of ES is so high in the tanks (hundreds of pounds in a relatively small amount of water.) After floating I've usually just rinsed really well and then followed with a CO wash in the shower at the float place so I don't take up too much of the shower time. My hair does feel somewhat dry after, a little fly away, and tons of body, but I haven't noticed any lasting ill effects. Then again, I can't afford to go regularly. :)

I actually have a float appointment later on this month, after finals. My hair has grown a fair bit and the ends feel more fragile then they did the last time I floated, but I don't think there's really any way to protect the hair. I might try a silicone swim cap and see if it helps.

CaityBear
March 4th, 2011, 03:09 PM
I dissolved sea salt into some water and mixed that into my conditioner then put the conditioner on dry hair and let it sit probably for about half an hour before washing out and it made my hair super soft. And it's still soft!! It's been I think two days? My hair never stays this soft for this long...

Anyway, that was with sea salt...but I do plan on trying epsom salt soon and see how it compares to sea salt.

OhMyCurlz
March 5th, 2011, 01:07 AM
I think epsom salts is just like any other salt on the hair. For some people (as seen in "beachy wave" hair sprays) it dries the hair out and makes it crunchy and unmanageable....for some people it makes the hair soft conditioned and curly. I wonder if hair porosity plays a role in this? I have extraordinarily over porus, bleached kinky 3c curls that are prone to tangling. I've never experienced dry hair from epsom salts. Then again I generally use heavy oils like perilla and castor oil when I do mixes like that to combat any dryness I may experience. I always see curls though.

CrisDee
March 5th, 2011, 09:16 AM
What is the ratio of epsom salts to water that you use? And you did say you mix 50/50 conditioner and epsom saltwater to CO wash? I'm gonna try this a few times and see what happens - I'm all for anything that might promote growth! :)

ratgirldjh
March 5th, 2011, 09:49 AM
I used to use Queen Helene Lavender bath salts - which is mostly epsom salt and some lavender oil - and I would do mermaid soaks in it because I loved how full and shiny and soft it would leave my hair after!

CrisDee
March 6th, 2011, 07:48 AM
Ok, tried it for the first time this morning. Mixed about 3 tbsp. epsom salts with about 4 oz. hot tap water, shook until dissolved. Then mixed equal parts of the ES water with conditioner, about 2 tbsp. each (that was all the conditioner that was left in the bottle), shook to mix. Used that mix to CO my hair. So far, I think I like it - it seems to have perked up my waves that I'd all but lost after I started with henna, and it seems pretty soft as well. It's pouring rain here today, so with the humidity my hair isn't quite dry yet - but the initial result is clean, soft and wavy. It would be beyond fabulous if I also get faster growth out of the deal! :)

GRU
March 6th, 2011, 10:59 AM
Just a note for folks -- it may be called "epsom salt" but it's not really a salt in the way we think of.

Table Salt is sodium chloride.
Epsom Salt is magnesium sulfate,
Sea Salt is around 85% sodium chloride and 10% magnesium sulfate with trace amounts of a variety of other minerals such as calcium and potassium, etc.

Just something to keep in mind when experimenting.

LadyJennifer
March 7th, 2011, 01:30 PM
What is the ratio of epsom salts to water that you use? And you did say you mix 50/50 conditioner and epsom saltwater to CO wash? I'm gonna try this a few times and see what happens - I'm all for anything that might promote growth! :)

I used about a tablespoon if es to my water and condish mix. I haven't done it in a while, I need to do it again!

CrisDee
March 7th, 2011, 03:49 PM
I used about a tablespoon if es to my water and condish mix. I haven't done it in a while, I need to do it again!

Oh! So you mix the conditioner and the water first, then add the ES at the time you wash? I'm pondering ways to make this work when I'm on the road.

Yesterday was my first go at using the ES with the conditioner, and I don't know if it's my imagination, but my hair seems to be staying cleaner looking longer than it usually does. Is that possible??

wahmof9
March 7th, 2011, 04:28 PM
I don't have any links, and I could not find anything online. I just started for the itchy scalp (which is much better, btw).
I put about a tsp in warm water and it dissolves, then I add the condish. I water down my condish for CO anyway because I find it cleans better.

Do you co only or do you cwc?

wahmof9
March 7th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Ok, tried it for the first time this morning. Mixed about 3 tbsp. epsom salts with about 4 oz. hot tap water, shook until dissolved. Then mixed equal parts of the ES water with conditioner, about 2 tbsp. each (that was all the conditioner that was left in the bottle), shook to mix. Used that mix to CO my hair. So far, I think I like it - it seems to have perked up my waves that I'd all but lost after I started with henna, and it seems pretty soft as well. It's pouring rain here today, so with the humidity my hair isn't quite dry yet - but the initial result is clean, soft and wavy. It would be beyond fabulous if I also get faster growth out of the deal! :)

What is ES?

LadyJennifer
March 7th, 2011, 04:36 PM
Oh! So you mix the conditioner and the water first, then add the ES at the time you wash? I'm pondering ways to make this work when I'm on the road.

Yesterday was my first go at using the ES with the conditioner, and I don't know if it's my imagination, but my hair seems to be staying cleaner looking longer than it usually does. Is that possible??

Yes, but you could easily disolve epsom salt in water, then add conditioner to the mix when you wash. So if you were on the road, you would have your squirt bottle (I use a color activator bottle from Sally's, but you can use one of those mustard/ketchup sqeeze bottles you can buy) with es and water, and your conditioner bottle. :)

LadyJennifer
March 7th, 2011, 04:37 PM
Do you co only or do you cwc?

When I first wrote the post I CO'd only, now I CWC (due to my prego hormones messing everything up, lol). I just put diluted condish on the ends, then I mix up a drop of 'poo, water, condish, and epsom salt for the roots/scalp only.

What is ES?
Epsom salt:)

Zefyra
March 9th, 2011, 10:16 AM
Hmm... I think I need to try this... Sounds like an interesting experiment and whatd'yaknow, its Wash Day!

wahmof9
March 9th, 2011, 10:39 AM
Started this morning! Will report later...hair still wet

CrisDee
March 9th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Did my second wash today - went 3 days between washes and my hair didn't look at all gross (like it usually does with 3 days between washes). LadyJennifer, that's pretty much how I've been doing it at home. I think I will try that on the road, thanks! :)

LadyJennifer
March 9th, 2011, 01:56 PM
Did my second wash today - went 3 days between washes and my hair didn't look at all gross (like it usually does with 3 days between washes). LadyJennifer, that's pretty much how I've been doing it at home. I think I will try that on the road, thanks! :)

Yay! Glad it worked for you:)

wahmof9
March 9th, 2011, 09:22 PM
So far so good except I oiled first as usual and my hair does not seem as clean. But I also used a different cond.

As to growth we will see in a few weeks

CrisDee
March 10th, 2011, 05:35 AM
Hmmm, for some reason the wispy hair around my face looks frizzy and dry - it doesn't feel dry at all, it feels soft and wonderful but it doesn't look good at all. I had to change conditioner, I ran out of the one I liked so much that the one store I found it in stopped carrying. I'll try a little oil on the ends, see if that makes any difference. The grand experiment continues...

wahmof9
March 15th, 2011, 10:19 PM
One week, I like it so far. Can't say it has helped with growth yet

LadyJennifer
March 16th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Hmmm, for some reason the wispy hair around my face looks frizzy and dry - it doesn't feel dry at all, it feels soft and wonderful but it doesn't look good at all. I had to change conditioner, I ran out of the one I liked so much that the one store I found it in stopped carrying. I'll try a little oil on the ends, see if that makes any difference. The grand experiment continues...

Maybe reduce the dose?
I always follow up with an acidic rinse, don't know if that makes a difference.

CrisDee
March 16th, 2011, 07:34 AM
I think (hope!) it may have been the conditioner - I'm now on a hunt for a new one, as stupid White Rain now has cones! :angry: Gonna dump the WR from my travel bottle and fill with VO5 and try that - once I find a conditioner that doesn't make it frizz, I will then re-add the ES and see what happens.

CaityBear
March 23rd, 2011, 12:35 AM
So I decided that I'm going to use sea salt for a month (just because that's what I tried first and it happened to be about the beginning of March) then epsom salts for a month.

So far, I've used the salt water mixed with conditioner for every wash this month (I always saturate my hair in the conditioner and let it sit before showering so that I can have shorter showers and I find that I like that better for my hair as well) and my hair has been feeling so incredibly soft. I don't even have to add any of my leave in conditioner or any oils.

So far...hair growth...can't tell yet. But I will definitely be checking every month from now on to see...

Debra83
March 23rd, 2011, 12:48 AM
Anybody else weighing in? I have both sea salt AND Epsom Salt....not sure whether or not to try it, but the lure of faster growth is calling me for the ES....

Anymore growth results on either method out there yet?

CrisDee
March 23rd, 2011, 02:29 AM
I'll hafta try to measure when I get home. I've been averaging once a week with the epsom salts mix. I don't have a striped shirt, and my camera is broken, so it's hard to get an accurate photo right now. I'll try to post a photo tomorrow and get your opinions...

LadyJennifer
March 24th, 2011, 09:47 AM
So I decided that I'm going to use sea salt for a month (just because that's what I tried first and it happened to be about the beginning of March) then epsom salts for a month.

So far, I've used the salt water mixed with conditioner for every wash this month (I always saturate my hair in the conditioner and let it sit before showering so that I can have shorter showers and I find that I like that better for my hair as well) and my hair has been feeling so incredibly soft. I don't even have to add any of my leave in conditioner or any oils.

So far...hair growth...can't tell yet. But I will definitely be checking every month from now on to see...

FWIW, sea salt and epsom salt are very different in composition and will not have the same effects on your hair/body that epsom salt will. :)
sea salt is mostly sodium with some minerals, epsom salt is magnesium and sulfur.

ETA: I measured my hair this morning and it's at 24" even, and I just started using the epsom salt again maybe two weeks ago. We'll see!

CaityBear
March 24th, 2011, 11:33 AM
FWIW, sea salt and epsom salt are very different in composition and will not have the same effects on your hair/body that epsom salt will. :)
sea salt is mostly sodium with some minerals, epsom salt is magnesium and sulfur.

ETA: I measured my hair this morning and it's at 24" even, and I just started using the epsom salt again maybe two weeks ago. We'll see!

That's why I'm going to use epsom salts next month. The first time I heard about using salt, it was sea salt so that's what I'm using for the first while.

So I know it's completely different than epsom salt, but since it's salt, I figured I'd let people know how it's working (for me at least) in case anybody else was interested in general.

knoxkatie
March 24th, 2011, 11:52 AM
hmm, whenever I accidentally get my hair in my epsom salt bath it makes it really dry. my hair really doesn't like it.

CrisDee
April 7th, 2011, 07:34 AM
Well something's working, that's for sure:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4379&pictureid=99879

I've been doing the epsom salt thing at least once a week for about a month. Plus the standard hair vitamins (biotin, MSM, etc.). I think I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing - at this rate I'll be at least APL some time this summer! :cheese:

LadyJennifer
April 7th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Well something's working, that's for sure:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4379&pictureid=99879

I've been doing the epsom salt thing at least once a week for about a month. Plus the standard hair vitamins (biotin, MSM, etc.). I think I'm gonna keep doing what I'm doing - at this rate I'll be at least APL some time this summer! :cheese:

Wow! Great growth and gorgeous hair! :)

jojo
April 7th, 2011, 05:51 PM
Interesting, I am tempted. I know if I want to lose a few inches a few spoonfulls in the bath works, wonder if doing a mermaid soak with this may help?

CrisDee
April 10th, 2011, 10:01 AM
Not sure if I see any big growth difference or not:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4379&pictureid=100090

The pic on the left is just now, the pic on the right is exactly a month ago today. Today's pic came out awfully blurry for some reason, and my hair is a little flippy-uppy in the back; plus my hair wasn't quite dry in last month's pic - so it's not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. But I'm getting enough softness with the ES that I'm going to continue for a couple months and see what happens. Will report back next month...

CrisDee
November 20th, 2011, 05:32 AM
Well I sort of fell off the epsom salts bandwagon when I jumped onto the castor oil bandwagon. Just rediscovered the epsom salts while trying to shake this cold/bronchitis, I'd read that epsom salts baths pull toxins out of the body and can help get rid of illness. So I've been doing mermaid soaks while soaking my body, then CO'ing my hair after my bath. The epsom salts really seem to make my hair soft while encouraging waves - usually things that make my hair soft tend to pull out the waves. Anybody else still using epsom salts to encourage growth?

ladylowtide
December 16th, 2011, 09:39 PM
I take epson salt baths regularly, I now but my hair up while I bathe because it really really dries it out. So I guess for those with dry ends, this would not be a good idea.

Mariakine
December 19th, 2011, 04:16 AM
Epsom salt gives volume and shine, it's remineralizing for hair and skin. I've seen it used in shampoos and conditioners about 5%. And, used alone, it is a scalp scrub that improves blood irrigation, and so, growing, and helps with itchy scalp and dandruff.

LadyJennifer
December 19th, 2011, 09:58 AM
Epsom salt gives volume and shine, it's remineralizing for hair and skin. I've seen it used in shampoos and conditioners about 5%. And, used alone, it is a scalp scrub that improves blood irrigation, and so, growing, and helps with itchy scalp and dandruff.

Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

Lipbalmbabe
February 26th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Any updates?

blondie9912
February 26th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Wow, this sounds REALLY interesting! How are people using it, mermaid soaks? And do you leave it in or rinse it out?

jojo
April 7th, 2012, 05:12 PM
*bumping this up* any updates?

Ive just ordered 1kg of the ES, figuring if it dont work for my hair, it will for my body!

swearnsue
April 7th, 2012, 08:24 PM
If Epsom Salt is sulphur then I'm wondering if it would be a really cheap substitute to the Shapley's MTG hair treatment stuff. I read all the posts and noone is trying to put ES on just the scalp, massage in, wait a couple of hours and then shampooing out. But the ES would have to be mixed with something...maybe aloe vera? IDK.

floraflowerpowe
November 17th, 2016, 10:06 AM
I'm curious if people are still doing this? I've recently read some article about how good this should be for your skin and I was wondering the effects of it on hair. Have to try this myself!

Shigure
November 13th, 2017, 10:54 AM
When I was starting with no poo few years ago I read that ES wash was one way to clean your hair. I tried. My hair was nasty. It set my off.
I think I will try again but with some moisturizing agent like conditioner or water rise. It would be nice if it would work as grow booster and keep my hair clean longer.
Hope is dying last :D

shaluwm_agape
April 11th, 2018, 01:49 AM
So i kinda did not want to revive this thread but oh well there are a lot more threads on ES & i didnt want to make another one

So i just washed my hair with epsom salt water and a tiny bit of my fave oil. So far i like it. Because it dissolves it isnt harsh like BS and it has a hint of a lavender scent! Because my salt was lavender infused! Once my hsir dries i will let you guys know

lapushka
April 11th, 2018, 03:24 PM
Why do I get the sense that ES water might make oily hair more oily? :hmm:

shaluwm_agape
April 11th, 2018, 05:13 PM
I dont feel my hair is more oily the fact that it contains hydrated magnesium left my scalp moisturized