PDA

View Full Version : No trims in 2011 challenge!

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

Lize
November 2nd, 2010, 03:29 AM
Maybe a little early for New Year's resolutions, but here we go!

I have decided to do a No trims in 2011 challenge. I am growing out old highlights and layers and that has made me trim a lot lately. Now I want some length and I will go one whole year with no trims. I have never succeeded in doing that before so this will be a real challenge for me.

I want to see how much my hair could grow if I left it for one year with no trims. Since my hair is highlighted (most of it) and layered I am sure it won't be very pretty, so I will need all the support I can get.

I will have one last trim in the end of December this year. I am planning to cut like 1/2 inch, and probably only dust the layers. I think I have to trim one last time, otherwise it will be too hard to go one year. I have also decided to start my challenge in January because it feels easier to do a "calendar year".

During this challenge I will allow myself to S&D. I will try to wear my hair up as much as I can to avoid damage.

I am thinking this thread would be a great place to get support and to post progress pictures.

Who is with me?? :D

PS. I know there's a No trimming club, but I wanted to start a thread for this specific challenge. DS.

Here's a link to the social group with pictures: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=229

Mirsha
November 2nd, 2010, 03:46 AM
Oooooooh yes, this is for me!

I'm planning on cutting back to APL soon, to finally get rid of my layers and old dye damage. After that, I need time to recover from the shock of being at starting length again, a year would just be enough :D

redneckprincess
November 2nd, 2010, 04:09 AM
I'm in!! I already am on a 1 year no trim till mid-May and was hoping to go longer. So I will try my best for no trims for the entire 2011 calander year. I'm so excited to see how long my hair will be at this time next year, I've never been any longer then I am now, if this long!! (22" or so)

Yeesha
November 2nd, 2010, 04:15 AM
I'm willing to try it too. :)
I wanted to go a year without trims for quite some time now, but somehow every summer I'm at home and let my mother trim my hair...

So: I'm in. :D

ericthegreat
November 2nd, 2010, 04:19 AM
I will admire anyone here who can stand NOT trimming their hair for up to a whole year. Me personally, I can't do it. I like my hemline to be blunt and healthy looking. There was a time when I thought I could tolerate having thin, fairytale ends but it simply wasn't for me.

Good luck to everyone here who is willing to do it!

Lize
November 2nd, 2010, 04:32 AM
Hi guys! :waving: Awesome that there are already some people joining me! I am currently trying to think lots of positive thoughts to be able to go through with this. I want my hair to get longer so bad now!

I will admire anyone here who can stand NOT trimming their hair for up to a whole year. Me personally, I can't do it. I like my hemline to be blunt and healthy looking. There was a time when I thought I could tolerate having thin, fairytale ends but it simply wasn't for me.

Good luck to everyone here who is willing to do it!

Thank you! I agree with you on wanting a blunt(ish) hemline. I think it looks best on my hair too. But right now I feel I am getting nowhere lengthwise if I will keep trimming as often as I do. I think this challenge will help me get kick started in growing and once my hair feels a bit longer, like after this year, I will probably start trimming regularly again. Also I don't think that hair has to be blunt cut to look healthy. I have seen many fairytale ends on these boards looking very healthy.

Lemur_Catta
November 2nd, 2010, 04:44 AM
I'm with you! I'll trim for the last time on December 31st, then no trims for a year :D I like it!
My hair is very damaged from dye, so I will probably have some breakage, but I'll do my best to treat my hair gently, use henna and stop with the peroxide!

bunzfan
November 2nd, 2010, 04:51 AM
I'm in, my last proper haircut was back in June and so far no splits. I don't know if my hair will stand over a year in my case but i am willing to try:)

Safira
November 2nd, 2010, 05:03 AM
I join this. This year I didn´t cut at all. My hair grew in 11 months 6.7 inches. Now I decided to cut at Chistmas-time and then leave my hair to grow for another year.

Yeesha
November 2nd, 2010, 05:27 AM
I'm preferring a blunt hemline too, but then I think: I'm wearing my hair up 99% of the time nonetheless, so why bother with the hemline?
With a bit thinner ends it's easier to secure the updos.

Dyefree
November 2nd, 2010, 07:56 AM
I'm in.

I've just cut from APL to SL and I'm done with cutting for a year.
I'm giving my hair the respect it deserves, with no heat, no dye, clipped up, no styling products, VCO daily, CWC wash only and prenatal vitamins....

Will update with pictures when I can! We can do it! :cheese:

Octave
November 2nd, 2010, 08:26 AM
I think I'm in as well. Really want my hair to grow longer without loosing some of that needed length. + If I really take good care of my hair it won't get damaged and I won't really need a trim. Maybe just a random S&D from time to time. So yeah count me in! :toast:

autumnchild
November 2nd, 2010, 08:39 AM
Thanks for posting this! You must have been reading my mind. I recently relocated and went in for a trim, well I got a lot more than that, which is really dissapointing because I have been try to grow my hair for what seems like forever. I have curly hair and I guess when you mix a scissor happy stylist with no knowledge on how to trim/cut curly hair (they seem to think you wont notice that they have screwed up because of all the curls and swirls they think it will "blend" in) this is what I now have to work with. :( I need to gain all of the inches that were unexpectedly taken from me. So this sounds like a plan:o Thanks again!! I could also use any helpful hints to help my process along, ie. hair care, vitamins, etc.

Lize
November 2nd, 2010, 08:47 AM
Sorry about that autumnchild! It hope it will grow back fast. A misundertandning between me and a hairdresser that left me with a pixie was actually the reason that I found LHC in the first place. Since then I have been cutting my own hair.

The problem for me though is that I have always been weak and indecisive when it comes to hair. I DO want it long but sometimes I am so impulsive. That's also why this year of no trims will be so good for me. If I can get through this it will prove to me that I CAN do what I plan for myself. And now I most definately can't give up since I started this thread. ;)

enfys
November 2nd, 2010, 08:55 AM
I might end up accidentally joining this. To keep on course to reach my major goal when I expect to (mid 2013) I will try and only trim when I get over half an inch growth in a month.

I admire those of you who can really commit! Good luck.

autumnchild
November 2nd, 2010, 09:07 AM
Thanks Lize. I was considering before I even went in to try and trim it myself (I just don't know where, or how to start) and thought I would leave it to the "professionals" instead. I probably should wing it next time (in 2012) and do it myself, hey then if anything should go different than planned I will only have myself to blame. haha. :p Seems kinda scary to trim my own hair, but even scarier to be misunderstood. Sorry that you had that experience also.

mellie89
November 2nd, 2010, 09:45 AM
I think I'm in! I'm going to trim between a half-inch and an inch on December 31st to get rid of the worst of my layers, then I should be good to go.

I was thinking, "Ehhh, I don't know," then I realized that I will be at my goal of waist by December 2011 if I do this! That sounds lovely. :D

Lorz
November 2nd, 2010, 09:55 AM
I will join you. I have layered hair right now and I will have to see what it looks like as it goes. I don't know what the layers will look like, and whether they will turn into a jumbled mess. I will still do S&D for split ends though.

skaempfer
November 2nd, 2010, 09:57 AM
What a great idea, Lize! Count me in. I've just grown out all my accidental post-pixie layers so I think I could go a year.

So the rules :deal: are no cutting/trimming, S&D allowed?

United we stand (well, grow hair) divided we trim!
:wethree::wethree::wethree::wethree::wethree:

Lize
November 2nd, 2010, 10:08 AM
So the rules :deal: are no cutting/trimming, S&D allowed?

That was what I was thinking. I don't think I could go a year without S&D. Not that I do it a lot but you know, it wouldn't be beneficial for the hair to leave splits be. I'm actually quite excited to start this challenge now! :D

Neneka
November 2nd, 2010, 10:57 AM
I'm in! That's easy for me because I haven't had a "real" trim for 1,5 years. I have done some small trimming myself but I am not going to do that anymore, just S&D. I am afraid of hairdressers and I don't have too much money. Oh... My hair will be finally long at the end of 2011...

mrs_coffee
November 2nd, 2010, 11:10 AM
I need to do this. I am impulsive about cutting my hair and once I start trimming I never know where I'll end up. If I can keep the scissors away from my hair altogether I might actually make some progress! :)

vintersaga
November 2nd, 2010, 11:51 AM
Count me in. :)

I'm growing out a buzzcut since april this year, and haven't trimmed once yet as my hair still seems very healthy.. I want to go as long as possible, and this could be a mile-stone for me. I don't think I will trim before the beginning of the new year, as it is now november and my hair is in no need of trimming, so I think I will be able to go right into this challenge. :flower:

triumphator!
November 2nd, 2010, 11:54 AM
I'm in! I didn't trim from Nov 2009 - Nov 2010, so I'll continue not cutting until Nov 2011! It'll be grand :)

It's easy to get over the trimming obsession once you realize how much progress you can make in one year. I grew 7 whole inches in the front!

Lize
November 2nd, 2010, 01:15 PM
I'm in! I didn't trim from Nov 2009 - Nov 2010, so I'll continue not cutting until Nov 2011! It'll be grand :)

It's easy to get over the trimming obsession once you realize how much progress you can make in one year. I grew 7 whole inches in the front!

Cool! That is sure motivating to hear, even though I doubt that my own growth rate is that fast. But I am pretty scissor happy so next year will certainly be an interesting one!

lhangel9
November 2nd, 2010, 04:44 PM
Ooh I'm so in.:pray:

Lorz
November 2nd, 2010, 04:47 PM

I am new to this forum and I'm just now starting to read about how quickly hair can actually grow...7 inches sounds like a lot of growth! What about the rest of your hair? Was that on top too or just your fringe/bangs area?

*Seraphina*
November 3rd, 2010, 04:41 AM
I think I will join this too! The last time I cut my hair was in May. I have some layers at the moment and no split ends so far.
I think I a get a little trim in the end of December and than just let it grow and see what happened. I think this is a good initiative of you.
I think my hair will be the longest it has ever been in December 2011! :cheese:
I will only cut when I get split ends or my hair is very thin in the ends.

*Seraphina*
November 3rd, 2010, 04:42 AM
Hmm I think a lot in my message :D

JenniferNoel
November 3rd, 2010, 06:24 AM
This one is going to be a real challenge for me, but if I wear my hair up frequently that may make things a little easier. My hemline goes whack if I don't trim every six months, but maybe it'll be different this time around. You never know.
So bottom line, I'm joining, wish me luck. :p

DARKMARTIAN
November 3rd, 2010, 06:53 AM
I actually do plan on getting a much needed trim in about two weeks. But normally I would say that this is no challenge for me. And I say that because before the trim im going to receive in two weeks......my last one was near two years ago.

So actually......being as it will still be 2010 when I get cut.......I should pass this challenge with flying colors because it will probably be 2012 when I think to get another one......

And ya never know........after that particular year....no one may need a trim anymore anyways....lol

(but honestly....I know I should trim my hair more often, ) :o

Lize
November 3rd, 2010, 08:59 AM
I think I will join this too! The last time I cut my hair was in May. I have some layers at the moment and no split ends so far.
I think I a get a little trim in the end of December and than just let it grow and see what happened. I think this is a good initiative of you.
I think my hair will be the longest it has ever been in December 2011! :cheese:

Thank you. :) I will also have a trim in the end of December becuase a year will be a long time with no trims for me. I am a rather frequent trimmer usually, but that is exactly what i am trying to take away by doing this. My hair will also possibly be the longest it has ever been in December 2011. At least as it has been since I was 8 years old. But I was so small back then so that doesn't really count to me. ;)

This one is going to be a real challenge for me, but if I wear my hair up frequently that may make things a little easier. My hemline goes whack if I don't trim every six months, but maybe it'll be different this time around. You never know.
So bottom line, I'm joining, wish me luck. :p

Same here, a real big challenge. That's why I will need to frequent this thread for support. :D I am also going to try to wear my hair up as much as possible. Both to avoid damage and to take my mind off it. For me it's not about the hemline so much as damage from highligts and layers, but i am not sure I can remember when I even went six months without a trim or cut...

Artsy
November 3rd, 2010, 09:33 AM
What a great challenge. I usually trim about 4 times per year. A lot of times my hairdresser would cut me back to apl and still call it a trim:( last time I went for a trim in September and this time was set back to bsl again.
So now I try to SD once a month mostly cutting off about .5 mm, some individual hairs obviously need more, but I'm really hoping to not go for a cut any sooner then December 2011. I hope I'll be able to wear my hair down. When I was little, my first real trim came at 16 y.o. My mother was loving fairy tale ends so much, and she somehow managed to keep off all people wanting to give me a cut:) So support definitely counts. Good luck to all:)
________
Marijuana Indica (http://strainindex.com)

lw8666
November 3rd, 2010, 11:55 AM
I am in!!!.... and motivated! I have not had a cut since February 18 2010. My one year will be February 18th, 2011. I will have a small trim on my anniversary date, then I will continue with this challenge of no trims in 2011!

I have such a hard time resisting the scissors, but I love that threads like this can help with support and motivation! Its also nice to grow with other people!

Yay! :)

sanfen
November 3rd, 2010, 12:44 PM
I will join this challenge. My slightly longer than shoulder length locks need a "cleaning up" trim with layers needing to be evened out a bit and then after that I'll be good to go. I'll do that before the year ends.

I did have waist length hair up until I was about 30 or so and since then I went back and forth (or should I say up and down?) I grew to below BSL about 6 years ago and have since cut it off. I was almost 50 then and my long hair (along w good skin care - LOL) made me look at least 10 years younger. :magic: I am ready to look 10 years younger again. :eyebrows:

This time around, I was needing a haircut for a long time but really didn't have the $ in my budget (haircuts are very expensive around here!) and just didn't do anything. A few weeks ago, I realized I wanted to grow my hair again and was so thankful that I hadn't gotten it cut at all in months. :) So I am starting with a "head start." :)

georgia_peach
November 3rd, 2010, 04:04 PM
I'm in! I am already wearing buffs, berets and scarves to keep my eyes and scissors away from my hair. Good luck to all!:)

Alexannee10
November 3rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
I would really like to achieve this, but I know I won't be able :( I'll try to trim my hair in december '10, and then, don't trim until university ^^ (~september 2011) It's a deal !

Naphthylamine
November 4th, 2010, 03:54 PM
Count me in!

I kinda got depressed while looking at my pictures from 2009; I had hip length hair without any care of stuff. After that I started having at least 4-inch trims each year, which fixed my thin-almost nonexistent ends, but ending up in shorter hair each time. So I had my last trim (~8 inch - or should I've said chop :/) in September when I first signed up to LHC. And god, it feels short! I am now babying my barely-waist-length-hair, protecting it from breakage etc, but not seeing much growth is also depressing. To regain my old length, it will be the most important step to stop the trimming. I am hiding my scissors tonight! :D

feralnature
November 4th, 2010, 05:24 PM
I'm in!

I have not had a trim since November 2007.

I will get a 2 inch trim, maybe 3 inches before Christmas and then go at least another year or so before trimming again. I do not S&D either. My siggy pic was from this spring 2010 and shows the layers I am growing out (see avatar from Jan. 2008 ). If I stretch it out, it is to my waist now. I believe that if you keep cutting your hair...well, it will take forever to get long. I will take care of the layers and split ends later. I like the feeling of long hair. I oil my hair with coconut oil so the ends look healthy in real life.

Angelica
November 4th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I would love to join in but don't know if my hair can manage that long without a trim. It seems to grow quicker at the sides. It could be breakage in the centre, I don't know. I cut it about an inch a month or so back and it feels much better for it. But I guess I could just see how many months it can go without a trim in 2011 :)

sailing
November 4th, 2010, 06:52 PM
I'm in!

The old damage, worst it does is snap off. Since the individual hairs snap vs the curl sections, it hides the shorter hairs. Also, haven't seen any of the problem in the 30" of healthy, not abused hair, so I think I can ignore the damage without hurting the rest of my hair.

Plus, I also know, I cut back to 30" straight, that's going to put me up above shoulders for curly and that is just not a good look on me at all.

LaurelSpring
November 4th, 2010, 07:17 PM
I'm in. I am going to do a dusting in December and then I want to just let it go. I dont care about the hemline. I love fairytale ends.

Heartwillfollow
November 4th, 2010, 09:44 PM
I'm in :) been on a no trim for a year since last July.. so this will work perfect...

akuamoonmaui
November 5th, 2010, 08:50 PM
I'll think about it. :meditate: .... Do bangs count? I like them.

christine1989
November 5th, 2010, 09:22 PM
I'm definatly in on this! I only trimmed once this year and really want to go another year without trims.

SilvraShadows
November 5th, 2010, 09:55 PM
With shaking hands... I'll need to hide my scissors. I'm a bit snippy happy. I don't know if I can really do this... but I will try... and having support here will be the best!

I last trimmed on the harvest moon and was hoping to go until the next one, but it's a new moon tonight where I live, so I might dust again... I seem to have botched the hemline *cough* My tresses are moon-kissed and I am moon-touched :) I think.

Lize
November 6th, 2010, 03:25 AM
I'll think about it. :meditate: .... Do bangs count? I like them.

If you wanna keep your bangs of course you'd be allowed to cut them. Your challenge could be only to not cut the length. :)

With shaking hands... I'll need to hide my scissors. I'm a bit snippy happy. I don't know if I can really do this... but I will try... and having support here will be the best!

I last trimmed on the harvest moon and was hoping to go until the next one, but it's a new moon tonight where I live, so I might dust again... I seem to have botched the hemline *cough* My tresses are moon-kissed and I am moon-touched :) I think.

If you are scissor happy, like me :lol:, I am sure this will be a good challenge for you to join. ;) I will need tons of support so I plan to give tons of support too!

jaine
November 6th, 2010, 07:26 AM
My bangs are blended into the layers in my length (they're basically cheekbone-length side layers around my face that get progressively longer towards the back of my head) so I end up trimming most of the layers on the top of my head out of necessity if I trim my bangs. Hmmm. I think the only way I could do this is if I let my bangs grow, which I have been meaning to try but I struggle at getting them past chin length because it's such an awkward length.

Ok, I'll join. Having bangs and layers that are too long is much easier to fix than hair that's too short. Plus I wear my hair in updo's every day at work so the awkwardness will be easy to hide if there is any.

Astarte_1980
November 6th, 2010, 07:27 AM
Good idea, I am with you.
I will not trim my hair in 2011, I will only do if needed S&D.

kitten1986
November 6th, 2010, 08:10 AM
Count me in... but I am starting now :D
I had a small (1cm) trim at the HD the other week so I am all fresh and ready to go :D

I will s&d to keep the splits at bay, and I will allow one microtrim if the damage really starts showing :rolleyes:

Avrilon
November 6th, 2010, 08:32 AM
I'm joining you guys! :waving: I've been wanting to grow to classic for what... at least 5 years now? My hair is so fine that I always trim back to tailbone or waist whenever the ends look the least bit wispy to me. But I want to finally reach classic - wispy or not. And I'm going to start right now since I just got a 1" trim last week. Can I do it? :hmm: I'm sure going to try. I'll certainly need support in this endeavor though 'cause I sure love blunt ends on my hair. This might be tough to do! But... I'm up for the challenge. :thumbsup:

jaine
November 6th, 2010, 08:42 AM
I just feel bad for my hair stylist! She did such an awesome job on my last haircut in December 09 and she must be wondering why I never came back. I was planning to see her at least once next year and explain myself. Maybe I can make it up to her with referrals ...or see her for a deep treatment instead of a haircut. :)

Curly_jas
November 6th, 2010, 09:10 AM
I'm in :) i always seem to cut my hair when it gets to a certain length because of split ends which then sets me back many months, but now i am taking care of my hair i should have less split ends and i'm curious to see how much my hair grows in a year without me cutting/trimming it.

princessp
November 6th, 2010, 10:01 AM
I'm officially in. I haven't trimmed since last March and didn't miss it, so this should be easy!

Off topic but, Avrilon are you really 59 yo? Holy moly, you look like you are 25!

CTH3989
November 6th, 2010, 06:15 PM
I haven't had a trim in 4 years but my ends are dry and brittle. Last night, I tried covering my ends in EVOO and plastic wrap and wearing my hair in a bun overnight but that didn't help much. Any other suggestions?

MNoelH
November 6th, 2010, 06:35 PM
I'm honestly not trying to be contrary here, but I can't imagine committing to not trimming.

If my hair warrants a trim, if my hair starts to look straggly and warrants a trim, I go in for a trim. Mind you, I've gone for over a year between trims and sometimes have needed a trim at six months, but since I don't know what damage the future may bring, I would never commit to any kind of time limit. Plus, it seems to me that the longer you go without trimming any damage, the more you will have to trim when you finally get to it; thus, you really don't garner any length overall.

I guess if I were a trim junky, I could see myself trying to set an expectation or goal. I wear my hair down too often and would rather be known as the chick with healthy and pretty long hair instead of the chick with long hair. But that's just me.

Lize
November 7th, 2010, 12:01 PM
I'm honestly not trying to be contrary here, but I can't imagine committing to not trimming.

If my hair warrants a trim, if my hair starts to look straggly and warrants a trim, I go in for a trim. Mind you, I've gone for over a year between trims and sometimes have needed a trim at six months, but since I don't know what damage the future may bring, I would never commit to any kind of time limit. Plus, it seems to me that the longer you go without trimming any damage, the more you will have to trim when you finally get to it; thus, you really don't garner any length overall.

I guess if I were a trim junky, I could see myself trying to set an expectation or goal. I wear my hair down too often and would rather be known as the chick with healthy and pretty long hair instead of the chick with long hair. But that's just me.

Of course everyone will not want to join this challenge. I think the people joining are doing it for various reasons that makes it feel right for them. I have my own reasons for doing it.

I don't think my hair will be that damaged in a year that I will have to trim as much as I probably would have in the next year if I didn't do this. Possibly the ends will become a bit uneven and a bit thinner. But my main focus right now is to finally get to a length that I am more comfortable with, because at the length that I am now I am more likely to chop becasue I don't like the in between length.

I am not sure that not trimming one's hair in one year would make it look unhealthy either. :shrug:

constantki
November 7th, 2010, 12:12 PM
I am so in!

sailing
November 7th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Got rid off the damage, looks an inch shorter when I cut off 19 or so inches. May be a 3c now. Have time to sort this out and then no trims is on.

nena_shawty
November 7th, 2010, 01:25 PM
yes i am willing to do it in fact i was thinkin of doing it but my family dont really show enthuseasm about me growing my hair back long and healthy and since i was always cutting my hair they dont really belive i can go a whole year like that but i have gone 4 whole months without cutting so im sure i can do this and im glad i will have people to support me

bte
November 7th, 2010, 01:43 PM
As every year, I am in - I don't intend to trim in 2011! Good luck to all non trimmers!

missjessiecakes
November 7th, 2010, 02:15 PM
I am going to have to say I am in. My bangs may stay or go sooooo who knows but I reserve the right to cut them at will. But I am getting it trimmed up on my birthday in december then I wont touch it after that :).

SilvraShadows
November 7th, 2010, 05:23 PM
If you are scissor happy, like me :lol:, I am sure this will be a good challenge for you to join. ;) I will need tons of support so I plan to give tons of support too!

I am very scissor happy! I can find the oddest excuses to trim/dust... this will be a very BIG challenge for me!

My last dusting was on this last new moon... as I said I would. So I am set and ready to go... I want to reach tb ultimately, but that won't be for months and months and months from now. So my goal this coming year is waist.

I am glad you started this thread!

JuneBride
November 7th, 2010, 05:29 PM
I want to join so badly but I know myself and I just couldn't do it :( but more power to you!!!!!!!!

mizsunshyne
November 7th, 2010, 06:02 PM
I'm in! Well, I really need to learn how to S&D. Is there a link to any instructions somewhere?

Maverick494
November 7th, 2010, 06:29 PM
N00b question, but: what is the effect of this on your hemline? Mine is blunt and thick and letting it just grow, would that make it uneven and messy?

I've always trimmed regularly, so that's why I ask.

mizsunshyne
November 7th, 2010, 06:37 PM
N00b question, but: what is the effect of this on your hemline? Mine is blunt and thick and letting it just grow, would that make it uneven and messy?

If you go long term, your ends will get thinner and possibly wispy. For just a year, though, you can just expect some thinner ends, about as even as they are now.

Lize
November 8th, 2010, 01:41 AM
As every year, I am in - I don't intend to trim in 2011! Good luck to all non trimmers!

Thank you very much for your support! :flowers:

I am very scissor happy! I can find the oddest excuses to trim/dust... this will be a very BIG challenge for me!

My last dusting was on this last new moon... as I said I would. So I am set and ready to go... I want to reach tb ultimately, but that won't be for months and months and months from now. So my goal this coming year is waist.

I am glad you started this thread!

I also wanna reach TB eventually. Next year I will probably get to BSL. I am also glad I started this thread! Feels like it's going to be so much easier now. :)

I'm in! Well, I really need to learn how to S&D. Is there a link to any instructions somewhere?

S&D basically means to search the hair for individual split ends and damage and when you find it, snip it off. Here's a thread on it. http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54960

I think that depends a lot on how your hair looks from the start. How thick it is, how fast it grows etc. I think my ends will probably become a bit thinner and and the hemline a bit more uneven.

curlycrown
November 8th, 2010, 07:48 AM
I am so in! I am currently about 1.5" away from BSL stretched but I plan to reach MBL stretched by the December 2011. I will do S&D if needed. I have 3c/4a dry hair so this will be a challenge. My purpose is to retain the most amount of length possible. Good luck to all of you ladies!

*Seraphina*
November 9th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Today I let my hair cut. It was frizzy and today I was strong enough to let it cut:) I don't like the fact that it is shorter now but from now I don't cut for a year and that feels as a relief. Maybe stupid but it is true.

Valdeon
November 9th, 2010, 07:04 AM
Hellooo!!

Got a quick question for all of you who participate in this challendge. Do S&D and\or dusting count as trims?
If not I think I am in :o If they count, then no, unfortunately, cause I will get terrible splits and breakage for sure

Good look to you all! :cheer:

Sjirsten
November 9th, 2010, 07:11 AM
I`m in!
I have almost APL hair and growing out some damage. Almost no layers now and I`m ready for a year without any trims except S&D for keeping split ends down to a minimum.

Looking forward to this - I love being able to take care of dyeing (hennagloss) and microtrims myself. Makes me feel free and not dependent on any hairdresser!!

autumnchild
November 9th, 2010, 07:25 AM
hi Valdeon
I am going to allow myself S&D that is just me though. I want to get as much length as I can in 1 year but also maintain best overall health, that is why I will allow S&D. It will be great to know that I can do this and see at the end of the challenge what has bee accomplished!!! Good luck and happy growing!

Lavina
November 9th, 2010, 07:42 AM
Hi! :flowers:
Count me in, I also planning no cutting in 2011! :)
I`m BSL now but hoping to grow it to my waist!

jojo
November 9th, 2010, 07:51 AM
I am going to try and give this a go. when I had a pixie bob cut I didn't cut for 2 years and went from neck to a few inches off APL, so I am hoping to get to hip length without trimming. I will still s&d but to be honest I can't be bothered with that a lot of time it get so obsessive.

I am going to continue with hendigo and daily oilings, also keeping my hair up which to be honest is a necessary as it just gets in everything at my length, yup! count me in.

Monkie
November 9th, 2010, 08:09 AM
I'm going to attempt it, I was planning on getting one decent trim right before the holidays, so the timing is perfect.

Sundial
November 9th, 2010, 09:16 AM
Me too! One last trim in December and only S&Ds thereafter.

Valdeon
November 9th, 2010, 09:29 AM
hi Valdeon
I am going to allow myself S&D that is just me though. I want to get as much length as I can in 1 year but also maintain best overall health, that is why I will allow S&D. It will be great to know that I can do this and see at the end of the challenge what has bee accomplished!!! Good luck and happy growing!

Oh well, if there are now particular restrictions, no trims in 2011 for me as well except for S&D and maybe dusting.

Yay to long hair! :cheese:

Mexibeach
November 9th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I'm in!!! Do not plan on any trims until I can do them myself!

miss_purple
November 9th, 2010, 11:04 AM
I'm in too. Did a serious cut last month (10 cm) and I kinda regret the length lost... though I got read of the unhealthy hair and some layers too ;)

MissMay
November 9th, 2010, 12:03 PM
Count me in! If I can do this, it'll be more than 2 years since I've trimmed (I seem to have very few spilts, my hair must be resilient lol!).
Then at the beginning of 2012 I'd like to cut out my layers so my hair is all one length =D

Lize
November 10th, 2010, 01:52 AM
Hi guys! I looked at my hair in the mirror today and saw it has gotten longer! It almost made me feel a bit like I don't wanna cut 1/2 inch before I start this challenge. However I think it will be necessary if I am going to be able to go through with this. My hair has highlights which I am growing out and it also has layers that start to look bad quite fast if they are not trimmed regularly. (Growing out the layers too.) The layers will look bad enough if I go one year with no trimming.. if I go one year and a few months they will probably be horrible.

Are there many of you who are planning to do "one last trim" before next year?

SilvraShadows
November 10th, 2010, 03:11 AM
Valdeon... I'm not sure if dustings count. Everyone has different definitions as to what a dusting is. For me it's a micro-trim, just a teeny bit off the hemline, so it counts as a trim... for me. And if I take my scissors out of hiding, I'm a gonner. So this challenge for me means no scissors. Just for 2011. I can do it. I. think.

But let's ask Lize...

Lize... Do dustings count? To answer your question, Lize, I did have my last trim already. I'm set to go! My length is already very thin... I imagine it will get much, much thinner! But I will gain some length and this is an exchange I am ready for. Nothing a little trim can't help fix after this challenging year is up. You have the greater challenge with your layers... but layered hair looks pretty to me even when it is growing out. I also grew out highlighted hair (when I first joined up here) and it was a struggle for me, but looking back I wish I had just let it grow out instead of cutting it as much as I did. Hindsight is 20/20. So you hang in there!

Seraphina... it is a relief knowing we don't have to cut for a whole year, going unchecked I like to call it. There is freedom in this, I think I will enjoy it very much. A good trim to begin the journey, then off we go!

I am wondering what sort of hemline I will have a year from now? Should we all take before and after pictures?

Valdeon
November 10th, 2010, 03:13 AM
I think I am. Not sure though. It seems like a smart thing to do, but if by the end of 2010 my hair still has no split ends, I might have pity on my hair and just do some dusting instead.

SilvraShadows

For me dusting is just like S&D but also using twist&cut technique through out the hair, hemline remains untouched though.

Barniie
November 10th, 2010, 04:02 AM
Well so I ALWAYS read these threads but never join, and i've been wanting some serious length, and am hoping for some major length and to hit my goal december 2011 (waist) So i'm in! I think I will have a micro trim/dust at june just to even up my layers. Woo!

Krentje
November 10th, 2010, 04:21 AM

Me! But as i am currently stretching that 'last trim before 1year-no-trim' out (from May 2010 on), i hope to even make it to January and than join in. (if my hair suddenly decides to become wonder hair, i might make a year from May to May! But that pixie shag is still kind of there..).

So how much length will your last trim be/was your last trim?

curlycrown
November 10th, 2010, 07:10 AM
I havent decided if Im going to do an end-of-the-year trim. I will have to see what my hair looks like in December.

Valdeon
November 11th, 2010, 03:13 AM

(will be) Up to half an inch I guess. Last party before a strict diet :hooched:

*Seraphina*
November 11th, 2010, 01:28 PM
@Lize, I did my last trim for this year. I think it is a good idea because one year of no trimming is a long time.

Avrilon
November 11th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I am wondering what sort of hemline I will have a year from now? Should we all take before and after pictures?

I am wondering the same thing! :ponder:

And yes, I'm going to take a "before" picture next month and post it here. Otherwise, I will probably be pretty bad at recording whatever progress I make. :rolleyes:

Aria
November 11th, 2010, 04:22 PM
I grew up with the understanding that trimming versus cutting meant "I'm going to take three or four inches off rather than eight," so this isn't much of a challenge for me, but I'll keep you guys company? I cut earlier this year, but I'm intending to stay off both cuts and trims for the rest of this year and the next. On the other hand, this dry, dry place makes my hair angry, so I may end up trimming once after I leave.

xojennyxo
November 11th, 2010, 08:58 PM
i'm just curious..wouldn't S&D'ing and never trimming for a year, cause your hair to become un-even?

I prefer to trim, it always seems to make my hair grow twice as fast...
but goodluck on your growing journey

lilravendark
November 12th, 2010, 12:18 AM
Definately in for this, already lasted this year with no trims so why not another one.

Roscata
November 12th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I want to join this challenge. Although I made my decision over a month ago, I didn't want to put it in writing here until I was sure. I am sure now. I will not trim my hair in 2011. This is going to be tough, but in the last year I only got 3 trims and each time it was 1 cm or less so it shouldn't be too hard. *big sigh*

Lize
November 12th, 2010, 03:49 AM
Valdeon... I'm not sure if dustings count. Everyone has different definitions as to what a dusting is. For me it's a micro-trim, just a teeny bit off the hemline, so it counts as a trim... for me. And if I take my scissors out of hiding, I'm a gonner. So this challenge for me means no scissors. Just for 2011. I can do it. I. think.

But let's ask Lize...

Lize... Do dustings count?

Well, I am not sure. I am not even sure how to define "dusting". If it is a microtrim it does count as a trim to me. But everyone can decide for themselves I guess. I am doing only S&D next year. No trimming at all besides that.

Me! But as i am currently stretching that 'last trim before 1year-no-trim' out (from May 2010 on), i hope to even make it to January and than join in. (if my hair suddenly decides to become wonder hair, i might make a year from May to May! But that pixie shag is still kind of there..).

I think if my hair looks good still in the end of this year I will do less than a 1/2 trim. If it needs more maybe 1/2 an inch. However I don't think I will trim more than that, since to me the point of this challenge is to gain length.

I am wondering the same thing! :ponder:

And yes, I'm going to take a "before" picture next month and post it here. Otherwise, I will probably be pretty bad at recording whatever progress I make. :rolleyes:

About before and after pictures I will sure wanna take some of those! I am planning to take a few pictures during the year too to see my progress. Mostly I am curios about how much length I will gain with no trims at all. :) It would be fun if people posted some pics in this thread me thinks...

i'm just curious..wouldn't S&D'ing and never trimming for a year, cause your hair to become un-even?

I prefer to trim, it always seems to make my hair grow twice as fast...
but goodluck on your growing journey

Yes, it will probably become uneven. As I see it that's one of the things that is going to make this challenging. I am not planning to do very much S&D, but of course I will do some if needed.

mustpannkook
November 12th, 2010, 06:17 AM
I think I'm in too! I really hate my layers...

SilvraShadows
November 12th, 2010, 12:29 PM
:) It would be fun if people posted some pics in this thread me thinks...

Me thinks too!! :bluesmile I just hope I don't offend anyone with my already see-through length... I can't imagine what it will look like in a year. I think I already said that!

But, I do plan to trim it back just a little after the challenge with hopes of betterment!

Embrace1913
November 12th, 2010, 12:56 PM
I'm in! I've already gone 13 months so far without a trim & I'm definitely excited for another 12 months! I went from shoulder length to just grazing waist length!

autumnchild
November 12th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Embrace1913- How long did that take you to grow from shoulder to waist? Did you trim during that time?

akuamoonmaui
November 12th, 2010, 05:27 PM
http://http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=59415&highlight=trimming

So I was wondering what the "rules" were for no trimming as well and created a poll, the link is above. It seems S&D is OK, but dusting is quite questionable.

lhangel9
November 12th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I'm in! The last time that I cut my hair was in Feb. 2010. I'm taking the long haul and NOT going to cut (nor trim / nor S&D) for an entire year. I'm going to see what happens. IMO cutting it only makes it shorter although even and supposedly avoids the ends splitting all the way up.......Well, I'm going to see cause I'm not going to let scissors come near my hair for a whole year - no way;)

No trims in 2011 challenge!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Linnykinz
November 13th, 2010, 03:03 PM
I'm in too! My journey was really kicked off when I trimmed my hair myself, and it ended horribly. So I promised no trims or anything for a year, which would be April. But yesterday I cut my bangs, oh god WHY did I do that? Now I need to get the nasty layers from the first self hair mutilation fixed, and the gross bangs, by the end of the year. Then I will have no trims and no cuts until Jan. 2012!

Oh boy, hearing that now...

jaine
November 14th, 2010, 07:24 PM
If I do this challenge I'll need to find a way to make it look presentable for an office holiday party in December. Funny that's my biggest concern!

MissCoco
November 14th, 2010, 07:39 PM
You know what's weird? I made a little challenge to myself to go without trims in 2011 about a month ago and then this kind of thread pops up! How cool, now I won't be alone! :D

Lize
November 15th, 2010, 02:51 PM
If I do this challenge I'll need to find a way to make it look presentable for an office holiday party in December. Funny that's my biggest concern!

If you mean December 2011 you could probably wear it in an updo, as it will be really long by then... having not been trimmed for a year. ;)

nemileo
November 15th, 2010, 02:59 PM
I am trying to go for no trimming for a year, and that will be May 2011 for me. But hopefully my hair does not look horrible at that time, so maybe I can go all 2011 without scissors?

I do adore fairytail ends though, but it would be sad if the damage starts traveling upwards:p

jaine
November 15th, 2010, 03:06 PM
If you mean December 2011 you could probably wear it in an updo, as it will be really long by then... having not been trimmed for a year. ;)

I am already wearing it up every day for work and was hoping to wear it down for the holiday party and shock all of my coworkers with how long it is! :) (Last time they saw it down it wasn't shoulder length yet.) But ... it won't be the end of the world if I have shape issues or hemline unevenness and need to wear it up because of that. Could always break out the hair the following year.

I predict that my hair in its downward state will be a massive puff log by December 2011.

Piewee
November 15th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Well I can't join you guys, because for me it would become to long in a year, but I support everyone for joining! Good luck!

Hotrox
November 15th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I'm thinking about this, hmmmm!

I've already gone for 5 months without a trim, which for me seems like a miracle and the desire to cut has actually passed - for the time being.

I was considering a trim in December and then I guess I could try and aim for 1 year..... I'll come back if I decide to join in :D

Good luck to you all

lhangel9
November 15th, 2010, 08:38 PM
Current pic of my hair length as of 11-15-10.

utdesertrunner
November 15th, 2010, 08:39 PM
I'm in too! I am in a very awkward stage growing out an a-line chin length cut, but now I can put it in a tiny pony tail. So, I think I can pull it up to get me thru the awkwardness. This would be a great goal for me!

fishcube
November 15th, 2010, 08:48 PM
What about cutting off split ends? Doesn't this help hair grow and keep it healthy?

Lize
November 15th, 2010, 09:28 PM
What about cutting off split ends? Doesn't this help hair grow and keep it healthy?

Well that's why I plan to S&D if I need to during the year. I usually don't have a LOT of splits, and the ones I get will be taken care of when I S&D.

remidosi
November 16th, 2010, 08:11 PM
Count me in too! I think I'll do what many of you are doing and get one last trim at the end of December (have to even out a rather ragged cut) and then it'll be search and destroy for 2011. It'll be tough - I spend a lot of time outside in the elements and my hair tends to get pretty gnarly after nine months or so - but it'll be a good time to learn some updos and learn how to wear head scarves. Think I'll start looking into my first real hair toys as well! :cool:

StraduX
November 16th, 2010, 08:51 PM
Sounds like a solid resolution to me, I'm 15 months into growing my hair and I'm long overdue for a trim (last cut was with a razor :mad:), but getting one before next year would bring me right back on track. I'm just scared to death of salons and barbers because of my last cut and at this point I feel more comfortable trimming my own hair than letting anyone else get near it with a sharp object.

remidosi
November 16th, 2010, 10:14 PM
Sounds like a solid resolution to me, I'm 15 months into growing my hair and I'm long overdue for a trim (last cut was with a razor :mad:), but getting one before next year would bring me right back on track. I'm just scared to death of salons and barbers because of my last cut and at this point I feel more comfortable trimming my own hair than letting anyone else get near it with a sharp object.

Grrr, I feel your pain! I can't seem to find a stylist capable of maintaining layers properly, so I gave up and went for a one-length cut. This was the most recent exchange, six months ago:

Me: "I have a lot of ratty looking layers I'd like to get rid of, and the back section is really thinned out. Could you please trim off all the layers to make it one length and then half an inch or so off of the top layer to neaten things up?"
Expensive Stylist: *snip snip snip snip snip snip snip*... "Unless you want to have flat hair on the top of your head and a poof at the bottom, you might want me to shape it just a little."
Me: "Just the last half inch or so, so it tapers a bit. I really don't want layers right now; I'm trying to grow it out."
Stylist: *grabs RAZOR and rips through my hair, making thin wispy layers that start at my jawline and go to midback*
Me: *dumbstruck horror*
Stylist: *grabs straightening iron*
Me: *deepening dumbstruck horror*

I had skank-hair for the next six months until those short layers grew to my shoulders and I could get them chopped off by a cheap barber. Sadly, this exchange or some similar version of it has been my salon experience for the last four years. :mad: Never again!

bte
November 16th, 2010, 11:11 PM
...Last party before a strict diet :hooched:

Why not regard it as the last day of dieting before a year of partying?

bigred199
November 17th, 2010, 10:22 AM
I'm in! I grew my hair out from pixie length ten years ago but never could seem to get past APL. Probably because I was going in for trims every three months and they were taking an inch or two off every time. Now I'm committed to not getting my hair cut for a good long while! I had an inch taken off about four months ago because of damage, but I'm in for this whole year thing. I've never tried it before but I'm excited to see what length I gain!

Nobody
November 17th, 2010, 10:28 AM
I hope to join this challenge! I'm a little late to discover this forum though, so I may end up changing how I wash my hair and if that causes splits... :eek:

Valdeon
November 17th, 2010, 12:35 PM
Why not regard it as the last day of dieting before a year of partying?

Well, it is going to be quite nerve-racking for me since the last time i didn't cut my hair for such a long time it didn't grow at all (I mean the length). But I didn't take care of my hair whatsoever back then....

So I hope this time it will be different, but cannot help but worry. So no party for me.

mrs_coffee
November 17th, 2010, 01:08 PM
I trimmed my final trim of 2010 a couple of days ago. Actually it was more like 2 inches, but now my length is the same at the sides and the back. I debated about trimming the back, but I couldn't take the mullet look anymore.

firefly42
November 17th, 2010, 01:33 PM
I'm in! i tend to get scissor happy so am gonna get the husband to hid them from me but i'm excited to see how much it grows in a year! it's been ages since i've seen that.

rhosyn_du
November 17th, 2010, 05:59 PM
I'm in. I'm going to do one last trim in December (that's when I would have trimmed on my normal schedule, anyway), and then no more trims for a year!

mrs carol
November 17th, 2010, 06:34 PM
I'm in too. I am looking forward to a year with no trims. I wear my hair up in a bun or a clamp most days so the ends won't matter.

just_ace
November 17th, 2010, 07:03 PM
I'm in :)

I am also growing out highlights and layers and my hair has never really been longer than APL all my life and I just put it down to my hair growing slowly or that my hair would never be long and that's that.

Since growing out dye I have been able to keep track of the speed of growth and it grows at an average of .5 an inch a month so it's got to be the damage (and constant triming because I thought I needed to!) that was preventing it from getting long. I am curious to see how long I can get it if I leave it the hell alone for a change!

Lize
November 19th, 2010, 03:20 PM
I'm in. I'm going to do one last trim in December (that's when I would have trimmed on my normal schedule, anyway), and then no more trims for a year!

I am also doing my last trim in December. I have not decided yet how close to the New Year though. Maybe I should do it before christmas to look nice during those days, or maybe hold out until the days after christmas. It has to be before New Years Eve at least.

I see that some of you have already had your last trims and some of you aren't trimming at all. To the ones who have not yet had their last trim and are going to do one: When are you planning to trim? :)

jaine
November 19th, 2010, 04:20 PM
I had my final trim a couple of weeks ago... I trimmed 1/2" off the bangs and surrounding layers. It was the last in a series of shape adjustments to give it the shape I want - I like the bangs to be the shortest part of my hair and the bangs blend into the surrounding layers. I feel like my hair has a good shape that I can leave alone for the next year.

Avital88
November 19th, 2010, 04:27 PM
I wish i could join, but my resolution of not trimming for a whole year will end in may 2011!So i'm halfway allready.
Not sure if i'm gonna make it till may though,i decided to only trim once in 2011 (the same as 2010)
Finally gaining lenght that way.,when i was 15 i didnt had a trim for 9 months and my hair was sooo long back then.So trying to set a new record.haha
All good luck with growing!!
xx

BeachBabe91
November 19th, 2010, 04:45 PM
I'm with you! No trims for a whole year!
My last trim was in August, so by August 2011 it will be a whole year without any trims if I keep it up. I just want as much length as possible.

Shicurls
November 19th, 2010, 04:49 PM
Man, a challenge! The daredevil in me is coming out:twisted:! Hmmm, S&D's might help me get past me desire to "change" myself every few months. I know that cutting my hair has more to do with self-disatisfaction than with anything else.

BUT, I did have about a quarter to half an inch of damage that needed to be gone. That was a couple of weeks ago, and my Mom does the trimming. She wants my hair long again, too. This challenge may help.

Okay, I'm in! I think....:couch:

Lize
November 21st, 2010, 04:33 PM
Man, a challenge! The daredevil in me is coming out:twisted:! Hmmm, S&D's might help me get past me desire to "change" myself every few months. I know that cutting my hair has more to do with self-disatisfaction than with anything else.

That is so true. And for me I don't think it's even all about apperance really. It's just about trying to change something in my life or something. To think what I could have accomplished with my hair since I found LHC in 2006 if I had not given in to these urges to change. By doing this challenge I wanna prove to myself that I CAN leave my hair alone for a longer time.

just_ace
November 21st, 2010, 05:09 PM
To the ones who have not yet had their last trim and are going to do one: When are you planning to trim? :)

I think I will have one last trim in December, maybe neaten things up a little before Christmas and get rid of any last urges for a trim.

dreamsofthewind
November 21st, 2010, 07:16 PM
I can't remember if I've posted in this thread yet, because I remember telling myself that I had to think about it first, so if I've already posted, I'm sorry for saying the same thing twice. :P
After really thinking about it, I have decided that I will do my best to not trim in 2011.
It's a really hard decision for me to make, because I have a lot of things to take into consideration; I'm quite rough on my hair as it is, and I'm going to be dying my hair (and quite possibly bleaching it) starting next summer.
I will have my last trim in the next few weeks, then hopefully no more until 2012!

sally_neuf
November 21st, 2010, 07:26 PM
Oh, so a thread? haven't trimmed since 2008 I guess I can join this year too!!

MadisonMelrose
November 21st, 2010, 09:42 PM
I was supposed to have a trim last Monday, but ended up with an inch off the length and tons of layers (grrrrrr)! I also had a dye job from hell that same day. The plan is to leave my hair alone, no trims or coloring, for one year. Very happy I found this site!!

Gilly
November 21st, 2010, 11:55 PM
OK, I am joining this thread, I am determined to get some length on at last!:cheese:

yvsa
November 22nd, 2010, 06:01 AM
I will join. I had my last trim last friday. Thought it would make my akward stage less akward. It did not:p. I will have to leave my hair alone if I ever want to have long hair. So no trims for me in 2011 (except for my bangs). Also no s&d because my hair is to short for that. I hope 2011 will be the year that I finally leave "pixieland".:cheese:

*Seraphina*
November 23rd, 2010, 01:09 PM
Oh, so a thread? haven't trimmed since 2008 I guess I can join this year too!!

Wow that is a long time. Have you did S&D? And how does your hair looks? Is it damaged or something. I'm just curious :)

joiekimochi
November 23rd, 2010, 11:36 PM
I'll join in too! I'll do a trim on my longest strands in December and then leave it alone until the end of next year, where hopefully I would've reached my first goal length of 35". In fact I've got my 3-year hair plan all worked out!

2011 - No trims until Dec where I will most likely be 35" to 37" depending on my very variable growth speed.

2012 - Monthly trimming to keep my hair at TBL and to straighten out my V-hemline and grow out the layers.

2013 - No trims for the whole year until fingertip length!

juliaxena
November 24th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Wow. I could never do that. I'm trying hard to get through 4 months without a trim as it is.

Nephele
November 24th, 2010, 02:05 AM
I had already planned to do this and started half way through 2010 (haven't had a chop in ages) but will continue to not trim throughout 2011!

It is going to be sooo difficult to resist as my hair gets longer and rattier-looking, but I'm going to stick with it.

Shicurls
November 24th, 2010, 01:23 PM
I'm in. It's going to be difficult, and I've been on this site since 2007, but it's about time I made it at least to BSL again! I have been babying my hair and trying to figure out how to where protective styles at such a short length, since finding this thread!

Oilings, Hollywood shampoos, CO-washing, S &D's, and deep treatments are going to become my routines!

Good luck everyone!!

looniac
November 24th, 2010, 03:33 PM
Ok, I'm in! I haven't trimmed since last spring, and since my hair is just brushing my shoulders, I want all the growth I can get!

mrs_coffee
November 24th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I am going to need to fight the urge to trim. I'm thinking about asking my girls to hide the scissors. I'm a compulsive trimmer.

Quahatundightu
November 25th, 2010, 06:53 AM
No trimming really worked for me in 2010, I just did a trim a few days ago and overall I'm really happy with my progress this year! I may do one more trim in Dec to thicken up my ends and let it grow for as long as possible in 2011 :)

Lize
November 26th, 2010, 03:09 AM
No trimming really worked for me in 2010, I just did a trim a few days ago and overall I'm really happy with my progress this year! I may do one more trim in Dec to thicken up my ends and let it grow for as long as possible in 2011 :)

Cool! I am also thinking about getting a smaller trim in the beginning of 2012 and then maybe try to stick it out for as long as I can again.

My long term plan is to try to get to waist as fast as possible and then maintain at waist which I have realized is going to look really long on me. Then if I feel I can handle longer hair I might continue on to TB when it's one length and healthier. The thing is I do martial arts almost every day and I have no idea if I will be able to handle hair longer than waist. But I guess I will see how much shorter my braid will be than the length down. Plus I wanna see how much taper I will have at the longer lengths. I don't have to decide this now of course, but I wanna get to waist as fast as possible and then maintain there for a while. :)

jaine
November 26th, 2010, 07:46 AM
Is anyone planning to do something else for your hair during the challenge, to prevent damage or help it grow faster?

curlylocks85
November 26th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I'm with you. I have gone a year already and I hope I can go another. I have done s&d's and I did a little dusting to get some crummy ends off, but no trimming or cutting to speak of this past year. This should be fun. See eveyone in January!

embee
November 26th, 2010, 03:53 PM
No trims planned here. My last one was the afternoon before I found LHC. :)

MadisonMelrose
November 26th, 2010, 04:43 PM
Is anyone planning to do something else for your hair during the challenge, to prevent damage or help it grow faster?

I started using castor oil, jojoba oil, and MN for growth. I also take a whole food hair skin and nail vitamin and 10000 mcg of biotin daily.

SpeakingEZ
November 26th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I'm in. I just did a chop today to rid my hair of the last of the medium damage (heavy damage got taken off ~6 months ago, and I still have mild damage to grow out). I actually have about .5" inch of med-damage in the front, but taking that off would make the hemline very uneven and I got it so perfect!

I digress. I'm in. I should be at 26" by this coming New Year. No trims (except S+D) would mean WL by 2012!!

Lize
November 28th, 2010, 04:38 AM

I think I will try to wear it up as much as possible during the year to protect it. But then again my hair is just getting to the length where it starts to look good down (past APL) so it might be hard.

I am not doing anything special to make it grow faster. I have not found anything that works for me. Not cutting is probably the one thing that would be the most effective for me. :lol:

jaine
November 28th, 2010, 05:18 AM
I think I need to wear mine up too; I just finished 3 days of wearing it down and it just made me want to get a haircut. It's cowlicky and tangled...

Shicurls
November 28th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I'm at that stage where I NEED to find a way to put it up into protective styles. It's hard to keep it from rubbing together and snarling around nape and shoulder! I may have to do one more trim before January.

jaine
November 28th, 2010, 06:07 PM
I'm at that stage where I NEED to find a way to put it up into protective styles. It's hard to keep it from rubbing together and snarling around nape and shoulder! I may have to do one more trim before January.

I am in the exact same stage! Nape tangles like crazy every time i wear it down. a wool coat is definitely not helping...

Lize
November 28th, 2010, 09:31 PM
I am in the exact same stage! Nape tangles like crazy every time i wear it down. a wool coat is definitely not helping...

The winter weather (not only the wooly clothes..) makes my hair feel and look very bad in general. Less frizz though, but flat and staticky and it gets greasy fast. So I guess the best solution is to keep it up. I am thinking that the last few months of this challenge will be really challenging. This time next year with the same weather and not having cut the hair for a long time it's not going to look very nice on me.

I have a feeling I will come here and whine a lot. ;)

jaine
November 29th, 2010, 10:27 AM
Yeah ... December 2011 is not going to be pretty. I'm already planning my January 2012 haircut with much anticipation :D

Does anyone know of something I could put it my hair to make it less "slippery" for an updo? That would be extremely helpful if I'm going to be wearing it up so much ... the day I wash it is easy because I put it up while it's still wet, but the next day is very difficult to get it to stay up. It's too slippery. I guess I could get it wet again but it's so cold out...

jaine
December 4th, 2010, 11:21 AM
I think I'll do the no-trim thing until December 4th, 2010. That day is the 2-year anniversary since my pixie cut. (Today is my 1-year anniversary. :) ) Something tells me I'll want to get it shaped up so I can wear it down for the holidays. But who knows...I might be able to go all year.

PraiseCheeses
December 4th, 2010, 11:38 AM
I think I'll join you all. Maybe one last trim at the end of the month to neaten things up, but then for the next year any time I feel like going to a stylist, I'll take the money I would have spent and buy hairtoys instead. I'm almost to APL; maybe I can be BSL on my way to waist by this time next year! :D

pennyroyal
December 4th, 2010, 11:45 AM
I am in, happily. I haven't cut/trimmed my hair for a little over 9 months now (since my DH gave me my pixie cut) & i want to grow my hair out to at least waist before even trimming it. I would love to grow it all the way to knee without a trim but that is asking a lot! haha.
So i am totally in on this no trims for a year thing! I just wear my hair in a little bun thing everyday & as it gets longer i will find better ways to keep it up & outta my sight till i like it. :p

Shell
December 4th, 2010, 07:57 PM
I may join this challenge. I'm currently at BSL with a few layers and I'm curious to know how much it grows in a year, so what better way to find out than to grow without trims for a whole year? I usually cut every 6-8 months to keep my ends nice, but maybe I can go for a whole year without? I will do a trim in late December, and maybe post a pic here for comparison in Dec. 2011.

Great idea!

hermosamendoza
December 4th, 2010, 09:15 PM
I'm in. it will annoy the heck out of my hair stylist sister. But when I first got married I stopped cutting my hair and coloring it and within two years it went from my 18 in to 36 in. part of it was from prenatals from being pregnant.
10 months later i am still shedding so i cut off all my hair. after a bad dye job that made my hair black and too much shedding.

anyway long story short it is in an angled bob with bangs. its a real nice haircut but i miss the length. i was just wondering about this today. so glad i found this post. and reconnected with longhair community.

again long story short i'm in :P

miss_purple
December 5th, 2010, 01:44 AM
I'm curious to know how much it grows in a year so, I'm in too. I wanna reach waist or at least mid-back. :)

mali
December 5th, 2010, 05:02 AM
I might join this.Great ideea!

LissaJane
December 5th, 2010, 06:29 AM
I'm down! I trim my hair very rarely anyways, but just because I'm lazy, I think it'll be interesting to conciously avoid something like that.

bellawave
December 5th, 2010, 06:53 AM
I'm in! :D Had a trim earlier this year (after 2 years of growth) to even my ends up a bit, and have no plans for another one for at least 2 more years!

dropinthebucket
December 5th, 2010, 10:18 AM
I'll be a year in Feb. - doing a microtrim for the Full Moon in Leo challenge! - and then no cutting again 'til the next Full Moon in Leo. If I can join with the microtrim in Feb., I'm in! :D Really like fairytale ends and am hoping to get some.

LunarAurora
December 5th, 2010, 10:32 AM
I'll try to be in, too !
My last trim was on the 1st of May 2010, so why not ! On May I said I would not trim before 90cm, now I'm 91 and I haven't trimmed so I can wait one year more :)

Quahatundightu
December 5th, 2010, 11:05 AM
I'm in! I did a trim two days ago so I'm back to 83cm, the same length I had in 2009... hoping that I will see lots of growth in 2011 now that I have slightly thicker ends to start with!

May
December 5th, 2010, 11:06 AM
I'm in as well. I'm currently above shoulder and I'd like to be BSL by next year so here goes! Hoping for at least 6" of growth before next Christmas :D

Ravenwaves 88
December 5th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I haven't trimmed since February 2010, I've almost made it a year and I'm ready for another! WOohoo Tailbone here I come!!!!:cheese:

Lize
December 6th, 2010, 04:12 AM
Hi guys! Welcome to all who joined this challenge! It's awesome that so many have joined. :)

Only two weeks or so until my last trim before the start of the challenge. I will really need this trim, but I have not yet decided how much I will take. It feels like it's finally getting a bit longer so I don't wanna cut too much.

I really have to start wearing it in more protective styles. The winter dryness and cold makes my hair a mess. :(

freckles
December 6th, 2010, 05:56 AM
I'm actually fairly tempted to join this ... I was going to 'trim towards hip' and do lots of trims this coming year, but I've been thinking more about how I might reach tb (my ultimate goal) next year if I were not to trim at all, and then I could just maintain there ... and I'm really tempted!

*Seraphina*
December 7th, 2010, 08:03 AM
I just got a big chop last week. I let the hairstylist cut off my layers. I was tired of them so now I'm back at sholder length. From now no cutting in 2011. I have a fresh start :)

Gilly
December 7th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I have already joined this but I am now wondering if its ok to trim my fringe occasionally?????:o
I like it and I am trying to get the length to waist (long term) eventually but I am fine with having a fringe, I just can't see where I'm going after a while!

Lize
December 7th, 2010, 02:29 PM
I have already joined this but I am now wondering if its ok to trim my fringe occasionally?????:o
I like it and I am trying to get the length to waist (long term) eventually but I am fine with having a fringe, I just can't see where I'm going after a while!

If you wanna keep a fringe I don't see any point in not trimming it. ;)

For me the challenge is not trimming any of my hair cause I wanna grow it all out, but if you wanna keep your fringe of course you can trim it. I guess your challenge will be to not trim the parts of the hair you wish to grow out. :)

hela
December 7th, 2010, 03:35 PM
<<<Count me in!

I'm looking forward to seeing how much my hair grows in a year.

salls
December 8th, 2010, 05:50 AM
I had my last cut a couple of weeks ago, I shall see whether I can go a whole year.

ravenlily
December 8th, 2010, 07:21 AM
I´m definitely in! I´growing out hopeless layers from an old pixie-cut but I would love to finally gain some length! Now I just have to hide my scissors somewhere safe...

Roscata
December 8th, 2010, 01:21 PM
I´m definitely in! I´growing out hopeless layers from an old pixie-cut but I would love to finally gain some length! Now I just have to hide my scissors somewhere safe...

I'm right there with you! I wish us both good luck and lots of patience. :D

TwilightBloom
December 8th, 2010, 02:41 PM
I'm in, i haven't trimmed since september, so i will give it a try, i am also trying to keep my hair up and protect it from the cold weather, but that is easier said than done. I deliver the mail, so the cold air just whips all around my hair. I feel funny wearing a scarf, maybe it just takes time to get used to them..:couch::whip:

WhisperingMoon
December 8th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Im in as well! I haven't trimmed for several months now, so I would like to possibly dust before the near year, but of course my ends don't need it and I know if I get a trim, the hairdresser will just chop it off anyways! I am hoping to hit my waist in the next year! Let's do it! Now I have an excuse to try out new updo styles.

mkmulwee
December 8th, 2010, 02:58 PM
I'm definitely on board!! I havent trimmed since last august so I think i can make it.

Lize
December 8th, 2010, 03:24 PM
I'm in, i haven't trimmed since september, so i will give it a try, i am also trying to keep my hair up and protect it from the cold weather, but that is easier said than done. I deliver the mail, so the cold air just whips all around my hair. I feel funny wearing a scarf, maybe it just takes time to get used to them..:couch::whip:

I had that same problem. I was a postman (woman) when I joined LHC. I also felt funny wearing a scarf. Sometimes I did and sometimes I didn't. I don't have any solution for you, but wearing it up is good I think. :)

CarpeDM
December 9th, 2010, 07:24 AM
With careful consideration this trimaholic is going to try not to trim next year. I just got a trim yesterday so I am going to try and give it a shot. But I will definitely need a lot of support, especially in about four months when I start twitching because my ends haven't been cut.

Avital88
December 9th, 2010, 07:28 AM
I'm thinking about getting a trim end of this month and 2011 i will reach hip! hopefully without any trims i will make it to tb!!

monsterna
December 9th, 2010, 08:13 AM
I haven't trimmed since Nov/Dec of 2009, save for my bangs every so often. I've been trying to grow my hair out long now since then when the bottom of it reached the top of my neck, a bit below ear level. Not trimming for another year will be no problem for me.

lillylonghair
December 9th, 2010, 08:26 AM
I'm in!!!! In October I had my almost bsl hair wacked 2 inches up ( much needed though so no regrets). I think I can safely say that I can do this.

I don't get splits so s&d won't really be an issue. If I get antsy with my hair I'll try a new hair product or treat myself to a stick.

lillylonghair
December 9th, 2010, 08:27 AM
I'm thinking about getting a trim end of this month and 2011 i will reach hip! hopefully without any trims i will make it to tb!!

That sounds awesome!!! I would at least hope I could make it waist by next year.

rhosyn_du
December 9th, 2010, 12:21 PM
So, fellow soon-to-be-non-trimmers, how are you all planning to protect your ends during our year of no trimming?

I generally keep my hair in updos that have the ends tucked in during the day, but I braid at night, which doesn't really keep my ends protected at all. I usually shy away from sleep caps because leave my fringe super-flat and lanky, but I was thinking maybe I can find or make mini satin pocket to go around the end of my sleep braid.

Have any of the rest of you been thinking about how you might want to change your routine to keep your ends better protected?

Roscata
December 9th, 2010, 01:01 PM
So, fellow soon-to-be-non-trimmers, how are you all planning to protect your ends during our year of no trimming?

I generally keep my hair in updos that have the ends tucked in during the day, but I braid at night, which doesn't really keep my ends protected at all. I usually shy away from sleep caps because leave my fringe super-flat and lanky, but I was thinking maybe I can find or make mini satin pocket to go around the end of my sleep braid.

Have any of the rest of you been thinking about how you might want to change your routine to keep your ends better protected?

I've already stopped trimming. I don't plan on having another trim for a long time.

For night protection I sleep on a stain pillow case because I love to sleep with my hair down.

Also I implemented other ways to treat my hair gentler: overnight pre-wash oiling, cold water hair wash, not pilling hair on top of head while washing, finger combing, wide seamless bone comb, no brushes, rapping hair in towel (not rubbing), air drying, no heat on my hair at all, no cones and no SLS.

Also henna: "Henna dye blocks UV so your hair doesn’t become sun damaged, strengthens your hair so it won’t get split ends, makes your hair glossy and shiny" (Copyright © 2006 Catherine Cartwright-Jones All rights reserved Tapdancing Lizard LLC).

I'm not very inventive I just do what others have already done in the past haha, so I'm curios to see what others have come up with.

erika_d
December 9th, 2010, 01:58 PM
Oo oo! I wanna try! :bounce:

My hair is generally really strong and rarely (if ever) splits so I don't really need to trim very often, I just like to.

Here goes! :D

Lize
December 9th, 2010, 02:29 PM
With careful consideration this trimaholic is going to try not to trim next year. I just got a trim yesterday so I am going to try and give it a shot. But I will definitely need a lot of support, especially in about four months when I start twitching because my ends haven't been cut.

Fellow trimaholic here. I have strong urges to trim right now and it has only been TWO months since I last trimmed. I plan to have one last trim right before the challenge at christmas and I can't wait to get to do it! Not good, but maybe it's because I know I will be allowed to trim in such a short while. One year will be a big, big, big challenge for me. Starting this thread was a good idea though, 'cause now I'll feel obliged to do the whole challenge because I started the thread... I won't fail you guys!! :D

My most common style is to wear my hair in a ponytail. I should probably wear more protective updos than I do now. Otherwise I am fairly happy with my routine.

jaine
December 9th, 2010, 03:02 PM

I am wearing mine up often, with no heat styling and no coloring ... I think that should be enough for me.

Anisaa
December 9th, 2010, 07:47 PM
I guess I WILL join. The last trim I received was on October 2009!!!!! That is 14 months ago.. I have been so tempted to cut my hair so, so very tempted but I just cant get myself to do it. I am so close to my goal and I am thinking of holding on another year with NO TRIMS just S&D.. GOOD LUCK to EVERYONE who is in this club and hopefully we will reach our hair goal!! <3

curlycrown
December 9th, 2010, 08:19 PM
I ended up getting my hair straightened and getting a trim. I lost about an inch, max. My plan to retain length and to stop dryness is to baggy my buns so that my hair doesnt get dry at the ends. I think that this will help fight off splits and dryness which are the main reasons I trim.

Baggy method:
-place hair in a bun while damp.
-place a clean sandwich bag over bun and secure so that bun will stay moisturized while the rest of the hair is drying.

I plan to wear a weave ponytail over the baggy to hide it. Some just tie a scarf around it.

owlathena
December 9th, 2010, 09:20 PM
I want in! I don't know if I can make it though...I already promised myself I wouldn't trim for a year, back in May. I might not be able to go a whole year and a half. I'm only on month 7 and I'm having thoughts of even-ing out my hemline.

Cholera
December 9th, 2010, 11:50 PM
Count me in! My $2 hair shears I got off eBay warped, and I threw them away today. I'm hoping for a good 6 or 7" this year. :)

xladolcevitax
December 10th, 2010, 01:53 AM
I am going to join too!

I havent trimmed since April 2010 and was planning on going until April 2011 then trimming a bit, but I really want to reach my goal of hip as fast as I can and then trim once I get there.

I have been doing s&d every now and then so will continue with that, although I find it tiring and frustrating becuase I always find SO many splits :/ (my ends are pretty damaged from highlights)

I hope I can reach hip by the end of 2011 so much! :cheese:

Gilly
December 10th, 2010, 03:46 AM
If you wanna keep a fringe I don't see any point in not trimming it. ;)

For me the challenge is not trimming any of my hair cause I wanna grow it all out, but if you wanna keep your fringe of course you can trim it. I guess your challenge will be to not trim the parts of the hair you wish to grow out. :)

That's a relief!
I will NOT be cutting the rest of my hair but I like my fringe, it gives me something to hide under:)

mellie89
December 10th, 2010, 08:15 AM
I was thinking maybe I can find or make mini satin pocket to go around the end of my sleep braid.

What a cool idea! It would be really simple to make a little satin pouch. I might steal that idea, because I think my ends get damaged from tying my braids off so tightly. (That's the only way they'll stay in, unfortunately.) So I could tuck the ends in and tie off over the pouch. Maybe. I don't know if that would actually work. :p

lillylonghair
December 10th, 2010, 08:36 AM

I think I might find another sleep 'do. I always do a french braid but I don't want elastic damage.

lillylonghair
December 10th, 2010, 08:39 AM
I took me a day or two but now I am really excited about this!

I know I won't have too much temptation to cut since the only person I trust with my hair is in New Jersey. ;)

Embrace1913
December 10th, 2010, 08:56 AM
I'm in! I haven't had a cut or trim since 10/10/09. So far I haven't had any issues so I'm just gonna continue without a trim for as long as possible!:cheese:

cantom03
December 10th, 2010, 02:10 PM
I'm in! My last "trim" in October was a mess. I went in with no layers save for bangs and came out very sad.:( I'm new here and have been very thankful for the great advice. I plan to start using feye's method to trim my own hair after the challenge. BSL here I come!:)

silverjen
December 10th, 2010, 04:01 PM
I keep coming back to this thread. Part of me is going "ooo, yes, what a great idea, your hair will get so long." And then the fearful part of me says "but what if I get all raggedy looking?"

On the third hand, progress isn't made by being fearful. Faint heart never won fair maiden, or something like that. OK, OK, I'm in! Now that I've said it publically, I'll feel obligated to do it, too.

Edited to say: it's my 100th post, so I really DO have to do it!

peronella
December 10th, 2010, 05:22 PM
Yay! I'm IN! I just lost 2 inches (in the front ) to a trim in September to even out a grown out a-line bob, so now I'm all even and ready to commit to no trimming in 2011.

At the end of 2010 I'll probably have a trim becuase I'm growing out damage and funky layers in the front from when I used to cut my own hair. With dull scissors. Because I was sooo cool. :P

luluj
December 10th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I'm joining this challenge! My long hair journey has been a bit bumpy lately, I need to refocus and follow my heart. Thanks for this thread, I found it at just the right time!

ooo
December 10th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I'm in too. Over all I don't S&D. My hair is too short to be damaged.

KLin
December 10th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I have spent the last year doing S&D and dusting to light regular trims to even out bad layers. Was planning on doing one more good trim to fix hemline and would love to focus next year on growth.

Just told my DH about my plan to let it grow. He is supportive.

Working on hair health in 2011. I too am in karate and need ideas for a way to keep hair safely out of the way with out elastics... any help would be appreciated.

I CO, AVC and use oil on ends and length. I have rosemary and hibiscus plants in my yard and want to find a way to use them on my hair.

So I am in. Looking forward to growing with you all.

jaine
December 10th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I started this challenge already because I want to do Dec. 4 2010 - Dec 4 2011 ... And it's already challenging me immensely. I think I'll need some help to keep my hand off the phone for the next few months - I'm so, so tempted to call my stylist and/or go to Sally's and buy a razor.
I'm at the length that I struggled unsuccessfully to get past for ten years - just past shoulder with layers starting at chin level. I don't know why but this length makes me feel so frumpy. Would it get better eventually if I leave it alone?
I feel like the "layers ending at chin" issue would be less obvious if the layers were razored. But 10 years of cutting it to try to get past this length - that should convince me that cutting it doesn't help me get past this length.

Princess89
December 11th, 2010, 04:37 AM
Count me in. I had a trim a couple of weeks ago, before i found this thread, so i'm not going to a December trim. I think i'll go until just before Christmas 2011 so when i finish my "wear hair up everyday for a year"plan i can show everyone my long healthy hair (opposed to long uneven ends hair.) I'm also excited to find out what average rate my hair grows. Good luck to everyone!!!

luluj
December 11th, 2010, 05:39 PM
I don't know why but this length makes me feel so frumpy. Would it get better eventually if I leave it alone?

YES!:p;) Been where you are jaine, it's a tough stage, but just a stage.;)

SilvraShadows
December 11th, 2010, 08:19 PM
Fellow trimaholic here. I have strong urges to trim right now and it has only been TWO months since I last trimmed. I plan to have one last trim right before the challenge at christmas and I can't wait to get to do it! Not good, but maybe it's because I know I will be allowed to trim in such a short while. One year will be a big, big, big challenge for me. Starting this thread was a good idea though, 'cause now I'll feel obliged to do the whole challenge because I started the thread... I won't fail you guys!! :D

I understand all too well. I do, I do. I've been unwittingly maintaining since August at 28 inches, last trim was a little over a month ago and since that time I have been dusting the racers...

:hmm: ...what racers, it's only been six weeks. I should have gloriously blunt ends and no taper, but it's not so. I can only imagine what my ends will look like in one year. Sort of a scary vision.

I am glad to see your determination Lize... it helps me lots!!!

rhosyn_du what a great idea... a satin braid glove! I hate the elastic from the silk night caps, I tend to get headachey. I'll have to conjure up something for my night-braid.

lillylonghair
December 11th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Okay,just changed my avi so it shows my last hair cut and new hemline! Can't wait to see how much my hair grows. I've been lazy with pictures so I think I am going to make it a point to do month pregression pics.

jesis
December 11th, 2010, 10:26 PM
I want to try this. Or at least a "no trims in part of 2011". :D haha. Does that count? I'm just not sure. :shrug:

OperaTeacherMom
December 12th, 2010, 01:16 AM
Ok, I think I'm going to be in too! Can't wait to see where my hair is a year from now! I haven't had a trim since May, so I may give up a little earlier than the end of the year, we'll see how it goes.

Cupofmilk
December 12th, 2010, 10:20 AM
I am up for no cuts or trims though my hemline may be a disater - I have an upside down U shape - the pieces at the front being longest and back being shortest - nearly all the same length but the curl factor shortens the middle back. I could end up with a 4 inch difference !

bunzfan
December 12th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I am amazed i have got this far as i used to be down the hairdressers every two months as i bought into there" hair won't grow unless you have it cut every 8 weeks" . My last hair cut was back in June and there's not a split end in site but i do have fairy tale ends which make my braids look thin at the ends:mad:

MonikaHa
December 14th, 2010, 05:27 AM
Helloo, can I join in?
I got a great trim/haircut yesterday, and I am very happy with it. The stylist took a bit more what I asked, but in the end I love the end result. My ultimate goal is HEALTHY hair somewhere in between APL and BSL. You can see some pics in my blog, and I will be updating my album soon as well. I really hope I can make it, I used to go years without trims and my hair was just fine, but this time I am dealing with lots of bleach damage, so this may be a challenge.
I count on your support LHC! :)

Nae
December 14th, 2010, 07:15 AM
I'm seriously thinking bout joining here. I tried last year and only made it 6 months. Then I trimmed and had some layers evened up and really haven't made any progress in six months or so. ARGH, so I am back on the wagon. I haven't had a trim since.......October or November, I think. We are going to keep it up for a good long while.

Lunakitty
December 14th, 2010, 07:36 AM
I want to try this! I think I have most of my damage trimmed off now and we will see how well I can keep it healthy!

Artsy
December 14th, 2010, 10:08 AM
My last trim was in September, and my ends are still OK for now. I actually think they are getting better since I usually have more of the dry ends problem instead of split ends. So far it grew out 1 inch over the last 2 month:( I was hoping more, but what can I do:)
I had my layers evend out into a more blunt hemline which took off about 2", which was all of my growth through summer. So now I am back to 26". I want to be at waist soon:wail:

EmiliaF
December 14th, 2010, 10:24 AM
I'm in!

My hair is almost at Tailbone length (it's cut in a V and the tip of the V is already there :hooched: ) but I've been getting highlights for the past years and now want to let them grow out.

My tips are not great right now and I'm frequently doing S&D-sessions, BUT I have discovered hair sticks by accident and have now found a good way of keeping my hair out of my face (...food, drinks, zippers, books...) and think I can actually let them grow for a while and then do a big trimming in 2012 :)

:xmas:

artist
December 14th, 2010, 10:56 AM
Maybe a little early for New Year's resolutions, but here we go!

I have decided to do a No trims in 2011 challenge. I am growing out old highlights and layers and that has made me trim a lot lately. Now I want some length and I will go one whole year with no trims. I have never succeeded in doing that before so this will be a real challenge for me.

I want to see how much my hair could grow if I left it for one year with no trims. Since my hair is highlighted (most of it) and layered I am sure it won't be very pretty, so I will need all the support I can get.

I will have one last trim in the end of December this year. I am planning to cut like 1/2 inch, and probably only dust the layers. I think I have to trim one last time, otherwise it will be too hard to go one year. I have also decided to start my challenge in January because it feels easier to do a "calendar year".

During this challenge I will allow myself to S&D. I will try to wear my hair up as much as I can to avoid damage.

I am thinking this thread would be a great place to get support and to post progress pictures.

Who is with me?? :D

PS. I know there's a No trimming club, but I wanted to start a thread for this specific challenge. DS.

i am in to,,,thanks for kick starting me

skaempfer
December 14th, 2010, 10:43 PM
Hey Lize-

Are we posting pictures? A picture posted at new year and a second one next new year would be cool. We could even do a midsummer post if morale is flagging.

Oh, I am going to be so hairy by next year! :cheese:

Love23101
December 14th, 2010, 10:47 PM
I wish I could do it without trims, but I heard that not trimming it can make the split ends split all the way to the roots and damage your hair..

But if I think about it, when we didn't have scissors, we didn't cut out hair... Sooo....

I think I'll try no trims. Hopefully it isn't true that they split to the root...:confused:

-j-
December 14th, 2010, 11:56 PM
I think I could join this... :)

My last trim was in about 05/2009, if shaving some hair in the neckline doesn´t count (->that happened in 08/2009).
I hope my hair stays somewhat split-free the whole 2011, if it doesn´t I might want to trim a bit. Or maybe just some S&D.

-j-
December 14th, 2010, 11:57 PM
Hey Lize-

Are we posting pictures? A picture posted at new year and a second one next new year would be cool. We could even do a midsummer post if morale is flagging.

A very good idea! :)

Ravenwaves 88
December 15th, 2010, 06:41 PM
I just realized with my no trims in 2011 challenge I'll be at my goal by next christmas!!!!!! :joy: :bounce:

ooo
December 15th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Hey Lize-

Oh, I am going to be so hairy by next year! :cheese:
I second that!

thatjengirl1
December 15th, 2010, 07:03 PM
No trims for me in 2011! :)

My last trim i think was the beginning of NOvember and i have no splits so far. :cheese:

i'm excited to see how fast my hair grows when i just leave it alone

Lize
December 17th, 2010, 11:31 AM
Hey Lize-

Absolutely! Sounds perfect to post what we are starting with in the beginning of the new year! I have been planning to take a picture of what I am "starting with". I will try to take the picture as close to the New Year as possible, or maybe in the first days od January.

However I am planning to have my last trim soon. Maybe tomorrow even. :)

freckles
December 17th, 2010, 12:21 PM
I decided I'm not going to join this challenge next year, at least not right away. I'm going to do no trimming until my LHC anniversary (July) and then assess. Just to let you guys and girls know :)

Lize
December 18th, 2010, 02:34 AM
I had my last trim yesterday! Took about 1/3 of an inch off the length and only dusted the layers. At this point it didn't feel like I have to cut more. So let the challenge begin!

I will post a "starting with this" picture in the end of this year or the beginning of next.

SpeakingEZ
December 18th, 2010, 08:37 AM
Is it possible to have a multi-person album somewhere on the site? It would be nice to have a collection of starting pictures instead of having them scattered through this thread.

KarenSJ
December 18th, 2010, 09:43 AM
I am DEFINITELY with you:D

Just had a four-inch chop-off on my length due to uneven layers & damage. Now I'm back slightly above BSL and so discouraged. Been using henna for over a year and suspect it has been drying out my hair. Making a vow not to trim length and oil regularly. Let's see how far we can grow together!

jaine
December 18th, 2010, 11:20 AM
Is it possible to have a multi-person album somewhere on the site? It would be nice to have a collection of starting pictures instead of having them scattered through this thread.

Quick links > social groups
Members of a group can add pictures to it. but I'm not sure how to add a new group. Maybe someone with more posts can add a group for us?

Shell
December 18th, 2010, 11:50 AM
I can start a new group if you like. I'll go do so now.

ETA: All set up! Go over and join and get ready to post those pics--good luck to us all--great idea to make a social group! :)

jaine
December 18th, 2010, 03:56 PM
I can start a new group if you like. I'll go do so now.

ETA: All set up! Go over and join and get ready to post those pics--good luck to us all--great idea to make a social group! :)

Thanks Shell! I found your group and joined it. Here's a link to the group: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=229

I'm going to post a starting picture next time I wash my hair...sometime this week :)

Shell
December 18th, 2010, 04:35 PM
Thanks Shell! I found your group and joined it. Here's a link to the group: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=229

I'm going to post a starting picture next time I wash my hair...sometime this week :)

Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lillylonghair
December 18th, 2010, 08:06 PM
I had my last trim yesterday! Took about 1/3 of an inch off the length and only dusted the layers. At this point it didn't feel like I have to cut more. So let the challenge begin!

I will post a "starting with this" picture in the end of this year or the beginning of next.

Yeah I think I am actually going to take monthly pics instead of sporadically as usual. I am actually looking forward to tracking my growth and seeing how weather,etc,affects it.

I also will be going back to monistat as I had a big winter shed and have a ton of short hairs all around my nape and ears.

BeccaAngel
December 18th, 2010, 08:12 PM
You can do it! I'm waiting about six months before i get another trim. taking little steps with growing my hair back out

jaine
December 18th, 2010, 09:16 PM
Yeah I think I am actually going to take monthly pics instead of sporadically as usual. I am actually looking forward to tracking my growth and seeing how weather,etc,affects it.

I also will be going back to monistat as I had a big winter shed and have a ton of short hairs all around my nape and ears.

That is interesting...I also had a big shed and a lot of new hairs now...my shed was in the late summer/early fall and now I notice 1-2" new hairs sticking up everywhere. I haven't paid attention to it until now so I don't know if the seasonal shed is a normal annual thing for me.

lillylonghair
December 19th, 2010, 04:40 PM
That is interesting...I also had a big shed and a lot of new hairs now...my shed was in the late summer/early fall and now I notice 1-2" new hairs sticking up everywhere. I haven't paid attention to it until now so I don't know if the seasonal shed is a normal annual thing for me.

I usualy have a big shed about twice a year. I also got kind of careless with how I wore my hair while visiting my mom a few weeks ago so I think that has a lot to do with the breakage around my nape.

LHCMAN
December 20th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Let me introduce myself. I'm an asian man that just got his long hair lopped off by a "scissor happy stylist", and now I'm going to do the No trims in 2011 challenge! My hair is currently about 9 inches long and grows around .25 inches a week.

wahmof9
December 20th, 2010, 10:35 PM
Count me in....I want to be at waist

Vapunzel91
December 21st, 2010, 01:18 AM
I will accept this challenge. I'm also doing a challenge from 2008 to keep hair up for at least a month (maybe two), but probably not a year.

bunzfan
December 22nd, 2010, 11:04 AM
I have just done a trim to even up my hemline (see sig pic) so i am ready for the challenge as my hair had already gone 6 months without a trim.

MandaMom2Three
December 22nd, 2010, 11:30 AM
I'm in! My ends are in pretty good shape and I seriously want some LENGTH back!!