PDA

View Full Version : Cut damage OR keep length? (pics)

evampr18
November 2nd, 2010, 12:55 PM
[quosiorpew'ap'ote][/quote]q U O T E

mellie89
November 2nd, 2010, 12:59 PM
Any chance you could microtrim? If you take a tiny bit off the ends once every month or two, you will still gain a lot of length while slowly getting rid of the damage.

It looks like you might have white dots on some of your ends as well. If you do, I would S&D those hairs, just to be safe. When I had those, my hair broke off like crazy.

I understand the dilemma you're facing. I basically maintained at APL for a year while trimming away damage. It was a good choice for me, but if I could have gotten away with microtrimming, I think I would have done that instead.

evampr18
November 2nd, 2010, 01:03 PM
I tried S&D and my ends got worse :/ I am thinking of going to the salon...what do you think mellie89?

Madora
November 2nd, 2010, 01:07 PM
Trim off about 3 inches. Now that might be heresy to you, but I think your hair will benefit. If you don't want to trim that much, then at least trim one inch.

lapushka
November 2nd, 2010, 01:09 PM
Maybe cut back to just above the bra strap? That will also even out your ends, if they're bothering you that much.

hairobsessed1
November 2nd, 2010, 01:10 PM
I think you should trim- hair always looks much nicer when the ends are on top form

evampr18
November 2nd, 2010, 01:13 PM
Does everyone think I should do a blunt hemline cut? Or keep my V?

Angelica
November 2nd, 2010, 01:13 PM
You know when your hair is just hanging down your back you can't notice the damage. When it is held up to the light
things look worse.

I did begin to do S & D, but nothing I did seemed to work and I definitely wasn't going to cut all the length off to get rid of it.

I just trim a bit off when I think the ends are very ragged and tangly.

I wear my hair up all the time and I don't notice the ends unless I have recently washed it and it is down and any light makes things look worse.

I'd say to do whatever you are comfortable with but I will say that personally I don't think your hair looks bad at all:)

Dyefree
November 2nd, 2010, 01:14 PM
I love length and so i feel your reluctance to cut, perhaps maybe an inch and a half?

xoxophelia
November 2nd, 2010, 01:16 PM
Are you growing out layers as well? I think if you want to improve your hemline then cut to the top of your bra strap.. if you want a blunt one though you might have to go up to APL.

PLENTY of people don't have blunt hemlines though and will put up with a less than perfect one while growing out. I think I would personally go back to the short end of BSL and then do periodic trims (every 3-4 months) on my way to waist and then maintain there. But that is just what I would do.

evampr18
November 2nd, 2010, 01:18 PM
Yeah it looks alright from afar, but then when i grab my ends and look at them I can feel and see the damage from old dye. I think I will cut a inch and be very adamant to the stylist of not cutting any more.

Thanks everyone :")

Vermelha
November 2nd, 2010, 01:23 PM
IDK...I REALLY like your length and your V. I have this same V, but I had been trying to trim away at it for a while. I think maybe an inch would help out, but your hair, in a way, reminds me of one of my favorite Final Fantasy characters (sorry, I just had to).

Maybe a microtrim?

evampr18
November 2nd, 2010, 01:27 PM
Xoxophelia- I love layers, I'm trying to grow them out, but not to become blunt. :)

Vermelha- Is your name Vermelha as in the color? :) And I don't mind looking like a Final Fantasy character. That's awesome!

BrightEyes7
November 2nd, 2010, 01:31 PM
Yeah it looks alright from afar, but then when i grab my ends and look at them I can feel and see the damage from old dye. I think I will cut a inch and be very adamant to the stylist of not cutting any more.

Thanks everyone :")

I think this sounds like a good idea. Sometimes you think you may need to trim more than you actually do. My ends were getting pretty rough and I was sure I'd have to cut off 3 inches. I trimmed an inch off and it made a world of difference. As far a the V hemline goes... your preference! I like a straight or slight U but if you like the V then stick with it!

Jessica Trapp
November 2nd, 2010, 01:42 PM
Maybe micro-trim and S&D until you decide. I'm kinda in the same boat right now. Need to trim but don't want to loose length. :shrug:

surfguy87
November 2nd, 2010, 01:51 PM
Your hair is beautiful. Looks fluid, soft and natural. The V hem is perfect.

Vermelha
November 2nd, 2010, 01:53 PM
Xoxophelia- I love layers, I'm trying to grow them out, but not to become blunt. :)

Vermelha- Is your name Vermelha as in the color? :) And I don't mind looking like a Final Fantasy character. That's awesome!

Yes, as in the color. But of course it's not my real name, just that I like the color red. ^_^ And yes, I really do like your hair. I have nothing against blunt ends--I think they are pretty, they just don't look natural to me. Maybe my mind will change as time goes...

akuamoonmaui
November 2nd, 2010, 02:05 PM
Maybe cut to just below your bra strap then do some micro trims? The V looks nice, and your ends don't look bad at all. Can you give them some extra TLC?

LouLaLa
November 2nd, 2010, 02:08 PM
I would trim it, maybe an inch. With splits you nee trims to stop it getting too damaged.

Its not nice sacrificing length, but I see it as loosing a battle to win the war, i.e. super long healthy hair.

Angeletti
November 2nd, 2010, 02:19 PM
I would say maybe do micro trims every couple months that way you won't loose all your length in one big trim but you will still be maintaining the ends. I was contemplating the exact same thing months ago because I have a v shape I would like to get rid of as well but now that I'm so close to goal I decided just to let mine grow to goal then worry about maintaining. You still have a bit to go until goal so it can't hurt to start micro trimming now but do what feels best to you.

greentealeaf
November 2nd, 2010, 02:22 PM
I think a little trim, about an inch, would be best. You won't sacrifice too much length and your hair will feel much better. I did small trims like that for a while when I was growing out my layers.

Prettyeyes23
November 2nd, 2010, 03:13 PM
I vote that a trim is needed. I'd probably start with about 4cm and see how that looks and feels.

JulietCapulet
November 2nd, 2010, 03:42 PM
Keep it! It doesn't look that damaged.

McFearless
November 2nd, 2010, 03:51 PM
I think you should cut off that piece hanging below your bra strap. Straight across too. Your hair will look thicker AND you will still be at BSL

McFearless
November 2nd, 2010, 04:11 PM
Your avatar is awesome btw. I did a similar look just this weekend :)

Kome
November 2nd, 2010, 04:26 PM
Meh... my ENTIRE head, expect for about 5 or 6 inches at the roots, is covered in splits ends from previous damage I did bleaching and dying my hair. There is no way I'm cutting my hair from below BSL to ear length just to fix that. It'll get cut off eventually and it's frustrating sometimes, but I'd rather not look ugly with short hair until then... because I do look MAD ugly with short hair. Haha.

I think your hair is really pretty with the different color on the ends and the point and shape it gives. If it's tangling... do a MICROTRIM and deep condition your hair. Or... wait a week or two and then decide how much to trim. Even half an inch would probably make you feel better if it's bothering you that much. :)

Chamomile betty
November 3rd, 2010, 06:48 PM
I suggest one half or one inch. That should take off some ends yet you will still have length.

princessp
November 3rd, 2010, 06:58 PM
I don't know, I'm not sure I would trim at all yet. I'd probably wait a bit and then do a trim later when it was longer. Or maybe an itsy bitsy trim. I swear my ends improved without any trimming at all just better care.

Isilme
November 3rd, 2010, 07:06 PM
I vote for trimming one or two inches. When you are at tailbone in a couple of years one inch here or there won't do a difference in length, but you will feel it. It's good to trim while your hair is shorter, it will make it more managable when longer.
Quality over quantity:)

Shellby
November 3rd, 2010, 07:10 PM
That picture of the ends could have been mine from today! I am in the same spot endswise. I am going crazy. I want to just hack them off. But I am not ready to sacrifice my length. I vote for micro trims and see how it goes. You can always cut it later. I don't think a few weeks or a month will cause more split ends since you are taking so much better care of it now. Hmmm I wonder if I will take that advice. Your hair is so pretty I honestly did not think the ends you had in the first pic were on the same head as the second picture.

just_ace
November 3rd, 2010, 08:37 PM
If it were me I would trim about an inch or so now, then in a few months an inch or so more and do it gradually until you are rid of the damage. Cutting too much off at once might cause you to freak out at losing too much length, at least I know I have in the past which is why I am now sticking to microtrims.

hippie girl
November 3rd, 2010, 10:05 PM
I actually like the shape and taper of your ends, and I would not cut just yet.
If you only cut an inch off the very bottom point, it may look odd w/ a stunted, straight section only there. I've done this and it never works. My most split hair is normally not that longest in the back but the shorter sections of the v on the sides so it really never helped. If you take an inch all the way round in a v shape, I think you may end up missing the length too much. I like the proportion of the V in relation to the length right now, and your ends still look good.

If it were me I would hold out and grow it a couple/few inches longer. If you grow it a bit more and then decide you really need to trim your ends, you can trim to the length/shape it is now and be able to maintain this particular/current length.

I say enjoy the length, hold out a little longer till a trim. I think your ends are totally fine, just be gentle combing. Keep it up if possible to protect the ends, and remember that tapered ends are easier to keep in updos than blunt cuts (usually). The taper could be your friend to help keep it up till it gets a bit longer if you do really want blunt ends.

That said, The overall ends/shape/taper looks pretty good to me! Keep it

Dreams_in_Pink
November 4th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Well, totally up to you. I prefer to keep them till i reach a remarkable length milestone (like waist) You can cut them or keep them, the damage doesn't look too obvious in the second pic.

evampr18
November 4th, 2010, 12:25 AM
[quosiorpew'ap'ote][/quote]q U O T E