PDA

View Full Version : What do you miss about short hair...if anything?

CaityBear
October 31st, 2010, 08:13 PM
I'm the girl who likes the extremes...either I like the really long hair. Or the really short. Okay, so not really, really short, but chin length hair. The in between hair I don't care much about.

But I do like some things about chin length hair. What I liked the most was that I could pull the sides back with a small claw clip and my hair would fall out a bit and be all spiky and cute. I kind of enjoyed that. lol

But that's pretty much the only thing I miss about it. I do kind of miss being able to keep my hair down every day and not worry about it, but that would get old after a couple days because it'd all look the same.

How about you?? :)

LisaMonster
October 31st, 2010, 08:14 PM
Shorter drying time!!

slythwolf
October 31st, 2010, 08:17 PM
Nothing. Not a thing. Not the cold back of my neck, not the awkward little flip-out at the back that there was nothing I could do about, not having to wet it every day to style it if I didn't want bed head, not having to keep getting trims all the time, not being unable to keep it out of my face and certainly not only having one way to wear it.

MsBubbles
October 31st, 2010, 08:19 PM
I don't miss anything about my short hair!

JulietCapulet
October 31st, 2010, 08:19 PM
This is an easy one: NOTHING.

ReluctantlyCurl
October 31st, 2010, 08:29 PM
While I will emphasize that I like my long hair much more than when it was short, I must admit, I remember with some fondness a time when my hair was dry almost immediately dry right out of the shower - I had a buzz cut in the 9th grade.

But shorter drying time is not worth the name-calling, awkward growing, etc. Also, I would miss the way my hair feels now. So no contest really.

jenwexler
October 31st, 2010, 08:34 PM
This is the first time I had short hair in a long time and I can see it's growing back already. What I'm going to miss when it grows back is the short dry time, no need for heat appliances, cute natural flips, and the adorable baby ponytail. Of course, I still want it to grow back to BSL lol.

Angeletti
October 31st, 2010, 08:35 PM
When I had shorter hair I didn't have to always worry over it so much because it wasn't as fragile as it is now that it's past my tailbone and I was free to change up the colors every couple months, wear it down whenever, wash it every day, etc. Other than that I don't miss having short hair, I never really looked good with it at shorter lengths.

pepperminttea
October 31st, 2010, 08:47 PM
The shorter drying time (though at the time, 'cones helped with that too).

... That's about it. :shrug: I was going to say shorter detangling time, too, but because it was too short to tie back at one point, I just had to detangle it more often.

ericthegreat
October 31st, 2010, 08:51 PM
What do I miss about short hair? Absolutely nothing at all.

christine1989
October 31st, 2010, 08:51 PM
I miss....

1. The ends being the same color as the roots
2. How fast it dried
3. How little shampoo and conditioner I could use
4. The cute little ponytails I could make with it......

I would go on but I don't want to talk myself into cutting it short again ;).

Roseate
October 31st, 2010, 08:52 PM
I miss the shorter drying time, and the ability to wash-and-go. No detangling. Less thinking about my hair. Lighter feeling on my head. The ability to wear hats all the time (now I can only do it with hair down, and I don't wear my hair down much.)

prosperina
October 31st, 2010, 08:52 PM
I really disliked the only time I had short hair. So I don't miss anything. It was kind of cute, but a pain to style and I never felt like me.

chelseamichelle
October 31st, 2010, 08:53 PM
I miss how perfect and healthy it was, no matter what I did to it.

Thats all :p

Carolyn
October 31st, 2010, 08:59 PM
I don't miss anything about it. Keep in mind I consider anything above shoulders as quite short. The last time it was that short was the beginning of 9th grade. I remember feeling like my hair wasn't "me". I think the perm my mom gave me was more horrific that the length. Luckily I haven't had to experience anything shorter than a chin length bob which was my style for most of my childhood.

Ravenwaves 88
October 31st, 2010, 09:00 PM
I miss feeling punky. I could so all kinds of crazy styles and it worked for me. It was like clay I could mold on my head. Morning hair I DO NOT miss...lol. Hair blowing carelessly in the wind with no concern for tangles. I miss the no tangles and less time in the shower washing my hair. I think about cutting every now and then but I've been down that road. I'm liking this new adventure.....however difficult it may sometimes be.

narydaco
October 31st, 2010, 09:05 PM
Nothing. Not a thing. Not the cold back of my neck, not the awkward little flip-out at the back that there was nothing I could do about, not having to wet it every day to style it if I didn't want bed head, not having to keep getting trims all the time, not being unable to keep it out of my face and certainly not only having one way to wear it.

Couldn't have said it better myself! :)

Crazycatlady
October 31st, 2010, 09:17 PM
Well, guess I'm the odd one, but I miss all the compliments I used to get when I had my pixie. I felt like it really brought out my eyes and high cheek bones...now my slightly below collar length hair seems to just pull my 44 yr old face down. :(

I'm holding out hopes that once it's a little longer I won't feel so blah and average looking. I never felt average looking with it short...strange, huh.

darkwaves
October 31st, 2010, 09:20 PM
I like extremes, too -- and loved having really short hair (less than 2" at the longest sections).

What do I miss? Insta-rinses! When we went camping, I could put my head under a stand pipe (any source of water on the site) for several minutes and get a great quick wash!

That does not work now.

squiggyflop
October 31st, 2010, 09:28 PM
what do i miss?

wash and go
no product at all (im a lucky one that never needed product to control my perfect wave pattern)
dries in 15 minutes
no need to comb during the day
no real detangling
no need for conditioner.. just a tiny bit of shampoo
full fluffy hair
people constantly complimenting me on my wave pattern

jeanniet
October 31st, 2010, 09:45 PM
Shorter drying time, and that's it--although I don't really miss that, either. Waiting for my hair to dry doesn't bother me, but I don't work outside the house so I don't have to deal with getting ready for work, etc. Anything else I might sometimes think I miss is probably just in my head, because realistically having shorter hair is a pain for me. It's too poofy, too wild, too uncontrollable. Longer hair is really much easier.

LaurelSpring
October 31st, 2010, 09:47 PM

Ditto here.

MissManda
October 31st, 2010, 09:59 PM
I don't think I miss a single aspect of shorter hair. I don't think it's terribly flattering on me in the first place because it can transform my oval face into more of a round shape, which I think makes me look like a little kid. Even when I had mushroom head, people would complain how flat my hair was because I absolutely refused to use texturizing products in it. The shorter drying time was okay, but I didn't like it enough to miss it.

VitisVinifera
October 31st, 2010, 11:14 PM
Not having to detangle. Not having split ends. That's about it.

katha
October 31st, 2010, 11:20 PM
Shorter drying time. Apart from that... well maybe no need to detangle. That was nice.

ambism
November 1st, 2010, 12:01 AM
Super short: When I buzzed off my hair, I loved being in-and-out of the shower. Man… those were some good ol' days! Oh, and I also liked the versatility a "butch" cut gave me for photoshoots. :]

Dars
November 1st, 2010, 12:05 AM
I loved aspects of my short hair when I had it.

- Wide toothed comb for detangling conditioner in the shower? What's that all about? :p

- Baby pony tails were cute and experimenting with faux mohawks was pretty fun.

- Not worrying about using heat because of frequent cutting.

- Feeling a breeze on your bare neck and it travel freely throughout your scalp (just not the same with an updo on a hot day).

- Not getting pinned/rolling over freely or your hair getting caught somewhere (closing the car door on it, ouch!).

I wouldn't trade it for my hair now but I certainly don't regret having short hair in the past. :)

Druid of Alba
November 1st, 2010, 12:11 AM
Honestly, nothing. It just felt very boring, and slightly depressing. I just felt like something was missing, a part of me was gone. And it was! I don't miss anything about short hair. It makes me shudder thinking of it short, actually.

rapunzhell13
November 1st, 2010, 12:59 AM
The only thing I really miss about short hair is not having to be concerned with damage. Actually, having a buzz cut was fun because it was different and felt very liberating. Apart from that short hair has been more trouble than it's worth.

Dragon
November 1st, 2010, 01:09 AM
Nothing I can think of.

Dreams_in_Pink
November 1st, 2010, 01:25 AM
Thickness. Growing hair without trims made me self-conscious about the taper.

Neneka
November 1st, 2010, 01:38 AM
I miss the feeling of being less feminine looking. That sounds like crazy but I do. I don't want to be treated like I was a fragile little doll and that happens more often nowadays.

share801
November 1st, 2010, 03:30 AM
Thicker ends.

DecafJane
November 1st, 2010, 03:38 AM
When I had boy-short hair, I could rub it in a towel for 10 seconds and it was almost dry. That is the only thing I miss, and frankly, it isn't worth it.

Astarte_1980
November 1st, 2010, 03:45 AM
Time, it was faster to comb and to wash.

BeautifulBella
November 1st, 2010, 03:51 AM
because I am black.... I miss people, sometimes total strangers, not asking me if my hair is real.... I try to take it as a compliment that my hair looks that good that people assume it's fake, but it is definitely annoying. I feel like I need to prove its real... so many times people actually have not believed me. sheesh!

constantki
November 1st, 2010, 04:09 AM
No split ends! Also, sleeping was a bit more comfortable.

KittyLost
November 1st, 2010, 04:13 AM
Shoulder length, more or less blunt cut.

I miss that when my hair gets longer because it looks nice and thick and it's just before triangle head starts taking over and you can do some updos, drying time doesn't take forever.

I think it's my go-to style since it was shoulder for the most of childhood.

mrs_coffee
November 1st, 2010, 04:44 AM
I like having short hair because it's different, and I look good with it short and choppy. It's also a breeze to care for and to style.

Now that I've reached 40 and I'm "supposed to" cut it because I'm getting older I'm letting it grow. I hate conforming to the rules of fashion, so I tend to go the opposite way.

Night_Kitten
November 1st, 2010, 04:59 AM
I liked how cute it looked on me, and how people were shocked :D (hair that short on girls wasn't common where I live, and my hair was maybe 1.5'' - 2'' long and I usually stiled it in spikes...)
But there's no way I'm going back to it - I love the long hair much more!

CrisDee
November 1st, 2010, 05:42 AM
Well, when I say "short," I mean SHORT:

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=4379&pictureid=66581

I do miss a couple things about having super short hair, most of which have been mentioned above - short drying time, no worrying about damage and such. The thing I really do miss on a regular basis is not having my hair get in my face, especially in my eyes - my baby-fine hair always seems to be wisping into my eyes! But as someone else also mentioned, I felt as though a piece of me was missing - still is, my hair's still too daggum short - so it's no more super short cuts for me!

rymorg2
November 1st, 2010, 05:45 AM
Right now I don't miss anything because I have short hair LOL. But I miss plenty about my long hair. It'll grow back!

aenflex
November 1st, 2010, 09:33 AM
Wash and Go. Using my Chi. Using little to no products. Being able to change colour whenever.
R.I.P.

spidermom
November 1st, 2010, 09:46 AM
I had a dream the night before last that my hair was quite short, and I was washing it, really enjoying the fact that I could wash all my hair and massage my scalp vigorously without my hair getting all tangled up. I have to be really careful with it now. I was enjoying the dream so much that I guess I really miss how I used to wash my hair. I also miss the short drying time.

longblondetan
November 1st, 2010, 09:53 AM
Changing my hair every year! not worrying about damage cause it was constantly being cut off. Feeling my neck after she razored the back! being able to just blow dry it and nothing else! And not having wet hair on me.

PiroskaCicu
November 1st, 2010, 09:55 AM
Hmmm.. I miss how 'chic' and simple it looked as a chin length bob. It felt very light and fluffy.

But that's basically it.
I love my long hair a MILLION times more :D

Niwa
November 1st, 2010, 09:58 AM
I miss the way that short hair framed my face. My hair still frames my face when I wear it down, but it no longer has the aerodynamic quality that short 4a/b hair has.

I miss growth being much more noticeable. When my hair was four inches long, retaining four more inches over the course of a year was amazing! I was so excited that my hair had doubled in length. In contrast, I retained five to six inches last year and barely noticed (granted, I was bored with my hair and no longer measuring or paying it much attention).

I miss mistakes not taking so long to get over. If, at four inches of hair, I had damaged my entire head of hair, I could have grown it back in just eight or nine months. Now, at 28 inches of hair, I cannot be as experimental or wacky lest I damage a foot or more of hair.

cmnt831
November 1st, 2010, 10:03 AM
I miss the super easy maintenance, how cool it feels in this hot climate (no, wearing an updo is not the same). Easier to sleep as my hair didn't try to strangle me when it was shorter. I also miss the pretty curls. :( Maybe I just revealed something I need to consider more seriously. :hmm:

Pixna
November 1st, 2010, 10:09 AM
I can honestly say nothing ... absolutely nothing. I don't miss it (or want it!) in the least. It didn't look good on me, it was not easy to take care of, it was a total pain in the rear in every single way. I detested how I felt and how I looked with short hair. I don't miss it in the least and don't miss a single thing about it.

kittensoupnrice
November 1st, 2010, 10:13 AM
I've only had a boy-cut once, and I hated it. Every single minute. There's honestly nothing I miss about that length.
I do sometimes miss the BSL/APL lengths where I could do cute things with micro clips or do a peacock twist, but not enough to go back to it.

kookyjelk
November 1st, 2010, 10:19 AM
I still have short hair -- my pixie is a shaggy-ish thing I'm not sure how to define --- and I really don't think I'll miss anything beyond the short drying time. It's difficult to tame, messy, and I feel masculine/unattractive just about every time I look in the mirror. I'm well ready for it to be long again.

lapushka
November 1st, 2010, 10:19 AM
That it was doubly hard to manage (style) compared to longer hair (that's why I got perms in the shorter stages - it helped); and it was less versatile. I do miss the ease of it when experimenting with color but that's about it.

HintOfMint
November 1st, 2010, 10:38 AM
That freshly shorn feeling at the salon, walking out with your head feeling so much lighter.
The buzzed nape of my neck when I had a bob.
Getting something drastic at the salon.

Looking at what I've written, these are all pretty "in the moment," feelings about getting a haircut and not really about having short hair. Frankly, I don't think I miss actually having short hair, at least not anymore. I've had short hair for much of my life, yet I don't think I've ever maintained a short cut more than twice in a row. I would always grow it out a bit, feel the bug and then chop it short again.

Cheeks1206
November 1st, 2010, 11:29 AM
I miss the quicker drying time and how curly my hair is around my face when it is shorter. I may eventually have to cut in some face-framing layers.

Eskarine
November 1st, 2010, 12:01 PM
I miss swimming in a pool with my hair loose. I love that feeling. When it's long, I keep my hair braided for pool swimming so it won't shed and clog up the water filter.

Otherwise, shorter hair always required more work than long does for me. A chin-length bob is a good cut for my long face, but it required washing and blow drying every day and would fall very flat without styling products (which I refused to use).

CaityBear
November 1st, 2010, 12:09 PM
When I had chin length hair I rarely ever used a blow dryer or flat iron. Sometimes the ends would flip out weird, but I didn't use much on it.

I was lucky that chin length looks good on me as well as long hair. Some day I plan on going back to chin length...then growing it out again!! :) And I'm kind of excited to grow it out again... there are so many hair styles I'm learning about NOW but my hair is too long for...so I get to try them all out when I grow it out again. :D

Lunami
November 1st, 2010, 12:21 PM
It seems most girls like longer hair. I miss feeling special because i had short hair. I don't want to look like everyone else-

sophiamarie
November 1st, 2010, 12:22 PM
1. I miss the shorter drying time.
2. I used to color regularly and didn't have to worry about damage.
3. Short for me back a few years was a just above shoulder bob - my ends were THICK!

schweedie
November 1st, 2010, 12:26 PM
Short for me was slightly above shoulder length and I miss the lightness of it, and the volume I could get just by tousling it a bit with my hands. I don't look right with that length, but I do actually enjoy the feeling of it. I think I'll chop again at some point just to experience that again, and take really good care of my hair while growing it back out.

BrightEyes7
November 1st, 2010, 12:30 PM
Well I've never really liked short hair on me... but I miss having shorter hair because to me ponytails don't look nice with this much length unless I curl it...

So that is it... ponytails!:)

mariika
November 1st, 2010, 12:39 PM
I think about cutting every now and then
Me too! Funny thing, I can't think of one thing I miss about short hair (lower edge of my ears was my shortest; btw TRUST ME it's doesn't look like this (http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_w5fFXq10IB4/S9_5R0IBFWI/AAAAAAAAAHc/v15cRQ-ngNQ/s1600/cute+blond+girl's+hairstyle-sho0rt+hair+curls.jpg) in real life) but I want to cut my hair short so often!! Mainly, I have urges to cut when I start thinking that I might look better with shorter hair, that I can get some 'current' hairstyle and look gorgeous with it. Like, check this actress Jayma Mays with longer hair (http://jayma-mays.us/gallery/displayimage.php?album=32&pid=2434#top_display_media) vs shorter hair (http://jayma-mays.us/gallery/displayimage.php?album=22&pid=2363#top_display_media) - I think shorter do is much more current and fashionable.

This thread is actually making me think. My short hair did dry faster. I think I did indeed not have split ends like VitisVinifera mentioned. Do I miss it being supercurly, having supervolume at all times and getting in my eye 90% of the time? F--K NO.

No split ends! Also, sleeping was a bit more comfortable.
Now, that's a good idea! I guess I miss not having to braid my hair for the night! These days it's like one more brushing-my-teeth exercise............

Iron0Maiden
November 1st, 2010, 12:42 PM
The ONLY think I like about short hair is when its about collar bone length, perfectly straight, with blunt ends. (It's harder for long hair to have perectly blunt ends) But other than that, long hair alllllll the way!! :D

punkcatknitter
November 1st, 2010, 01:09 PM
I miss looking older. (I know, everyone can hit me now)

I got told I looked sixteen yesterday AGAIN and I'm feeling a wee bit sensitive about it. lol.

I loved my hair when it was in a bob (I think I have a picture in my albums) but I HATE everything in between that and BSL. So now I've worked way too hard to ever go back. :) And short hair takes away one of my greatest joys, being able to put my hair up with a couple twists and a pencil.

Alun
November 1st, 2010, 01:30 PM
I miss it sticking up in the air in strange directions!

XcaliburGirl
November 1st, 2010, 01:36 PM
No updo headaches. (Actually my updos don't give me headaches, but they do sometimes aggravate existing headaches.)

Short shed hairs everywhere are easier to deal with than long hairs.

Starr
November 1st, 2010, 02:14 PM
Nothing. . . not having to blowdry it, not the curls sticking out all crazy, and not being a slave to styling products.

lhangel9
November 1st, 2010, 09:10 PM
I'll cross that bridge when I get to it:p

Jadewtch
November 1st, 2010, 09:44 PM
It gives me a different look. With long hair, I always wear it pulled back so I look pretty much the same from the front.

<3OnHerSleeve
November 1st, 2010, 10:08 PM
I look very young and like I was when I was a very little girl and when it was cut when I was 10. which was happy, fun and happy :). Of course I like how flirty and sexy short hair that's taken good care of looks like. But now that I'm stuck in the middle, I'm missing the long hair I used to have when I was oh about 7-8. I love the beauty of a woman in all her fullness, and long hair is an obvious trademark of feminity. I have a feminine face so I suit both long and short but I can't stand BSL lol.

nowxisxforever
November 1st, 2010, 10:12 PM
Nothing... :) My hair is SO much more manageable and low-maintenance now that it's long.

Madora
November 1st, 2010, 10:17 PM
Easier to wash, that's for sure:)!

tanya222
November 2nd, 2010, 12:06 AM
Not a thing!

I looked horrid with short hair. With a pixie I looked like a boy, in fact got truly mistaken for a boy once. And growing it out past chin length was a PITA, some ends flipped under and some ends flipped upwards, it was laughable. It takes much less time to style now too, I can go from my night-braid to a figure-8 twist in like 1 minute!

As much as I might complain to myself in my head about the slightly longer washing time and detangling a knot, I wouldn't trade my long hair for short ~ ever!

Juneii
November 2nd, 2010, 01:14 AM
Not much. Fitting in with the crowd and hearing people tell me my hair is cute as opposed to "how long did it take for you to grow your hair?" (-___- forever considering I have yet to shave my head or become bald).