PDA

View Full Version : Type 3, Type 4 -- I had a major hair coup!

Beesweet
October 31st, 2010, 01:41 PM
My daughters and I just read the book called "Curly Like Me" by Teri LaFlesh.

Has anyone read it?

She is a biracial woman with amazing long hair with very defined curls. At first, when I saw her hair I thought it was a type 3, but she published so many photos of her "old" hair that she never knew how to properly care for and she looks like a true type 4.

Anyway, she uses a shampoo, then a cheap cone conditioner she calls a "rinsing conditioner" then she has another heavier conditioner that she just leaves in. Then she hand coils individual curls that are about a pencil width.

It is also not expensive, in fact, one of her favorite conditioners is an Aussie one that I found for 2$ at my local drug store.

I did my daughter's hair using her method and IT WAS AMAZING. It took less than an hour to do her whole head, and we got three days out of the style. Then after the next wash, the hair had ZERO tangles and it was simple to reform the curls.

Her hair is perfectly coiled, and hangs with less of the "horizontal volume" that my daughter sometimes does not like. It has made it through sleeping, soccer games, and dirty days at the barn, though my daughter does cover for sleeping and sometimes at the barn.

We have been using it for a few weeks now and no damage. The author says that the coils band hairs together in a protective way -- the curls protect the individual hairs so there is very little breakage. No tangling, no knots that cause damage, no "high top" at the end of the day or after sleeping,

I don't know what this would do for a true 4B like Eykah Badu, but for those borderline 4's....it has worked like a miracle for us.

Please chime in if you know about this book, this method, or the long-term effects of leaving regular conditioner in the hair all the time. The author has below the waist type 4 hair, and she has been growing for 11 years, so it doesn't seem like the conditioner would be damaging, but I would like to discuss this if anyone wants to! I will post pics as soon as we re-do tonight or tomorrow.:cheese:

bumblebums
October 31st, 2010, 01:44 PM
She has a website, which I discovered about a year ago.

http://tightlycurly.com

katha
October 31st, 2010, 01:45 PM
I've nothing useful to offer but I just want to say I'd love to see pictures. I love those tight curls, mostly they look just plain awesome!

spidermom
October 31st, 2010, 02:00 PM
I leave some regular conditioner in my hair most of the time, and even on my not-that-curly hair, if I take the time to twirl small strands around my fingers, it forms quite pretty curls.

Teri's hair is gorgeous, enviable!

Vermelha
October 31st, 2010, 04:27 PM
It's a good book and Teri has a great website. You should visit if you haven't already.

To me, when I first read of Teri's regimen, I thought about that tip that dog groomers used to give their long-haired show dogs amazing, fast growing hair.

Anywho, I tried it about 3 years ago and my hair always came out amazingly curly and moisturized. And no, the conditioner is not damaging, but she did describe that protein conditioners should be avoided. She has a list on her website of conditioners that would do the trick.

This did help me get rid of the dreaded "triangle" hair. I actually did it in combination with a heavier oil for shinier hair (conditioner over time made my hair dull). But my hair has finally grown out of the "triangle" shape, so I don't do this as much, especially because I can't go out with my hair dripping wet to work. That was the only set back for me.

darkwaves
October 31st, 2010, 04:49 PM
I read her blog after someone on the curly/wurly thread found it a while ago -- I heard about the book, and have been wondering about it. So thanks for posting on it!

I tried what I recall was one method on her blog -- brushing thick conditioner through wet hair, then forming the curls. And yes, this worked beautifully! But I really didn't like manipulating my hair that much with the brush, which seemed to pull out way more hair than a normal shed, so I stopped.

[eta -- I just checked out her blog again; I may try this again!)

I'm still a fan of lots of leave-in conditioner, though I use my finger or a wide toothed comb now. I've not had any damage from it... yes, you have to watch to get the protein and moisture balance right for your hair, and make sure you don't get build-up -- but if you do, that's easy to shampoo out!

And Vermelha, how I wish I could go out to work with dripping wet hair! Mine looks like strings till it's dried, so I can understand why this was an issue!

Beesweet, your daughter's hair sounds lovely!

Vermelha
October 31st, 2010, 05:15 PM
I read her blog after someone on the curly/wurly thread found it a while ago -- I heard about the book, and have been wondering about it. So thanks for posting on it!

I tried what I recall was one method on her blog -- brushing thick conditioner through wet hair, then forming the curls. And yes, this worked beautifully! But I really didn't like manipulating my hair that much with the brush, which seemed to pull out way more hair than a normal shed, so I stopped.

I'm still a fan of lots of leave-in conditioner, though I use my finger or a wide toothed comb now. I've not had any damage from it... yes, you have to watch to get the protein and moisture balance right for your hair, and make sure you don't get build-up -- but if you do, that's easy to shampoo out!

And Vermelha, how I wish I could go out to work with dripping wet hair! Mine looks like strings till it's dried, so I can understand why this was an issue!

Beesweet, your daughter's hair sounds lovely!

Yeah, I was worried about the manipulation too, but it was only once a week, so I guess that's harmless for some. I use a Denman twice a week to smooth out my hair. I just had to learn how to be lighthanded with it...it CAN rip hair out if used hastily.

My hair looks like strings too when wet. It looks like a cat was sucking on it. And then my shirt and the car seat is all wet and it's just a mess all over. I know Teri suggested doing it at night, then braiding or twisting it up and wearing it to sleep, but my hair never came out well that way, and it would still be wet :(

Athena's Owl
October 31st, 2010, 05:35 PM
heh, on another hair care site I've been mistaken for Teri. I've read her website and i love her cosmetic ingredients database. I detangle in the shower so working with the conditioner method is a lot faster.

virgo75
October 31st, 2010, 05:36 PM
I haven't read her book but I've been aware of her website since she was still working on the book. :)

I used to do something like this(leave conditioner in my hair) as a teen before people told me I needed to use other things and I listened to them. :rolleyes:

Now I've basically gone back to it although I don't have the patience to do her method exactly. Instead I'll wash, condition, blot dry or wrap in a towel(or t-shirt) until maybe 60%-70% dry then add conditioner back in in sections.

I do it this way because I don't like walking around with drippy wet hair all day(plus it looks like black string as darkwaves said :lol: ). I also don't bother to use a brush because my fingers work just fine. A brush at this point in styling will make me have like 1 or 2 big waves with curls at the bottom. I might use a comb or brush in the shower with the conditioner in it, but don't usually need it afterwards.

PurpleAshes
October 31st, 2010, 08:10 PM
I love how my hair results when I use this method <3 I don't use it often, though, I really dislike the feeling of conditioner on my back.

KittyLost
November 1st, 2010, 03:41 AM
I haven't read her book and I don't have as curly hair as her but I really enjoyed the pictures on her site, her hair is lovely.

GRU
November 1st, 2010, 07:24 AM
I do something similar, kind of a cross between Teri's system and the Curly Girl method. I always thought that my hair would be sticky/dull if I left regular conditioner on it (as opposed to products that are marketed as leave-ins), but my hair really does soak up every last drop!

Buddaphlyy
November 1st, 2010, 11:00 AM
I read Teri's book (been meaning to review it in my blog for a month) and it was just okay to me. It seemed to partially be geared toward curlies with already long hair, not those growing their curls out from very short lengths.

I definitely don't think her method would work exclusively, long term, for a 4B. I tried it last summer and all I got was lots of build up. I do think it would be beneficial in helping with growing out a TWA though.

Niwa
November 1st, 2010, 11:18 AM
I really like Teri's hair and her face is so cute!

But I really didn't like manipulating my hair that much with the brush, which seemed to pull out way more hair than a normal shed, so I stopped.This is my first issue with her regimen. Less manipulation is best for my hair, and brushing thins out my hair in a way that is subtle at first, but noticeable over several months. It seems that brushing snatches out hairs that would not otherwise be shed.

I love how my hair results when I use this method <3 I don't use it often, though, I really dislike the feeling of conditioner on my back.This is my second issue. Conditioner on my back feels gross and causes break-outs.

GRU
November 1st, 2010, 12:01 PM
I definitely don't think her method would work exclusively, long term, for a 4B. I tried it last summer and all I got was lots of build up. I do think it would be beneficial in helping with growing out a TWA though.

Build up of what? :confused: I've been doing a modified version of Teri's method for a year now and my hair hasn't built up anything. Maybe using a different product would give you a better result?

This is my first issue with her regimen. Less manipulation is best for my hair, and brushing thins out my hair in a way that is subtle at first, but noticeable over several months. It seems that brushing snatches out hairs that would not otherwise be shed.

This is why I say I do a "modified" version of Teri's method. I don't shampoo at all -- I CO-wash. Then while my hair is still coated with conditioner in the shower, I detangle with a wide-toothed comb, followed by a three-row comb (kind of a cross between a comb and a brush). My hair is COMPLETELY detangled at this point (and it's the only time of day I ever do it, so there is always a full day and night's worth of tangles by now).

After detangling, I rinse out the washing conditioner, do an ACV rinse, do a partial-rinse of the ACV mixture (just kind of run my hair under the shower once), then add conditioner onto the top part of my head, mixing it well with the residual water. When that's well-saturated, I kind of "squeegee" it off my head and down to my length, and squeegee out the rest of the moisture from my length. Then I apply more conditioner to the length. (this gives me a more diluted product near my roots, where too much weight would drag out the curls even more, plus they don't get tangly that far up)

After I have my ending conditioner in my hair, I re-detangle (doesn't take much, it doesn't get very tangled in the rinsing and conditioner-applying process) with the three-row comb. Depending on how small/separated I want my curl clumps, I either just use the comb for smaller clumps, or I use the comb plus my fingers for bigger clumps (as I run the comb down my hair, I have my fingers spread out on the backside of the comb, so it "glues" a bunch of the smaller strands together as they pass through the comb and between my fingers).

Then I do a modified plop with a turbie-twist, dry off my body and get out of the shower, trade my turbie-twist for an old t-shirt done turban-style, get dressed, remove the t-shirt turban, shake my head, and walk out the door.

By detangling in the shower (always from the bottom up) while DRENCHED in conditioner, I don't have any breakage (I do get lots of sheds, but those are just the hairs that fell out the day before but never fell because they were all caught up in the neighboring strands). The way Teri demonstrates holding the top part of your hair so it doesn't pull while working out a snarl tells me that she's using way too much pressure to detangle (IMO). By taking small sections and using LOTS of conditioner (Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut -- super cheap!), there shouldn't be any yanking or pulling necessary.

This is my second issue. Conditioner on my back feels gross and causes break-outs.

:confused: Conditioner doesn't get on my back.

When I do my final application and combing, I'm leaning forward in the shower (I turn the water off so it doesn't rinse me accidentally!). I then plop into a turbie-twist before standing up, followed by a t-shirt turban after I dry off, so my hair is contained when I'm nekkid. By the time I take the t-shirt turban off, I'm completely clothed.

darkwaves
November 1st, 2010, 09:34 PM
I tried this last night, and remembered two things:

It's really important for me to use a conditioner with lots of slip as the rinsing conditioner, before using the Denman brush to comb the other conditioner through - - that cuts down on the comb stress;
Fully separating my hair into strands really does define the curl more -- and takes time!
Putting that much conditioner on makes my hair sticky and feel flat.
But it looked great when I got up this morning! (I slept with it piled above my pillow.) Even at the end of a day at work it looked non-frizzy and great... And I got two hair compliments -- one from a colleague, the other from a stranger.

I posted two pictures in my album -- both say (TC), a code I hope I remember -- showing my hair tonight. (Looks pretty much like my current signature, but I can tell there is less frizz. Oh, yes, and it was still really wet when I woke up this morning! Conditioner does not dry as quick as water, I guess.)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=78&pictureid=87345

Beesweet
November 2nd, 2010, 02:51 AM
Darkwaves, I couldn't see the pictures in the album? Where should I be looking?

Beesweet
November 2nd, 2010, 02:55 AM
I read Teri's book (been meaning to review it in my blog for a month) and it was just okay to me. It seemed to partially be geared toward curlies with already long hair, not those growing their curls out from very short lengths.

I was curious about 4b....and build-up. I'm thinking ACV or clarifying once in a while might help with that.

Also, my daughter is not a longhair...She is far above the shoulder in a bob and for her it did work. She is not a 4b thought. I have a few photos of her hair in an album on my profile.

Beesweet
November 2nd, 2010, 02:58 AM
[QUOTE=GRU;1320889]Build up of what? :confused: I've been doing a modified version of Teri's method for a year now and my hair hasn't built up anything. Maybe using a different product would give you a better result?

I went out and bought the exact conditioners on her list. We've been doing it for a few weeks and no build up, and the kid spends a lot of time in a dusty barn.

Two weeks isn't long, thought.....

GRU -- you got a lotta hair, Mama!

Beesweet
November 2nd, 2010, 03:02 AM
Thanks for all the input, by the way. I wasn't able to reply yesterday.

I wanted to say we are not using the Denman brush -- I just use a regular plastic wide pick. It works fine. I'm kind of afraid to use a brush at all, since my skills are not that good.

Due to a migraine, I didn't do her hair yesterday but will today and I will post some pics. She played a soccer game without the method, then went to tame some wild donkeys at the barn and her hair was kind of trashed at the end of the day. It definitely is a very protective method. Will keep folks updated.

GRU
November 2nd, 2010, 07:50 AM
GRU -- you got a lotta hair, Mama!

I think that might qualify for understatement of the year! :p But yeah, if *my* hair can be happy with this method, it really can work!

I wanted to say we are not using the Denman brush -- I just use a regular plastic wide pick. It works fine. I'm kind of afraid to use a brush at all, since my skills are not that good.

I don't use the Denman (or any other brand of brush) for this method either. I use a Conair Wet Styling Comb (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Styling-Essentials-Wet-Styling-93565-Comb/14654069), which I consider to be the mutant offspring of a comb and a brush. It does a good job of distributing the product in my hair, and it lines up my strands so they curl together instead of frizzing apart.

Vermelha
November 2nd, 2010, 12:19 PM
I was curious about 4b....and build-up. I'm thinking ACV or clarifying once in a while might help with that.

Also, my daughter is not a longhair...She is far above the shoulder in a bob and for her it did work. She is not a 4b thought. I have a few photos of her hair in an album on my profile.

Yeah, Teri's routine doesn't work for every hair type, as many may think. It makes my 3b/3c hair WAY too soggy, but I can't even attempt this on my mom's 4a/4b hair or her hair will look, well, like it has a bunch of conditioner in it.

Buddaphlyy
November 2nd, 2010, 03:13 PM
Build up of what? :confused: I've been doing a modified version of Teri's method for a year now and my hair hasn't built up anything. Maybe using a different product would give you a better result?

A build up of conditioner. I have tried Teri's method and the CG method with cone free and cone filled condish and I always get build up. I'm glad the method works for you, but it doesn't work for my fine 4B.

I don't use ACV, but I do clarify with shampoo (Teri uses shampoo also). It just seemed a waste of time and product to do Teri's method when I could get better results just co washing and rinsing it out.

CurlyTresses
November 2nd, 2010, 04:07 PM
I think that might qualify for understatement of the year! :p But yeah, if *my* hair can be happy with this method, it really can work!

I don't use the Denman (or any other brand of brush) for this method either. I use a Conair Wet Styling Comb (http://www.walmart.com/ip/Styling-Essentials-Wet-Styling-93565-Comb/14654069), which I consider to be the mutant offspring of a comb and a brush. It does a good job of distributing the product in my hair, and it lines up my strands so they curl together instead of frizzing apart.

Gru, I viewed the link you gave for the "Conair Wet Styling Comb", but it doesn't show price for my area. About how much is the cost for this comb? Thanks in advance.

Gru, also want to say thanks for all your hairtips, very helpful. Today I picked up 2 of those "sports headbands" from Sallys for when I henna my hair. They are pretty tight but should hold the wrapping tightly.

CurlyTresses
November 2nd, 2010, 04:12 PM
I tried this last night, and remembered two things:
It's really important for me to use a conditioner with lots of slip as the rinsing conditioner, before using the Denman brush to comb the other conditioner through - - that cuts down on the comb stress;
Fully separating my hair into strands really does define the curl more -- and takes time!
Putting that much conditioner on makes my hair sticky and feel flat.
But it looked great when I got up this morning! (I slept with it piled above my pillow.) Even at the end of a day at work it looked non-frizzy and great... And I got two hair compliments -- one from a colleague, the other from a stranger.

I posted two pictures in my album -- both say (TC), a code I hope I remember -- showing my hair tonight. (Looks pretty much like my current signature, but I can tell there is less frizz. Oh, yes, and it was still really wet when I woke up this morning! Conditioner does not dry as quick as water, I guess.)

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=78&pictureid=87345

Darkwaves, your hair came out very pretty. Did you use conditioner only or conditioner and gel? TIA :)

darkwaves
November 2nd, 2010, 05:36 PM
CurlyTresses -- just conditioner... but I think I used too much or what I used is too heavy for my hair. By today (3nd day) most curls are really weighed down, even though I misted them this morning to freshen. It looks greasy in place... not what I like!

GRU
November 2nd, 2010, 06:44 PM
Gru, I viewed the link you gave for the "Conair Wet Styling Comb", but it doesn't show price for my area. About how much is the cost for this comb? Thanks in advance.

I'm probably the world's biggest cheapskate when it comes to spending money on myself, so I'm going to say that the comb didn't cost more than five dollars. (I got mine at Walmart, not sure if other stores carry it -- this was the first time I'd ever seen it.) If it was ten dollars, I would have just scoffed at the lunacy and put it back on the peg and walked away! It's just a plastic thing, nothing all that special other than the placement of the tines.

Gru, also want to say thanks for all your hairtips, very helpful. Today I picked up 2 of those "sports headbands" from Sallys for when I henna my hair. They are pretty tight but should hold the wrapping tightly.

You're very welcome! I've learned sooooo much from everyone here at LHC, and I'm happy to be able to contribute as well! :D Like I said, stretch the band out overnight on a big bowl or something before you use it, unless you can handle having your head squeezed like a pimple about to pop! ;)

CurlyTresses
November 2nd, 2010, 09:32 PM
I'm probably the world's biggest cheapskate when it comes to spending money on myself, so I'm going to say that the comb didn't cost more than five dollars. (I got mine at Walmart, not sure if other stores carry it -- this was the first time I'd ever seen it.) If it was ten dollars, I would have just scoffed at the lunacy and put it back on the peg and walked away! It's just a plastic thing, nothing all that special other than the placement of the tines.

You're very welcome! I've learned sooooo much from everyone here at LHC, and I'm happy to be able to contribute as well! :D Like I said, stretch the band out overnight on a big bowl or something before you use it, unless you can handle having your head squeezed like a pimple about to pop! ;)

LOL - OMGosh your post made me laugh. Yes, I did use it today and it was soo tight I almost thought I was going to get a headache (used it with my honey treatment to hold shower cap), but it did workout pretty good. Glad I picked it up and will stretch it some.

And the comb sounds like the price would be right for me. Will look to see if i can find it. Thanks again for all your helpful tips. :):o

ETA: Gru - your hair is ABSOLUTELY Beautiful and an inspiration:bowtome: for curly hair - loving the color also. :bow:

CurlyTresses
November 2nd, 2010, 09:46 PM
CurlyTresses -- just conditioner... but I think I used too much or what I used is too heavy for my hair. By today (3nd day) most curls are really weighed down, even though I misted them this morning to freshen. It looks greasy in place... not what I like!

Yes, might be the conditioner you used. Maybe try it with a lighter conditioner. Keep us updated if you continue with this method and thanks for responding. :o

Niwa
November 3rd, 2010, 01:46 PM
This is why I say I do a "modified" version of Teri's method. I don't shampoo at all -- I CO-wash. Then while my hair is still coated with conditioner in the shower, I detangle with a wide-toothed comb, followed by a three-row comb (kind of a cross between a comb and a brush). My hair is COMPLETELY detangled at this point (and it's the only time of day I ever do it, so there is always a full day and night's worth of tangles by now).

After detangling, I rinse out the washing conditioner, do an ACV rinse, do a partial-rinse of the ACV mixture (just kind of run my hair under the shower once), then add conditioner onto the top part of my head, mixing it well with the residual water. When that's well-saturated, I kind of "squeegee" it off my head and down to my length, and squeegee out the rest of the moisture from my length. Then I apply more conditioner to the length. (this gives me a more diluted product near my roots, where too much weight would drag out the curls even more, plus they don't get tangly that far up)

After I have my ending conditioner in my hair, I re-detangle (doesn't take much, it doesn't get very tangled in the rinsing and conditioner-applying process) with the three-row comb. Depending on how small/separated I want my curl clumps, I either just use the comb for smaller clumps, or I use the comb plus my fingers for bigger clumps (as I run the comb down my hair, I have my fingers spread out on the backside of the comb, so it "glues" a bunch of the smaller strands together as they pass through the comb and between my fingers).

Then I do a modified plop with a turbie-twist, dry off my body and get out of the shower, trade my turbie-twist for an old t-shirt done turban-style, get dressed, remove the t-shirt turban, shake my head, and walk out the door.

By detangling in the shower (always from the bottom up) while DRENCHED in conditioner, I don't have any breakage (I do get lots of sheds, but those are just the hairs that fell out the day before but never fell because they were all caught up in the neighboring strands). The way Teri demonstrates holding the top part of your hair so it doesn't pull while working out a snarl tells me that she's using way too much pressure to detangle (IMO). By taking small sections and using LOTS of conditioner (Suave Naturals Tropical Coconut -- super cheap!), there shouldn't be any yanking or pulling necessary.Yea, regardless of how gentle the routine you describe is, this would be way too much manipulation for my hair, and much too involved time-wise for me to do on a daily or even biweekly basis. Also, the effectiveness of using the comb to clump your curls is a consequence of your hair texture; that approach wouldn't work for many others who need a brush to make the curls "stick". To each her own though; clearly, Teri's regimen and modifications of it work for you and others, so good.

:confused: Conditioner doesn't get on my back. You're fortunate then.

spidermom
November 3rd, 2010, 01:56 PM
This is the best result I got with this method (a year ago):
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c79/spidermom/November2009.jpg
P.S. - those longest "twigs" at the bottom aren't from my hair being uneven but from a few strands being stubbornly straight.

GRU
November 3rd, 2010, 04:44 PM
Yea, regardless of how gentle the routine you describe is, this would be way too much manipulation for my hair, and much too involved time-wise for me to do on a daily or even biweekly basis.

It probably sounds like a lot of time, but it probably takes me a grand total of 15 minutes, *possibly* 20 if I'm really groggy that morning, and that includes all my other showerly duties and drying off my body, etc. But I'm not in the 4 range, either, only 3b/3c.

Also, the effectiveness of using the comb to clump your curls is a consequence of your hair texture; that approach wouldn't work for many others who need a brush to make the curls "stick".

Honestly, the "comb" is probably more like a brush, with its three rows of offset tines. That's probably why it works so much better for me than just using a comb did before I got the wet-styling comb.

To each her own though; clearly, Teri's regimen and modifications of it work for you and others, so good.

That's the long and short of it, right there.

Everyone's hair is sooooo unique, and what works for one doesn't necessarily work for the other. I can easily put a few tablespoons of coconut oil in my hair, and I hear how other folks (with straighter, finer hair) use ONE DROP of oil and it's still too much!

Fortunately, with all the diversity here, most people can find some nuggets of wisdom here and there that will work for their own situation.

mwedzi
November 4th, 2010, 02:34 AM
I haven't read her book, but know her general method from her website. She stopped by LHCF, too, when there was a thread about her. I think she is truly type 3 from the diameter of her curls. But if you brush her hair out, it looks fuzzier like a type 4.

As for 4bs, well, I can't speak for them all, of course. But I don't think it will work for most. Our coils are just too small to go through the whole head defining curls. It would take hours and hours on end, and the result of loose, shrunken hair, even after this shingling, would likely be so tangled after drying that you'd regret it anyway. And even if you didn't , the coils are so small that no one could see them without getting right close up on your hair anyway. It would still have an afro, cloud like appearance. I can't even use the brush she does, as it rips hair out of my head.

I really like Teri's hair, though. It's gorgeous. Just a whole different world from my own.

Vermelha
November 4th, 2010, 07:26 AM
I haven't read her book, but know her general method from her website. She stopped by LHCF, too, when there was a thread about her. I think she is truly type 3 from the diameter of her curls. But if you brush her hair out, it looks fuzzier like a type 4.

As for 4bs, well, I can't speak for them all, of course. But I don't think it will work for most. Our coils are just too small to go through the whole head defining curls. It would take hours and hours on end, and the result of loose, shrunken hair, even after this shingling, would likely be so tangled after drying that you'd regret it anyway. And even if you didn't , the coils are so small that no one could see them without getting right close up on your hair anyway. It would still have an afro, cloud like appearance. I can't even use the brush she does, as it rips hair out of my head.

I really like Teri's hair, though. It's gorgeous. Just a whole different world from my own.

I can speak on that! I tried this with my sister's 4b hair (she's transitioning)...it was a catastrophe! Her coils were much too small to do this and the Denman didn't penetrate all that well. I ended up giving her a blowout. My mother, who has 4a/4b hair and is also transitioning, also had a hard time just doing the conditioner wash and detangling with a wide tooth comb.

In fact, one girl with Type 4 hair (can't remember which because she was wearing a wig) asked me how I got my curls so defined. I told her about the Tightly Curly method and she went home and tried it. She came back to me the next day P/O'ed because her hair didn't come out like mine. :( She showed me her hair, full of conditioner and matted. I was soooo embarrassed! She called me out in public, and I deserved it to be honest.

I guess Type 3 and Type 4 hair is more different than I thought, despite what people speculate. She may have thought that our hair texture was the same, but she and I both misjudged.

Niwa
November 4th, 2010, 08:49 AM
I guess Type 3 and Type 4 hair is more different than I thought, despite what people speculate. She may have thought that our hair texture was the same, but she and I both misjudged.I actually find there are more differences within types than between type when one gets to the 3b to 4b range. Some type 3s wouldn't like Teri's regimen, while it would work well for some type 4s. This is because tightly-curled heads of hair are very complex, probably the most complex, in ways that go beyond hair type. I think I can comfortably say that Teri's regimen wouldn't work for a type 4b, but whether it would work for types ranging from 3b to 4a depends a lot on the other traits. For instance, I find it useful to inquire not only into the hair type, but also into whether the hair is fine, medium, or coarse; dense or thin; forms curls, corkscrews, coils, small waves, or kinks; hangs or is prone to an afro shape etc.

All of my hair is type 4, yet Teri's regimen would work wonderfully for the middle of my hair (4a, coarse, dense, wave-like (each hair looks like a small, undulating wave), hanging) and the back of my hair (4a, fine, thin, corkscrew, hanging). Teri's regimen might make me go bald in the front (4a, medium, dense, corkscrew, afro-like) and sides (4b, fine, thin, kinky, afro-like). I don't have time to divide my hair by the many different textures and use a different regimen on each (yielding a bunch of different looks for a crazy look overall), so I go with regimens that work for my entire head.

Vermelha
November 4th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I actually find there are more differences within types than between type when one gets to the 3b to 4b range. Some type 3s wouldn't like Teri's regimen, while it would work well for some type 4s. This is because tightly-curled heads of hair are very complex, probably the most complex, in ways that go beyond hair type. I think I can comfortably say that Teri's regimen wouldn't work for a type 4b, but whether it would work for types ranging from 3b to 4a depends a lot on the other traits. For instance, I find it useful to inquire not only into the hair type, but also into whether the hair is fine, medium, or coarse; dense or thin; forms curls, corkscrews, coils, small waves, or kinks; hangs or is prone to an afro shape etc.

All of my hair is type 4, yet Teri's regimen would work wonderfully for the middle of my hair (4a, coarse, dense, wave-like (each hair looks like a small, undulating wave), hanging) and the back of my hair (4a, fine, thin, corkscrew, hanging). Teri's regimen might make me go bald in the front (4a, medium, dense, corkscrew, afro-like) and sides (4b, fine, thin, kinky, afro-like). I don't have time to divide my hair by the many different textures and use a different regimen on each (yielding a bunch of different looks for a crazy look overall), so I go with regimens that work for my entire head.

Very true.

darkwaves
November 4th, 2010, 06:18 PM
I think it depends, too, on how porous your hair is. This is a factor I don't really understand, but which was discussed here a while back.

I think mine is pretty non-porous (based on how much dye the hairdresser had to use when it was short and I tried dying it), so maybe the large amount of conditioner didn't soak in the way it might have with more porous hair. If so, that would explain why, by day two, it started looking really weighed down, then by day three, greasy.

Still -- when I wore my hair like this on Monday, I had two hair compliments -- one from a total stranger, a nurse giving me a flu shot. (That was weird.) And another (late, because also re: Monday's hair) one today. So for a one-day wonder, this works for me. (Again, though, my hair was already in defined sections from the way I'd been handling it the previous two weeks, so only limited wear and tear getting it brushed with the Denman.)

I've ordered her book - I'll post once I get it, then perhaps sell or give away on the Swap...

Beesweet
November 5th, 2010, 07:12 AM

So, what is your regimen? I always like to know what 4's do. I have another true 4 daughter who relaxes -- more like a texturizer...she just leaves it in for a few minutes, but it still does relaxer damage. She is finally getting comfortable with her superhero curls, and may one day decide not to relax.....

Niwa
November 5th, 2010, 10:48 AM
So, what is your regimen? I always like to know what 4's do. I have another true 4 daughter who relaxes -- more like a texturizer...she just leaves it in for a few minutes, but it still does relaxer damage. She is finally getting comfortable with her superhero curls, and may one day decide not to relax.....When my hair was shorter, I did a shake and go: I washed it with conditioner each day, and then while my hair was dripping wet, I applied leave-in conditioner mixed with oil. I would shake my head lightly to make the curls clump. Over time, this made my tiny curls clump into a really adorable curl fro. I would pull the fro back with a scarf or headband so that the front was sleek and flat, and the fro started at the crown of my head. I miss that look very much. I combed my hair only when I detangled in 5 or 6 sections and deep conditioned, and that was roughly once every other week.

As my hair got longer (12+ inches), the shake and go led increasingly to tangles so that I had to choose between my fro and growing my hair out. I chose to grow my hair out, which meant wearing my hair in twists and box braids, and then unraveling these for wavy, crimpy looks. I still washed with conditioner only and detangled no more than twice a month.

I find that where most type 4s go wrong is in using shampoo (our scalps are not anywhere near as oily as other hair types' scalps); combing too often; and (if they relax) relaxing too often; and abusing their hair to make it grow "down" the way other hair types do. Our natural hair grows "out", not "down"; it is soft, not silky; and it is aerodynamic, not bouncy. I find that type 4s who accept their hair do very well.

chen bao jun
January 19th, 2016, 10:38 AM
I thought this old thread was worth bumping. I remember that when I discovered Teri's method (which I have since modified a bit because I don't have the tiiiime to do all that defining and keep my head wet, loose, so long) it was such a revelation. I had been doing braid outs (disaster, broke my hair off like crazy) and then starting trying 'curl' products (my hair felt so gunky and gummy and wasn't moisturized well plus they were so expensive)--and to find out that I could just comb through (I started with the denman but finger comb now) some leave in conditioner that I bought at the drugstore and get SOFT moisturized hair--such a revelation.

I don't know if someone else might be helped by reading this. So I bumped it.

Raquel29
July 30th, 2019, 05:25 PM
Ok I am sad that I am just finding this thread YEARS later, but oh well.....ain't no time like the present. I have been natural for SIX years and my hair is still at my neck when it is fully dry (4b shrinkage). I have known about Teri LaFlesh since going natural, fully committed to the process while I was transitioning and like other 4's noted in 2010 it was a DISASTER. Fast forward today where my whole head is completely natural, I tried the process again! It works!!! Like nothing else that I have tried! BUT it literally takes me the ENTIRE the day. I MEAN THE ENTIRE DAY, get up at 6:30AM to be Almost finished with my hair at 6:00 PM........this is INSANE. Ya girl want some long hair though!.......but even after all that time my hair is still frizzy in some place. Its like a balancing act with my hair. Teri says if you have frizz then you need more conditioner/water or you need to separate the curls more.........well let me just say the more I separate the more I spread the frizz. Instead of just one piece of curl being frizzy now I have two! I focus on my bangs for trial and error of this method and what I found (for my bangs only, haven't tried on my entire head) is that if I find a very small curl that after twirling frizzes then I combine with another small section curl and twirl them together and they form a whole lot more defined curl together than they do on their own.........Now I know this against what Teri does and I agree with Teri on separating the curls into their individual curls.....which I do BUT if they frizz on me.....best believe I'm combining it with a neighbor curl. because separating does not always work neither does adding more conditioner/water........just a thought. Anyone else having any tips on this method......really trying to make it work for me. Wish I could post a pic, but I'm a newbie still don't have those privileges

blackgothicdoll
July 30th, 2019, 05:39 PM
Ok I am sad that I am just finding this thread YEARS later, but oh well.....ain't no time like the present. I have been natural for SIX years and my hair is still at my neck when it is fully dry (4b shrinkage). I have known about Teri LaFlesh since going natural, fully committed to the process while I was transitioning and like other 4's noted in 2010 it was a DISASTER. Fast forward today where my whole head is completely natural, I tried the process again! It works!!! Like nothing else that I have tried! BUT it literally takes me the ENTIRE the day. I MEAN THE ENTIRE DAY, get up at 6:30AM to be Almost finished with my hair at 6:00 PM........this is INSANE. Ya girl want some long hair though!.......but even after all that time my hair is still frizzy in some place. Its like a balancing act with my hair. Teri says if you have frizz then you need more conditioner/water or you need to separate the curls more.........well let me just say the more I separate the more I spread the frizz. Instead of just one piece of curl being frizzy now I have two! I focus on my bangs for trial and error of this method and what I found (for my bangs only, haven't tried on my entire head) is that if I find a very small curl that after twirling frizzes then I combine with another small section curl and twirl them together and they form a whole lot more defined curl together than they do on their own.........Now I know this against what Teri does and I agree with Teri on separating the curls into their individual curls.....which I do BUT if they frizz on me.....best believe I'm combining it with a neighbor curl. because separating does not always work neither does adding more conditioner/water........just a thought. Anyone else having any tips on this method......really trying to make it work for me. Wish I could post a pic, but I'm a newbie still don't have those privileges

I don't think these methods are made for 4b/c hair. Unpopular opinion, but these types of hair need to be stretched. I believe that as well with some type 4a's (though not all, I see plenty of type 4a YouTubers that can go curly and grow their hair very long, but hair like mine is just not that 'type' of 4a that wants to be left to its own devices. It wants to be a frizzball and tie itself in knots).

The amount of manipulation and product and time is just not sustainable for this type of hair, and constantly manipulating this type of hair is damaging. Braids and twists, braidouts and twistouts are the way to go.

blackgothicdoll
July 30th, 2019, 05:43 PM
double post......

YvetteVarie
July 31st, 2019, 04:26 AM
I don't think these methods are made for 4b/c hair. Unpopular opinion, but these types of hair need to be stretched. I believe that as well with some type 4a's (though not all, I see plenty of type 4a YouTubers that can go curly and grow their hair very long, but hair like mine is just not that 'type' of 4a that wants to be left to its own devices. It wants to be a frizzball and tie itself in knots).

The amount of manipulation and product and time is just not sustainable for this type of hair, and constantly manipulating this type of hair is damaging. Braids and twists, braidouts and twistouts are the way to go.

My hair agrees with Blackgothicdoll. The less I manipulate my hair, the more length I retain. I'm a 4a/b, and my hair needs to stay stretched, or else, I'll get knots and lose length again. It's a YMMV situation. If it works for you, go ahead. Curly and kinky curly hair has no one size fits all formula