PDA

View Full Version : No trims in 2011 challenge!

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7

tinti
December 22nd, 2010, 11:33 AM
I'm in, maybe ;) I'll finish my 1 year without trims in May, and if it looks good then I will maybe wait until January to trim.

longlockenvy
December 22nd, 2010, 08:04 PM
I'm in. I'll go tomorrow and get a trim, and then try to go a year. It has been 6 months since my last trim, so we will see how the year goes. I currently have no split ends, just need the thinner ends trimmed off. My goal is no heat, products, or cutting for the year. Just oil.. I just ordered some coconut oil, I've never tried that before, but I hear it does wonders. Good luck everyone on your goals!

stinamoo
December 23rd, 2010, 05:22 AM
I'm in :) I'm planning not to cut/trim my hair until March 2012, so that covers all of 2011!

lacefrost
December 23rd, 2010, 08:22 PM
I'm in! I'm curious how long my hair will grow and also I'm wondering if I'm overtrimming my hair. I try to S&D but sometimes I just go ahead and trim. I'll trim December next year! Hopefully either my layers will have grown out enough to be rectified so that they're nice layers and not stupid ones OR I can just chop them and have enough length not to cry about it!

jaine
December 23rd, 2010, 08:39 PM
I'm ashamed to admit how close I came to scheduling a January haircut today - but I didn't! :) i wanted to be able to wear it down every now and then without funny-looking flippy layers - but I discovered today that styling it curly fixed the flippy layer issue without any cutting. Victory!

I also did such a funny kind of trim today. The very back & center of my hair had about 20 hairs that were half an inch longer than all of the surrounding bulk. It was like a mini rat tail so I trimmed it. I couldn't even find the ends after I trimmed off that one tiny piece. But there you go - my new year trim! :D I'm ready!!!

SarahBeth
December 24th, 2010, 11:38 AM
Ok, I'm in. I self trim and my last trim was Nov 26. So Jan 2012 will be just over a year. I'm so excited to see how long I'll grow in a year.My hair is healthy, no splits and not really prone to them,so, I should be ok for that long. One caveat, if I do start to see lots of splits, more than S&D can take care of, I'll have to bail. It's not worth destroying my hair over, you know.;)

bunzfan
December 24th, 2010, 01:05 PM
I have just had a fresh trim to make my no trim challenge easier you can see the pic in my signature pic, i am hoping to reach waist by July 2011.

Lize
December 26th, 2010, 04:40 AM
Awesome that there are so many of us now! This group of people are really going to help me get throuugh this. I have already had to S&D... :lol: I do lots of activities that are tough on my hair. Training and the fact that at this length it starts to look nice down... Which makes me start to wear it down more.

soapstone
December 26th, 2010, 05:46 AM
I will not trim the ends at all in 2011.
Now will try to make a siggy.

TheObscure
December 26th, 2010, 06:29 AM
With the exception of my blunt bangs, I will get no trims in 2011! :) (I've amazingly found a hairdresser who will cut my bangs without trying to chop the rest of my hair too)

skaempfer
December 27th, 2010, 03:38 AM
Lize- it might be good to copy (edit) jaine's link of the group that shell made into your original post for this thread, so newcomers can post their pictures.

I'll be taking my monthly picture on Jan 1st and will post it then! I'm enjoying your pictures, and looking forward to more!

Grow
Grow
Grow!
:cheer:

Quahatundightu
December 27th, 2010, 03:47 AM
Omg I'm already having urges! No! Bad!! I've already cut lately so I need to just wait it out or I'll never get the length I want..

skaempfer
December 27th, 2010, 04:00 AM
Quahatundightu, I'm coming to steal your scissors, Mwahahahahaha!
:demon:

Cupofmilk
December 27th, 2010, 05:37 AM
I have just trimmed about 1cm off - the only trim of 2010 and I will do no trims in 2011. I need to get a good 6 inches in the year to make it to TB which is 39inches+ and classic I am shooting for by the end of 2012 - thats 43-44 on me.

jaine
December 27th, 2010, 07:44 AM
I had a trimming urge yesterday too and I gave into it. It's still 2010 so this is allowed, right? :)
There was one annoying flip that has been bothering me for months.

Before:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=91556&albumid=6736&dl=1293399851&thumb=1

After:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=91565&albumid=6736&dl=1293404558&thumb=1

I rewet it and restyled it:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?pictureid=91599&albumid=6736&dl=1293419985&thumb=1

midnightwolf
December 27th, 2010, 08:37 AM
I think il be joining in on this. i want another 10inch on mine, so a year should take me near. Il be getting about 2 inches trimmed of in the next few days then its all grow :)

my aim is around just to the top of thighs i think. Although my mum did just say that would look freakish :S

SilvraShadows
December 27th, 2010, 01:40 PM
The Challenge is about to begin, officially! I really, really hope I can carry on... I did another half inch trim on the 23rd, and I was very tempted to cut it back to fullness (24 inches) but that is exactly what I have been doing since I came to the LHC ...with all kinds of excuses and hopes, now deferred.

So it's time to move forward, as best as I can, and I begin at 28 inches... for me it will be fun to see how much length I have gained without a single trim. I should fall at 34 inches by the year's end, passing two of my major goals along the way!

Good luck, everyone!

Braidy
December 28th, 2010, 09:27 AM
This sounds like fun :) I wonder how much growth I can get in a year! My hair hasn't been cut since the beginning of the summer but it's still looking healthy and I wear my hear up 90% of the time so no need to worry. Count me in! I'll S&D when necessary (ONLY when necessary) but other than that: no hairdressers and no scissors in 2011! :D

akuamoonmaui
December 29th, 2010, 08:33 AM
I trimmed about an inch off my 'V' hemline in order to make it more of a 'U' in anticipation of not cutting for a year, so I guess I've committed to this! I'm also going to frequent the 'fairy tale ends' thread for motivation when I get tempted to trim.

Burgundyhair
December 29th, 2010, 09:09 AM
I'll join! I'm not here very often. No time, i'm on holidays right now so here I am! :)

I want my hair to reach tailbone length in the upcoming year. It's basically WL now .....I say "basically" because my curls, behave differently depending on the weather and/or products used. Curly hair is a science and is misunderstood.:rolleyes: I'm due for a trim this month a la Deva method style.

I'll check in from time to time in the new year and see how everyone is doing.

Igor
December 29th, 2010, 09:18 AM
I’m in too. I’m desperate to get out of “Can I call it knee length yet? How about now? Now?!” and to an actual knee length :rolleyes:
I put all the Morocco Method beneficial dates in my calendar and will be doing S&Ds by them. That should keep my urge for a trim down

lajsa
December 29th, 2010, 09:31 AM
Hmm. I'd like to do this, just to see how far I'll get in one year... the problem is that in that case I'd like to do S&Ds to avoid my ends splitting themselves too much, and my hair is so fine that I rarely bother with S&Ds since I barely see the ends... :p But I actually think I'll do this. I SHALL. :D So wish me luck!

Sunny_side_up
December 29th, 2010, 09:42 AM
I'm thinking about this! :D like to see what length i'll get to this time next year:eyebrows: " 2010 saw me get over 7 inches cut off gradually! This winter i have had better hair growth than what i could've imagined, i thought it was slowing down as i saw it did last years winter. :bigeyes:

jaine
December 29th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I decided to get one final shape-up/trim before the new year because I know I definitely won't be able to make it through 2011 without cutting it in the bathroom, unless I like the shape of it. Cutting in the bathroom is a huge temptation for me - I know just enough about haircutting to fix a layer shape issue but then it looks worse a month later and needs to be redone. Professional haircuts last much longer for me!

I really want my layers texturized a bit so I predict I'll need a small trim mid-year in 2011, but I will stay on this thread anyway and cheer you on! I'm going to aim for 1 or 2 small dustings in 2011... I'll definitely be fighting the urge to trim it more often than that.

bunzfan
December 29th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I’m in too. I’m desperate to get out of “Can I call it knee length yet? How about now? Now?!” and to an actual knee length :rolleyes:
I put all the Morocco Method beneficial dates in my calendar and will be doing S&Ds by them. That should keep my urge for a trim down

Just wondering Igor have you ever tried this before to reach a hair milestone? and if so was it worth it or did you have to cut a lot of damage?

I ask as i am hoping i can reach my goal i hope i don't get many splits as i wear it up 24/7.

curlycrown
December 29th, 2010, 12:51 PM
I did my final chop on the 22nd. I actually cut all of my hair off so now I look like Brittney Spears when she first went mad and cut all of her hair off. I had too much breakage and mid shaft splits to deal with it anymore so I just decided to cut it all off. I knew that those splits would not have allowed me to go the entire year without a trim. I have henna to thank for my splits but I have learned not to do henna again. Im ready to just let my hair grow without henna or heat.

sanfen
December 29th, 2010, 01:27 PM
Wow - I just called my salon to find out when I was there last and it has been over a year! Dec 16, 2009. So I know I can do this. :)

Unfortunately, I did want to get a teeny trim this month but will not be able to until January, so I will start from that date.

In the year, I grew from nape to below shoulder due to benign neglect. I decided a few weeks ago to grow so I guess I am officially starting from my present length.

I am not great at being consistent with measuring or photos. It's kinda like watching a pot of water come to a boil. Maybe 2011 will be different.

I love the summer when I put my hair up everyday and then, when the weather gets cooler, all of a sudden I have a ton of hair. :) People are still remarking on how long my hair has gotten.

Igor
December 29th, 2010, 03:17 PM
Just wondering Igor have you ever tried this before to reach a hair milestone? and if so was it worth it or did you have to cut a lot of damage?

I ask as i am hoping i can reach my goal i hope i don't get many splits as i wear it up 24/7.

Benign neglect and Put It Up And Ignore It rules :lol:

I have recorded my length gains back from when I measured (Too long to do it accurately myself now) and in 2004 and 2006 I must have gone completely without trims.
2004 was from neck length to BSL and 2006 was waist to tailbone-ish.
My hair is obviously older now, more worn and easier to damage.

I’m a firm believer in trimming damage as soon as you see it. Damage will catch and tangle hair (Healthy hair too) and make detangling and handling more demanding, which causes damage.

Any kind of trimming is good: Real trims or S&D. The only difference is that S&D makes a nice blunt hemline a little less blunt.

I wrote down a 2011 Grow Dammit resolution in 3 points:
1) Take my supplements religiously (And expand my supplement regime for the next two months on a trial basis)
2) S&D by all beneficial MM dates to catch as much damage as possible *
3) Continue the 10-week care regime I once wrote down to get all the way around in what my hair could possibly need to stay healthy. It takes two conditioning or oiling treatments per week.

(Otherwise keep doing what I do: WO most days, put it up or braid it and ignore it. On days where I don’t have to go anywhere, I always braid it. I sleep in braid(s) so braiding it only requires the handling before and after the morning shower)

* I don’t go through a huge, complicated S&D session usually when I S&D. I simply look over my braid and tassel in front of the computer and often find a handful to snip. I have a theory that because a split end takes up more volume than a regular one, it will pop out of a braid on its own. Just like you can sort uneven sized material by size by simply shaking it in a container and the bigger pieces will “float” up to the surface because of the bigger volume.

bunzfan
December 29th, 2010, 03:29 PM
Benign neglect and Put It Up And Ignore It rules :lol:

I have recorded my length gains back from when I measured (Too long to do it accurately myself now) and in 2004 and 2006 I must have gone completely without trims.
2004 was from neck length to BSL and 2006 was waist to tailbone-ish.
My hair is obviously older now, more worn and easier to damage.

I’m a firm believer in trimming damage as soon as you see it. Damage will catch and tangle hair (Healthy hair too) and make detangling and handling more demanding, which causes damage.

Any kind of trimming is good: Real trims or S&D. The only difference is that S&D makes a nice blunt hemline a little less blunt.

I wrote down a 2011 Grow Dammit resolution in 3 points:
1) Take my supplements religiously (And expand my supplement regime for the next two months on a trial basis)
2) S&D by all beneficial MM dates to catch as much damage as possible *
3) Continue the 10-week care regime I once wrote down to get all the way around in what my hair could possibly need to stay healthy. It takes two conditioning or oiling treatments per week.

(Otherwise keep doing what I do: WO most days, put it up or braid it and ignore it. On days where I don’t have to go anywhere, I always braid it. I sleep in braid(s) so braiding it only requires the handling before and after the morning shower)

* I don’t go through a huge, complicated S&D session usually when I S&D. I simply look over my braid and tassel in front of the computer and often find a handful to snip. I have a theory that because a split end takes up more volume than a regular one, it will pop out of a braid on its own. Just like you can sort uneven sized material by size by simply shaking it in a container and the bigger pieces will “float” up to the surface because of the bigger volume.

Thank you so much for your reply, from what you have already said you do to minimise damage and grow your hair i am doing this already :D

I had a good trim just before Christmas as i was getting fairytale ends but no splits and i oil my hair length before braiding or bunning and i wear my hair up all the time in the day time and braid at night. My slight difference to you is that i CO mostly and wash once a week.I am hoping to be waist length by the time my 1 year anniversary comes round.

Igor
December 29th, 2010, 03:38 PM
Thank you so much for your reply, from what you have already said you do to minimise damage and grow your hair i am doing this already :D
Good job! :rockerdud
There really is no quantum mechanics to growing long hair, its just about nurturing, protecting and otherwise ignoring it

I had a good trim just before Christmas as i was getting fairytale ends but no splits and i oil my hair length before braiding or bunning and i wear my hair up all the time in the day time and braid at night. My slight difference to you is that i CO mostly and wash once a week.I am hoping to be waist length by the time my 1 year anniversary comes round.
It’s a really good sign you’re are at BSL without damage yet, that means you’re doing something right! :wink:
Your routine looks really good to me. Keep doing that and I have no doubt you will be at waist in a year :wink:

Shicurls
December 29th, 2010, 04:17 PM
Okay I posted some really bad pictures in my album to record my starting length. Let the no trimming begin!! Eek! i'm a little scared.....

vintersaga
December 29th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Okay I posted some really bad pictures in my album to record my starting length. Let the no trimming begin!! Eek! i'm a little scared.....

I am sure this will be a good no-trimming year, Shicurls. I can understand that it is a little scary, but we will encourage each other and make it through the year and find that we have gained new length :)

Only two days left!

Feng-Shui
December 29th, 2010, 05:17 PM
I am inside.:toast:

In the past two months I did not have much growth because I had a lack of iron.

I am firmly decided my goal knee length to achieve 2011.
I becomes only s&d if necessarily do.

If my hair knee length exceeds I it will back-cut only at the beginning of January 2012.

If my hair strongly fairy tale ends gets I it will ignore 2011.

My goal length has first priority 2011.

SilvraShadows
December 29th, 2010, 08:17 PM
Those who have joined the Challenge with the longer lengths, can you please help us by sharing your tricks to the trade. Igor posted some very helpful ideas... anyone else?

But I still have a question for Igor... when you said "WO most days" do you use shampoo ever? How often do you wash your hair, whether it is WO or with shampoo? My length seems to dry out if I put off "washing" it for too long. I like to at least wet the braid only and moisturize it with conditioner, and that's only if my scalp doesn't need a-washing.

I am almost waist... hopefully by mid-summer. I wish I had your growth rate! I'd be there in half that time.

Igor
December 29th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Those who have joined the Challenge with the longer lengths, can you please help us by sharing your tricks to the trade. Igor posted some very helpful ideas... anyone else?
I have lots of ideas :p Anything special you’re looking for?

But I still have a question for Igor... when you said "WO most days" do you use shampoo ever?
I haven’t used shampoo regularly in…Gosh, 5 years? Since then I have used shampoo maybe 10 times in all in case of intense greasiness or oiling attempts gone wrong. It’s not that I’m anti-shampoo, I just think that when I can clean 99% as well using CO washes, I have no reason to use harsher methods.

How often do you wash your hair, whether it is WO or with shampoo?
I CO wash 1-2 a week and WO wash all other days of the week. Usually more like a rinse though.

My length seems to dry out if I put off "washing" it for too long. I like to at least wet the braid only and moisturize it with conditioner, and that's only if my scalp doesn't need a-washing.
Have you ever tried oil?

I am almost waist... hopefully by mid-summer. I wish I had your growth rate! I'd be there in half that time.
Actually my growth rate isn’t that good. 1,5-2 cm per month. Its very much average :shrug: It just looks more impressive because I started from nothing

CiannaitTrozel
December 29th, 2010, 09:29 PM
I'm in for sure! Lets just hope my health lets me get away with it this year :D

grrlshapedthing
December 29th, 2010, 10:06 PM
I'm totally a 110% in with this challenge!!! My hair is finally at a place wear I can grow it evenly. I have layers that hopefully will grow out well... I like the fairytale ends anyway... so here we go

jaine
December 29th, 2010, 10:13 PM
I got my New Year's trim and I love it!! Bonus, no razor... I had no idea my layers could look good without it but they do! :)

I'll do as much as I can in this challenge but my heart won't be broken if I want a mid-year shape-up. I will still cheer you on! :)

Mírien
December 30th, 2010, 01:18 AM
I am not yet sure whether I am ready to join you... :rolleyes: My ends look OK now but I do not know whether they will hold on for a whole year. Before finding LHC I used to cut off about half an inch from the end of my braid whenever it looked thin, uneven or when I hated my hair... :shrug: But then my ends were fairly dry and I had split ends. Thanks to coconut oil the dryness disappeared :D and my latest trim solved the split-end problem as well. So maybe, I will give it a try and join you. :cheese:

-j-
December 30th, 2010, 07:52 AM
I finally managed to post a picture :)

I am not afraid of the non-trimming. My last trim was about 1,5 years ago, and the ends seem okay. I think I have found only one split end so far. But of course, my hair is still quite short so it stays in better condition than if it was longer.

Anyway, I wish happy growing fo all of us!

midnightwolf
December 30th, 2010, 08:21 AM
i tried to post yesterday and cant see it so not sure if i did or not. but im up for this. my hairs around 34inch (im short so it looks longer on me). I S&D regualy so think my hair could handle this. My ends have fairy tailed quite a bit but i think thats just how my hair grows (and probably partly due to the amount of hair i shed a day!)

sami
December 30th, 2010, 08:31 AM
I would like to join this challenge too. My hair is just on my shoulders now. The last 2 trims I gave myself after having a nutter cut lots more than I wanted the last time I had it cut by a hairdresser. Even with all the dyeing, straightening tongs, etc., although my hair is dry and damaged (although improving in leaps and bounds since I took up henna) the ends look ok (for now!!). I usually only have cuts 2-3 times a year anyway whether huge drastic cuts, or little trims, so hopefully I can get quite far into 2011 (maybe 2012?) without scissors going near my hair!

crazy_margaret
December 30th, 2010, 09:44 AM
I will join. I had originally intended on trimming my hair on Dec 31... but have decided not to and to go a year without doing so... making it 20 months trim free, something I NEVER though possible before :)

jaine
December 31st, 2010, 06:07 PM
Is anyone trimming their hair tonight? Last chance! :)

vloucak
January 1st, 2011, 03:34 AM
Hi! I want to join too, I am not sure if I can handle it but I will try my hardest. I have layers and lightening so I want to get rid of it. This challange might hepl me. Will we be documenting our progress with foto? :cheese: My starting lenght is 30,7 inch :cheese:

jaine
January 1st, 2011, 05:05 AM
Hi! I want to join too, I am not sure if I can handle it but I will try my hardest. I have layers and ligtening so I want to get rid of it. This challange might hepl me. Will we be documenting our progress with foto? :cheese: My starting lenght is 30,7 inch :cheese:

Yes, we made a group so we can see our photos all in one place...it's the link in my signature. You can add a photo there.

Loviisa
January 1st, 2011, 07:32 AM
I'm in!

I'm new here, and this is my starting point to leave my hair really go long! I had my last trim in the mid of October, and, how it usually goes, the heardresser took much too much when I asked for 2 cm's ----- so I decided that was the last time to use their services. Normally also, when my hair is this long or a bit longer, I go and cut it. Now I want to see what happens without. I think this is something I need to do (at least) once in a lifetime!

1.1.2011:
http://img828.imageshack.us/i/loviisahair01.jpg/

jaine
January 1st, 2011, 10:01 AM
Well I have good news to report ... I haven't trimmed my hair yet!!!
12 hours down, 8,748 to go. :D

I had a dream that I trimmed my hair last night and I thought I had lost the challenge already ... oh my. Thankfully that wasn't real. I paid good money for this trim ... no way am I going to mess it up!! My stylist didn't use a razor at all so I'm pretty confident I'll be able to make it the whole year without splits.

annieangel149
January 1st, 2011, 10:28 AM
hey peeps! im in! im only at 17.5 inches roughly and am thinking my ends may just be okay for me to do no trimming in 2011! i just dont want to trim my hair!! ^__^

anyway pics up tomorrow if im allowed at under 25 posts!

Varney
January 1st, 2011, 10:28 AM
I'm joining in. I have wanted long hair for a long time but always seem to end up cutting it a bit too much (and regretting it later). So by joining in here I'm hoping to be able to stop myself beforehand. Only S & D from now on. I haven't noticed any splits at the moment and rarely get splits anymore so I should be able to keep my promise :)

Loviisa
January 1st, 2011, 10:44 AM
I'm in!

I'm new here, and this is my starting point to leave my hair really go long! I had my last trim in the mid of October, and, how it usually goes, the heardresser took much too much when I asked for 2 cm's ----- so I decided that was the last time to use their services. Normally also, when my hair is this long or a bit longer, I go and cut it. Now I want to see what happens without. I think this is something I need to do (at least) once in a lifetime!

1.1.2011:
[IMG]http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/9545/loviisahair01.jpg (http://img828.imageshack.us/i/loviisahair01.jpg/)

(hopefully the photo shows up this time)

bte
January 1st, 2011, 10:51 AM
Good luck to all of you - I hope you all reach your goals!
I have just started my 17th year without a trim (aiming for 39 years - double my age at my last trim) and I don't hold the record here by a long way!

DeaBellona
January 1st, 2011, 11:31 AM
Wow, 17 years...don't think i could keep my trim happy fingers from my hair for that long! I'm impressed.
I'll have to sign up to this too, as last time i got a trim (about 3 weeks ago) the hairdresser took quite a bit off, and its about 3 inches shorter, and back at BSL....hope I'll be able to manage it.

SilvraShadows
January 1st, 2011, 12:19 PM
I have lots of ideas :p Anything special you’re looking for?

A book authored by you. That'll do, thank you!

I haven’t used shampoo regularly in…Gosh, 5 years? Since then I have used shampoo maybe 10 times in all in case of intense greasiness or oiling attempts gone wrong. It’s not that I’m anti-shampoo, I just think that when I can clean 99% as well using CO washes, I have no reason to use harsher methods.

I am leaning to this, washing less with the CO or WO washes inbetween and perhaps I can phase out of shampooing so much! I wash every third day (generally) and not always with shampoo.

I CO wash 1-2 a week and WO wash all other days of the week. Usually more like a rinse though.

So once or twice a week you CO, the "all the other days" you WO... does this mean everyday you are washing your hair one way or another? The reason I ask is because Cinnamon Hair CO's everyday and she also has healthy beautiful lengths also. Her beginnings were pretty frayed. I am wondering if the constant dampness of conditioner keeps one's hair supple and thereby able to grow longer? Just a thought.

Have you ever tried oil?

Yes. I randomly will have a coconut oil presoak before I do wash my hair... and mostly this is when I CWC. When I CO or WO, I won't do the oil soak. Then between washes I use EVOO with a drop each of rosemary and rose geranium essential oils... which I love!

Actually my growth rate isn’t that good. 1,5-2 cm per month. Its very much average :shrug: It just looks more impressive because I started from nothing

My growth rate is the norm of 1/2 inch a month. Measely 6 inches a year, but I'll take it. Your hair is impressive, very much so! I have seen you pass me up a dozen times ;) and your braids are beyond belief to my eyes... my eyes have to look at one teeny pencil braid and the tip of it looks like a fine tipped paint brush at that! So from where I sit... I've always been in awe of your tresses!

SilvraShadows
January 1st, 2011, 12:26 PM
Good luck to all of you - I hope you all reach your goals!
I have just started my 17th year without a trim (aiming for 39 years - double my age at my last trim) and I don't hold the record here by a long way!

Seventeen years! This is something.

I was thinking back in my life... fifteen years ago I had tb length hair, thick, happy, started to grey. So I went in for my first color weave, just for fun. It became a nightmare and flinged me off in a total different direction, which eventually led me here :)

If only... no color weave, no trims, I can't imagine! We are the same age... maybe I should stop trims all together and not just for this year :hmm:

Veer666
January 1st, 2011, 01:46 PM
I would like to try this!

My last real haircut is from december 2009. Last november I did a minor trim of 1/2 inch myself. Just to straighten things out, not because of split ends.

I rarely have split ends, so a year would not be a problem.

However I am going to get married in August. So I might end up trimming it a little bit if the ends are uneven or too thin. I would like some nice wedding pictures ofcourse!
But this is too soon to tell. If there is no reason to trim or cut I won't.

So with no trims hopefully a gain of about 14 inches this year if the recent growrate is maintained (about 1 tot 1.5 inch a month).
That would mean reaching classic this year! jeej!

OperaTeacherMom
January 1st, 2011, 02:37 PM
Haven't had a trim since May, and a full cut since 12-09, here's where I'm at now:
http://i166.photobucket.com/albums/u102/hobbitcutie/921_0534.jpg

Hoping to get between APL and BSL curly in the next year!

VintageBrooklyn
January 1st, 2011, 02:45 PM
I am getting a pixie chop within the next few days to start the new year off as all natural (I've been growing out the dye since July 2010).
Cutting all the dye off will be so liberating for me, I can't wait!
I also will not touch my new growth with scissors for 2011! Yay!

grrlshapedthing
January 1st, 2011, 03:38 PM
This is my starting point on December 29th

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=6946&pictureid=92129

vintersaga
January 1st, 2011, 07:28 PM
The challenge is now officially started. :cheer:

Good luck everyone :)

Fufu
January 2nd, 2011, 12:01 AM
My last hair trim was in end April 2010. Gonna try 2011 without any trim..

sonng
January 2nd, 2011, 12:04 AM
I trimmed on December 30th because I didn't trimmed for a year and had a lot of damaged. I was 23 inches but I went back to 21 inches.. really sad :< but I won't trim for the entire year maybe dusting. Hopefully I'll reach 30 inches by the end of 2011. :hmm:

bte
January 2nd, 2011, 04:44 AM
Seventeen years! This is something.

I was thinking back in my life... fifteen years ago I had tb length hair, thick, happy, started to grey. So I went in for my first color weave, just for fun. It became a nightmare and flinged me off in a total different direction, which eventually led me here :)

If only... no color weave, no trims, I can't imagine! We are the same age... maybe I should stop trims all together and not just for this year :hmm:

A great age to be! The trims - no trims question depends so much on the individual. I can't afford to sacrifice quantity for quality, so I go for benign neglect every time. But you can always see how a no trim 2011 suits you and then think about each year at a time.

marsali
January 2nd, 2011, 05:44 AM
Hi there :)
can I join you? My sis told mi to find you so Im here :D What am I supposed to do? Post my photo or something like that? lol Im scared how long they will be after this year xD

ChatNoir
January 2nd, 2011, 06:40 AM
I am in as well! In January 2012 it will be 1,5 years since my last trim. :D

S&D-ing will be done if needed though...

Beatrix_Kiddo
January 2nd, 2011, 02:39 PM
Count me in!
I will only survive with some dusting and S&D, but I don't want to trim inches of hair, because I think it goes very well. I need to feel hair at my back!
My last haircut was last february and then I continued with 3 dusting between may and december. So, in february will be a year! But I prefer to start today, because I'll always remember the date, jiji.

So here I go!!

vintersaga
January 2nd, 2011, 02:45 PM
Hi there :)
can I join you? My sis told mi to find you so Im here :D What am I supposed to do? Post my photo or something like that? lol Im scared how long they will be after this year xD

Hi marsali :waving:

Yes, of course you are welcome to join us. You don't need to post any pictures unless you want to. It's good to have something to refer to at the end of this year, but there is absolutely no demand to post pictures. Even though it's nice to see how everybody's going! :flower:

Anyway - photos or not - the only thing you're supposed to do is rather what you are not supposed to do. No trimming in 2011. :)

constancev18
January 2nd, 2011, 03:12 PM
I'd like to join this challenge too. The last time I trimmed was Oct 2009, but I'm feeling the urge to make my ends nice and even. My plan is to wait it out for a year then trim Dec 2011.

jaine
January 2nd, 2011, 04:06 PM
Can you believe it, I already had my first temptation to snip at my hair. I should update my current length - it's not shoulder length. It's Cowlick Length.
(I didn't snip it of course.)

I'm probably making things worse by trying to stretch out my natural wave pattern into looser waves ... I'm just making cowlicks with every attempt to do that. Tomorrow I'll wear it wurly/curly and probably get a much better shape.

MonikaHa
January 2nd, 2011, 05:36 PM
jaine, you and me both! I got rid of all my layers, but now my hair just hangs down flat and I want layers again. But I don't want to go to a stylist, and I won't do it myself. So I am kinda stuck LOL

jaine
January 2nd, 2011, 05:47 PM
jaine, you and me both! I got rid of all my layers, but now my hair just hangs down flat and I want layers again. But I don't want to go to a stylist, and I won't do it myself. So I am kinda stuck LOL

I know what you mean! I refuse to cut my own layers any more after stumbling across some pictures from 2008 where I was trimming them on my own. My hair has never looked worse! :) I'm pretty sure I've tried every compact haircutting method on the planet and it still looked bad. I will only go to a professional now but I like to have a little bit of extra length to spare before I go ... a few inches past a landmark like shoulder or APL so that I'll still feel like the "same" length once she's done fixing the mess! :)

Alexannee10
January 2nd, 2011, 05:58 PM
I would love to join, but I know I'll not be able lolll :p

Igor
January 2nd, 2011, 06:09 PM
A book authored by you. That'll do, thank you!
I can print out my blog and autograph that for you :wigtongue:

I am leaning to this, washing less with the CO or WO washes inbetween and perhaps I can phase out of shampooing so much! I wash every third day (generally) and not always with shampoo.
That’s exactly how I did it too: Stretching shampoo washes using CO. I have a theory it might also help to allow the scalp to grease up and normalise itself. The scalp needs to go from trying to protect itself from drying out to a more stabile, normal sebum production. It might be worth a shot to plan greasy days where you cover with a bandanna or know you don’t have to go anywhere :shrug:

So once or twice a week you CO, the "all the other days" you WO... does this mean everyday you are washing your hair one way or another? The reason I ask is because Cinnamon Hair CO's everyday and she also has healthy beautiful lengths also. Her beginnings were pretty frayed. I am wondering if the constant dampness of conditioner keeps one's hair supple and thereby able to grow longer? Just a thought.
I usually have a day a week where I don’t wash my hair in any way. Hubby an I are very good at being lazy slobs :lol: Then it just stays in a braid and is ignored all day.
I think you might be on to something there. There is a more scientific thread somewhere on the board with lots of microscopic pictures of hairs broken and the “wet” breaks seems to be a lot less dramatically split than the “dry” breaks.

Yes. I randomly will have a coconut oil presoak before I do wash my hair... and mostly this is when I CWC. When I CO or WO, I won't do the oil soak. Then between washes I use EVOO with a drop each of rosemary and rose geranium essential oils... which I love!
That sounds like a really good, protecting routine! :thumbsup:

My growth rate is the norm of 1/2 inch a month. Measely 6 inches a year, but I'll take it. Your hair is impressive, very much so! I have seen you pass me up a dozen times ;) and your braids are beyond belief to my eyes... my eyes have to look at one teeny pencil braid and the tip of it looks like a fine tipped paint brush at that! So from where I sit... I've always been in awe of your tresses!
:oops: Thank you :flowers:

MonikaHa
January 2nd, 2011, 08:43 PM
I know what you mean! I refuse to cut my own layers any more after stumbling across some pictures from 2008 where I was trimming them on my own. My hair has never looked worse! :) I'm pretty sure I've tried every compact haircutting method on the planet and it still looked bad. I will only go to a professional now but I like to have a little bit of extra length to spare before I go ... a few inches past a landmark like shoulder or APL so that I'll still feel like the "same" length once she's done fixing the mess! :)

Yup, I learned the hard way too. Plus, they would comb my hair, get a good look and ask with a puzzled look on their faces: Sooo ... where did you get your last haircut? LOOOL

katgib
January 2nd, 2011, 08:46 PM
I wish I could participate in this, but my hair is already too damaged to be able to commit. I'll be needing a trim within the next couple of weeks. :( Otherwise, I'd definitely be game for this.

heynormy
January 2nd, 2011, 08:48 PM
I'm in!! My last trim was December 17, 2010 and I had about half an inch taken off all around. Right now I'm stuck at a little past BSL and it's driving me insane!! I feel like I haven't seen any growth in months, so this will be a good way to see some progress!! :)

PiroskaCicu
January 3rd, 2011, 08:21 AM
I'm in on the challenge! I trimmed/cut my hair a lot in the past 2 years because of post pixie layers/ dye so now that I am layer free, I want to just grow long! :)

GypsyGoddess
January 3rd, 2011, 09:08 AM
I'm in because I need to do it! Been working out a pixie since June last year and I'm hoping I've grown/trimmed enough to be past the mullety stage. But I will definitely need encouragement not to trim and probably inspiration for what to do with short curly/wavy hair. Lately I've been turning the shortest part (the front) into really thick bangs and doing tiny pig-tails in the back, but I'm not sure how long I want to do that for with all the hair clips I have to use...

So I will need lots of encouragement not to trim or cut!

jaine
January 3rd, 2011, 10:56 AM
I'm in because I need to do it! Been working out a pixie since June last year and I'm hoping I've grown/trimmed enough to be past the mullety stage. But I will definitely need encouragement not to trim and probably inspiration for what to do with short curly/wavy hair. Lately I've been turning the shortest part (the front) into really thick bangs and doing tiny pig-tails in the back, but I'm not sure how long I want to do that for with all the hair clips I have to use...

So I will need lots of encouragement not to trim or cut!

When I was at that length I made an updo by twisting sections of my hair and securing them towards the back with claw clips. It also sounds like it's long enough for 2 peacock twists or maybe multiple small French twists. Or just loose...I think curly hair looks great with pixie layers!

Lemur_Catta
January 3rd, 2011, 11:54 AM
So, the challenge has started :D
I had my last trim on November 21st, I cut 6 cm, going from 82 to 76 cm. Now my hair is 78 cm, so I have gained 2 cm in 1 month and 10 days, which is average.
I have decided to blow dry my hair less often, I usually blow dried after every wash because I wash in the evening and I hate sleeping with my head wet, but my sister gave me a beautiful set of flexi rollers, and I love them :D

Shicurls
January 3rd, 2011, 03:10 PM
i posted this in the social group, but do any of you feel like your hairs are split at the end when really they're just different lengths? I get to the point where they're all different lengths (I'm talking within cm's here) and I think that my hair is split and needs to be trimmed! This is the urge I'm fighting!

Today was a classic example. I was watching t.v. and running my fingers down my minimal length (I was doing a pre-wash oiling) and I thought the last inch or so was split! I then pulled what I could forward to look at each individual strand. None of them were split nor were they damaged, they simply felt "rough" because of the various lengths! So, basically, this whole time I've been cutting non-damaged hair!!! ARRRGGGHHH!

Thank goodness I joined this challenge! No more! I am now forced to do light (I do mean LIGHT) dustings and S&D's!

Okay, end of whatever I'm going on about! :D

grrlshapedthing
January 3rd, 2011, 03:49 PM
4 days into the new years and the challenge and it already seems a bit tough... I think oooOOOooo I can just trim it a little bit to.... NO NO NO...

the only thing I'm allowing myself to trim is my fringe

Shicurls
January 3rd, 2011, 04:26 PM
It's hilarious isn't it? I feel like a child who's been told not to eat dessert before dinner, and all I want to do is eat dessert!

jaine
January 3rd, 2011, 04:50 PM
4 days into the new years and the challenge and it already seems a bit tough... I think oooOOOooo I can just trim it a little bit to.... NO NO NO...

the only thing I'm allowing myself to trim is my fringe

Hang in there: just remember the only way past it is THROUGH it!! :p

I have pretty much daily annoyances with my hair at shoulder length ... you all will be sick of my whining soon! :)

Behold my frustrations:

Loose waves = HUGE flips and cowlicks!
Tight waves/curls = Nice shape but I would feel too "decorative" wearing it to work like this ... I want people at work to completely ignore my hair and only see my work
Updo = horrible bun waves! I want to wear it down after work and my hair is not long enough for good bun waves when I take it down!
Straightening = too damaging!

Blehhhhh! I don't like any of my options at this length.

ETA: SHICURLS I know exactly what you mean. My curls start to intertwine and tangle near the ends if the ends are not blunt, and the tangly-ness of it makes me think it's damaged when it's not. It is annoying!

Lori1965
January 3rd, 2011, 05:08 PM
Oh yeah, I want to do this too! :cheese:
If it gets to looking too scraggly I'll just wear it in a braid.

Lori1965
January 3rd, 2011, 05:16 PM
Behold my frustrations:
Loose waves = HUGE flips and cowlicks!When I was growing my bangs out last summer it was flip, flip, flip :brickwall Now they quit flipping and are at the annoying stage of falling in my eyes. Gotta love bobby pins. :)

Hang in there!

SarahBeth
January 3rd, 2011, 05:22 PM
I find my hair very frustrating at this point. I keep reminding myself that this time I WILL get through this ackward(sp?) phase. In the past, I would go running for the scissors long before now. I maintained a short pixie for nearly 8 years. I feel like I've been having a non-stop bad hair day for nearly 2 years.(Growing since Feb. 2009, with lots a trims) I agree that the only way passed it is through it. So onward I march. Also helpful to remind myself that at this time next year this phase will be a distant memory and by cutting I only prolong the agony. I can do this, but more than that I want to, therefore I can be successful.

Stormcast
January 3rd, 2011, 05:23 PM
Count me in, I love this idea. I have to get back on the horse with S&Ds again though.

RocketDog
January 3rd, 2011, 05:57 PM
I haven't had a trim in more than 6 months... what's another 12?

A year's growth should put me close to hip length, since I am just a finger's width away from waist length when my hair is damp.

SilvraShadows
January 3rd, 2011, 06:16 PM
Igor... Thanks so much! I'll have to run over to your blog... :bluesmile I am sure to find some help and ideas as I sift through the pages.

grrlshapedthing
January 3rd, 2011, 07:03 PM
I just wanted to let you all know that I'm mostly documenting my hair growth and what not on my hair blog here on LHC http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/blog.php?u=34205

jaine
January 3rd, 2011, 07:10 PM
When I was growing my bangs out last summer it was flip, flip, flip :brickwall Now they quit flipping and are at the annoying stage of falling in my eyes. Gotta love bobby pins. :)

Hang in there!

Thank you, that gives me hope! I can only hope mine will be less annoying in 6 months.

My latest science experiment is hair wrapping to see if I can loosen my waves without getting flips and kinks (all of my previous attempts to loosen my waves involve some sort of low ponytail, which makes it look wonky right about the ponytail holder). it just might work.

craftybunn
January 3rd, 2011, 07:11 PM
:cheese: Yay! It is unreal how perfect the timing of this is for me. I was just writing my New Year's resolutions today (yes, on January 6th) and one was not to trim all year. I am joining late but I haven't trimmed since joining the LHC in May of 2010. Coincidentally, I just did my first S&D in the car on the way home from the beach yesterday. DH was driving. I didn't have scissors so I bit off the splits with my teeth! TMI, right? :oops: There were just a few. WooHoo! So... I think I can do this. Correction, I know WE can do this!

stinamoo
January 5th, 2011, 09:32 AM
craftybunn, careful of removing splits with your teeth as they will crush the hair apart rather than cutting it cleanly like sharp scissors would! That means you could just be setting yourself up for more splits on those hairs. Just wait til you get home and have scissors - or bring some with you ;)

ooo
January 5th, 2011, 01:12 PM
I have not measured my hair yet, but this is my starting picture.
http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww203/quallest/2010dez1.jpg

soapstone
January 5th, 2011, 07:39 PM
I'm at 14 inches and looks shorter than yours.
Maybe you are at 16 inches, if I am measuring correctly.

ooo
January 6th, 2011, 03:01 AM
I'm at 14 inches and looks shorter than yours.
Maybe you are at 16 inches, if I am measuring correctly.

I don't know, if you mean me, but I'm way past 16 inch. It's 21 inch pretty much exactly. Usually I measure in cm, as I'm more familiar with it and I take it is more accurate (can't find the right word, for what I mean).

Lize
January 6th, 2011, 10:14 AM
Hi guys! Sorry that I have been abscent. VERY busy life right now. But in mostly good ways. :)

So I have not had time to take a starting picture yet, and I might wait a bit more. As long as it is in Januray, right? I just don't have any time right now!

I have, as someone suggested, added the link to the social group with pictures in the original post of the thread so that newcomers and others can find it more easily.

So far this challenge is easy for me since I am too busy to notice my hair much. :D

bunzfan
January 6th, 2011, 10:18 AM
I have not measured my hair yet, but this is my starting picture.
http://i720.photobucket.com/albums/ww203/quallest/2010dez1.jpg

What a great idea! i think we should all show a starting shot of our hair here is mine

http://i1107.photobucket.com/albums/h400/emmerline1/P101222003.jpg

i think its about 25 inches

skaempfer
January 6th, 2011, 10:26 AM
What a great idea! i think we should all show a starting shot of our hair here is mine

*photo snipped*

i think its about 25 inches

ooo, Bunzfan, Lize has posted the link for the group page on the first thread of the page. You can post it there, if you like! Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=229) it is, too.

Lize, nice to hear from you! I was beginning to worry :o

Busy is excellent, as you say, so here's to a busy year for all of us so we have no time to watch our hair grow. It will be long before we know it! :D

ooo
January 6th, 2011, 10:45 AM
ooo, Bunzfan, Lize has posted the link for the group page on the first thread of the page. You can post it there, if you like! Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/group.php?groupid=229) it is, too.

I already posted my picture in the group a while back. Personally I think it's good to post a starting picture in the thread as well. ;)

Avital88
January 6th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Can i still join for this year? i just had a trim 2 days ago but not planning on any trims more this year :)

Shicurls
January 6th, 2011, 05:30 PM
Totally! Join us! it's still January!

jaine
January 6th, 2011, 05:46 PM
I agree! If I get on an annual-haircut rhythm I'll need to do something similar too, getting a trim either right near the end of 2011 or in the beginning of 2012...

Jennie80
January 7th, 2011, 12:34 PM
HI everyone. I want to join this group. I cut about 1/2 inch in december. I hope it`s ok to S&D?? I tried this for the first time yesterday and I didn`t have a single split end or white dot. i`m surprised but happy.. Before I trimmed it my self 2 times a year and got ald bleech in it and went to the hairdresser in november and fixed it with some color that matches mine so now I&#180;m happy and will leave it alone..
I hope for your support when my hand are itching ...

ArienEllariel
January 7th, 2011, 03:59 PM
I'm hoping to be able to do this but we'll see. It depends on how my hair behaves. Right now the ends are just fine and I haven't cut in 6 months. :)

halfbroke
January 7th, 2011, 04:45 PM
I would like to not trim this year. My last trim was on December 21. If i stick with the no trimming, then i will be at my goal of waist by the end of the year!:)

Shicurls
January 7th, 2011, 09:30 PM
Welcome, guys! I'm hoping we'll all be able to help each other stay away from cutting!

ancilla
January 7th, 2011, 09:33 PM
I would like to join. However, I don't want to go past tailbone, so I will start trimming once I am past tailbone to maintain (and thicken). However, that might not happen until late 2011.
I will also be doing occasional S&D sessions to get rid of splits and white dots.

McFearless
January 7th, 2011, 09:42 PM
I have layers at APL, waist and everything in between. I also have splits at every layer. The splits don't go up high on the strand though. Do you guys think I could succeed in this challenge? I don't think S&D is working for me and I want to hold out for an actual cut in 2012. I don't heat style or dye. Will my hair become more damaged if I babied it for a year?

GhostLocks
January 7th, 2011, 10:01 PM
I cut my hair yesterday only by an inch because it was really damaged at the tips thanks to New England's lovely weather (oh the sarcasm) but I'm in. I didn't see this post until now but from here on out I won't cut my hair until next year.

Oz
January 7th, 2011, 10:20 PM
im in! o damn. starting from NOW im in anyway

jersey
January 7th, 2011, 10:43 PM
What an great challenge! I'm definitely in. Good luck to everyone doing this challenge as well hopefully you get lots and lots healthy growth over the next year! I know I'm hoping for some. :pray: *keeps very watch on this thread*

PraiseCheeses
January 7th, 2011, 11:55 PM
Sigh. I didn't have time to get in a "last trim of 2010" like I wanted, and now I'm starting this challenge with an uneven hemline from my butchered cut in late October. It's going to be a long year.

But hey - it's just more incentive to keep my hair up, right? :p

I'm very happy you'll all be here to keep everyone in good company. Happy growing and good luck! :D

Timkerbelle
January 8th, 2011, 04:13 AM
I think I will join this challenge. My hair is in reasonable condition, but very short and very layered. I can finally put it up, so I think not cutting it might give that boost I really want. I want a blunt hemline, but really don't want to cut back to chin again just to get it. Guess I'm kinda joining the "wear your hair up in 2011" challenge too :p

Nae
January 8th, 2011, 06:57 AM
Over a week in! Is everybody staying strong?? So far so good over here.

lacefrost
January 8th, 2011, 12:10 PM
Man I really want to cut my bang area. Like superbad. I'm trying hard not to though.

GrowingGlory
January 8th, 2011, 12:53 PM
No desire to cut yet. Thanks to NightBlooming's Winter Panacea and Triple Moon Annointing Oil and my trusty MP Large Extra, my ends and length are not snappy, brittle or dry.

Pumpkin
January 8th, 2011, 02:11 PM
Ok....I did this in 2009...no trims, then in 2010, I think I trimmed about 5 times...so, I am into the no trim in 2011. Everytime I did do a trim I was so stressed out about the whole process! Don't get me wrong, the Feye's method worked, but I was just so worried...will it come out even? It did...

So, no trims for me in 2011...one less thing to worry about. I wear it up 95% of the time anyway....:)

curlycrown
January 8th, 2011, 03:29 PM
I did my final cut in December when I shaved all of my hair off. Now I have a bit of hair that has grown back. Im so excited for this challenge.

jaine
January 8th, 2011, 04:20 PM
It's January 8, which means we made it through our first week :)
51 more of those and we'll be all set!

vintersaga
January 8th, 2011, 08:42 PM
Yay! Alrealy a week made! :cheese: Only 51 left. :D

sanfen
January 8th, 2011, 10:10 PM
When I joined the challenge when it was first posted, I mentioned that I needed a trim (to get rid of pointy ends) and then I didn't have a chance/$ to get it done so I didn't.

So, a couple of days ago, I trimmed the teeniest points off myself following Feye's method. It was almost like a S&D. With that said, I will extend my challenge to the end of Jan 2012. :) This should be very easy for me as I didn't trim since Dec of 2009.

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I feel better (and not guilty!) :rolleyes: And I am realllly happy I didn't spend any money! With a kid in his freshman year of college, things are tight, tight, tight!!!

Geez, what we do for our kids . . . in my case, gaining long hair by not spending money on haircuts. :p In my area, a good haircut, with tip, runs close to $100 (and probably why I am still getting compliments on that haircut a year later) That's a textbook, baby! :hollie:

Kaeita
January 9th, 2011, 05:18 AM
Is mid-January too late to join in?

My last cut was (I think) March or April 2010, and it's really crooked and needs fixing. Everything is flooded around here, and we're cut off from town, but luckily my mother's hairdresser lives this side of the water. Whether I can get to her though, depends on how much rain we have on a given day, and today there's been a lot. I plan to see her sometime this week.

MrsGuther
January 9th, 2011, 05:44 AM
Hmmmmmm I am seriously considering this challenge!!! I have a blunt hemline currently and I take pretty darn good care of my hair to make sure the ends do not get damaged hardly, so this might work for me! No trims in 2011 sounds good to me!!!

MrsGuther
January 9th, 2011, 05:45 AM

I like the way you are looking at it! Woohoo!! One week down and 51 more to go!!!! :cheese::cheese::cheese::cheese:

bunzfan
January 9th, 2011, 06:00 AM
I am wearing my hair up everyday and taking a daily photo they are on my profile, i am doing this in the hope it will stop the temptation to cut:p for some reason i keep doing braided updo's .

Aerith85
January 9th, 2011, 06:58 AM
Oooo cool Im in too its gonna be hard but Im just gonna come on here for support. Good luck everyone xx

soapstone
January 9th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Kaeita, of course you can join!!! The more the merrier.

mizsunshyne
January 10th, 2011, 06:54 AM
This is a great challenge because I am always tempted to cut my hair when I have had the same style for too long. This way, though, I will keep my hair's length and when I get the tiniest first trim in 2012, it's going to feel like a new 'do! :D

Igor
January 10th, 2011, 10:15 AM

Haha, I totally enjoyed that thought!

Hm, its now the 10th, so by now we have all grown 2,7% of the length we will get for no trims in 2011… :hmm:

jaine
January 10th, 2011, 10:29 AM
That is a nice way of looking at it too igor :)
Hopefully the next few months will fly by. I can't wait for spring because my hair grows so much faster in the spring and summer!!

CurlAhead
January 10th, 2011, 11:13 AM
Is it too late to join? Thought it would be easier if I joined the rest of you, so I am not all alone (...struggling to keep my hand off the scissors)

jaine
January 10th, 2011, 05:54 PM
Is it too late to join? Thought it would be easier if I joined the rest of you, so I am not all alone (...struggling to keep my hand off the scissors)

Join us!! :D i know I'll be struggling with the exact same thing soon once my haircut loses its shape...it's so tempting for me to try to "fix" it in the bathroom.

T.L.T.
January 10th, 2011, 06:01 PM
I'd like to join!

I don't trim very often anyways, but I'd like to go at least the next year with no trims.

What I usually do is let my hair grow from shoulder for about 6-8 months then cut it all off because it gets damaged. Now that I am caring for my hair, I want to grow it for 2011, then maybe get 1/2 to 1 in trims every 6 months.

Nordlys
January 10th, 2011, 06:40 PM
I would also like to join! I am aiming to reach waist length by the end of this year, so I will only use S&D. I still have some damaged ends to deal with, but I do not want to cut more. Last cut I had, in order to get rid of damage, was at the end of August and I took about 5 cm. I am at BSL now so I hope I reach waist at the end of the year !

Good luck to all of us :deal: !!

georgia_peach
January 11th, 2011, 06:32 AM
Hi All! My last trim was in November 2010, so I'm going to join the no trim in 2011 challenge. It's going to be a bit of a challenge as I'm growing out a pixie that I expect will get pretty shaggy!

Nordlys, love your avatar!

CurlAhead, How do you put the strike line through your first goal in your siggy? I'm hoping to reach earlobe length soon and want to be able to mark it off. Thanks!

emsahib
January 11th, 2011, 07:08 AM
I've actually just had a hair cut, but I'd like to join for the rest of the year. Wanted to get my ends evened up a little bit. I asked for 1/2 inch and the hairdresser at first held up what looked like about 3 inches! Then I corrected her, I think she ended up taking off 1 and 1/2. So now I'm not quite at APL. In some ways it feels like a step backwards, but there are other positives, I have layers and I want to grow these out, so the cut has helped with that. My ends have no spilts (not that they were that damaged anyway) and they're nice and even. Plus now I should definatly be able to go without a trim for a year :D

Rosepot
January 11th, 2011, 07:18 AM
Hey :) is this still open to join? I was wondering if it would be okay to still trim bangs (I like how they frame my face :love:), but not trim the rest of my hair (apart from search and destroy?)

Shicurls
January 11th, 2011, 08:35 AM
I think trimming bangs/fringe is totally fine! I really think that this is more of a support group than a hard and fast rules type of deal. :shrug: I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong! :)

ooo
January 11th, 2011, 08:39 AM
I think the deal is, S&D, fringe, bangs and face framing layers are ok.

jaine
January 11th, 2011, 11:21 AM
Hey :) is this still open to join? I was wondering if it would be okay to still trim bangs (I like how they frame my face :love:), but not trim the rest of my hair (apart from search and destroy?)

I think bang trimming and S&D are both fine!

Unfortunately for myself I have to go cold turkey and not trim any of it - I get way too tempted to trim all of it if I start trimming any of it. I'm allowing myself S&D, but only on hairs that are physically split, not just curled at the end or looking like it "might" split. I have to keep my OCD tendencies in check if I'm going to get past shoulder length.

The day I start trimming any part of my hair is a downward spiral into trimming every part of it, other day for weeks until several inches are gone and it's a misshapen mess that needs a professional haircut to get it fixed! It's not good! Luckily you probably don't have the same kind of temptation that I do!

Nordlys
January 11th, 2011, 01:15 PM

Thank you georgia_peach:flower:

dawnandxavier
January 11th, 2011, 01:17 PM
what is S&D? splits and damage, ok then, I'm in.

bunzfan
January 11th, 2011, 01:24 PM
Since my last trim last month which was the first in six month my hair really seems to be growing hopefully it won't be long before i am at mid back :D

ooo
January 11th, 2011, 01:34 PM
what is S&D? splits and damage, ok then, I'm in.

search and destroy :D search the splits and cut them of one by one.

Rosepot
January 11th, 2011, 04:04 PM
I think bang trimming and S&D are both fine!

Unfortunately for myself I have to go cold turkey and not trim any of it - I get way too tempted to trim all of it if I start trimming any of it. I'm allowing myself S&D, but only on hairs that are physically split, not just curled at the end or looking like it "might" split. I have to keep my OCD tendencies in check if I'm going to get past shoulder length.

The day I start trimming any part of my hair is a downward spiral into trimming every part of it, other day for weeks until several inches are gone and it's a misshapen mess that needs a professional haircut to get it fixed! It's not good! Luckily you probably don't have the same kind of temptation that I do!

Yay!!:D

Hehe I know what you mean, I'm still a bit scared to actually trust myself trimming..which makes the no trimming part easier.. bring it on :cheer:

LindainCO
January 11th, 2011, 07:20 PM
Am I too late?

Lol, I actually did a trim last week. I have found that I trim when I am feeling
insecure. I am dealing with double insecurities, I am older, and I feel like
long hair isn't as accepted for older women.....

Just the same, I would like to check in from time to time, and try not to trim at least for 6 months.

Bellatrix
January 11th, 2011, 07:57 PM
I'm doing this, but I will be trimming my bangs to maintain them. I've been trimming a lot in the past 3 years, and I'm just wanting all the length I can now :)

lacefrost
January 12th, 2011, 08:49 AM
I'm glad you guys said layers are okay because I had to cut a good half inch off. My hair was hard hard hard.

I also did a hue S&D the same day to get rid of a lot of single strand knots and a few splits.

Lize
January 13th, 2011, 03:37 AM
I think the deal is, S&D, fringe, bangs and face framing layers are ok.

Yup. :)

Welcome to all the newcomers! Don't worry, join this whenever you want.

Myself I have been very busy lately and my camera is not here with me at the moment so I haven't yet taken a "starting with this-picture". I'll do it as soon as I get my camera back from my dad. In the meantime I think I have measured my hair to see how long it will grow in a year. It's currently 23.6 inches or 60 cm. So this is my starting length at least. :)

13 days in! I have no urges to cut whatsoever yet.

freckles
January 13th, 2011, 04:54 AM
I accidently left my scissors at my dad's, so I won't be cutting for a while! :lol: Unfortunately, that also means I can't do S&D, and I still have a LOT of splits :( Eh ...

Oh, and even though I said I was only in until July, I am jealous of the companionship in this thread, and am tempted to join for the whole year :p My last trim was in October, which would mean a little over a year of not trimming, total. I'm still considering it, but I MAY join you guys PROPERLY.

Kaeita
January 13th, 2011, 05:23 AM
Ok, I've had my "trim", so I'm in - went from 50cm to 43cm, so a fair bit more than I was intending, but the hairdresser said that it was very uneven, at least an inch shorter on one side, with an inverted V in the back, and it was shredded where the layers were cut with a razor, so a lot had to come off. The good part is, my ends are far softer now, so I'm content. It's slightly too short to keep up in the clip I've been using, but it shouldn't take long to get back to the length I was at. I'm still wrestling with chopping the lot off, but hopefully this challenge will keep my hair attached long enough to get a bit of real length. For now, I'm working on keeping the ends soft, so I'm not tempted to trim again.

My hair is way too short for S&D, I can't see the ends without going cross-eyed, so that's no good to me, hehe. What are the chances my hair will last till the end of the year with no trimming at all? I didn't trim last year, except for my disastrous cut in March, and it wasn't too bad.

Roscata
January 13th, 2011, 09:02 AM
Although I haven't trimmed in about 3 months already, I am really excited to see how long my hair will get. I have been tempted to trim lately, but I think that's because I tend to rebel against any "have to-s" even if I impose them myself haha. :D

I'm excited to see if I get fairytale ends, I've been looking at the Show me your fairytale endngs (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=10634&highlight=show+fairytale) thread for inspiration, so many beautiful photos. I'm even considering leaving my layers alone for an undetermined period. Although they do make it difficult to braid or bun, they look pretty sweet when my hair is down. So we'll see.

I hope everyone in this challenge enjoys their journey this wonderful year and I hope we all gain lots and lots of length. :D :cheese:

thriftesfai
January 13th, 2011, 10:12 AM
Count me in! This is exactly what I wanted to do this year, I'm so excited! :D

Ravenwaves 88
January 15th, 2011, 10:12 PM
First pic of the year......13th month of no trims. Going for 24 months and Tailbone by christmas.

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss334/Ravenwaves88/2%20years%20of%20hair%20growth/DSCF4461.jpg

LHCMAN
January 16th, 2011, 12:59 AM
Count me in…

Igor
January 16th, 2011, 01:48 AM
*Raises hand*
I have a question. Does everyone have a system for S&D?
I put all the beneficial Morocco Method dates in my calendar and will try to follow them. This means that about twice a week or so I will give my ends a quick looking over.
I don’t do a whole big session every time, I pretty much just look for any damaged ends popping out of my braid.

Finoriel
January 16th, 2011, 05:32 AM
I may be in, too. I just had one annual trim in January 2010 and have not trimmed since. Atm I'm debating to either do another trim this January and grow again for a year. Or to not trim at all and see where/when I hit terminal. Which should be very close, when looking at my taper :undecided
In general I'm curios to see where terminal is on me, but my thin ends bug me so I'm not sure if I really want to see how my hair is at terminal kwim. They are not split or breaking, it's just the natural slow fairytaling into nonexistence the closer I come to knee.

CurlAhead
January 16th, 2011, 09:37 AM
Join us!! :D i know I'll be struggling with the exact same thing soon once my haircut loses its shape...it's so tempting for me to try to "fix" it in the bathroom.

Yay, thank you! :cheese:
Yeah! Me too! But I think I ended up making it just worse :(

Hi All! My last trim was in November 2010, so I'm going to join the no trim in 2011 challenge. It's going to be a bit of a challenge as I'm growing out a pixie that I expect will get pretty shaggy!

CurlAhead, How do you put the strike line through your first goal in your siggy? I'm hoping to reach earlobe length soon and want to be able to mark it off. Thanks!

I put [ s ] insert word here [ / s ] so it looks like this when you remove the spaces between the "symbols" insert word here

First pic of the year......13th month of no trims. Going for 24 months and Tailbone by christmas.

http://i589.photobucket.com/albums/ss334/Ravenwaves88/2%20years%20of%20hair%20growth/DSCF4461.jpg

Your hair looks wonderful, so shiny, and the color! :eek: Is it henna, chemical dye or your own color?

Ravenwaves 88
January 16th, 2011, 10:55 AM
Your hair looks wonderful, so shiny, and the color! :eek: Is it henna, chemical dye or your own color?

It's henna over naturally dark brown hair. In fact I'm going to henna my hair today!

ooo
January 16th, 2011, 11:03 AM
*Raises hand*
I put all the beneficial Morocco Method dates in my calendar and will try to follow them. This means that about twice a week or so I will give my ends a quick looking over.
I don’t do a whole big session every time, I pretty much just look for any damaged ends popping out of my braid.

*bump*
never did S&D in my life.

-j-
January 17th, 2011, 03:00 AM
We have only 50 weeks left! :D

impaciente1981
January 17th, 2011, 04:12 AM
I also am going to try this challenge though I know that I am going to suffer when my caps looks horrible :S

Guinevere
January 17th, 2011, 04:27 AM
Count me in! xD
Originally I was planning for a 2-years of no trimming but starting to have doubts whether I can do it or not.. (_ _'')
Nice to know there's a few people who wants to do the same thing! :D

Shicurls
January 17th, 2011, 08:12 AM
Ravenwaves 88 your hair is so beautiful and shiny!! I love it!

Okay, so I'm facing tangling, knotted ends. I try to see my ends as best as I can and from what I can see they aren't split. ( My hair is layered from cheek length to shoulder length. ) Am I facing splits and simply don't know it? Do any of you have any suggestions for combatting the tangles?

Thanks!

lookingglass
January 17th, 2011, 08:19 AM
I'm in as well! I had only gotten a "real" trim about 3 times in the past 10 years, but I had "long layers" cut in and went from nearly classic length to just about BSL!:( No trims this year (only S&D) and only self trims (Feye's method, most likely) after that!!!:pumpkin:

Lize
January 17th, 2011, 01:58 PM
*Raises hand*

I do it as often as I have time. Especially if my hair starts to feel tangly I know it's time, because my hair doesn't really tangle unless I have splits. I am too busy now to have a system. I could never follow it anyway. :)

Shicurls
January 17th, 2011, 02:51 PM
Okay the tangles are driving me nuts today!!! ARGGGHHH!!! I may need to recruit my mom to do the tiniest of tiny trims on my ends. A dusting really. It simply isn't long enough for me to S&D yet, and she generally takes off the littlest amount possible. I'm still in, but I want to protect my ends, so the splits don't travel!

akuamoonmaui
January 17th, 2011, 03:44 PM
Okay so who has a devil on one shoulder saying, "It's okay..... if you trim only you will know...." and an angel on the other shoulder shaking her head and saying, "But it's your resolution.... and you will know....."

Or is that just me?

phistash
January 17th, 2011, 03:52 PM
I've decided to join this thread. I trimmed twice in the past 3 months, and lost about 4 inches. However, my hemline was really ratty prior to trimming, so now it at least looks decent when I wear it down.

However, I have about 10" before waist, so I'm vowing not to trim at all this year. Unless I accidentally glue my hair together.

tinti
January 17th, 2011, 05:25 PM
I am a bit tempted to cut to one-lenght but that means loosing A LOT of lenght (Shoulder to waist), and I'm not going to do it :p Also, I have found that if my hair looks ok in May when my 1 year ends and I decide to continue to not trim throughout the whole year, my shortest layers will be very close to APL in December If I'm a 6 inch a year-growth-person :D But I tried measuring without a measuring tape so don't take my word for it.

Shicurls
January 17th, 2011, 10:13 PM
Okay, so I approached my mom with scissors today exclaiming that I NEED those pesky tangly ends dusted! She, all-knowing woman that she is, looked/examined my ends and said, "They are perfect!" So, down went the scissors and I went off to find some EVOO to smooth onto my ends. Phew! Crisis averted!!

My mom used to have hip length hair and knows all about dusting and S&D ing!

I'm assuming that my tangling ends have more to do with their varying lengths and the fact that my hair is longer than it's been in two years. Yay for growth!

fluffybunny
January 17th, 2011, 11:44 PM
Ok, I'm in!

leslissocool
January 18th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Ok, I am actually joining this thread! After debating for a while, I decided that thanks to henna I have barely any split ends and that I actually want to see what my hair will look like without all over layers, and just FF layers (my fellow LHCer who is a hairstylist will so it, so it won't be all too dramatic).
So i haven't been around LHC due to exercising as much as possible and taking care of my kids.. I hope that helps the itch to trim!

grrlshapedthing
January 18th, 2011, 01:22 AM
18 days in and my itch to trim is fading.., some of my layers look longer and that makes me happy

Shicurls
January 18th, 2011, 09:54 AM
The urge to snip faded after I did a lovely overnight MN/Castor Oil scalp oiling! I am going to do an SMT and call it"good". It's been since November when I had my last trim. I ALWAYS feel the urge to "even up" the varying end lengths.

soapstone
January 18th, 2011, 10:02 AM
shicurls my ends get snaggely when my hair needs clarify and a deep treatment both.
I'm still growing, glad this is on the first page.
I know I will check in and give reasons why I need to trim.

Talk me down. :D

Lize
January 18th, 2011, 10:29 AM
Finally got myself together and posted a picture of what I am starting with in the social group. 18 days too late though, so maybe my challenge has to go on until January 18th.... :D

moonlight
January 18th, 2011, 10:31 AM
I'll join!

I think I only did one trim last year, so this year, NONE! :)

jaine
January 18th, 2011, 10:50 AM
Welcome to everyone who joined! :)
My ends are feeling a lot less dry after I got a humidifer. My nose and throat are pretty happy about it too. Very useful purchase.

Shicurls
January 18th, 2011, 11:25 AM
Soapstone thanks for the encouragement and the info! I'll talk you away from the scissors! We can do this!!

kdaniels8811
January 18th, 2011, 11:30 AM
No problem for me, my hair is barely two inches long and no one is coming near me with scissors! Grow, dammit, grow!!

rose.grace
January 18th, 2011, 04:03 PM
Unless I accidentally glue my hair together.:laugh:

Hello fellow non-trimmers :waving:I'm in. I'm joining you all on this journey. Everyone I know who has super long hair goes for years without trimming it and it actually gets longer faster. Go figure! :rolleyes:

It's not going to be easy for me so I'm glad you started this thread. I'll need help in the future and hope I can help you all resist, too. :toast:

lacefrost
January 18th, 2011, 05:28 PM
My ends are finally softening up. If you have hard water, I definitely recommend getting a filtered showerhead. They're only like 30 bucks and make a huge difference. I was doing a lot of baking soda and vinegar rinses and they were really softening my hair up. So I realized I must've been having buildup from the water.

rose.grace
January 18th, 2011, 05:30 PM
My ends are finally softening up. If you have hard water, I definitely recommend getting a filtered showerhead. They're only like 30 bucks and make a huge difference. I was doing a lot of baking soda and vinegar rinses and they were really softening my hair up. So I realized I must've been having buildup from the water.I want to get one but am afraid. I live in an apt building and I have no "professional" or just plain old handyman to install it for me. I'm afraid I'll either buy the wrong one (I have to order on line, especially in winter) and have to return it or get the right one and end up drowning myself in gushing water (like in the movies) that I can't stop. I have no knowledge of plumbing.

lacefrost
January 18th, 2011, 06:06 PM
rose.grace (laughs) I love the image of water sprouting from everywhere! It's pretty simple to change it, it's like screwing the cap on and off a bottle of water. So if you can do that, you can change your shower head. And shower heads seem to be standard. I've lived in old buildings and new buildings and just bought shower heads by what they did and they always fit. Worst case scenario you can ask one of your friends to help you. Many people have changed a shower head at least once in their life.

Shicurls
January 18th, 2011, 06:30 PM
lacefrost I'm glad that you figured out a solution for your crunchy/stiff ends! Yay!

jaine
January 18th, 2011, 06:41 PM
I love shower filters too!! An adjustable wrench helps if the old one is screwed on really tight (mine was), but other than that it's easy.

constantki
January 18th, 2011, 06:43 PM
So far so good :)

rose.grace
January 18th, 2011, 11:54 PM
Ok, what kind of shower head should I get, or what kind of filter? Where do you get them?

impaciente1981
January 19th, 2011, 05:47 AM
I am interested in it. I also want to buy one of this

RedheadMistress
January 19th, 2011, 06:30 AM
- I haven't trimmed in more than 3 years (lost count) but sure I'm up for this *challenge* !

Anyone else here that hasn't trimmed in a very long time ?

I go hunting/S&D:ing when I'm by my laptop, good thing the LHC forum is such light colours, makes the split ends easy to find ;)

moonlight
January 19th, 2011, 12:45 PM
Welcome to everyone who joined! :)
My ends are feeling a lot less dry after I got a humidifer. My nose and throat are pretty happy about it too. Very useful purchase.

AHA! that's gotta be it....I've been having strangely good/clumpy waves and my ends look pretty good lately.

It just occured to me that I've been simmering water on the stove nearly round the clock to get the humidity up because the dry winter air is really bugging my poor kittycat. I guess my hair is benefitting from it too!

I should just buy a real humidifier, huh? ;)

rose.grace
January 19th, 2011, 12:51 PM
AHA! that's gotta be it....I've been having strangely good/clumpy waves and my ends look pretty good lately.

It just occured to me that I've been simmering water on the stove nearly round the clock to get the humidity up because the dry winter air is really bugging my poor kittycat. I guess my hair is benefitting from it too!

I should just buy a real humidifier, huh? ;)If it uses tap water or if you're rich. I can't afford 5 gallons of distilled water every day and when my poor old pan gets all that white lime on it I just clean it with baking soda and vinegar. Comes right off. Someday I'll find an official humidifyer that uses tap water. I had one many moons ago and loved it. (Cool mist)

Rocket22
January 19th, 2011, 12:51 PM
- I haven't trimmed in more than 3 years (lost count) but sure I'm up for this *challenge* !

I go hunting/S&D:ing when I'm by my laptop, good thing the LHC forum is such light colours, makes the split ends easy to find ;)

Oh wow!! Im not a huge trimmer ( I didn't think so anyway) but I'm 5 months now and feel like I kinda need a trim, I always think "oh but it will look soooo much thicker, but I'm going to stick with what someone has said before on this forum, better to have long fine hair then short fine hair... or something like that :)

Joliebaby
January 19th, 2011, 12:54 PM
Well, I really want to get to waist before I start trimming, or actually past waist, so I'll never be shorter than waist once I get there :) So I guess I should join. I didn't trim all last year, and then got a 1" trim.
I want to get rid of my layers but at this point they start at APL. I'll start to trim them off once I get to waist. i know I'll be tempted to just lop it off to all one length, but I can't bear to lose those inches!!! Stupid layers. Plus I have bangs and color to grow out. At least I won't run out of "projects" to obsess over.

Rocket22
January 19th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Well, I really want to get to waist before I start trimming, or actually past waist, so I'll never be shorter than waist once I get there :) So I guess I should join. I didn't trim all last year, and then got a 1" trim.
I want to get rid of my layers but at this point they start at APL. I'll start to trim them off once I get to waist. i know I'll be tempted to just lop it off to all one length, but I can't bear to lose those inches!!! Stupid layers. Plus I have bangs and color to grow out. At least I won't run out of "projects" to obsess over.

Oh I hear ya I have "layers" well they are more breakage and I HATE them.. I don't have thick hair at all!!! and I need every hair to make my hair fuller. My breakage starts about sholders so I have forever to go :(

haibane
January 19th, 2011, 04:29 PM

I think my last cut was in 2006 (pretty big cut, like 8 inches) but I don't remember for sure either. :p
I'll join this thread as well. :) I have decided though that if my (very thin!) ends start to crumble so bad my hair gets shorter it might be time for a proper trim. Right now I'm pretty much stalling, but I saw other people said this happened to them too getting past TB, so I'm holding out for a while longer.

Igor
January 19th, 2011, 04:54 PM
The 26th is a Morocco Method beautifying date. Anyone want to join me in some S&Ding? :wink:

ooo
January 19th, 2011, 04:55 PM
The 26th is a Morocco Method beautifying date. Anyone want to join me in some S&Ding? :wink:

No way :cool:

kitten1986
January 19th, 2011, 06:19 PM
OMG joliebaby!!!!!
your hair is amazingly thick..... so jealous!!!!!

I gave up and trimmed last night I had sooo many splits and I was feeling the s&d was futile! I took off about 1cm which helped abit, but my layers are all split too :S But I am woking on growing out the layers...

My hair has also been falling out at an alarming rate lately, I just moved interstate and I am quite stressed with some other things in my life, so I think this is probably the cause I have just been trying to not think about it too much and put it up and out of the way most of the time.

But I would still like to be a part of the no trims challenge... even though i already cheated eep!

lacefrost
January 19th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Ok, what kind of shower head should I get, or what kind of filter? Where do you get them?

I am interested in it. I also want to buy one of this

Go to a place that sells shower stuff, look at their showerheads and pick one that says "filtered." I randomly searched on target and got this: http://www.target.com/Culligan-Wall-Mounted-Filtered-Showerhead-Massage/dp/B0006VVN1S/ I like to keep it simple but I know there are prolly more expensive ones with massage options or ones that are eco flow. Basically choose whatever showerhead sounds good to you. I look for one where I can twist it for different ways of the water coming out and has a strong water pressure.

Shicurls
January 20th, 2011, 07:37 AM
Okay I caved and dusted my ends a bit. They were soooo tangly! Now my hair feels much better and you can't even tell that I took off some of the ends. Because my hair is short and difficult to S&D right now, I had my mom just lightly dust the ends. For me, that's gonna have to count as an S&D.

And Igor I wish I had held out long enough for the 26th. I'm really curious about the Morocco Method of trimming. Let us know how it goes!

Nusia82
January 20th, 2011, 07:45 AM
ok i can do it too! no trims in 2011....
I'm not worry about my hair looking horrible, they already do :D... just a little about split ends

rose.grace
January 20th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Go to a place that sells shower stuff, look at their showerheads and pick one that says "filtered." I randomly searched on target and got this: http://www.target.com/Culligan-Wall-Mounted-Filtered-Showerhead-Massage/dp/B0006VVN1S/ I like to keep it simple but I know there are prolly more expensive ones with massage options or ones that are eco flow. Basically choose whatever showerhead sounds good to you. I look for one where I can twist it for different ways of the water coming out and has a strong water pressure.

Thanks for the link! And this one will fit in any shower? Sorry I keep asking about that, but the plumbing nightmare keeps recurring.

How often do you have to replace them?

Lil Red Vampire
January 20th, 2011, 12:36 PM
Ok, I haven't been around much and I haven't read all the threads but...I have always heard, you should always trim your hair to keep it healthy. I have heard that ALL my life. Well trimming is why my hair is BSL and not WSL. No one can just graze the ends.

I have to say, my hair is on the dry side and the ends will split so I am concerned about going without trims.

Now just a few weeks ago, I read (or saw it on TV) a professional stylist said "if you want to grow your hair, don't cut it!"......WTF? Has a professional ever said that?

I am very excited about this for two reasons. One, gonna slow down or have NO trims and 2, hubby got laid off and gives me another excuse to break off my relationship with my stylist for a bit...LOL

What does everyone do to really keep the ends in tact? SMT's? Other deep conditions?

I have read briefly about the CO's but I have dry hair but a normal scalp so not sure.....

Lil Red Vampire
January 20th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Morocco Method of trimming.

what is this?? I am curious....

Muse
January 20th, 2011, 02:21 PM
The Morrocco method is a calendar. On certain days you can cut your hair so it will gain more length or thicken and some other stuff. Or so it says. ;) Here is a link. (https://morroccomethod.com/lunar-hair-chart)

It is very tempting to join you guys. My last cut was in October or November last year. I don't think I will make a full year. My ends already look awful. I bought some hair wax to protect my ends for now.

lacefrost
January 21st, 2011, 07:49 AM
Thanks for the link! And this one will fit in any shower? Sorry I keep asking about that, but the plumbing nightmare keeps recurring.

How often do you have to replace them?

I'm pretty sure all showers fit a standard so as long as you're living in the US all showerheads made in the US will work. With the filtered showerhead all you have to replace is the actual filter. I'm not exactly sure how frequently, probably once every few months.

soapstone
January 21st, 2011, 07:59 AM
Aveno smooth and shine to the ends helps alot. A Keeper.;)

rose.grace
January 21st, 2011, 12:56 PM
I'm pretty sure all showers fit a standard so as long as you're living in the US all showerheads made in the US will work. With the filtered showerhead all you have to replace is the actual filter. I'm not exactly sure how frequently, probably once every few months.Thanks, lacefrost! :)

summerjade
January 21st, 2011, 01:14 PM
Count me in on this no cutting for a year. I have the same problem. I trim often to try to keep those ends straight and healthy looking, but cannot get any growth by doing so. I know hair on the average grows about 1/2 inch per month. I want to get to grow 6 inches this year so I can't cut any if I want that growth. I just had 1 whole inch cut, so maybe I can make it. I am going to do it!!! I will keep telling myself that, and with this support group , I can do it. If we can keep this challenge and not cut our hair, by the end of the year we can trim about 1/2 inch and have healthy hair then, and still have 5 1/2 inches new growth instead of losing 1/2 inch about every 3 months (like i have been doing) which would cause me to lose 2 whole inches this year.

Saila_
January 21st, 2011, 01:35 PM
I'm definitely a part of this challenge. :cheese:

McFearless
January 22nd, 2011, 05:35 PM
Hopefully everyone is holding up okay:)

I occasionally get the urge to trim but I've had someone hid my shears and I'm too afraid to have it done at a salon.......soo...no trims for me! My hair has definately gotten longer since the beginning of the year. :)

PiroskaCicu
January 22nd, 2011, 09:31 PM
Hi, I just had a very tiny, mini micro trim...my hair is the same length still, just without a few splits. hehe...hope I'm still in the 'club' :)

Amraann
January 22nd, 2011, 09:39 PM
Question??

Is S & D permitted as part of the no trimming club?

jaine
January 22nd, 2011, 09:41 PM
3 weeks in already ... go us! :D

I'm pretty much on autopilot now that I've figured out what my hair likes. I have a nice heat-free drying method that gives me a shape that doesn't annoy me. I have a silk sleeping bonnet. I have a humidifier. I'm pretty much armed for any trimming temptation that comes my way.

eta: Amraann - yes.

rosek
January 22nd, 2011, 10:31 PM
Jaine, I saw the humidifier reccommended by an older member. Do you find it is improving your hair/skin condition in the winter?

Its summer where I live right now, but I'm interested in trying one in winter.

grrlshapedthing
January 23rd, 2011, 12:52 AM
I just wanted to say I'm heading out tomorrow on a camping trip till the end of the month, so this month is pretty much in the bag for no trimming! I'll checking in when I get back. I have also decided not to trim my fringe... too much temptation when the scissors are right there....

Saila_
January 23rd, 2011, 12:58 AM
I'm glad S&D are allowed because if I ever so happen to see a tapered end, I have to chop it off! I think this ultimately reduces the need for trims.

freckles
January 23rd, 2011, 05:43 AM
I can't even S&D right now (or for several weeks probably) because I left my scissors at my dad's house. Argh!! My hair is very split prone, and right now very split. Nevermind, it still seems to be growing, I think I can brave it out. It's been about 3 months since my last trim. I think I'm now tentatively considering myself part of this club, though I'll re-assess in the summer! I might even join the group :)

bunzfan
January 23rd, 2011, 08:20 AM
I have given myself a updo challenge as it will help to stop me trimming, saying that i can't bear to have my hair down i think i have worn it up every day now since July 2010.

Doxie
January 23rd, 2011, 09:07 AM
I starting this and am very excited to see how long my hair will grow, when given proper care, in a year. I actually have one my "101 in 1001 days" list that I won't have any big hair cuts for the 1001 days. I don't know if that will happen but I'm going to try. I usually can't go 6-8 months without messing with my hair.

Sundial
January 23rd, 2011, 09:17 AM
I just wanted to say I'm heading out tomorrow on a camping trip till the end of the month, so this month is pretty much in the bag for no trimming! I'll checking in when I get back. I have also decided not to trim my fringe... too much temptation when the scissors are right there....

I've just decided to do that too since I am scissors-happy. I keep having urges to trim, but I know I don't need it. It's more out of habit than necessity.

jaine
January 23rd, 2011, 09:53 AM
I'm also avoiding bang trims for the same reason ... it would be too tempting to cut the surrounding hair. I only know how to cut bangs that are blended into the surrounding hair.

Princess Avalon
January 23rd, 2011, 10:39 AM
I already haven't trimmed since dec. 2009 not on purpose, but bc that is when i had the last of the damage cut out of my hair and i can't afford to get it cut at a salon. Did my first S+ D the other day, only found about 8 splits, not sure if thats normal, but i have hair that is relatively healthy as ive never been one for much blowfrying, or chemicals or other harmful styling methods, have used hairspray twice in the last year and maybe blowdried once. so i plan to continue no trimming in 2011. I only have about 5 inches or so until hip, so hopefully I will get there by the end of the year. Good luck everyone!:cheese:

Guinevere
January 24th, 2011, 07:22 AM
Yay! So many people joined!
Btw, testing the "No Trims in 2011" Signature Pic!

craftybunn
January 24th, 2011, 07:41 AM
We are very close to the end of the first month! How's everybody doing? One twelfth of the way there, right?

skaempfer
January 24th, 2011, 07:43 AM
So far so good, but we may have to start a tangent list in a couple of months when our scissor fingers start to itch: 101 things you can do to change your hair without permanently altering it.

rose.grace
January 24th, 2011, 08:16 AM
I have determined that no scissor in any form will come near my hair this year. So far so good. Every time I cut even one little tiny hair I go into a deep depression and it bugs me.:crazyq: I should try to find a hair-psycho forum, lol. But no trims or S&D is working for me. The NW/SO has been working so well I doubt I'll be tempted or need it. I've been having some good days.

We can make it! One month nearly down as Craftybunn pointed out and we're going strong! Only 11 more to go/grow. It will be so worth it when we all have more length than we would have had if we'd succumbed. And more than the trimmers :eyebrows:

Nae
January 24th, 2011, 08:30 AM
Staying strong over here!! Haven't even thought about cutting.

Guinevere
January 24th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Same here! No urges to go near the scissors. ^^

ooo
January 24th, 2011, 08:41 AM
Same here! No urges to go near the scissors. ^^

Same here. I think it's going to be so easy! :)

jaine
January 24th, 2011, 09:08 AM
So far so good, but we may have to start a tangent list in a couple of months when our scissor fingers start to itch: 101 things you can do to change your hair without permanently altering it.

That is a good good idea...

When I get there I'll probably be wearing my hair more curly. A tighter wave pattern looks less "cowlicky" on me and all of my cutting temptations so far have come from cowlicks. Cowlick is really just a wave that's not long enough to show the full wave pattern, and I normally dry it in a way that loosens my wave pattern.

Amraann
January 24th, 2011, 10:08 AM
I really do not know the last time I trimmed my hair but I do S & D about once a month. (Maybe last March?)
I plan to stick with no trims this year and hopefully lesson the S & D's as well:)

Saila_
January 24th, 2011, 12:53 PM
I can't believe January is almost over! I am not tempted to trim my hair at all any more. A few months ago though, it was terrible because of the awkward phase. I'm still in an awkward phase, of course, but it's getting better. I will eventually want a cut, but I will live with a haphazard cut until I have some length.

I think my hair is growing pretty fast. :) I'm not sure though.

CarpeDM
January 24th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Oh boy, it has only been a couple of months since my last trim and I'm already starting to get itchy when I start looking at my ends, I hope I can make it...:drama:

skaempfer
January 24th, 2011, 02:05 PM
I really do not know the last time I trimmed my hair but I do S & D about once a month. (Maybe last March?)
I plan to stick with no trims this year and hopefully lesson the S & D's as well:)

You s&d once a month? Are you sure you're neurotic enough to qualify for this group? ;)
I s&d about every 10 minutes!

GrowingGlory
January 24th, 2011, 02:26 PM
Getting a little itchy. It's been almost three months since my last cut, with no trims since. Ends look and feel better since I've been brushing daily. Need to wear hair up or back because every time that I notice a split end, I subconsciously seek scissors. Hair fall removes them, too. I just need to muster up some patience. Overall, my hair is in excellent health and grows quite evenly, so I don't really need a haircut.
One season down, three to go.

McFearless
January 24th, 2011, 03:05 PM
Jaine, I saw the humidifier reccommended by an older member. Do you find it is improving your hair/skin condition in the winter?

Its summer where I live right now, but I'm interested in trying one in winter.

I use a humidifier for other reasons but I've noticed softer skin on my face because of it. I assume it would work to same for hair.

McFearless
January 24th, 2011, 03:08 PM
You s&d once a month? Are you sure you're neurotic enough to qualify for this group? ;)
I s&d about every 10 minutes!

LOL me too. I might as well attach my scissors to a necklace.

Saila_
January 24th, 2011, 07:34 PM
LOL me too. I might as well attach my scissors to a necklace.

Ahhh! S&D impulsions! :cheese:

I was staring at this girls hair and I really wanted to S&D her split ends! She had so many! :eek: I might have a problem.

skaempfer
January 24th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Ahhh! S&D impulsions! :cheese:

I was staring at this girls hair and I really wanted to S&D her split ends! She had so many! :eek: I might have a problem.

Not 'problem,' 'gift.'
It's all in the vocabulary.

Saila_
January 24th, 2011, 10:34 PM
Haha! You're right...

brista
January 24th, 2011, 10:51 PM
I was staring at this girls hair and I really wanted to S&D her split ends! She had so many! I might have a problem.

S&D confuses me. I don't think I have any split ends because I don't see any but I mean...I must have some, right?? Everybody must have some!

Saila_
January 24th, 2011, 10:59 PM
S&D confuses me. I don't think I have any split ends because I don't see any but I mean...I must have some, right?? Everybody must have some!

Maybe your hair is perfect! :) You don't notice any tapered ends? I usually compare the end of the hair to the middle of it to see if it's thinner/broken off.

Mesmerise
January 24th, 2011, 11:24 PM

As a kid with virgin hair, I remember people talking about split ends in their hair, and I had no idea what they were cause I'd never seen any ;) My hair never ever seemed to split until I got older and started doing damaging stuff to it! Even now I don't get masses of them despite dye/straightening etc. So maybe you're just lucky and only have such a very few that you really don't notice them?

I find they're easier to see if I'm outside in the sunlight!

ooo
January 25th, 2011, 03:30 AM
I don't have any split ends either. My hair is just too short and healthy for that. Maybe split ends are going to be a problem, once the hair gets longer.

freckles
January 25th, 2011, 03:31 AM
Maybe your hair is perfect! :) You don't notice any tapered ends? I usually compare the end of the hair to the middle of it to see if it's thinner/broken off.

Tapered ends aren't (usually? maybe sometimes? I'm not sure) splits -- they're 'never cut' hair ends!

brista -- it's quite possible you just have no, or very few, splits! Mine are glaringly obvious, I certainly don't need to 'learn' to find them. So, congratulations!