PDA

View Full Version : Good Bridesmaid hairstyles for hair between APL and BSL?

kschr2004
October 31st, 2010, 08:13 PM
ETA: The wedding took place yesterday - bumped this thread to show the style that I picked to all who initially gave me advice. I picked a half up with side braids and curls. Thanks to all for the advice! :)

Hi,

I am the maid of honor at my friend's wedding in the beginning of December. One of her friends has offered to do my hair for the wedding, but she will be doing three hairstyles that morning in about an hour and a half, including the bride's hair. Because my hair is very thick and is getting longer, curls are most likely out. It would take her more time to do my curls than we will have available.

I was thinking to have her do a french or a dutch braid, with a fold under. My concern is that bobby pins aren't really going to hold the fold under part of the braid very well, because bobby pins tend to slide right out of my hair. Also, I don't know if my hair is starting to get too long for a fold under to look right on me.

Does anyone have any ideas on what would hold the braid for my hair type (very straight ii/iii hair)? Or any suggestions on other hairstyles (excluding a french twist or basic cinnabun) that might work for me that day? Obviously, I want to keep it somewhat simple to ensure my hairstyle doesn't outshine the bride's hair and so that it can be done in the allotted time.

Thanks in advance for any help on this!

Kimberly

P.S. - Pictures would help a lot too!

MusingFrog
October 31st, 2010, 09:03 PM
Can you do an upside down French braid? You basically bend over, start the braid at the nape, and then finish it near the top part of you head (more or less). Then you can braid the end and put it in a bun. See picture (of my very mess hair from awhile ago).

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3167/2443258032_5bebf3f32f.jpg

kschr2004
October 31st, 2010, 09:09 PM
Can you do an upside down French braid? You basically bend over, start the braid at the nape, and then finish it near the top part of you head (more or less).

That is one option I hadn't thought of. I can french braid my own hair, but I haven't ever tried the upside down one. Maybe I will see if I can do a dry run, and whether I will have enough left over for a bun at the end. Thanks!

katha
October 31st, 2010, 11:14 PM
cscheck, that looks really pretty!

KittyLost
November 1st, 2010, 04:08 AM
I use the upside down french braid to hide my hair underneath wigs :o

Sock buns are becoming popular lately with weddings and bridemaids, you could braid the leftover hair around the bun? Your hair should be long enough for that? And it shouldn't take too long to do and it's a simple do that can look pretty with an accessory if you wanted to jazz it up :)

Here's a link to the archive, http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showpost.php?p=791469&postcount=21

torrilin
November 1st, 2010, 06:56 AM
For my sister-outlaw's wedding, the maid of honor left her waist length hair down. The bride's waist length hair was left down, curled and styled into oblivion, and adorned with lily of the valley since it's her favorite flower. My BSL length hair was stuffed into two braids and made into a coronet, since it's a style that stays fairly well on me and is pretty.

I prefer French braids for formal stuff, since they really show off my hair's good points, but I'm at an awkward length where I can't fold them under, and I can't make a bun of any sort out of the tail.

akuamoonmaui
November 1st, 2010, 07:26 PM
A half do?

kschr2004
November 1st, 2010, 08:03 PM
A half do?

I was thinking about that as an option. But since my hair is so stick straight, I tend not to like it as a half updo. However, maybe if I bun my hair the night before I would have nice bun waves for the bottom half the morning of the wedding.

kschr2004
November 1st, 2010, 08:14 PM
BTW, here is a picture of my first sock bun, which I tried this morning. I did have enough left over that I could probably have braided around it, but the front of my hair is fairly angled. I think I would have to do a few mini braids to make it work.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2400&pictureid=87309

akuamoonmaui
November 1st, 2010, 08:30 PM
Straight hair in an up do is very elegant! I do my sock bun by wrapping my hair over the sock, I then have this circular fan of hair I twist around the base. Could you do a sock bun in this way and then put/braid flowers or pretties in it?

shockinglength
November 1st, 2010, 08:45 PM
Maybe braid waves?

kschr2004
November 2nd, 2010, 05:04 PM
Maybe braid waves?

That might work too! I have a lot of styles to try out before the wedding now. Good thing it's still over a month away.

Thanks all!

kschr2004
December 4th, 2010, 07:46 PM
All,

Just posting a post-wedding follow up to this thread. The wedding was today, and I decided on a half up with side braids and curls. Pics are below! (the stylist did use a curling iron - I allow it for special occasions only) but I asked her not to tease my hair and she complied. :) As you can see, I have a sweatshirt on, so this is actually after I got home from the wedding and reception tonight. The curls actually held up really well given that the whole prep for wedding/actual wedding/reception/drive home took a total of about eleven hours!

Thanks to everyone who helped with suggestions!

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2400&pictureid=89756

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2400&pictureid=89758

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2400&pictureid=89757

spitfire511
December 5th, 2010, 06:20 AM
Very pretty! :)

kschr2004
December 5th, 2010, 06:38 AM
Very pretty! :)

Thank you! I actually forgot to bring money to pay the hairstylist, and had to ask for a loan from the bride. :o How embarrassing! But I got cash on the way to the church, and paid her back right away!

maxzeen
December 5th, 2010, 09:25 AM
Check out Torrin's youtube page. She has a few styles on there that are bridesmaid styles that could be done.

kschr2004
December 5th, 2010, 01:10 PM
Check out Torrin's youtube page. She has a few styles on there that are bridesmaid styles that could be done.

Thanks! The wedding was yesterday, so I actually bumped this thread to show the style I picked to all who initially gave me advice.

GRU
December 5th, 2010, 09:00 PM
Looks great! Excellent choice!

kschr2004
December 5th, 2010, 09:03 PM
Looks great! Excellent choice!

Thank you very much! I also learned a new technique for curling by watching the stylist. Though I won't be using it for a while - I have to give my hair a chance to recover from yesterday. :)