PDA

View Full Version : Blunt hair

surfguy87
November 2nd, 2010, 04:07 AM
Why do people feel blunt 'squared' hair looks good?

Am I the only one that think that thick blunt ends look ugly? Hair looks best when natural [agreed?], if a cut is made blatantly obvious then that makes the hair look very deliberate, and therefore takes away from its 'natural' essence.

Thin hair with sharp ends looks far more natural to me.

enfys
November 2nd, 2010, 04:11 AM
I don't want my hair to look natural. I want it to look supernatural, in a state that a bystander never thought possible without extensions. I want people to marvel at my barely-there braid taper. What is so great about natural things?

I'm keeping my ugly blunt ends.

Dragon
November 2nd, 2010, 04:12 AM
I like all different hemlines.

surfguy87
November 2nd, 2010, 04:16 AM
...what is so great about natural things?

The fact they're discrete, spontaneous, liberal and free from artificiality.

ericthegreat
November 2nd, 2010, 04:27 AM
To each their own.

I love to see hair that is well trimmed and well maintained. A nice, clean hemline with thick, healthy ends is the epitome of healthy beautiful hair in my opinion.

share801
November 2nd, 2010, 04:44 AM
I like all kinds of hemlines, but on me personally blunt lasts like 2.5 seconds so naturally its intriguing.

Dars
November 2nd, 2010, 04:59 AM
Welcome to LHC.

Everyone has different preferences when it comes to their hair. Blunt, U shaped, V shaped or fairytale ends; they are all unique in their own ways. :flower:

Lemur_Catta
November 2nd, 2010, 05:02 AM
To me, it depends on the length. I like BSL or waist length with a blunt cut, but for example knee length with a blunt cut...it doesn't look good to me. I think it has to do with the landmarks on the body...I mean, the point where the bra straps sit or the waist are rather "large" parts of the body, while from knees down the body narrows a lot, so I think a narrow hemline (like a deep V or U) looks better on longer lengths.

luxepiggy
November 2nd, 2010, 05:14 AM
I love my blunt ends (^(oo)^)v

It's like stilettos for hair! High heels aren't natural either, but they give my legs an extra woo! factor, as I like to call it, and I think a blunt hemline does the same thing for my hair.

Woo! hehe (^(oo)^)

Gypsygirl
November 2nd, 2010, 05:22 AM
Why not just appreciate the differences in us all? There's no such thing as "one size fits all" or "one kind of ends fits all" when it comes to hair... Something that looks great on and works for one person might not work at all for another. Blunt ends are not unnatural, by the way. My hair is very heavy and thick, and if I didn't get it layered, I would have more or less blunt ends. My ends just don't taper naturally.

FrannyG
November 2nd, 2010, 05:29 AM
Who are these "people" of whom you speak who only think blunt, squared hair looks good?

I see hemlines of every shape and style here at LHC. Some people have natural fairytale ends and some of us feel the need to trim. I don't think any of them are "ugly" as you so kindly put it. :shrug:

Carolyn
November 2nd, 2010, 05:46 AM
Who are these "people" of whom you speak who only think blunt, squared hair looks good?

I see hemlines of every shape and style here at LHC. Some people have natural fairytale ends and some of us feel the need to trim. I don't think any of them are "ugly" as you so kindly put it. :shrug:Seconding everything Franny said. I appreciate seeing all types of hair and hemlines. There is room for all. You can be drawn to one type more than another of course but there is no "one size fits all" when it comes to long hair. I love my hair with a nice thick, straight across hemline. No it doesn't grow that way naturally but so what? IMO "natural" is often not what it's cracked up to be.

Karala
November 2nd, 2010, 06:02 AM
Lol, if you love taper so much, you can have mine ^^

Dolly
November 2nd, 2010, 06:03 AM
To each his or her own! I have had all different hemlines.....I just happen to prefer a "u" shape....mine naturally grows into a very deep "v", so I trim it the way *I* like it best.....

Night_Kitten
November 2nd, 2010, 06:09 AM
I third FrannyG, I also don't think there is a certain "standart" hemline that must fit all and be liked by all. Every person has his/hers own preferences, tastes and oppinions...
For example, I think that my hair looks better with a blunt hemline as it somewhat conseals the taper, while someone else with the same taper might prefer fairytale ends... To each his/her own...

Sundial
November 2nd, 2010, 06:30 AM
I don't think there's anything wrong with having a blunt hemline

surfguy87
November 2nd, 2010, 06:50 AM
Thick chunky hair is too feminine on a GUY - hence my reference to the 'unnatural look'. Unless a woman has a completely straight natural hair I just think blunt hair at the hem looks a bit odd.

I guess I'm finding out more about my personal taste since I had my murder-chop.

Each to their own for sure.

ericthegreat
November 2nd, 2010, 07:09 AM
Well, I'm a guy and again I keep my ends thick and healthy, because in my opinion healthy hair is beautiful hair. I have to say I completely disagree with your perspective surfguy, because not only do I personally love my ends that way, I have received so many compliments from so many people on my hair because my ends are so healthy and thick.

UltraBella
November 2nd, 2010, 07:53 AM
I think calling a certain hair type or cut "ugly" is unkind considering you are on a hair forum and there will be many people with the type of hair you are referring to. Members here have treated you very kindly after your traumatic haircut and it seems a shame to not word YOUR particular hair preference more gently. It is, after all, only your opinion.
I personally, prefer short hair on men, but I am not going to start a thread asking why a guy would wear "ugly" long hair because I prefer it short. And just because I prefer short hair on men overall does not mean I do not appreciate it on some men, such as Ericthegreat. His hair is gorgeous.
Tolerance and appreciation for different hair types makes the LHC a great place.

Angeletti
November 2nd, 2010, 07:56 AM
I currently have fairytale ends or the natural look as you will, and it drives me nuts because it's too thin for my liking at the ends. People often mistake hemlines like that as damaged when mine really isn't, so that's one reason why I would prefer a more blunt hemline. All hemlines are great though, if the person is happy with it then that's all that matters.

luxepiggy
November 2nd, 2010, 07:58 AM
Well, I'm a guy and again I keep my ends thick and healthy, because in my opinion healthy hair is beautiful hair. I have to say I completely disagree with your perspective surfguy, because not only do I personally love my ends that way, I have received so many compliments from so many people on my hair because my ends are so healthy and thick.

:thumbsup:

Octave
November 2nd, 2010, 08:06 AM
Just as many others have mentioned, I believe it's very personal. I think that all the various ends out there looks beautiful, they all have something unique about them. Like my hair for example, my ends are blunt by nature due to them being so thick...so nothing unnatural about that or is it? :p

enfys
November 2nd, 2010, 08:18 AM
I think calling a certain hair type or cut "ugly" is unkind considering you are on a hair forum and there will be many people with the type of hair you are referring to. Members here have treated you very kindly after your traumatic haircut and it seems a shame to not word YOUR particular hair preference more gently. It is, after all, only your opinion.
I personally, prefer short hair on men, but I am not going to start a thread asking why a guy would wear "ugly" long hair because I prefer it short. And just because I prefer short hair on men overall does not mean I do not appreciate it on some men, such as Ericthegreat. His hair is gorgeous.
Tolerance and appreciation for different hair types makes the LHC a great place.

I agree with everything you said! :flower:

aenflex
November 2nd, 2010, 08:19 AM
I like blunt for myself, but other types look good too. The fairytale ends look really great on lots of people so maybe if my hair ever gets long enough I might try for those...

Madora
November 2nd, 2010, 08:27 AM
I prefer a blunt hemline because the hair falls in line evenly and is thick and healthy to the ends.

Natural hemlines are fine, as long as they are healthy and don't look scraggly. There's no point in having "hair down to there" if it looks poorly.

Sylvanas
November 2nd, 2010, 08:36 AM
Blunt is certainly not the most flattering look for everyone, but there's a big difference between generally hating a blunt hemline, and seeing that it might not be the best option for some of us. I have thick, wavy hair, and I can't pull off a blunt hemline till it reaches a certain length, or I'll end up with the dreaded triangle head. I've heard the same from lots of people I know, and people on this forum. Everyone should do as they wish with their own hair, but it is my personal opinion that people with thinner hair are more likely to pull off a blunt hemline at any length.

Unofficial_Rose
November 2nd, 2010, 08:39 AM
My hair's quite fine, and the ends are damaged. A blunt hemline makes it look thicker and healthier. (Not that my avatar shows it to its full "bluntness".)

pepperminttea
November 2nd, 2010, 08:48 AM
Whatever floats your boat. :shrug:

I like all hemlines (my own is reasonably blunt - easy for updos), but for me it's more about the condition of the hair than the hemline.

MsBubbles
November 2nd, 2010, 08:49 AM
Hair looks best when natural [agreed?], if a cut is made blatantly obvious then that makes the hair look very deliberate, and therefore takes away from its 'natural' essence.
Thin hair with sharp ends looks far more natural to me.

I must be misunderstanding the above. You seem to contradict yourself here (I haven't read the other replies yet). If you let 'thin' hair do its natural thing, it won't look 'sharp', but thin & wispy (which some people love, too). For my thin ends, at least, to look 'sharp', a blunt cut is most suited to that.

surfguy87
November 2nd, 2010, 08:50 AM
Angelleti, Madora and Sylvanas make good posts - Scraggly ends are never wanted, and thin hair is often percieved as being less 'healthy'.

I was simply interested to know more about people's experiences with blunt hair. I guess the term 'healthy hair' is vague enough for people to hold contrasting opinions.

I must be misunderstanding the above. You seem to contradict yourself here (I haven't read the other replies yet). If you let 'thin' hair do its natural thing, it won't look 'sharp', but thin & wispy (which some people love, too). For my thin ends, at least, to look 'sharp', a blunt cut is most suited to that.

Yes you misunderstood, but I'm sure this is because I wasn't so clear with what I was saying. Thin sharper hair gives more of a blended effect, and therefore appears more natural.

spidermom
November 2nd, 2010, 08:58 AM
I used to like squared-off, blunt ends the best. Now I like a U-shaped hem. Who knows what I'll like best tomorrow.

Anywhere
November 2nd, 2010, 09:01 AM
Yes you misunderstood, but I'm sure this is because I wasn't so clear with what I was saying. Thin sharper hair gives more of a blended effect, and therefore appears more natural.

Yes.. and I believe she was saying sharp = blunt cut... which is opposite of what you were trying to say before. :confused:

I happen to like blunt cuts..

enfys
November 2nd, 2010, 09:02 AM
Angelleti, Madora and Sylvanas make good posts - Scraggly ends are never wanted, and thin hair is often percieved as being less 'healthy'.

I was simply interested to know more about people's experiences with blunt hair. I guess the term 'healthy hair' is vague enough for people to hold contrasting opinions.

If you wanted to know about our experiences with blunt hair, calling it ugly may not have been the best way to start that off.

My experience is that my hair is thick and quite straight and that works best for the styles I like. On me I think my thick ends look cared for. Some peoples hair naturally thins and looks elegant with it, others doesn't.

MsBubbles
November 2nd, 2010, 09:02 AM
I have actually pondered this mindset myself - about myself and why I believe hair like mine looks 'better' to me with a blunt hemline. I came up with:

- Because the ends are uniform, creating a hemline that looks thicker

- Because to me such a hemline says 'I cut it like this because I can'! That is, I would have enough hair on the sides and at the back for the hemline to go straight across and still be long. For some reason this show ample, long hair, not just one strand that is hanging down low at the back.

- Because my type hair can look really ratty and unhealthy really quickly, and I look like I don't know how to groom myself.

Those are my reasons, anyway. I have considered trimming in a more gentle U shape, but I don't think I really have enough hair, or thick enough strands, to pull that one off. My hair would look unhealthy, like I never cared for it at all. I want to avoid that look.

I am completely not getting what you mean by 'thin sharper hair'. To me, thin hair isn't sharp unless the individual strands are medium to coarse. Then that wouldn't be 'thin' hair to me at all. Do you mean anime type hair ends? Sorry for not getting this! I'm trying to understand :).

McFearless
November 2nd, 2010, 01:57 PM
Newsflash baby we are rarely natural. Cutting hair period is an enhancement. As is makeup, clothing, plastic surgery, etc etc.

If you're a guy confused by women cutting their hair straight across you're in for a rude awakening. Women will confuse you with a whole lot ;)

BrightEyes7
November 2nd, 2010, 02:01 PM
I love my 'ugly' blunt hemline. I think it makes it obvious I don't just have long hair. I have long, thick, healthy hair! And I love the look of my braid since it has very little taper... just those last layers growing out!

LouLaLa
November 2nd, 2010, 02:04 PM
By this analysis any cut would intefere with its natural state and it would lose its unique quality as your intefering with its nature etc which you mention in one of your initial and first few subsequent posts.

Each to their own, best if we dont use words like "ugly" though, LHC is about mutual support and understanding.

Roseate
November 2nd, 2010, 02:16 PM
Thick chunky hair is too feminine on a GUY

Too feminine for what? Femininity/masculinity is all about what's inside your head, not about what grows out of it.

I'm not any more or less feminine with long hair than I was with a shaved head, and I certainly don't judge a man's masculinity by his hemline!

Wear your hair how you like, but there's no need to be the gender-haircut police.

mali
November 2nd, 2010, 02:20 PM
I believe it's all about the length,face,thickness,color.It depends.They're all beautiful!:cookie:

lajsa
November 2nd, 2010, 02:26 PM
I'm not actually sure about what I like the most. I don't care much about other people's hemlines; if they're happy with how it looks, they're going to look gorgeous no matter what ;) On myself I haven't tried a lot of different hemlines, but I believe I like a gentle u-shape. I don't think I'd want a steeper V, since that'd make my ends thinner, and I would like for my hair to look as thick as possible. I might consider a blunt hemline later, when I've reached a good length and have decided to maintain at that length.

I think the length of the hair makes a difference in what sort of hemline looks best, but it's all down to personal taste in the end, and who am I to declare what sort of hemline others should have? I think all hemlines are nice, as long as the person having them enjoys them. :p

And also I believe gender doesn't matter at all for what hemline you should have.
Or indeed what length you should have, because I've found myself very infatuated with long-haired men lately... blunt hemline or not. :p

mariika
November 2nd, 2010, 02:40 PM
I am in love with blunt look. I wish I could get one. I think straight hair asks for blunt look. I wish I had dead straight hair. I think it's a personal choice though, I have nothing against people with straight hair going for smth else, not strict lines and shapes, they look awesome as well.
It's just.... Have you seen these: one (http://www.hairfinder.com/hairstyles8/ab1.jpg), two (http://www.celebrityhairstylesnews.com/shorthairstyles/jennymccarthy.jpg), three (http://www.womenshairstylesonline.com/Hair/Gallery/Swept_Back_Bob_Hairstyle_95454.jpg)?

Prettyeyes23
November 2nd, 2010, 03:04 PM
Wow Surfguy, that was pretty much to the point! I have put a lot of effort into maintaining and improving my blunt hemline and that is how it is going to stay!

Maverick494
November 2nd, 2010, 03:56 PM
Surfguy, you are kinda lacking in tact, aren't you? I'm not going to jump you or anything but it kinda surprises me that you would put out your opinion out there like this.

I have a blunt hemline (click my profile to see it) and I think it's the right one for me.

Besides, what is natural? We'd all be walking around with our hair dragging over the ground (plus a foot of dead ends) if we'd truly let nature run its course with it. Nice, undamaged hair is best managed with trims that cut off the dead ends. A blunt hemline might not be everyone's cup of tea, but it CAN look very good. To illustrate:

http://img151.imageshack.us/img151/1102/hairqn7.jpg

In my personal opinion, ANY hemline, as long it's well cared for, looks good. Everyone has something that works for them. And like others said, hair length comes into play as well. The above hemline might look less good on TB or kneelength hair because the ends get too thin.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3319/3327807035_2c399ed435_b.jpg

But it depends on so many things, like texture and thickness. Just saying blunt is ugly and natural (whatever that may be) is best is pretty short sighted.

jenwexler
November 2nd, 2010, 04:07 PM
I hated blunt on me when I was little. I think it depends on face shape and texture. I see layers compliments me better so I'm never doing blunt again.....but everyone is different.

Little_Bird
November 2nd, 2010, 04:14 PM
Sometimes you can't have both: lenght and the hemline you want. I'd love to have a blunt hemline with my lenght, but I don't think my growing cycle would ever let that happen. I just love what I have, which is a thin blunt hemline prone to faerytaling.

I just love long hair in all it's shapes and forms. The thing is it's gotta be healthy. And we've got us here at LHC to take care of that :)

Vermelha
November 2nd, 2010, 04:21 PM
It's whatever, as long as a person isn't doing it because everyone else is. Then too, it's kinda hard when people walk around, gloating about their hemline being even, or a V, or a W or whatever they have. It makes others (especially newbies) think that's the way their hair is supposed to be.

As long as it's healthy, that's what I say!

Sometimes you can't have both: lenght and the hemline you want. I'd love to have a blunt hemline with my lenght, but I don't think my growing cycle would ever let that happen. I just love what I have, which is a thin blunt hemline prone to faerytaling.

I just love long hair in all it's shapes and forms. The thing is it's gotta be healthy. And we've got us here at LHC to take care of that :)

I agree! You can't have everything. Sometimes, you'll end up with nothing at all...

And I love your hair!

sailing
November 2nd, 2010, 04:30 PM
Dry, I look like I've got a blunt hemline. But if my hair is wet, I've got a pretty good V/U going on. On me, the blunt looking ends look a million times better. When I first was trying henna, didn't use enough others to counteract the straightening of the henna and ugh, my ends looked so poorly. They get really moth eaten and tattered looking. Not the pretty fairy tale ends in the least.

Depends on the head of hair and the wearer of the hair. As long as it's well taken care of, I like people's hair no matter what. I figure they wear their hair how they are happy, so it's not a problem.

twopoints
November 2nd, 2010, 04:42 PM
I like the blunt hemline look because it seems more healthy, thick and cared for. I don't like the thin hemlines because... They look so thin!

greentealeaf
November 2nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
I'm with Maverick on this one. Well cared for hair, no matter what shape or length, always looks the best!

GuardGirl
November 3rd, 2010, 06:22 PM
I can't help but say it~ if we were only concerned with 'natural' beauty, we wouldn't shower on a regular basis, shave our legs, even own mirrors. Things, including hair, can be beautiful without being 'natural.' Architecture isn't natural, but certainly some beautiful structures exist in the world.

Personal, I think it's rude to make blanket statements on here. Your comments are insensitive and ignorant, no different than saying "all curly hair is ugly." Who told you that your opinion mattered more than anyone else's?

maxzeen
November 3rd, 2010, 06:33 PM
I love my blunt ends (^(oo)^)v

It's like stilettos for hair! High heels aren't natural either, but they give my legs an extra woo! factor, as I like to call it, and I think a blunt hemline does the same thing for my hair.

I totally agree.

Juneii
November 3rd, 2010, 06:45 PM
I think everyone else has built a good case against your opinion. Thick blunt cuts look healthier because it looks less "damaged" than fairytale hair. It probably isn't true, but it is generally perceived that way.

May
November 3rd, 2010, 06:49 PM
I am in love with blunt look. I wish I could get one. I think straight hair asks for blunt look. I wish I had dead straight hair. I think it's a personal choice though, I have nothing against people with straight hair going for smth else, not strict lines and shapes, they look awesome as well.
It's just.... Have you seen these: one (http://www.hairfinder.com/hairstyles8/ab1.jpg), two (http://www.celebrityhairstylesnews.com/shorthairstyles/jennymccarthy.jpg), three (http://www.womenshairstylesonline.com/Hair/Gallery/Swept_Back_Bob_Hairstyle_95454.jpg)?

Are you saying these are blunt or not blunt? I'm confused. I do love the cuts though...really nice. :)

dreamsofthewind
November 3rd, 2010, 08:19 PM
I used to be enchanted by fairytale ends (hee!), but then I saw a woman in my city with the most AMAZING, long, bluntly-ended hair. For me it really depends on the length. At waist I am aiming for a pointy U, (less pointed than a V.) [I am going to pretend it will accentuate my small waist.] But when I get to tailbone, I will be aiming for a blunt end.
But, as I'm sure it's been said, to each her/his own. I think they are all beautiful in their own ways.

Sunsailing
November 3rd, 2010, 08:58 PM
I think Surfguy is purposely baiting the members here with his vague, misworded, contradicting statements.

Here's my response......:cheese:

Lady Mary
November 3rd, 2010, 09:17 PM
While I love fairytale ends, I don't dislike blunt ends at all. I actually like blunt too but I think as a personal preference on my hair, I'll stick with fairytale ends.

They have a saying here on LHC which I really love, it's called K.N.I.T. (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/announcement.php?f=8&a=8) This thread is kind of long so I am unsure if anyone else posted it but I think it's a really good rule of thumb to follow. It's good to take the time to consider these points before posting, to avoid any yucky situations. :)

Before you hit the "Submit" button, review what you're about to say.

* Is it Kind?

* Is it Necessary?

* Is it Informative?

* Is it True?

UltraBella
November 3rd, 2010, 09:50 PM
I think Surfguy is purposely baiting the members here with his vague, misworded, contradicting statements.

Thank you, I agree whole heartedly !!!!!

Igor
November 3rd, 2010, 11:59 PM

*Nods*

I know LHC likes to pride itself in not having the usual interwebz dramas, but I still don’t understand why people don’t spot a troll

Even if someone isn’t trolling (Hah!) with a statement like this, isn’t that something we should learn to ignore from Kindergarten level?
“You ugly!”
“Okay, that’s just your opinion” *Shrug and move on with your life*

In real life, its not worth arguing with people with opinions like this or trying to educate them to that other peoples opinions can be valid too :shrug:

Dreams_in_Pink
November 4th, 2010, 12:35 AM
I don't want my hair to look natural. I want it to look supernatural, in a state that a bystander never thought possible without extensions. I want people to marvel at my barely-there braid taper. What is so great about natural things?

I gotta agree :) There's also thinness factor, natural fairytale ends makes me feel like i'm losing hair. Blunt ends assure me that my hair's thick and healthy :)

pennylane
November 4th, 2010, 01:04 AM
To each their own.

I love to see hair that is well trimmed and well maintained. A nice, clean hemline with thick, healthy ends is the epitome of healthy beautiful hair in my opinion.

Well said!

I second that! :)

surfguy87
November 4th, 2010, 01:59 AM
I used to be enchanted by fairytale ends (hee!), but then I saw a woman in my city with the most AMAZING, long, bluntly-ended hair. For me it really depends on the length. At waist I am aiming for a pointy U, (less pointed than a V.) [I am going to pretend it will accentuate my small waist.] But when I get to tailbone, I will be aiming for a blunt end.
But, as I'm sure it's been said, to each her/his own. I think they are all beautiful in their own ways.

Good post.

It seems length has a lot to do with how flattering blunt hair can be, as most respondents to this thread do infact mention having long hair if not are aiming for it. Blunt ends might actually compliment longer hair more than shorter hair (shoulder length).

Given that hair growth requires a lot of self-discipline, commitment and care, wearing a blunt hemline may be the definitive statement of 'control' by people that have long hair. Is there anyone in this thread that has a blunt shorter 'bob-like' hairstyle? If so, how do you feel about it when you wear blunt hair?

Also, Is 'fairytale-end' a term used in the UK? I have never heard it before. Is it the same as 'feathering' which IS a term I've heard muttered.

enfys
November 4th, 2010, 02:18 AM
Of course we are either long haired or want to be; this is the Long Hair Community.

Many of the terms used here are specific to long hair rather than to country. There will be many terms used here that you will never hear or get to use offline.

Lianna
November 4th, 2010, 02:41 AM
Is there anyone in this thread that has a blunt shorter 'bob-like' hairstyle? If so, how do you feel about it when you wear blunt hair?

I think my hair is kinda bob-like now, but it's really just a pixie growing out, I trim the layers. Whenever I had a blunt cut at this length, it was too thick for my taste, so I would layer even if it wasn't growing like this.

I didn't post anything before because I just really like any hemline. Thinking about growing out in a not so deep V.

KittyLost
November 4th, 2010, 04:45 AM
I like all kinds of hemlines, the fact that this place is so varied with hair lengths and hemlines and hair types makes it unique and infuses peoples individuality. If we were all the same it would make the world a boring place :p also to quote someone's signiture around the board.
"We are not here to decorate your world".

Opinion can also be fickle for example, on myself and my own hair, I prefer to keep a blunt cut from a chin pob right down until APL and a few centimetres after. Then I like to go into a U hemline as my hair gets longer towards BSL, this time when my hair is longer I'm going to try a V after seeing some V hemlines across the board, it's not common where I live, blunt cuts are.

Zindell
November 4th, 2010, 12:15 PM

Ouch! I guess I have blunt cut hair. :p
<=======

I never though of it as 'squared' though ... but I guess it might be. :D

littlenvy
November 4th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Welcome to LHC.

Everyone has different preferences when it comes to their hair. Blunt, U shaped, V shaped or fairytale ends; they are all unique in their own ways. :flower:
Right you are!! :)
Different hemlines for different types of hair.
I keep mine as blunt as possible to make my very thin hair look thicker and healthier. Which makes me happy :cheese:

pepperminttea
November 4th, 2010, 01:23 PM
Also, Is 'fairytale-end' a term used in the UK? I have never heard it before. Is it the same as 'feathering' which IS a term I've heard muttered.

What enfys said. LHC might as well have a dialect of English all its own. :p

And also, feathering is lots of small layers, often around the face - to soften it. Imagine the 'feathered' edge of a photograph that blurs into the border. It's the same sort of effect.

jel
November 4th, 2010, 02:50 PM
To each their own.

I think everyone else has built a good case against your opinion. Thick blunt cuts look healthier because it looks less "damaged" than fairytale hair. It probably isn't true, but it is generally perceived that way.

Layered hair and fairy tale ends *can* be well maintained and healthy, whilst bluntly cut hair *can* be full of splits and damaged. I find it a shame that bluntness, or otherwise, are often equalled with health, or otherwise!

Personally, I quite like to see all types of ends and hemlines on other people's hair (and even if I didn't, who cares - it's just my opinion), but on me, I prefer layered, fairy tale ends.

mali
November 4th, 2010, 02:56 PM
I personally like the ''blunt'' look.I think it's gorgeous.I saw it on Malin Akermann(I think that was her name)with bangs in ''Watchmen'' and it was indeed beautiful.I think blunt makes you think the hair is thicker,better-styled.

JamieLeigh
November 4th, 2010, 03:43 PM
As I had a severe shed in January, if I were to let my hair fairy-tale, you'd never know I had hair this long. I choose to blunt-cut mine, I do it myself, and my signature pic is the most recent hairshot from last month. I do this to try to maintain the length I want, and to let my thickness move down my length before attempting anything more extreme. At this moment, I love my blunt ends. :crush:

I would eventually like to discover my terminal length, and to do that I will have to stop trimming altogether and let it naturally taper...and I will love it just as much then as I do now. :D

Oh...and it does not matter what anyone else thinks of my hair, I do not post my hair photos for anyone's approval, I post to share my love of long hair care with like-minded individuals who might be interested in what I'm doing. I know that I am interested in others' hair care rituals. THAT is what this community is about, not a contest to see whose hair looks better, or to be told that we should all try to look the same. Our individuality is the best thing we have in this world full of Hollywood carbon-copies. :flower:

KittyLost
November 5th, 2010, 03:47 AM
I personally like the ''blunt'' look.I think it's gorgeous.I saw it on Malin Akermann(I think that was her name)with bangs in ''Watchmen'' and it was indeed beautiful.I think blunt makes you think the hair is thicker,better-styled.

Oh what gorgeous hair she had!

hairobsessed1
November 5th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I personally prefer blunt ends on myself because mixing layered, curly hair with fairytale ends looks very odd- a friend of mine layered her hair and found this out the hard way. I think pretty much anything works on straight hair, but i do find when i see very damaged hair i get the erge to cut it off.

Catia
November 5th, 2010, 04:16 PM
Layered hair and fairy tale ends *can* be well maintained and healthy, whilst bluntly cut hair *can* be full of splits and damaged. I find it a shame that bluntness, or otherwise, are often equalled with health, or otherwise!

:agree::agree::agree:

I think people on *both* sides of this (blunt vs fairytale) debate need to practice more tolerance/sensitivity.

One thing to keep in mind - It's not always a choice.

I had fairytale ends for 29 years and ALWAYS heard the "unhealthy" correlation with such, even though (thanks to coarse hair) I didn't have any split ends and it was VERY healthy. I now have a shallow U cut and you know what the biggest enjoyment about it is? Knowing others aren't making FALSE judgements about it. Sometimes it's nice just to take a breather from the oppression. Lay off people. Take a chill pill. If you want to take people's inventory - start with your own.

And kudos to the poster (I'm sorry I don't remember who said this :)) that said "Natural" hair would be dragging on the ground. Yes it would. Trust me. So I think the OP needs to reflect on where his opinions are grounded.

ghost
November 5th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I highly prefer blunt ends on me. Other people can do what they want.
Maybe I'll tolerate some gentle outgrowth on myself, but I don't really want fairytale ends.

mira-chan
November 5th, 2010, 05:05 PM
:agree::agree::agree:

I think people on *both* sides of this (blunt vs fairytale) debate need to practice more tolerance/sensitivity.

One thing to keep in mind - It's not always a choice.

I had fairytale ends for 29 years and ALWAYS heard the "unhealthy" correlation with such, even though (thanks to coarse hair) I didn't have any split ends and it was VERY healthy. I now have a shallow U cut and you know what the biggest enjoyment about it is? Knowing others aren't making FALSE judgments about it. Sometimes it's nice just to take a breather from the oppression. Lay off people. Take a chill pill. If you want to take people's inventory - start with your own.

And kudos to the poster (I'm sorry I don't remember who said this :)) that said "Natural" hair would be dragging on the ground. Yes it would. Trust me. So I think the OP needs to reflect on where his opinions are grounded.
Thank you! :flowers:

vanity_acefake
November 5th, 2010, 05:44 PM
Wow! I don't know if you meant to but you came accross as incredibly judgemental! :(
I have fine, poker straight hair, but lots of it. I have it cut in a lovely straight line so it looks thicker. Otherwise when i have my hair in braids it tapers off to nothing.
I love all hemline shapes and think that the condition of the hair is what matters.
There is nothing more beautuful than long, healthy hair regardless of hemline.
Live and let live. All hemlines are beautiful as all people are beautiful regardless of colour or creed.

christine1989
November 5th, 2010, 06:20 PM
I am a huge fan of blunt hemlines because they look thick and more healthy to me. I really hate it when my hair taipers at the ends because I think it looks sloppy.

tinti
November 5th, 2010, 07:06 PM
To each his/her own :) When I got my big chop from allmost bsl to sl in 2008 I chose to have it cut blunt, and as it grew I came to love it. I have'nt decided what hemline I want to have after I have trimmed off my layers. I'd love fairytale ends, but as I'm vision impaired I can't see my splits and so I need a hairdresser to trim once in a blue moon. Right now it looks like an outgrown, random hemline, but however I choose to get it cut I'm gonna love it, but also love all other healthy hemlines.

And kudos to KNIT poster :)

jasper
November 6th, 2010, 04:59 AM
Blunt looks better to me because I obsess over volume, or my lack thereof. Blunt hemlines look thicker, as you say, and that is what I wish my thin, fine hair was.

Having said that, there is nothing blunt about my hair except my bangs, which get regular trims and are so blunt they don't match with my hair I always try to soften them up.

katha
November 6th, 2010, 05:20 AM
I'm not a fan of blunt haircuts either, but guess what? I'm not saying it is ugly. It isn't. I just don't want it for myself, that doesn't mean it looks good on nobody.

In regards to other threads I read from the TO, I suspect he is either bored (basically trolling) or someone who is very new to forums and such.
Innocent until proven guilty, so.. TO, I'd like to say you really should take care how you word your statements, what you're doing here is downright rude and offensive even to me even though I see where you're coming from.

Bonkers57
November 6th, 2010, 05:17 PM
There ya go! :laugh: Blunt is beautiful to me - to each their own.

feralnature
November 6th, 2010, 05:59 PM
Fairytail here.

It was not until I joined up here that I even thought about such things. Although I was previously a fan of blunt, I quickly became a fan of fairytail and V-shape after joining up here at LHC and seeing the beautiful heads of hair here. Also, I live out in the woods, seldom leaving, for weeks at a time. I rarely even comb my hair so I do not care so much about blunt or V or U. I just have my hair. I coconut oil it and condition it and run a large comb through it. Otherwise, I let it be. I like it natural. I like it fairytailing. I will trim it soon into a V and then leave it be for a few years again. This is my life on the farm in the woods.

jojo
November 6th, 2010, 06:28 PM
I have never met a hemline that I didnt like, I prefer the colour purple but I don't expect everybody else too! live and let live and for the time being my ugly blunt ends will be stopping until I fancy a change!