PDA

View Full Version : Differences in proteins?

Carriegirl
November 2nd, 2010, 08:08 PM
I was wondering if different proteins in hair products can affect hair differently. I most specifically wondering about wheat protein vs. soy protein.

I have most recently been using Nature's Gate Chamomile Replenishing conditioner and love it! It has hydrolyzed wheat protein and it is listed pretty high up in the ingredient list, i think it is 7th. When I ran out of it I started using or Nature's Gate Henna Shine Enhancing conditioner, which has hydrolyzed soy protein and it is way down near the bottom of the ingredient list, and my hair hasn't felt as nice. I also used Nature's Gate Awapuhi Volumizing conditioner, which doesn't have protein, and my hair didn't feel good. So i am assuming that my hair likes protein and the more the better? But what about the wheat vs. soy protein? Could my hair have a preference for wheat rather than soy? Does it make a difference?

I want to get some feedback on this before i start looking for another cause of my hair not feeling so well these last two weeks. It could just be time to change my hair routine because it has gotten cold here.

Arrrgg!!! I feel like there are so many variables to figuring out good hair care sometimes!

mira-chan
November 2nd, 2010, 08:47 PM
So i am assuming that my hair likes protein and the more the better?
Seems so, but it could also be some other ingredient causing this.

But what about the wheat vs. soy protein?
They are different proteins that have different structure so there could be difference in effect.

Could my hair have a preference for wheat rather than soy?
Considering there is a concentration difference, that can't be determined. The only way to check is to get a similar conditioner with an equal amount of wheat or soy protein.

Does it make a difference?

This is a "Your mileage may vary" thing. Just like people can respond to proteins differently in regards to allergies, hair can react differently.

Your hair might just like protein and lots of it, or it might be more of a connoisseur. :)

TessieAnn
November 2nd, 2010, 08:59 PM
If by chance you or anyone who spends close time with you is celiac or gluten-sensitive, stay away from wheat protein. You can "gluten" others by using products with wheat in them--potentially can make them have a bad reaction.

If this isn't an issue then have at it!

It's something that I've become aware of after my son was diagnosed with celiac disease. Some people have gone gluten-free in their own diets but have continued to get sick until they realized that a loved one was using lotion or other products with wheat protein.

Just a caution.