PDA

View Full Version : Vitamin Suggestions?

abritta3
November 1st, 2010, 05:58 PM
Hi all. I currently do not have a vitamin regimen at all and was wondering what types of vitamins you all take & or suggest for hair?
PS I am on a college budget so inexpensive will work best for me;)
Thanks!

Vermelha
November 1st, 2010, 06:10 PM
I feel you. I'm a recent college grad, and I bought all my vitamins on a TIGHT budget myself.

I purchased Biotin and MSM. Both aren't all that expensive. My MSM, 1,000 mg, was like $9 for 120 count at Walmart. Biotin was like $7. In fact, I took a break from MSM, but I'm going to take it again this month.

I also would suggest a multivitamin (doesn't matter which kind) with B-vitamins. Biotin works better with all the B-vitamins included (since it technically is a B-vitamin). If not, you could risk your skin breaking out.

Another cheap route is eating lots of very healthy foods, green leafy veggies and legumes and drinking lots of water. Exercise also helps your body absorb these vitamins.

HTH!

DreadfulWoman
November 1st, 2010, 06:22 PM
I found a good thread about this just the other day: Bargello's Vitamin Regimen - Reposted! (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=83&highlight=faster+growth)

RubyEmpress
November 1st, 2010, 06:53 PM
I take a multivitamin, calcium w/ vitamin D3, fish oil, and B-complex daily. I've noticed more energy and some new growth!

Raekwon
November 1st, 2010, 07:12 PM
Saw Palmetto (Take 320-400 mg daily of an 85 percent liposterolic extract)

Vitamin B12, Iron, and Zinc (Take 30 mg of zinc daily along with 3 mg of copper)

Biotin, Folic Acid, and Inositol (My friend takes two 5,000 mcg Biotin pills per day for maximal results... 1 pill in the morning, 1 pill before going to bed. Excess Biotin gets peed out anyway)

oh and these are pics of his hair, he's been having 10,000 mcg of Biotin per day for a year now:

http://img149.imageshack.us/img149/7569/dscn0994x.jpg
http://img101.imageshack.us/img101/1606/dscn0997n.jpg
http://img716.imageshack.us/img716/294/dscn0987g.jpg

[He told me Biotin made his hair thick.]

Essential Fatty Acids - Take 4,000 mg of fish oil or 1-2 tablespoons of organic freshly ground flaxseed.

MSM contains the mineral sulfur, which helps promote hair development. Take 3,000 mg daily.

Silica - 500 mg two time daily

Rosemary Essential Oil = To one ounce of organic shampoo add 3 to 5 drops

Retane is a natural botanical formula that contains 8 unique herbal ingredients and vitamins shown to be effective in stopping hair loss and promoting new growth. A recent clinical study showed that 86% of men and women using Retane had stopped their hair loss and shedding within 4 weeks of treatment. As you get older your hair and scalp changes structure. When this happens its nutritional needs change. Retane is fills this gap by providing the following essential vitamins and nutrients:

Inositol
A member of the vitamin B-complex family, Inositol is essential for fat metabolism and has been shown to help maintain healthy skin and hair as well as preventing fallout.

Biotin
Known also as vitamin H, Biotin is required for healthy metabolism and growth, especially for proper fatty acid synthesis and enzyme productions. Research has also pointed to Biotin playing a key role in maintaining healthy hair, as well as preventing hair loss and graying.

Protodioscin
The active ingredient of the herb Tribulus terrestris L., protodioscin has been proven by many clinical studies to help regulate the body's androgen levels and may help in preventing hair loss due to the overproduction of the androgen DHT.

Folic Acid
Necessary for the formation of new cells and protein metabolism, Folic Acid is a key ingredient for the maintenance of healthy hair and skin.

Vitamin B5
In addition to its beneficial effects in helping to counteract stress and promote metabolism, building new cells, and maintaining normal cell growth, vitamin B5 also helps to protect skin and cells against the signs of aging.

Vitamin E
A powerful anti-oxidant, this skin soluble vitamin helps maintain healthy cells by eliminating harmful free radicals generated in the course of cellular metabolism.

Ginseng Panax Extract
Used in Asia for thousands of years, Ginseng's long list of benefits include regulating cellular metabolism, helping cells to assimilate vitamins and minerals, promoting protein synthesis, and improving vascular circulation.

Aloe Vera
In addition to its great healing properties, Aloe is an effective hair conditioner that helps prevent hair damage.

If caught early enough, Retane has been shown to help promote new hair growth. Its herbal ingredients and multi-vitamin compounds provide the essential nutrients for healthy hair growth. Retane's effectiveness in regrowing hair can also be seen clearly in cases of alopecia aerata - a condition where hair loss occurs rapidly in localized patches.

Despite many years of research, there is currently no effective means of regrowing hair from dead follicles at advanced stages of baldness. So, use Retane as soon as you notice shedding on your pillow or in the drain and you'll be able to stop and reverse the hair loss process, and keep your own natural hair.

Retane is a natural botanical formula that is easy and convenient to use. It comes in a ready to use spray bottle - simply hold the bottle about 3 inches from your scalp and spray the desired spots liberally with short, even bursts.

Use approximately two teaspoons of Retane per application. (Each teaspoon is approximately 25 to 30 even bursts). Wet the root of your hair and massage your scalp thoroughly. Do not rinse your hair, as this will rinse away the nutrients and vitamins. Let dry Retane naturally without blow drying your hair.

lhangel9
November 1st, 2010, 08:43 PM
Saw Palmetto (Take 320-400 mg daily of an 85 percent liposterolic extract)

Vitamin B12, Iron, and Zinc (Take 30 mg of zinc daily along with 3 mg of copper)

Biotin, Folic Acid, and Inositol (My friend takes two 5,000 mcg Biotin pills per day for maximal results... 1 pill in the morning, 1 pill before going to bed. Excess Biotin gets peed out anyway)

oh and these are pics of his hair, he's been having 10,000 mcg of Biotin per day for a year now:

Wow! What beautiful hair. And I thought I was taking too much Biotin (5000 mcg/day). U R right, you tend the urinate out the excess (including other vitamins/supplements) at least I do. Thx for sharing!

lhangel9
November 1st, 2010, 08:50 PM
Oops to the OP, I use the following:
Andrew Lessman's Hair Skin and Nails (includes 3000 mcg of Biotin & other essential nutrients)
Natrol Skin Hair and Nails (the least expensive-can find on Amazon.com and search for: Natrol (http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=bl_sr_hpc?_encoding=UTF8&node=3760901&field-brandtextbin=Natrol) )
Omegas (3,6,9)
(Any) Multi-vitamin.

shockinglength
November 1st, 2010, 09:00 PM
I use a multi, calcium, vitamin D, fish oils, and biotin.

KittyLost
November 2nd, 2010, 04:43 AM
I take a Hair, Skin and Nails multivitamin, they're fairly cheap and do the right things :)

When I first started taking them I averaged at an 1" growth a month before it evened back out to my 0.5".

enfys
November 2nd, 2010, 04:48 AM
I take a Hair, Skin and Nails multivitamin, they're fairly cheap and do the right things :)

When I first started taking them I averaged at an 1" growth a month before it evened back out to my 0.5".

Me too. I did do Bargello's full regime but see no difference from when I did that to jusr taking one multivitamin. Except in my expenditure...

Igor
November 2nd, 2010, 08:04 AM
I made an article on it trying to help people since it’s such a jungle Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=74)

In2wishin
November 2nd, 2010, 08:16 AM
I take:
a multi (Walgreens store brand $10 for 250)
Evening Primrose oil
Flax seed oil
D-3
B-50 complex
Biotin
Iron (I tend towards chronic anemia)
MSM
L-Cysteine
DE

Crazycatlady
November 2nd, 2010, 08:25 AM
I totally feel your pain with the tight budget! :( When my money's tight like it is this month, I take Flintstones chewable, a children's multi-vitamin. But I chew 2 instead of one and my hubby does too.

KittyLost
November 2nd, 2010, 09:58 AM
Me too. I did do Bargello's full regime but see no difference from when I did that to jusr taking one multivitamin. Except in my expenditure...

Haha yeah, I completely sympathise in the expenditure.

Igor
November 2nd, 2010, 10:20 AM

I disagree with Bargellos vitamin regime on a couple of points. Most important I think is to point out that Bargello started on the routine after chemo therapy and wrote her success regrowing off as being from the supplements. The fact is that after chemo, people experience very fast growth and some texture or wave-changes; it’s not because of the Bargello regime!

DreadfulWoman
November 2nd, 2010, 10:27 AM
Hey, I just wanted to mention that I don't endorse Bargello's full regimen or anything - I myself just take biotin and a multi. But I thought it was a good jumping off point if you're interested in knowing what vitamins are supposed to have an effect on hair growth.

Smile4Kiki
November 2nd, 2010, 10:37 AM
This reminds me I need to restock my vitamins. I normally take a multivitamin, MSM and biotin. After about 3 months on these I noticed my hair looking thicker and my growth was about an inch per month. I ran out of MSM and have been super busy so haven't had the time to go to the pharmacy and only have been taking the others but rather inconsistently. I also took silica for a while but haven't used it enough to notice any changes.