PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal (protein and curly hair)

Safira
November 2nd, 2010, 04:26 AM
Hello everyone :) I have curly hair, BSL and quite damaged. I use protein treatments almost everytime I wash my hair ( Mill Creek Keratin, Joico K-Pak, Mop Protein Treatment) and it seems that my hair loves it.

I tried to use moisturizing conditioners for a while with every washes but my hair turned to be awful. Like a jelly.

Last time I had protein overload was when I used protein treatments almost 2 years all the time, now I try to balance treatments with moisturizing conditioners.

Is anyone elses hair like this? How is this even possible?

rymorg2
November 2nd, 2010, 05:12 AM
I'm a stylist (and a wurly!)

It's very typical for curly hair to LOVE protein. Curly hair is usually on the finer side, and fine hair loses protein quicker than other types does. My hair eats it for breakfast. :D

Btw, you're absolutely doing correctly balancing out the protein with the moisture. Everyone's balance is different, but generally if you use as much protein as we do, you need the moisture too. Protein treatments actually force moisture out of the hair, which is why some people get the "crunchies" from it. That's why you want it after your protein instead of before. HTH!

Safira
November 2nd, 2010, 05:36 AM
Thank you Rymorg2 :) I´ve always wondered why my hair is different than others but your explanation makes sense. I have fine hair.
Nice to know that someone elses hair love protein :)

Ps your hair in your avatar is beautiful, they look so shiny. I wish my hair look like that some day.

rymorg2
November 2nd, 2010, 06:18 AM
Thank you Rymorg2 :) I´ve always wondered why my hair is different than others but your explanation makes sense. I have fine hair.
Nice to know that someone elses hair love protein :)

Ps your hair in your avatar is beautiful, they look so shiny. I wish my hair look like that some day.

You're quite welcome, and thank you! Those pics are actually from several years ago...I'm in the process of regrowing. But I'll get there again!