PDA

View Full Version : Hair style and face shape?

Dreamkitty
November 3rd, 2010, 05:52 AM
Ive read hair style/length depends on your faceshape.

Is this true?

Night_Kitten
November 3rd, 2010, 06:54 AM
I've read plenty of such claims, and often one "expert" contradicted the other...
In shorter styles, there probably are some guidelines (such as a long bob elongates a long face even more, or a short cheek-length cut makes a round face look even rounder...), but once longer than sholder length I don't think there's a difference, it's more down to personal taste and what one wants/likes...

Vermelha
November 3rd, 2010, 07:47 AM
I was reading that standard hair style/length can be measured by the natural curves of the body. I prefer this method over face shapes.

http://www.ida.net/users/northstr/hairlength.html

But I agree, it's about personal taste. It's really hard to say whether a hair cut can make a person look better. Some hair cuts are just too hard to maintain. I'd just buy a wig if I wanted a different look, lol...Can't imagine cutting my hair to look "better."

Babyfine
November 3rd, 2010, 10:05 AM
I was reading that standard hair style/length can be measured by the natural curves of the body. I prefer this method over face shapes.

http://www.ida.net/users/northstr/hairlength.html

But I agree, it's about personal taste. It's really hard to say whether a hair cut can make a person look better. Some hair cuts are just too hard to maintain. I'd just buy a wig if I wanted a different look, lol...Can't imagine cutting my hair to look "better."

I'd love to be able to get to a GM salon and see their consulation as to what length my hair should be. Sadly, there isn't one within several hundred miles of where I live.

surfguy87
November 3rd, 2010, 10:37 AM
I asked a head stylist if long hair suited my skinny skinny face/body etc. He replied "....well you got the style, so sure!"...I HATED that answer! If I took away my coat, skinny chinos and shirt what would he say!?!

It proves hair is subjective, different tastes for different people.

Look in the mirror, if you smile inside then that's the style for you. It's more about personality than face shape.

Dragon
November 4th, 2010, 01:02 AM
I've herd this to. I have never seen any one with long hair that don't suit them. I think it suits every one. But I have notice that not every one looks good with short hair.

baaaad_kitty
November 4th, 2010, 12:16 PM
I think face shape does hold a factor. For instance, my face is round. I can cut my hair to my chin and it will look okay, but longer hair that is layered will suit me better

ullalein
November 4th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Neh, I have a square jaw, and am not supposed to look good with a very short fringe, however, I look marvelous!!

misstwist
November 4th, 2010, 01:04 PM
How we keep our hair, the makeup we wear and the clothes we choose do all alter our appearance.

It's about highlighting and diminishing the features and shapes we are comfortable and less comfortable about.

Some personal examples.

I have a very round face. Wearing a style that puts some height above my face and balances the shape in a way I find pleasing.

Wearing eyeliner and mascara makes my eyes look more open and less hooded. It also makes my face shape look more oval than round.

Wearing clothes that are fitted rather than loose and wearing a good bra that raises my bust and makes it very prominent in front of me make me appear more slender because of the contrast between hips, waist and bust.

Wider rather than straight hems on trousers balance my hips and make my legs appear more slender. All that emphasizes my hourglass shape that is currently out of fashion but that I find pleasing. I can also de-emphasize that hourglass shape with the clothing I wear.

So, yes, hair length and style "depend" on your face shape. If you have a high forehead that you love you can wear your hair in a way that calls more attention to it. If you don't like that high forehead you can make it less prominent with your hairstyle.

We are each entirely capable of deciding for ourselves which of our features we want to put forward or hide. Those kinds of guidelines will help you achieve the look you are after, but they should not be taken as laws of appearance you must obey.

Unless you want them to. :D