PDA

View Full Version : The reaction of my hair stylist

super_pudding
May 29th, 2008, 09:05 PM
Hi everyone!
Ok, so I'm new to this long hair journey and my mom broke it to my hair stylist that I'm not coming to her for cuts anymore since I'm trying to grow it out. Her immediate response was "It's going to get thin." Is there any truth to this, or is she just trying to keep from losing a long-time customer?

Carolyn
May 29th, 2008, 09:13 PM
Yes, I'd say so :rolleyes: Let your hair grow and see what happens. Learn all you can about good long hair care and I'll bet it won't thin out at all. Good luck in growing your hair :)

spidermom
May 29th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Yes, there's some truth to this. Not every hair on your hair is growing at the same time or the same rate. If you don't trim your fastest-growing hairs back a bit so that slower-growing hairs can catch up, you are likely to end up with very thin ends. Plus damage will cause some breaking off. I don't think you can completely avoid damage, although you can certainly minimize it a great deal.

Some people's hair does grow quite evenly. For every rule, there's the exception. There's no harm in sticking to your plan. If your hair ever starts looking too thin at the bottom, you can always go get a trim at that time.

super_pudding
May 29th, 2008, 09:18 PM
Thanks Carolyn ^^ I was pretty sure that was the case when I'd heard of her opinion (hair stylers and their opinions :rolleyes:)

super_pudding
May 29th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks as well Spidermom :) The only problem with going in to get trims is that her "trims" are never really trims and turn out being more of a full on cut

Nevermore
May 29th, 2008, 09:21 PM
Man, what a shabby way to keep a customer. I'd skip this stylist if you did get trims. I assume she meant your hemline will get thin/ratty looking, instead of all over thinning. If she meant the first, then that varies, if she meant the second, she's...well, full of crap.

I haven't had a trim, though I do S&D, in the year and a half I've been growing, during which I went from SUPER! short (like 3 inches tops) to an inch and a half away from hip. My ends are thick. Some people here, spidermom included, get very regular (I believe she said every three months she gets a trim) trims to keep their ends nice.

Bottom line here is that some people need trims to maintain a hemline they like and some people don't. It's up to you.

DecafJane
May 29th, 2008, 09:22 PM
That is one of the reasons that I am scared to go back to a hairdresser until my hair is at least BSL, despite what the ends might end up looking like - I don't want to lose too much length until I am ready!

squiggyflop
May 29th, 2008, 09:23 PM
my hair got alot thinner at the ends as it got longer because i had layers.. ive cut out 4 inches of the layers since august.. some of my hair grew unnaturally fast and the rest of my hair is trying to play catch up.. im sure that anyone with fast growth would tell you that not all the hairs grow at the same rate..

properly taken care of hair with occasional micro trims shouldnt get thin.. it just wont be as fluffy.. well unless you sleep with your hair in braids.. my hair becomes super puffy if i sleep with more than one bun on my head..

hurricane_gia
May 29th, 2008, 09:26 PM
If your hair is long enough that you can comb all of it to the front and see your own ends, then you can do the trimming yourself!

spidermom
May 29th, 2008, 09:26 PM
Thanks as well Spidermom :) The only problem with going in to get trims is that her "trims" are never really trims and turn out being more of a full on cut

That really stinks! If you end up wanting/needing a trim, you'll have to find somebody else.

My hair grows extremely unevenly. Sometimes before going in for a trim, I'll find 1-4 hairs that are as much as 2-4 inches longer than any other hairs. My hem will look like this yyvVvy

spidermom
May 29th, 2008, 09:34 PM
Just wanted to add that to some stylists, "trim" means "cut it back to the style that I had before."

super_pudding
May 29th, 2008, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the info everyone. I'm pretty sure she meant that it'd get thin all over (even if that is crap lol). I've had this conversation with her before, but I just dont trust her point of view too much.

I'm hoping to possibly recruit my mom to help trim my hair, but she has a track record of uneven pigtails and crooked bangs...

Saranne772
May 30th, 2008, 01:38 AM
I havnt had a trim since September- that was only to remove damaged hair that was driving me INSANE. I do S&D and my thickness is quite even. I do grow at an angle- right side fastest but that may be due to a wonky trim.