PDA

View Full Version : Got a few questions

Sheylenna
November 2nd, 2010, 04:35 AM
So I'm new here and have been puttering around the site for the last week or so. And I've come up with several questions cements (and maybe a rant or 2 about people who don't understand, guess we all run in to those types though :D). I had long hair in High School then within a few years I cut it in half then in half again then in half again. Then grew it then cut it then permed it and colored it so I've done a lot in the last several years, mostly growing ^ . ^.

One day I was searching for info about people with really long hair, I have a pic of someone my Grandfather knew and her hair was past the floor, so I was looking for info on others with hair that long. Came across a post (possibly in the old forum). But that is when I realized I really could have people who understood my desire for long hair. My mom understands that I like long hair but she wonders why, my hair stylist of 12 years consistently asked me why I like it long (I've kept it longer then shoulder length, shorter then waist length, for the most part) and my Aunt recently got into an argument with myself my mom and my cousin (her son) about how frivolous a forum like this is, mind you everyone said that she was wrong, then again she has so little hair she needs a wig.

So here are my questions

1) I'm confused about the abbreviations that are used. I have found some info looking elsewhere. But I was hoping for some clarification.
Most of the hair length abbreviations I've found the definitions of but some I haven't. And I find as I'm writing this I can't remember any of them. ^ . ^ Could I get a list of the most common abbreviations used?

2) I'm reading all this about cones how they can be bad for some hair types and how they build up and stuff. So my questions is: I once asked my Stylist (while I was still going to him) what I should look for in a shampoo and conditioner and he said not to use shampoos and conditioners with glycerin in them, cause it, if I remember correctly, dulls the color, whether you color you hair or not. Anyone have any comments/suggestions on that?

Thanks.

Dragon
November 2nd, 2010, 04:42 AM
Hi, Welcome to LHC. Here is a list of the abbreviations.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=10

Sheylenna
November 2nd, 2010, 04:57 AM
You know I just realized that the reason I couldn't find a list on the forum was because I was spelling Abbreviations wrong in the searches I did. ^ . ^'

Dragon
November 2nd, 2010, 05:00 AM
Here is one about cones.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=185

About glycerin, I think it can cause build up after a while and I have never herd of it making your colour go dull but I'm not sure if it does.

rymorg2
November 2nd, 2010, 05:06 AM
I'm a stylist.

Glycerin absolutely fades out artificial color, especially reds. I've never heard of it dulling natural color, but there are a lot of things that do that, so it's theoretically possible that it does. HTH....

starlights
November 2nd, 2010, 11:28 AM
oh that list of abbreviations was very useful thanks

luxepiggy
November 2nd, 2010, 11:31 AM
My hair hates glycerin - it gets all tangly and sort of sticky feeling, and looks very dull instead of shiny. Everyone's hair is unique though - for example, I do use cones, and they work very well for me.