PDA

View Full Version : To those at classic length and longer: How do other people react?

Honeylove
November 1st, 2010, 02:09 PM
Do those of you with classic length or longer still get hair compliments from "normal" people? I mean, other than the astonished "My, you have really long hair!"? Any comments that your hair is just beautiful/pretty/luxuriant/and the likes? Or has the frequency of "beauty" comments decreased as your hair began to grow longer than average?

trolleypup
November 1st, 2010, 02:11 PM
Do those of you with classic length or longer still get hair compliments from "normal" people? I mean, other than the astonished "My, you have really long hair!"? Any comments that your hair is just beautiful/pretty/luxuriant/and the likes? Or has the frequency of "beauty" comments decreased as your hair began to grow longer than average?
Not that I can tell.

Starr
November 1st, 2010, 02:23 PM
I rarely wear my hair down in public so I rarely get comments on it.

slz
November 1st, 2010, 02:31 PM
Do those of you with classic length or longer still get hair compliments from "normal" people? I mean, other than the astonished "My, you have really long hair!"? Any comments that your hair is just beautiful/pretty/luxuriant/and the likes?
No. When my hair is down, it's only ever qualified as "wow, loooong !". Not beautiful or such.

Tornerose
November 1st, 2010, 02:34 PM
Definately decreased. Started to happend at waist, actually.
But it depeds alot I guess. Foreigners seem to compliment more than natives. Not sure if their culture is to compliment more, or if they just still have that cultural attachment to long hair that we in the western world seem to have lost.

Eniratak
November 1st, 2010, 02:42 PM
It's mostly the wow factor.
Only a few times have I had the comment 'You have very beautiful hair' from someone outside my family.

Feng-Shui
November 1st, 2010, 03:36 PM
Men make a great many complements for me.:)

The women of these men regard me often badly.

Mine hair has already three accidents with drivers and an accident with a bicycle driver on the conscience.:o

Fortunately no humans were physically heavily injured.

It was only materieler damage.

I thinks that is also complements on another language.;)

And I gets a great many views in addition.:D

CurlAhead
November 1st, 2010, 04:19 PM
Well, I find that you all have beautiful hair, and yes, I am a bit jealous! :cheese:

Honeylove
November 1st, 2010, 05:13 PM
Yes, you all have beautiful hair, and I'm a bit relieved now. Some years ago, people used to say that my hair is beautiful. Nowadays I get merely the length comments, mostly. Seems to me that at a certain point length gets noticed before beauty. Or maybe it's just that many people don't appreciate great lengths the same way we do. ;-)

Carolyn
November 1st, 2010, 05:25 PM
Are you looking for comments or are you hoping comments will stop for you? I would say that the majority of us with waist length and past get very few comments on our hair. I don't think I got a single comment when mine was in the tailbone range and it's been there twice since joining LHC and I'm headed that way again and maybe on to classic. A lot of us wear our hair up or in a braid a great deal of the time. Another thing is it took us years to grow our hair that long so it's no surprise to anyone who knows us. Grow your hair for yourself. A nice comment is icing on the cake but growing to get comments is likely to leave you disappointed.

Honeylove
November 1st, 2010, 06:04 PM
Are you looking for comments or are you hoping comments will stop for you? I would say that the majority of us with waist length and past get very few comments on our hair. I don't think I got a single comment when mine was in the tailbone range and it's been there twice since joining LHC and I'm headed that way again and maybe on to classic. A lot of us wear our hair up or in a braid a great deal of the time. Another thing is it took us years to grow our hair that long so it's no surprise to anyone who knows us. Grow your hair for yourself. A nice comment is icing on the cake but growing to get comments is likely to leave you disappointed.
So true, Carolyn. I am growing my hair for myself, but, I admit, sometimes it would be nice to know that I'm not the only one who likes it. :o My hair has changed a bit over the past years and sometimes I'm just concerned if it's still pretty.

I rarely wear it down in public but if I do, it attracts a lot of looks and this tends to be embarassing me because I feel like a freak when they're staring at me the way they usually do. Now all that I (almost) ever hear people saying about my hair is that it is long. (Say! :p) That leaves me wondering sometimes if I'm probably fooling myself and it's only pretty to me and everybody else thinks it's a mess. I have a hard time believing that there are people who don't find very long hair just beautiful. So, when someone says "You have very long hair" and nothing else, I tend to think: "Hm, are they trying to tell me in a kind way that it looks terrible?" You know, that kind of comment when someone does not want to say it bluntly and hopes you'll somehow get it nonetheless.

But now it seems to be a phenomenon that affects many people with very long hair, even if it's really pretty. ;)

JulietCapulet
November 1st, 2010, 06:15 PM
I think people like to put down anything that is different from the norm. People like to correct things that fall "out of line" with what they think is the way to live. But if everyone followed that nonsense there wouldn't be anything exciting in society it would be boring and redundant filled with hollow minds.

I live in Miami where every other girl has hair longer than BSL so...it's not that odd here.

My hair is still not long enough to give the "wow" factor.

RachelRain
November 1st, 2010, 06:26 PM
I wear mine down (a few inches past classic) because I like it down. It being almost winter, I'll probably wear it down almost exclusively for a few months now to keep my neck warm.

I usually get mini conversations - I've got women saying 'omg, I LOVE your hair. how long did it take to get it that long? do you do anything to it to get that outward curl on the bottom?' etc. I love when old women ask, I'm not sure why but old people are so cute.

Mostly men (and only at our local walmart, figure that out!) are the ones pressuring me to cut and donate. They stopped almost completely after I made a comment along the lines of 'Now why would I want to cut it when its *finally* long enough for me to choke someone out with it? Look at this!' and then wrapped it around my boyfriend's neck twice. The two of us thought it was funny and were just joking, because we've both woken up being choked out by my hair before, but oh well, people don't share our sense of humor. :shrug:

A lot of younger girls, like... maybe 10 or 11 to 16ish? will come up behind me and poke me and say really quickly 'I like your hair' or 'your hair is pretty' and then turn red and walk away. I think it's sweet. But that's more seasonal, because of OSV and our local fall festivals. We're a very touristy town and I think that's where most of the actual compliments come from, whereas the conversations (I think) come from people who actually live in the area and finally worked up the nerve to ask. (of course, I'm going by accent - or lack of - when they speak, so this isn't *always* accurate.)

I think though, that it's because I live in a tourist town that I get any of these - because it's seasonal. Around spring, when all the kids in MA are going to Old Sturbridge Village, I get bombarded with them, and then in the fall when all the local little festivals and such start up as well. The rest of the year I don't get anything, and it's fine with me. I wear it down because I like it down and so does my boyfriend. If others like it too, that's just an added bonus.

Anadyomene
November 1st, 2010, 06:37 PM
My hair is headed for knee length and I wear it up most of the time. When I do wear it down I get the WOW! alot. I also get many comments on how beautiful my hair is:o This tends to make me blush. I do however sometimes get comments like "You need to cut it, it's too long."
Whatever people say it doesn't really matter because my hair is for me.:) It makes me happy.

Feng-Shui
November 1st, 2010, 06:44 PM
I thinks it plays several factors a role. :)

Like a person dress is also important.

It is best if everything looks together good.

If I trousers carries to open hair gets I not many complements.

A kloud or a skirt is better.

Children make the most beautiful complements.

A little girl stood behind me and spoke to its mother.
" This woman looks like a Angel."

That was so nice and sweet for me. :inlove:

Adults of people say often mine hair remind it of Sisi. :o

The complements are often very similar.

The statement that my hair is very long hears I very frequently. :rolleyes:

For me is that also one complement.:D

My husband receives often very nice complements for me and my hair.

He me then always tell which the people to it said on the way home.;)

Syntyche
November 1st, 2010, 07:13 PM
I rarely wear mine down in public, but when I do I get a lot of "pretty" comments from children, and "wow that's a lot" from women over 50-ish

lindaton
November 1st, 2010, 08:29 PM
Almost everytime I go someplace with my hair down [actually a mid ponytail] I get compliments. And the questions-how long did it take to grow it that long, isnt it hard to take care of, you should cut it and donate it.

Linda

Angeletti
November 1st, 2010, 08:30 PM
I'm a few inches from classic so I'll post. I get more comments now that my hair is long, I don't remember really getting that many when I had shorter BSL hair, probably because it's a common length around here so people tend not to comment as much.

Lielananna
November 1st, 2010, 08:34 PM
I like wearing my hair down occasionally because it's almost guaranteed that I'll get at least a few comments on them and it almost always lifts my spirits. My hair is about my knees right now and I do get a lot of "your hair is sooo long" and such comments, but I also generally get "your hair is so pretty/healthy/thick" comments as well. I don't remember the last time I got a bad comment or someone telling me I need to cut it because it looks bad. Some of that may be because I live in Hawaii right now and long hair isn't too uncommon here, but I don't get bad comments when I'm visiting on the mainland either. The only partially bad comment I got the other day from some older ladies, all with the silver hair permed bob that's so common....they complimented me on my length and that it was pretty and thick, but then they said that I should enjoy it because it would thin badly by the time I reached their age. I ignored it since that's a genetic thing and I've seen that the women in my family really don't thin all that badly as they age so I won't worry about it until then.

mira-chan
November 1st, 2010, 08:57 PM
I wear it up almost all the time so I just get the occasional "Whoa!" and the usual neutral commentary when I take it down.

I tend to wear it in a braid for Thanksgiving and my elderly relatives come over. So the grandmas all reminisce about having hair like mine when they were young. :cloud9: Older Russian women tend to do that in general when I'm not a stranger on the street (as in part of the tour group, or they are a friend of a relative).

Otherwise no comments as it's up, and out of people's attention.

Alcenaia
November 4th, 2010, 01:16 PM

I rarely wear my hair down in public so I rarely get comments on it.

(cut)...A lot of us wear our hair up or in a braid a great deal of the time. Another thing is it took us years to grow our hair that long so it's no surprise to anyone who knows us. Grow your hair for yourself. A nice comment is icing on the cake but growing to get comments is likely to leave you disappointed.

I think there has been a minor increase in compliments since I have passed classic. Women who have long (normal, not LHC) hair are usually the ones that say something nice.

Agreeing with Starr and Carolyn, I wear my hair up the vast majority of the time and it is not obvious at all how long it is.

spidermom
November 4th, 2010, 01:38 PM
I'm not quite there, but almost, so I hope it's o.k. if I chime in. The longer it gets, the more compliments, "it's magnificent" "it's awesome" "your long hair is so pretty" are a few. Plus I get the "wow - your hair is really long" comments, too. But usually I get nothing, which annoys me when I've put a lot of effort into a difficult braided style.

aenflex
November 4th, 2010, 02:00 PM
Anytime I see someone at TBL, waist or longer, I cannot help but to take notice. Most of the time I am in situautions where these are strangers passing by. But I do try and compliment those people that I'm actually speaking with, even if I don't know them. Although seeing all the rants people have about dumb hair comments, I sorta wonder if I should just keep that all to myself as well. Me and my BF followed a woman thru the store the other day for a bit, as I was meserized by her hair. If she turned round and slapped me I probably would have deserved it!

GeoJ
November 4th, 2010, 02:01 PM
On the rare occassions that I wear my hair down or in a braid, I mostly get stares and sometimes whispering that I can't make out. At the University I got compliments, but not many outside the University.

I got compliments on braided updos from a few German-speaking tourists when I when I was in Italy. No one usually notices my updos in the U.S., and when they do they just ask how long my hair is.

The only place I get a lot of hair compliments is online: the LHC, the Loom, and YouTube.

sweetestday
November 4th, 2010, 02:20 PM
I'm almost to classic, and I occasionally get older ladies that tell me they like my braid. Little girls also compliment me on how long and pretty it is. I do usually wear it up, though, so I don't get many comments on it when it's bunned. For some reason, since it's gone past waist, I feel almost embarrased to wear it flowing down. It feel private and personal for some reason.

embee
November 4th, 2010, 02:31 PM
I wear my hair up. Sometimes people ask how long it is or how I made the updo. Then they say "Wow!". Only one person said I should donate. I said no, I was growing it for me.... and *she* could donate. Turned out she already had done so! ;) Her hair grows like a weed so she doesn't have to wait 10+ years to get to classic like I did.

One lady could hardly believe I had made my updo myself, because it was "so smooth"... well, with stick straight hair in a plain one-hairstick bun, yes, it is smooth.... duh. ;)

JamieLeigh
November 4th, 2010, 03:49 PM
Mine is now about 3.5" away from knee, and I get more compliments now than I did before. I wear my hair up pretty much 24/7...I have only worn it loose in public maybe 4 times all year long. But the comments (such as stating the obvious "Your hair is long!!") and compliments (like "You have the most beautiful hair!!") are numerous on the few times it's seen loose in public. The best ones are from little kids, because you know they really mean it, and are not just trying to be polite. :) I think that one day in September when I wore it loose, I got 9 compliments/comments before noon.

I have never actually had comments on any of my updos (I did have one lady with hip-length hair stare at my braided bun once, as though she was trying to figure out how long my hair was :p), but I get comments on my hair sticks a lot....they're pretty geeky - gaming dice, Star Wars figurines, sushi. ;)

I have no problem with it, I kind of enjoy it since it's rare that I wear it loose to receive those comments, but I can see how that might be annoying if it happened every day of my life. :rolleyes:

enfys
November 4th, 2010, 06:53 PM
When my hair was at past classic length some friends would meet and greet me then dart behind to see how my hair was styled that day. I would get comments off nostalgic old people who remembered when their hair was that long during the war and things. Lots of my friends wrote in my school leaving book comments like "never cut your hair" and "keep it growing".

Back then I often wore my hair in a braid or ponytail a few days a week, then braided buns the other days.

Now my hair is tailbone length (I didn't listen to the book comments obviously :() and I wear it up all the time. None of my fellow students have seen my hair loose and I'm happy to not get attention for it at this stage of my life. I'm not sure why.

My husband and close family and friends comment on my loose hair and my updos and toys about equally. I am lucky that they are supportive.

Generally I found people liked it long, encouraged me to keep it long, envied the things I could do with it but never felt inspired to grow their own hair out!

Braidmaid
November 5th, 2010, 07:54 AM
I am almost at classic, and I enjoy wearing it down when I can. Being a middle school teacher, I usually wear it in a braid. When I wear it down I get quite a few compliments from my students; particularly the girls. I hope I can inspire some of them!

princessp
November 5th, 2010, 08:18 AM
My hair is past waist, but not quite tailbone (when dry). I get a lot of "wow, it's long" but I also get a lot of compliments (mostly from women).

I agree we don't grow our hair for strangers, but I still think this is an interesting questions. Anyway, I kind of think that the strangers who simply say "wow it's long" probably feel odd for saying anything at all and that might be why they don't continue with the conversation. I know I have wanted to compliment people on all kinds of things but didn't want to be perceived as a weirdo or stalker. In general we have to be careful when we make comments on folks appearances it could be misinterpreted as sexual harassment. So not to suggest that everyone loves and appreciates long hair, but there are likely more people who appreciate your hair and don't comment. Just a thought.

wendyg
November 5th, 2010, 09:07 AM
Someone (unrelated male) told me my hair looked "really lovely" the other day, and I think that was the first time in at least 20 years, possibly ever. I'm afraid that because *I* liked the way it looked, too, my reaction was rather muted (along the lines of, "well, of course"). "Take the compliment," he hissed at me. :)

wg

eresh
November 5th, 2010, 09:09 AM
Men make a great many complements for me.:)

The women of these men regard me often badly.

LOL I recognise this!

Most remarks are on the length but also still the "your hair is so pretty" comment :-)
And most comments are made by men, little girls or older women.

squiggyflop
November 5th, 2010, 09:29 AM
um im very close now.. just 1-2 finger width away (its longer now than my siggy).. i would like to chime in too..

the longer my hair gets the less compliments from other women.. Feng-Shui is right about a persons dress.. in pants i get nothing.. but if i wear o long dress or skirts with loose hair then i get compliments from men in particular.. especially if i wear it down to things like country fairs... i guess farmers and country folk like the long hair dress combo..

women usually just say things like "wow how does all that hair fit into that tiny bun you usually wear" this annoys me because my bun is like 4 times the size of theirs and mine is much tighter than theirs.. and since when is a beebutt bun that sticks out 5-6 inches TINY???.. or women ask about my hair care.. which i dont mind.. oh i should point out that the 60+ crowd of women seem to like my hair especially the color..

akka naeda
November 5th, 2010, 12:06 PM
My hair is round about knee length
When in a plait or loose I get
isn't your hair long; I had no idea your hair was so long; it's so thick; how long does it take to wash/dry etc etc.
This from both men and women, although women will tell me it looks good, men won't. I suspect they are scared it might give the wrong impression. The washing thing is definitely curiosity - ie it's so long it must take hours to look after it, how do you manage.

Children will comment on it (sometimes to their parents rather than to me directly), but for some reason little girls (this is including 10-11yr olds!) will tell me "I have a teacher at school who has hair which comes down to the ground when she wears it loose". The number of times I have heard this makes me doubt it's the case, especially as I asked about this on one occasion and was told by the mother that the girl was making it up.

When it's up nobody comments on it, I think I once had someone joke about wearing chopsticks.

I have never had anyone tell me my hair was too long except my ex, who was constantly telling me it should be cut in a bob.

Niwa
November 5th, 2010, 12:13 PM
I think a lot depends on region. The few women (one at school, one in my childhood, and one at work) I have known with very long hair have gotten mixed reactions. Often, there is awe ("how did you get your hair so long?"), but also perceptions of them as eccentric, and even stereotypes of them as wiccan or vegan or hippy, even if nothing else was eccentric about them. I, myself, used to find hair longer than waist to be a bit bizarre, even when it was well cared-for, until my hair journey opened my eyes to the beauty of very long, well-groomed hair.

ETA: Indian women tend to escape the negative stereotypes, because very long hair is assumed to be part of their culture.

Stagecoach
November 5th, 2010, 07:49 PM
I rarely wear mine down anymore.

When I do though, I do get compliments on both the length and the beauty. I find the length comment generally come first, to be followed by the observations on it's condition and if they like it.

Men and women offer the compliments.

Catia
November 5th, 2010, 08:53 PM
I find a direct correlation between hair and how the rest of me looks. If I am a little more pulled together, I get more comments on hair. The longer my hair is - yes, the more I get noticed -- but that is not always a good thing. In fact, when approaching knee and beyond, I just felt like I was treated like a freak in a side-show. I very rarely wore my hair down at this point to avoid the morons.

Recently I just get questions about my religious background, usually accompanied by "Have you seen the 19th Wife/Sister Wives?" lol. I have been enjoying wearing long denim skirts recently (for comfort) and I know it does have this certain vibe to it. Not exactly the look I'm going for though. Last week hubby told me I looked like a Pentecostal. I rolled my eyes and told him "Yeah, a Pentecostal prostitute, I'm wearing a ton of makeup!"

Longlocks3
November 5th, 2010, 09:54 PM
Usually men will make positive comments on my hair when down. And I haven't had any creepy comments.

Women tend to feel the need to give suggestions, but those tend to be really passive aggressive comments.

No matter what sex the commentator is, they sometimes still make stupid questions.

Example: "Do you pee on it when you sit on the toilet?"

Um, No.

trolleypup
November 6th, 2010, 12:53 AM
"Yeah, a Pentecostal prostitute, I'm wearing a ton of makeup!"
:misskim:

Yep, more positive comments on hair when I don't look all scruffy haven't shaved in the carpentry shop all day.