PDA

View Full Version : Are these real braids what do you think?

bunzfan
November 3rd, 2010, 09:33 AM
While doing some searching i came across this website with very very thick braids. Some you can tell are real but some just look to fake what do you think??

http://flickriver.com/photos/11981955@N07/tags/braid/

Do you think some of them are from photo shop?

aenflex
November 3rd, 2010, 09:35 AM
I'm no expert but they look real to me. Very pretty either way.

PurpleAshes
November 3rd, 2010, 09:36 AM
It's possibly real

princessp
November 3rd, 2010, 09:38 AM
Wow, they are awesome! A few do look suspect though, so I'm guessing some of them are real and some are not.

mellie
November 3rd, 2010, 09:38 AM
I think they look real. Very beautiful and crazy thick!

bunzfan
November 3rd, 2010, 09:54 AM
I agree they are all beautiful but i wasn't sure that they could be that thick right to the ends of the braid, so i thought some might not be real heads of hair.

Dolly
November 3rd, 2010, 10:12 AM
I think many of them are real. I have my grandmother's braid that she cut off in 1944.....it is just like that.....thick all the way to the end. And absolutely gorgeous! Too bad I didn't end up with the hair genes like she has. She is 92, and still has very thick hair, even though it has thinned a bit as she has aged.....she still has thicker hair than me!

keight425
November 3rd, 2010, 10:14 AM
They look real to me, similar to how my husbands hair looks when I braid it, its very thick.

Dreams_in_Pink
November 3rd, 2010, 10:19 AM
Ugh...if these are real then that means we're ALL bald!!!
:agape:

queenofhair
November 3rd, 2010, 10:28 AM
i think most of them are real. I have seen women with hair like this before. I think it's part of what motivates me to keep growing.

Sister13
November 3rd, 2010, 10:34 AM
These look lovely and real. I wonder if the thickness and shine are heredity and/or diet. Western hair looks... different.

Octave
November 3rd, 2010, 10:35 AM
I used to have as thick hair as some of those girls when I was younger. Was a PITA as it was sooo heavy.

mira-chan
November 3rd, 2010, 10:37 AM
They are real for the most part but I believe there was a thread on this a while ago that mentioned some creative photography using special lenses to give the thickness a bit of extra help. Also perspective on some of these is hiding some taper most likely.

RedStripe
November 3rd, 2010, 10:53 AM
Wow, they are awesome! A few do look suspect though, so I'm guessing some of them are real and some are not.

That's my take on it, as well.

eezepeeze
November 3rd, 2010, 11:16 AM
They are real for the most part but I believe there was a thread on this a while ago that mentioned some creative photography using special lenses to give the thickness a bit of extra help. Also perspective on some of these is hiding some taper most likely.

That's what I think, too. Plus, I think a lot of the braids are done fairly loosely for the photo op, not tightly for real life. that would make them seem thicker, too. ETA: My hair looks about that thick if I braid it loosely, but I can't do anything requiring much movement, or the braid starts to slip out. When I do it nice and tight, it looks a lot thinner.

Angeletti
November 3rd, 2010, 11:21 AM
I think most of them appear to be real. Some of the pictures would be a little too thick for my personal preference but their hair is still very pretty.

little_cherry
November 3rd, 2010, 11:27 AM
WOW! So thick! They gave me a headache just looking at them! So very pretty, though! :)

edit. That 4 stranded dutch braid is definitely not 4 strands..it's a 5 or 6 strand.

Nastasia
November 3rd, 2010, 11:30 AM
I think they're real. I've seen hair that thick in real life. Some of them do have some forced perspective to make the braids look bigger or longer, it's true.

Igor
November 3rd, 2010, 11:50 AM

Yea, I agree. They are mostly very loosely braided, which adds more bulk than tightly braided. If you braid loosely, you can better flatten the braid too and make it appear huge on camera
Also, look closely at the set-up and perspective of the pictures. Bringing the braid closer to the camera makes it look bigger than if it was hanging naturally down

Vermelha
November 3rd, 2010, 11:50 AM
LOL at "Are these real braids..."

This is real. A lot of women in India have long, thick, shiny hair like this, at least a lot that I've met. My roommate was of Asian descent and she, too, had a thick head of hair like this.

Visit IndusLadies.com, a women's forum that has lots of great tips about growing long hair, and other great beauty tips too.

Gypsygirl
November 3rd, 2010, 11:53 AM
They are real. Women from India and Asia often have the most amazing braids, and most of these heads look Asian to me.

enfys
November 3rd, 2010, 11:56 AM
I remember this from before. I agree that it looks like real hair creatively shot. Which there's nothing wrong with; this is far more real than the hair we see in magazines I'm sure. I just don't want people to feel inadequate for their own thickness or shine.

Some of the captions are a bit :shudder: though. "Lucky hand".

I did laugh at "sexy French braid" making no comment that the wearer is taking a photo of a woman who has hair pooling on the floor!

Harriet
November 3rd, 2010, 11:58 AM
I think they look real. I've seen lots of ladies from the far east with beautiful hair like that. I think part of some cultures involves not cutting the hair at all.

bunzfan
November 3rd, 2010, 12:04 PM
Ok ok it seems i was wrong i had never seen hair so thick :laugh:

adiapalic
November 3rd, 2010, 12:13 PM
They look real to me. Just some perspective tricks and possible special lenses to give the illusion of it appearing larger in some. They're still thick though.

Madora
November 3rd, 2010, 12:15 PM
Thank you for all those spectacular braid photos! Some really incredible hair there!

The only one I suspect might be "doctored" was the one of the indian woman with the braid wrapped around her hand. It seemed a little over the top..too exaggerated, to be natural. On the other hand, it might have been the way it was photographed. The angle of the photo seemed a bit peculiar.

I adored the fabulous silver haired lady with the fantastic mane! Pure inspiration!!

Angelica
November 3rd, 2010, 12:40 PM
Yes I believe the hair is real and it's hereditary. What I would give to have a head of hair like that! I have seen one girl with hair that thick so long ago now in a card shop. She had a real Rapunzel braid, so thick and it maintained its thickness all the way down and was in superb condition. I have never seen such fantastic hair again so close up.

My braid in comparison would look pretty pathetic, especially the fishtail one.

Fabulous. I hope these ladies keep their hair long. Their crowning glories!

Anywhere
November 3rd, 2010, 12:50 PM
:thud: I wish my hair was that thick.

Night_Kitten
November 3rd, 2010, 01:03 PM
I want hair that thick too!!! And almost zerow taper also! Those braids are absolutely amazing :crush:

Niwa
November 3rd, 2010, 01:15 PM
They look perfectly real to me. There is no reason why healthy hair has to taper. An ex-boyfriend of mine had hip length (he was 6'1), almost bone straight hair that he mostly wore in a braid. The braid was thick all the way down, with virtually no taper.

My own hair had no taper until I started using a curling iron and chemicals on it. My braids were thick from root to tip, and I never knew that was unusual until I damaged my hair and saw for the first time how it tapered due to the damage. I expect it to return to its untapered state when I grow out the damage.

Vermelha
November 3rd, 2010, 01:16 PM
These braids are amazing, but I like my hair the way it is :) I only wish for more of what I'm already blessed with :)

Dreamkitty
November 3rd, 2010, 01:28 PM
They look very real to me and like others have said some of the braids are closeup shots and quite loose, so appear bigger then what they really are.

I had very thick hair when I was a child and my braid would look quite similar to that. Wish I could back to my old hair, I remember when I was a kid, I didn't like having thick hair, I always wanted to have thinner braids but now Im so different, I just appreciate the hair I have got and now wish I could travel back in time, grow my hair and take more care of it.

My aunties all had beautiful, long, thick & shiny hair when they were young too.

But anyway, all of the ladies on those photos have a beautiful hair of head.:)

~bear
November 3rd, 2010, 01:39 PM
I think they are all real. I didn't see any that looked like creative lenses were used. Point and shoots will often change the perspective due to the sensor on the camera making it look a bit more flat but none stood out as outwardly doctored to me.

May
November 3rd, 2010, 01:49 PM
I think they're real...but who knows. :o

BrightEyes7
November 3rd, 2010, 02:06 PM
Some of the captions are a bit shudder: though. "Lucky hand".
"sexy French braid"

That is what I thought too... And all the pictures are just long hair.... hmmm....

But for the most part I think the hair looks real. Except for the one like 4 down, the girl with the black pin stripped shirt. That one looks photo-shopped.

But I agree with the fact they all look to be braided loosely or held up to the camera to appear thicker. But they do have THICK hair to begin with!!

Dragon
November 3rd, 2010, 02:13 PM
They look amazing.

Calaelen
November 3rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Speaking as a hairstylist, I can tell you that asian hair is insanely thick. Most of these ladies are asian. Honestly, take a thick head of hair, and double, or triple the thickness. Also, blondes have more hairs on their head than other colours of hair usually. These blondes are real.

I scrolled almost to the end, and didn't spot one fake, though the Valentine one almost made me suspect a fake...many of these braids are also done very loose on already thick hair lending the unbelievable look to them.

Great post, I loved looking at all those, and I know a couple of them are ladies from the longhairloom, and possibly on here as well.

jel
November 3rd, 2010, 02:44 PM
Perspective and loose braids, yes. But also some really thick hair!

I recently met an Indian co-worker from a different location, and her BSL-length braid was super thick. However, although at first it appeared to be twice as thick as mine, I realised that it wasn't that big after all; she is much shorter and narrower of back than I am, so her braid appeared extremely thick relative to her size. Mine was still not as thick, even in absolute terms, but it was longer! :D

Roseate
November 3rd, 2010, 03:35 PM
They look real to me. My braid is pretty big; in my siggy it was braided damp. If I braid it loosely and dry, it definitely gets up there in size. And I'm certainly not the thickest head of hair on LHC!

I actually envy thinner braids; I like the way they are more soft and flexible, and drape over the wearer's body in a graceful way. My thick braid just thumps on my back like a club, and is still too short to be bunned nicely.

UltraBella
November 3rd, 2010, 03:58 PM
They all look real to me. My hair is super thick and a braid on me is very fat and heavy. I have layers though so I do have taper towards the end.

kwaniesiam
November 3rd, 2010, 04:06 PM
Of course the braids are real. Whether or not the hair in all of them is or not is the question. I think most are all natural, some might have some synthetic hair braided in though. Gorgeous hair in those photos.

nemileo
November 3rd, 2010, 04:21 PM
I think they are real. I have seen some indian women with long, full hair like that. With heavy coconut oiling, seldom washing and brushing, and wearing your hair carefully braided I guess there will be minimal damage. And then you could get a braid like that I guess?

pepperminttea
November 3rd, 2010, 06:09 PM
Some of the captions are a bit :shudder: though. "Lucky hand".

This. Gorgeous braids, and I'd bet the majority are real, but the purpose of the photos seems a bit suspect... not to mention creepy. (And not in the good 'vaguely creepy' LHC-way, either. :p )

Alexannee10
November 3rd, 2010, 06:18 PM
I think they're real. Most of the picture is indian woman, and God knows indians have thick hair ♥ Or maybe for some of them the braids are just loose, so they look thicker ?

Raekwon
November 3rd, 2010, 09:55 PM
These pictures just made me feel like I got pushed to make sure my hair gets longer than all of their's...

evampr18
November 3rd, 2010, 11:12 PM
I am green. With envy.

tiny_teesha
November 4th, 2010, 01:48 AM
They're all real, and i spotted a LHC member there too. I think think the poster took the photos without permission. (or maybe has i dunno)
It's just shifty camera angles!

daaisychains
November 4th, 2010, 03:12 AM
Real.
If this isn't motivation to look after your hair i don't know what is.
Thank you so much for posting this :p

bunzfan
November 4th, 2010, 03:48 AM
They look real to me. My braid is pretty big; in my siggy it was braided damp. If I braid it loosely and dry, it definitely gets up there in size. And I'm certainly not the thickest head of hair on LHC!

I actually envy thinner braids; I like the way they are more soft and flexible, and drape over the wearer's body in a graceful way. My thick braid just thumps on my back like a club, and is still too short to be bunned nicely.

You many envy others thinner hair but every time i see your braid i wish mine was like that:) mine isn't exactly thin either i just added a picture to my album of my braid.

ullalein
November 4th, 2010, 01:08 PM
After trying to cut the massive amount of hair on my thai friends head, I do believe all of them are real!

CaityBear
November 4th, 2010, 01:16 PM
Sadly, I have to say I think most of them are real...which makes me so depressed... My braid is like only a fraction of those! :'(

Browniegirl
December 25th, 2010, 09:29 PM
Yep, They are real...My braid is that thick-but ,like others here have already said, it does not drape gracefully.My braid could knock someone out it I whacked them with it,haha!
:thud:

mowo
December 25th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Sadly, I have to say I think most of them are real...which makes me so depressed... My braid is like only a fraction of those! :'(
I know exactly what you mean. I wish that my braid was at least half of their :rolleyes:

But anyway.... they are real and really beautiful :)

longlockenvy
December 25th, 2010, 11:50 PM
I know a few people that have thick enough hair to have braids like this. I believe them to be real.

Athena's Owl
December 25th, 2010, 11:59 PM
Looks like real hair to me. Most of the women pictured look like they have cared for long hair in very gentle ways, and the women from south asia I see here in town routinely have single braids as thick.

christine1989
December 26th, 2010, 12:10 AM
I think the thickness looks real but the color and shine of some of the braids looks a bit manipulated in some of the pictures. Regardless, those braids are perfect! :)

Arctic_Mama
December 26th, 2010, 01:37 AM
I believe they're real! Sme of the angles are funky and the lenses tend to produce a bending affectm making the middle of the frame look abnormally close (and thus, large), but in general they are beautiful, thick, natural hair from all I can tell.

Timkerbelle
December 26th, 2010, 05:48 AM
I think they look real. Super thick hair! Slightly depressing when their half up braids are 10x thicker than my whole head of hair lol

Igor
December 26th, 2010, 06:02 AM
What I really think is that threads on creepy collections of hair like this should be banned from LHC and instantly locked. They are created by fe.ti.sh.is.ts, for fe.ti.sh.is.ts and always contain pictures that are used without the original owners consent. It is not something LHC wants to be connected to in any way