PDA

View Full Version : Wish I would've known...& a question for you all

abritta3
November 1st, 2010, 07:35 PM
I wish I would've known in high school that I didn't have to hack off 6" of my curls to get healthier hair...
I have been trying to grow back ever since...(4yrs later!)
I have been cutting/trimming/experimenting for 4years and just came to the conclusion this past Spring that it's time to just leave it be!
I realize now that every time I see a split or damaged end I don't have to run for the scissors.
I have been growing out damaged ends for 6months now...they're not too bad and I baby them quite often. I haven't trimmed (not even once) since May.
I do believe I will trim my hair around March but even then I don't plan on trimming off more than a 1/2".
AND NOW for the question:
Is this method ok? I am babying the ends with lots of coconut/jojoba oils, deep conditioning treatments (2x a month) and I use a protein conditioner once a week on my hair (especially on the ends). I also air dry.
Am I being careful enough?
Opinions and advice are most certainly desired!
Thanks!:D

JulietCapulet
November 1st, 2010, 07:42 PM
Oh wow! That's too bad. Yes don't cut tons of it all off again. Just don't blow dry, perm, chemically straighten, dye or flat iron. Also eat really well and exercise for best results!

Feng-Shui
November 1st, 2010, 07:45 PM
I thinks you makes a good work.

Your hair is very curly and too much protein can your hair drain.

I makes it in such a way which I very much protein with the food my hair gives from the inside.

I give humidity from the outside on my hair much.

I give protein from the outside not often on my hair.

Protein is better something for damaged hair around the humidity to keep.:)

christine1989
November 1st, 2010, 08:14 PM
I would suggest S&D because the only thing to do with split ends IS to run for the scissors. S&D will get rid of the splits slowly, one by one so you will lose the splits but not the length. It is pretty tedious but in time you will see your ends improve greatly. Also be sure your hair needs protien because it can be damaging if your hair type does not need it.

abritta3
November 1st, 2010, 08:33 PM
how do I make sure my hair needs protein? I have read that most curly types do but I'd like to be positive.

Vermelha
November 1st, 2010, 08:47 PM
how do I make sure my hair needs protein? I have read that most curly types do but I'd like to be positive.

That's not necessarily true. There are many curlies who opt not to use protein and prefer moisture to keep their curls soft and manageable. If your hair IS breaking, then by all means, get a treatment, or just go ahead and trim it off (because there is NO cure or remedy for splits). The best way to get rid of breakage is to prevent it, if that makes sense.

The one fact about curly hair is that it tends to be drier because the oils do not travel along the hair shaft as well, and the cuticles tend to be more lifted than straighter hair textures. Oiling regularly, Apple Cider Vinegar (and other acidic rinses), as well as removing sulfates from your regime help with this, but to each their own.

Yes, protein is good every now and again, but the hair always needs balance. Excessive protein applied to the hair causes curls to become brittle, hard to detangle and dry. It's best to consume your proteins in lean meats, veggies and legumes, as well as vitamins (which have amino acids that help promote healthier hair), to promote stronger hair from the inside out.

Just my two cents :)

Vermelha
November 1st, 2010, 08:52 PM

Might I add, if your hair needs protein, you'll tell by shorter strands laying around when you brush or comb your hair. That's breakage. You can also tell by pulling a shed strand and seeing if pieces break off.

Also, the hair can become weak not because it needs protein, but it could have a lack of moisture, which keeps the hair elastic.

abritta3
November 1st, 2010, 08:52 PM
Thank you Vermelha! Very informative. :D I appreciate the feedback

Vermelha
November 1st, 2010, 08:54 PM
Thank you Vermelha! Very informative. :D I appreciate the feedback

No problem ;) Hope I don't come off like a stern school teacher or anything :p I just have dabbled in quite a bit of hair care info and experiments.