PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning hair without getting it wet?

Nenwing
October 31st, 2010, 08:12 PM
One thing I have always had to do is wash my hair every single day. Because of the fine-ness of it it looks greasy pretty fast. If I wash one day, then skip the next it will be greasy looking (especially at temple/above ear area).

Are there any dry/powder shampoos or formulas that you use to clean your hair just at the scalp level, so you don't look like a grease head?

jasper
October 31st, 2010, 08:59 PM
Sure thing. There are dry shampoos. i have used baby powder in a pinch, and have heard of people using corn starch or cocoa powder depending on hair color.

christine1989
October 31st, 2010, 09:07 PM
I have heard of baby powder too as well as talcum powder. I am a daily washer too but because of how dark my hair is I can't use dry washes :(. You really have to be blonde, light brown or gray to get away with it.

ravenreed
October 31st, 2010, 09:54 PM
I have dark hair and use the dry shampoo from Sally's at least once a week when I wake up with hair that is a little too oily looking on top for my happiness, but with not enough time to wash and dry before I leave the house. I think it is called Batiste.

I spray it in, part my hair a little differently and spray some more and then repeat. It sits a moment and then I use a regular brush or my tangle teaser to start brushing out the spray. If it still looks like some residue is in my hair, I use my BBB to brush out the last of it. It is actually about the only thing I use my BBB for. Anyway, I quickly rinse anything I used to take out the dry shampoo because it does leave a bit of powder on the brushes. I find that the dry shampoo comes out of my hair much easier than corn starch or baby powder. I never had much success with either of those because they left my hair looking like I walked through a dust storm.

kittensoupnrice
October 31st, 2010, 10:05 PM
Baby powder or corn starch is supposedly okay for light hair.

I've heard that cinnamon powder works for red hair, and cocoa powder works for dark hair.

I've tried the cocoa powder before with mixed results. It worked to make me look less greasy, but I smelt chocolatey and it made my hair feel like it needed washing worse than if it were just slightly oily, even though it *looked* fine.

I prefer just bunning my hair up on the oilier days. Updos are often easier and nicer looking with slightly dirty oily hair. :)

ravenreed
October 31st, 2010, 11:14 PM
My hair looks more stringy and icky when I pull it back. I actually do better to leave it down on iffy days. However, I would rather not have an iffy day so I use the dry shampoo.

I also tried cocoa powder and had much the same results you did. My scalp felt like it had weird build up. Also I managed to get cocoa from one end of my bathroom to the other. The spray is much easier and less messy. It is more expensive though.

I've heard that cinnamon powder works for red hair, and cocoa powder works for dark hair.

I've tried the cocoa powder before with mixed results. It worked to make me look less greasy, but I smelt chocolatey and it made my hair feel like it needed washing worse than if it were just slightly oily, even though it *looked* fine.

I prefer just bunning my hair up on the oilier days. Updos are often easier and nicer looking with slightly dirty oily hair. :)

Teazel
October 31st, 2010, 11:23 PM
A handful of bran is quite good. Scrub it in around the roots and brush it out.

katha
October 31st, 2010, 11:24 PM
I have the same problem. I tried washing less, but then my hair will be slightly oily, and that just bugs me. I don't feel good with greasy hair.
I have no solution, unfortunately. I don't dare using cocoa, I imagine it'd be sticky, and I'd be very "chocolaty" afterwards. :)

orbiting
October 31st, 2010, 11:28 PM
I have the entire tresseme naturals waterless shampoo line - I accidentally bought the one for dry/thick hair (which I'm not sure I've even used) and I have the one for fine hair (like mine)... as well as the fresh start spray.

Now - maybe it's just me being picky, but it doesn't make my hair look any cleaner, honestly. I like the Fresh Start spray but all it does is make my hair smell less like... dirty hair.

I've tried corn starch, baby powder, etc... it just makes my hair look like... well.. ever seen chicken after it's dredged but not fried? Yeah... like greasy strands covered in flour. I think I Might be doing something wrong?

kittensoupnrice
November 1st, 2010, 05:40 PM
I've tried corn starch, baby powder, etc... it just makes my hair look like... well.. ever seen chicken after it's dredged but not fried? Yeah... like greasy strands covered in flour. I think I Might be doing something wrong?

You're supposed to rub it in and then thoroughly brush it out. I use a BBB when I'm brushing out powder.
The powder is supposed to absorb the oil, and then you get rid of as much of the oil-saturated powder as possible.

I've always wondered if those oil-gathering papers would work on hair... Hmmm...

Fiordiligi
November 1st, 2010, 06:02 PM
I've not tried it, as the regular formula is fine for me, but the Batiste dry shampoo we can get here in the UK comes in a brunette version too. I don't use it often, but it's handy to have for emergencies.

Syntyche
November 1st, 2010, 07:59 PM
Nenwing: We seem to have similar hair types and the Tressame dry shampoo spray works well for me. I also gives my hair a little more volume in historical up-dos which tend to otherwise fall flat in my way-too-heavy&way-too-fine hair. :kitten:

archionblu
November 3rd, 2010, 07:06 PM

I don't really know on the subject of powder in general, but I thought I should pop in and warn people to be cautious about cinnamon being used--someone around here posted a thread saying she added cinnamon powder to her shampoo and it accidentally lightened her hair. I don't know if it will have the same affect dry, but I thought it'd be a good idea to warn anyone who wants to try.

Shellby
November 3rd, 2010, 07:17 PM
I am a dark blonde, (natural color, who knew?) and I use talc powder on my 2nd day. I sprinkle it on the hair not my scalp. I lightly sprinkle the top of my hair then I pull up a section of my hair and lightly sprinkle it on, move to another section and repeat. Usually just the crown area. I gently rub with my fingertips. Brush a bit and done. I use scented powders and it makes me feel like my hair is clean. My absolute favorite was a rice powder but I can't find it anymore. If I try for a 3rd day it is not as successful. 3rd day is a stay at home and bun it up day.

Beatrice
November 3rd, 2010, 07:26 PM
StudioGrafix for Brunettes is cheap and amazing. I've been using it for a couple weeks now and couldn't be happier. It's much less gritty and harsh than powders I've used in the past, probably because it contains a 'cone.

I still wouldn't feel comfortable wearing my hair down on the second day, though. Dry shampoo takes away the shiny, stringy appearance, but it can't completely restore the volume. I think it's best if you keep your hair up, though that depends on how oily you are.

SharkDisco
November 3rd, 2010, 07:33 PM
I can't say enough good things about Batiste. It's cheap and works so much better than other brands I've tried. I have dark, almost black hair with some dark brown streaks, and I use the regular white powder version. My hair looks a little lighter afterward, but it doesn't look powdery or weird. It gives my thin hair more body, too. I'm so used to the feeling now that squeaky clean hair just feels weird and I often spray a little in after I'm done drying it (maybe this is the beginning of an ugly addiction ; )