PDA

View Full Version : Because I love coffee, I have to ask...

Vermelha
November 2nd, 2010, 05:57 PM
Does drinking coffee affect hair growth?

I know excessive caffeine can cause issues, but I'm wondering if any of you who drink, say, a reasonable amount of coffee a day (let's just say, about 2 cups of coffee...much more for us coffee-nuts :D), have had a stall or increase in your hair growth?

I would think a normal amount of coffee would positively affect hair growth, since a normal dose of caffeine helps speed up bloodflow.

Your thoughts?

Nae
November 2nd, 2010, 06:04 PM
I don't know but I can't be a functioning human without my cuppa joe in the morning. So here's to hoping!!!:toast: Oh wait maybe I should be using this one......:coffee:

Elenna
November 2nd, 2010, 06:05 PM
I <3 coffee too, but never saw a bit of difference in hair growth. Now vitamins, diatomaceous earth, silica or horsetail herb seem to make a difference, etc. Also eating very healthy has an impact on hair growth.

kschr2004
November 2nd, 2010, 06:05 PM
I drink at least 2 ten ounce cups a day, and sometimes even more than that. I haven't really noticed any increase or decrease in growth from it.

freckles
November 2nd, 2010, 06:09 PM
I have nothing to compare to since my pre-coffee life was also my pre-caring-about-hair life, but I get a halfish inch of hair growth a month which is about average, so my growth seems okay :)

ETA: I drink somewhere between 2 and 4 mugs of coffee a day, love my coffee.

Vermelha
November 2nd, 2010, 06:14 PM
I know...I do agree, my pre-coffee drinking life was also when I gave the least care to my hair, so it's hard to tell whether coffee has improved it or not...

I do add coffee to my henna. I hear coffee when applied to the scalp as a treatment, can help.

Igor
November 2nd, 2010, 06:27 PM
Its one of those things that gets discussed back and forth a lot. Seems some studies shows it slows growth and some studies shows it speed growth up :shrug:

Here is another thread on it: Drinking caffeine makes hair grow slower? What? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53563&highlight=coffee)

Vermelha
November 2nd, 2010, 06:39 PM
Its one of those things that gets discussed back and forth a lot. Seems some studies shows it slows growth and some studies shows it speed growth up :shrug:

Here is another thread on it: Drinking caffeine makes hair grow slower? What? (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53563&highlight=coffee)

Thanks for that!

narydaco
November 2nd, 2010, 07:14 PM
Oh please tell me the answer is no! I really want to grow my hair long but I really can't live without my coffee (and nobody else can live with me either, I might add)!

jenwexler
November 2nd, 2010, 07:24 PM
I used to work in a coffee shop. My boss has beautiful long black hair [he is a man]. He drinks coffee daily so I don't know if it really does interfere. I think chai tea has less caffeine in it compared to coffee so I've been drinking chai lately to satisfy my cravings.

DreadfulWoman
November 2nd, 2010, 07:30 PM
Oh wow, I'm so relieved! I had been avoiding looking into the caffeine thing because I drink such hideous amounts of coffee. I know that it does interfere with iron absorption though (as well as some other vitamins, I am guessing) so that would be something to watch for.

jenwexler
November 2nd, 2010, 07:36 PM
So yea go for Chai tea.Chai tea has about 47 mg of caffeine but coffee has 108. With chai, you can still have that slight jolt to stay awake, and it can be prepared kind of like coffee. You can add sugar and milk, it's spiced already. It can be an acquired taste depending on the chai. I am sure you can also find decaf chai. Chai lattes are AMAZING. And it also tastes good chilled. It isn't exactly coffee, but it's not like normal tea. It's been my coffee replacement when I need caffeine but i don't want quite as much as coffee.

princessp
November 2nd, 2010, 07:36 PM
I drink an obscene amount of caffeine (in all forms) and my hair grows about an inch a month. So I don't think it does anything to hinder growth in my case.

GrowingGlory
November 2nd, 2010, 07:41 PM
My hair grew about a half inch a month when I drank coffee. I usually drink white tea or herbal tea now and it grows about an inch per month. Coincidence?

Igor
November 2nd, 2010, 07:44 PM
Caffeine confuses me in connection with any beauty product! When it’s used in skin creams I have seen it being claimed to
“Constrict blood vessels and lessen redness” (In a cream)
But also
“Stimulate blood flow and accelerate fat tissue break down” (In an anti cellulite cream)
Now seriously, how can it do both?

christine1989
November 2nd, 2010, 08:01 PM
I drink quite a bit of coffee (afterall, I live in the birthplace of Starbucks ;)) And I get an above average amount of growth per month. I don't know if the coffee helps it but it sure dosen't hinder it.

Vermelha
November 2nd, 2010, 08:41 PM
Hmm...loving the feedback! I'm glad because I DO drink quite a bit of coffee and I'm proud to admit that. That's probably why my brows and leg hair practically regenerate in like a few days. Grr... I'll track my growth and see what rate it grows.

mellie89
November 2nd, 2010, 09:50 PM
I drink a lot of coffee and grow a bit faster than average, about 2/3 of an inch per month.

I can barely remember my pre-coffee days, but I don't think my hair grew any faster. I remember growing from chin to BSL took 3 years from 8th grade to 11th with one or two trims in between. I think it would take about that long now, too.

DragonLady
November 3rd, 2010, 03:30 AM
I drink an average of three pots of coffee every single day, and have for over 30 years. I've never experienced anything -nothing- in the way of ill effects that have been attributed to coffee.

My hair grows at a normal rate, I'm strong and healthy, my blood pressure is always fine and I feel great.

Drink up.

mrs_coffee
November 3rd, 2010, 06:20 AM
Wow Dragon Lady that is a lot! It makes me feel better though that you've not had any ill effects. I haven't either. I drink, on average, a pot of coffee a day. I love the stuff (obviously). My blood pressure actually runs low, believe it or not.

CherrySilver
November 3rd, 2010, 07:06 AM
Let me preface this by saying that I love my morninng cup of coffee just as much as anyone else -- in particular applications and small amounts, it can be helpful.

Drinking excessive amounts of coffee is *definitely* not good for your system, ask any doctor or cancer survivor. Coffee is extremely acidic and raises the ph of your body, creating an environment friendly to cancer growth. It is taxes your adrenal system, dehydrates your body (leading to dry skin), raises your blood pressure, etc. I don't know a single person who looks better for their excessive caffein intake.

If you're going to drink it, like anything else, do so in moderation. Better yet, get into the habit of drinking green/herbal tea instead. It has plenty of antioxidants and is better for your health overall.

Vermelha
November 3rd, 2010, 07:21 AM
Let me preface this by saying that I love my morninng cup of coffee just as much as anyone else -- in particular applications and small amounts, it can be helpful.

Drinking excessive amounts of coffee is *definitely* not good for your system, ask any doctor or cancer survivor. Coffee is extremely acidic and lowers the ph of your body, creating an environment friendly to cancer growth. It is taxes your adrenal system, dehydrates your body (leading to dry skin), raises your blood pressure, etc. I don't know a single person who looks better for their excessive caffein intake.

If you're going to drink it, like anything else, do so in moderation. Better yet, get into the habit of drinking green/herbal tea instead. It has plenty of antioxidants and is better for you overall.

Well, I figured that too much of anything will be harmful to anyone. I mean, downing an entire pot on a daily basis isn't good, obviously. I was alluding to a normal intake of coffee ;)

Vermelha
November 3rd, 2010, 07:28 AM
Wow Dragon Lady that is a lot! It makes me feel better though that you've not had any ill effects. I haven't either. I drink, on average, a pot of coffee a day. I love the stuff (obviously). My blood pressure actually runs low, believe it or not.

You know, that's interesting, because my blood pressure stays rather low also after drinking coffee. My asthma has been under control for over 11 years after my doctor suggested drinking it.

I also keep a better body weight when drinking coffee than when I don't. It gives me pre-workout energy and I perform better when lifting weights.

I think there are benefits to coffee. Like, the most ageless people drink it. My mother has not a single wrinkle at 51 and she's never put her coffee mug down. My grandmother also drinks coffee and her memory is very clear. She's also very able bodied and still tends to her garden and cleans house and dances and she's in her late 70s.

We're not saying anyone is hooked up to caffeine IVs or anything, but I think drinking coffee on a daily basis isn't going to lead to anything terribly bad. Not like alcohol, narcotics and eating excess fat and sugar.

aenflex
November 3rd, 2010, 08:31 AM
I think if anything caffiene would be good for growth stimulation? I thought it was used for as a growth aid....

princessp
November 3rd, 2010, 09:20 AM

Drinking excessive amounts of coffee is *definitely* not good for your system, ask any doctor or cancer survivor. Coffee is extremely acidic and raises the ph of your body, creating an environment friendly to cancer growth. It is taxes your adrenal system, dehydrates your body (leading to dry skin), raises your blood pressure, etc. I don't know a single person who looks better for their excessive caffein intake.

If you're going to drink it, like anything else, do so in moderation. Better yet, get into the habit of drinking green/herbal tea instead. It has plenty of antioxidants and is better for your health overall.

Well I guess it is better than the alternative -vodka :D Just kidding there. I've read that organic coffee is better regarding the cancer connection. What are your thoughts on that? Also I'm curious do you know if black tea has the same ill properties?

Igor
November 3rd, 2010, 11:12 AM
I think if anything caffiene would be good for growth stimulation? I thought it was used for as a growth aid....

Yea, I posted that I thought so too.

Coffee/caffeine seems to be one of those pin-pong balls in health. First I thought it was bad for you and that the caffeine constricted blood vessels and slowed growth. Then someone on old LHC pointed to a study that disproved that. Then I read other studies and came to the conclusion that applying caffeine to your skin is a stimulant for growth and repair but drinking it will constrict the blood vessels. Now, a few months ago I read in an e-paper that people who drinks coffee lives longer and healthier.

So, F it! I like my coffee and I’m going to drink it :lol:

CherrySilver
November 3rd, 2010, 11:25 AM
Well I guess it is better than the alternative -vodka :D Just kidding there. I've read that organic coffee is better regarding the cancer connection. What are your thoughts on that? Also I'm curious do you know if black tea has the same ill properties?

Without a doubt, organic coffee would be better because of the pesticide connection. However, coffee, organic or not, is acidic in nature and not good for your system. Black tea, although it has caffeine, does not cause an acidic condition, unless of course you put milk and sugar in it.

I'm not going to try to split hairs and argue with people about the ills of drinking too much coffee. They'll always believe whatever they want to believe anyway even with evidence to the contrary. I enjoy it myself but keep it down to a cup or two in the morning. The rest of the time I drink green or herbal tea and love it.

As far as hair growth and caffeine consumption goes, I think it'd work better topically as it stimulates blood flow. Drinking massive quantities would be counterproductive.

Isabel
November 3rd, 2010, 12:07 PM
As somebody pointed out, coffee can interfere with iron absorption. I recall reading that it's mostly an issue if you have coffee right after food or with food. It should be safer to hold separate coffee breaks an hour or more after having a meal to make sure that the coffee doesn't interfere.

LouLaLa
November 3rd, 2010, 12:21 PM
I was a coffee feind and quit last month. I was getting crippling headaches so coffee had to go.

I think its about the same growth this month, but ill be interested to see if it changes in the coming months as my body reaps the benefits. Im also a non smoker and dont drink alcohol so that may be contributory too. Ill keep you posted!

I average about 1inch a month atm- I doubt it will increase as thats already alot. Im a quick grower and my mum is a quick grower too- hers even quicker. Ive gone SL to BSL plus, since May.

tinti
November 3rd, 2010, 12:36 PM
If Mocca Latte affects my hair growth positively I'd be happy :) I don't like any other coffes. But green tea ... it reduces weight so why not affect growth too.

Coffeebug
November 3rd, 2010, 01:14 PM
I drink plenty of coffee and I drink it strong. Mine got to calf length and I only cut it cos I couldn't deal with all that hair!

spidermom
November 3rd, 2010, 01:15 PM
I have 1-2 cups of strong coffee every morning, and my hair grows a teeny bit faster than normal.

Unofficial_Rose
November 3rd, 2010, 02:54 PM
Mmm, coffee! :coffee: :D Cannot do without my morning coffee or I start jonesing. Hair or no hair!

Green tea, on the other hand...I don't care how good it is for me, I simply cannot drink the stuff. To me it smells like henna. Much as I love henna I don't want to drink the bloody stuff. Green tea ice-cream is OK, though. ;)

Vermelha
November 3rd, 2010, 02:59 PM

Mmm, coffee! :coffee: :D Cannot do without my morning coffee or I start jonesing. Hair or no hair!

Green tea, on the other hand...I don't care how good it is for me, I simply cannot drink the stuff. To me it smells like henna. Much as I love henna I don't want to drink the bloody stuff. Green tea ice-cream is OK, though. ;)

I agree. I can't drink green tea...I tried the authentic stuff (not the stuff you see in American grocery stores). It's just not good to me...:( I just use green tea in my tea rinses and as a facial astringent.

So, coffee it is. I'm about to pour some more now.