PDA

View Full Version : Man with Worlds longest hair- Is his really that thick? :o

Dreamkitty
October 31st, 2010, 01:00 PM
I know the man with the worlds longest hair, wears a special hat to keep his hair but in videos and pics I have seen, his hair looks extremely thick. I am at a loss at how thick his hair is at his age.:confused:

Take a look at this pic, his hair looks like its part of the hat?.

http://i53.tinypic.com/t9bncz.jpg

BeautifulBella
October 31st, 2010, 01:03 PM
that isn't a hat, his hair is extremely matted

nemileo
October 31st, 2010, 01:04 PM
But it is one big dreadlock. Probably layers and layers of his hair, from all his life. If you ever feel a ponytail of dreads, you can feel it is a lot thicker than regular hair because of the tangled hair. His hair is pretty awesome though! I bet it has a lot of weight!

Igor
October 31st, 2010, 01:13 PM
But it is one big dreadlock. Probably layers and layers of his hair, from all his life. If you ever feel a ponytail of dreads, you can feel it is a lot thicker than regular hair because of the tangled hair. His hair is pretty awesome though! I bet it has a lot of weight!

Exactly. A normal head of hair contains only the hairs that are still attached to the scalp, dreadlocks contains all the hairs that are still growing plus all the shedded hairs going all the way back to when the dreads were formed first

Funnily enough, I wonder if there is any still-growing hairs at the end of his enormous dreadlock. The still-growing roots could be attached to long-since shedded hairs, attached to long-since shedded hairs, attached to long-since shedded hairs, attached to…

Dreamkitty
October 31st, 2010, 01:14 PM
I had to google what dreadlocks meant lol, but oh my his hair is so thick and long. I would love to grow my hair that long and thick.:eyebrows:

spidermom
October 31st, 2010, 01:37 PM
I had to google what dreadlocks meant lol, but oh my his hair is so thick and long. I would love to grow my hair that long and thick.:eyebrows:

So you see something positive. When I see that hair, I think "I'd rather shave my head!"

Dreamkitty
October 31st, 2010, 01:49 PM
So you see something positive. When I see that hair, I think "I'd rather shave my head!"

After seeing what dreadlocks look like, I can't say I am a fan lol:o.

I love that the guy has such long hair and that it is so thick.

But I don't like the texture as it seems very coarse, like a rope. It also must give him a headache balancing all that hair, it would be hard to wash it too, not very practical.

BeautifulBella
October 31st, 2010, 02:04 PM
I am surprised that he also does not have the longest nails in the world, his hair looks really unkempt, it must weigh a ton!

enfys
October 31st, 2010, 02:14 PM
I'd like to see what his terminal length is; that dreaded mass is years worth of shed hairs still trapped in there. It's not that thick at his scalp. Imagine 100 hairs shed a day (average); that's 36500 a year. After three years there's twice as much hair in his dreadlock than on his head, making it look twice as thick. After six years there's three times more, after nine years there's four times more; that would give me about a 20" pony circumference! See where I'm gonig with this?

To me, the longest hair should be loose hair, where every strand end is attached to the scalp.

ETA: He's not the man with the world's longest hair anymore. He passed away in February this year. His hair was last measured at 5.6m in 2004.

Dragon
October 31st, 2010, 02:17 PM
I would hate to have hair like that. Wonder how many years of hair that is?

Dreams_in_Pink
October 31st, 2010, 02:30 PM

I have to agree. Photos of his are used on the internet as a proof that long hair is disgusting :( I also agree that the thickness is because of shed hairs that got trapped.

jeanniet
October 31st, 2010, 02:52 PM
I'm wondering how they could determine he had the longest hair if they didn't know whether the hair at the end of his dread was actually attached to his head (if that makes sense). I always thought "longest hair" meant "longest continual strand." Seems as though "longest dreads" should really be a separate category, and just as special because it's not easy to grow long dreads.

Sammich
October 31st, 2010, 03:04 PM
I have to agree. Photos of his are used on the internet as a proof that long hair is disgusting :( I also agree that the thickness is because of shed hairs that got trapped.

Ick. Agreed... and that is really sad and does not make sense at all! :p (About using as proof long hair = disgusting.)

triumphator!
October 31st, 2010, 03:09 PM
Y'all should have seen the look on my face when I opened that picture. To each his own...

Kome
October 31st, 2010, 03:13 PM
I hate to say this but... it looks like a giant turd. :(

xoxophelia
October 31st, 2010, 03:35 PM
I think he has grown his hair this way for spiritual reasons if I remember correctly.

manderly
October 31st, 2010, 06:03 PM
I'm wondering how they could determine he had the longest hair if they didn't know whether the hair at the end of his dread was actually attached to his head (if that makes sense). I always thought "longest hair" meant "longest continual strand." Seems as though "longest dreads" should really be a separate category, and just as special because it's not easy to grow long dreads.

Well, it is still technically attached to his head ;)

Would one huge dreadlock like that also be considered a Polish Plait?

RadiantNeedle
October 31st, 2010, 06:38 PM
I hate to say this but... it looks like a giant turd. :(

>_< that was my thought as well. I Loooove dreadlocks, but the plural there is the important aspect!

sherigayle
November 1st, 2010, 08:29 AM
Well, it is still technically attached to his head ;)

Would one huge dreadlock like that also be considered a Polish Plait?

ROFL *snort*

aenflex
November 1st, 2010, 10:20 AM
That hair looks disgusting. I'm sorry. I don't consider it much of an achievement in growth when it's all one fused log of hair, which undoubtedly stinks to high heaven. Yech. I'm sorry that's just off-putting...

Calaelen
November 1st, 2010, 12:32 PM
I for one, love this picture, and always have, because of it's uniqueness and diversity. I'd also chance a guess that if his locks were grown like this with a spiritual intent, that he took good care of it with herbs and scented oils, so smell was likely not as big an issue as you'd think.

Opinions are always allowed, but maybe we should all keep the KNIT rules in our minds when posting? I know of one member who was treated so similarly to this, that she never returned, and, I just wonder if this man were to read this thread what he would think of our community. Just a thought.

Friesiangirl
November 1st, 2010, 12:37 PM
I for one, love this picture, and always have, because of it's uniqueness and diversity. I'd also chance a guess that if his locks were grown like this with a spiritual intent, that he took good care of it with herbs and scented oils, so smell was likely not as big an issue as you'd think.

Opinions are always allowed, but maybe we should all keep the KNIT rules in our minds when posting? I know of one member who was treated so similarly to this, that she never returned, and, I just wonder if this man were to read this thread what he would think of our community. Just a thought.

The incident you refer to deeply affected me. And not in a good way. :(

I know it may not seem appealing to some, but it's honorable to put so much dedication to one's spiritual pursuits.

Hayley

aenflex
November 1st, 2010, 12:51 PM
I certainly am sorry if my particular post offended anyone out there - not my intent at all.
My opinion was completely based on the hygienical and aesthetic aspects of the hair, not the journey the fellow took to get there or his faith. I apologize and should have been clearer there. :(

However, I must say that in my opinion, simply because something is cultivated with spiritual intent does not make it a thing of beauty, not in the physical sense, at least not in this case.

Tornerose
November 1st, 2010, 02:43 PM
Longest dreads should DEFINATELY be somewhat different from longest hair.

adiapalic
November 1st, 2010, 04:57 PM

I think this is the most thoughtful post I've seen in a while. I really appreciate your consideration of other cultures Calaelen. I try also to keep an open mind when I'm exposed to different cultural practices. When I first saw this man's picture, I never once felt disgusted or repulsed... or sneer at it. I did, however, react this way to some of the comments I have read thus far... what a shame. :nono:

adiapalic
November 1st, 2010, 05:04 PM
I certainly am sorry if my particular post offended anyone out there - not my intent at all.
My opinion was completely based on the hygienical and aesthetic aspects of the hair, not the journey the fellow took to get there or his faith. I apologize and should have been clearer there. :(

However, I must say that in my opinion, simply because something is cultivated with spiritual intent does not make it a thing of beauty, not in the physical sense, at least not in this case.

[emphasis mine]

That's a very closed thing to say--for someone who quotes the Dalai Lama.

"The creatures that inhabit this earth-be they human beings or animals-are here to contribute, each in its own particular way, to the beauty and prosperity of the world." - Dalai Lama

kwaniesiam
November 1st, 2010, 05:08 PM
I remember reading about him. He had one heck of a beaver tail, it was very impressive. He passed away not too long ago and grew his hair for spiritual reasons. Dreadlocks, be they many or one giant one do not smell and are not dirty if properly cared for. All they are is matted hair.

christine1989
November 1st, 2010, 05:23 PM
I think most of that is dead hair since dreadlocks trap all of the shed hair (ewww!). Impressive nonetheless though.

DreadfulWoman
November 1st, 2010, 05:56 PM
Calaelen, I want to thank you for stepping in here, and changing the tone of this thread. This was the last thing I looked at this morning before leaving for work, and I was pretty bummed out about it all day. I debated over whether to return to this thread and respond, or not to return to it at all. I'm glad that I did return because I got to see that someone had already said exactly what needed to be said. ThankYou :grouphug:

Nae
November 1st, 2010, 06:32 PM
I wonder how heavy it is? It looks like it would take a lot of dedication to just deal with it on a daily basis. If it is religiously motivated I give that man huge props for that amount of dedication to his faith. Very cool.

I wonder how it looks from the back? It is hard for me to determine exactly where it starts from that picture. Very interesting! Thanks for posting.

AnthonyB93
March 11th, 2013, 03:40 PM
ew ew ew ew ew shudder:

jacqueline101
March 11th, 2013, 03:48 PM
I'm glad he has his hair how he wants it. It's his it may not be the style we choose but it's his.

Long_hair_bear
March 11th, 2013, 03:56 PM
Like others have said, it looks really heavy!

CurlyCurves
March 12th, 2013, 11:58 AM
We are all entitled to our opinion. It is all very well being politically correct, but I know *I* do not automatically think something is beautiful or divine just because it has some religious or spiritual connotation.

samanthaj08
March 13th, 2013, 08:27 AM

I feel the same :X

didrash
March 13th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Well, I think we have the right to dislike something and say so. I have the same feelings as Spidermom on this matter. Otherwise all human communication will be full of hypocrisy, sugar coating and lies. And what is worse, a self-imposed censorship - what happened to the freedom of speech huh? We should not use insulting words, but I found the picture unpleasant and no, I refuse to stay quiet or pretend I did not.

kitschy
March 13th, 2013, 09:07 AM
I too find his hair just, um, revolting shudder:. My spirituality demands that I am honest, to pretend that I find his hair attractive would be dishonest. I can value the fact that he grew it out for his own spiritual reasons, but that doesn't mean I must appreciate the aesthetics.

lapushka
March 13th, 2013, 09:12 AM
I saw this picture before. You can hardly call that hair anymore. It's a dry, gnarly, matted mass of "something" or other. The reasons he's maintaining his hair like that might be spiritual, all good and well, but that doesn't make it pleasant to look at or hygienic for that matter - I doubt that's the case anymore in this particular instance.

arelrios
March 13th, 2013, 10:36 AM
I'm sorry, but for me is just looks ew, ew, ew ... but, this is just my opinion...

chen bao jun
March 13th, 2013, 11:19 AM
I think people do have a right to state their opinions in a polite manner. also, saying something is 'spiritual' doesn't mean anything much, if you think about it. Spiritual is not necessarily good. some people's 'spirituality' involves human sacrifice or female genital mutilation, to use just two examples. I think maybe 'ew, ew, ew' is not a reasoned out response but saying that something does not 'look hygienic' is as valid as comment as saying 'it took a lot of hard work to grow that.' then others can join in and say 'actually, it is not unhygenic in my opinion because....This is called 'debate' and I think we would be sorry if we shut it down.
Personally, I am not fond of dreads. They have now gone mainstream and many people's dreads are clearly well-kempt and not dirty and actually sometimes a style statement (whether that is good or bad). However, I personally a) have prejudices because I grew up in the culture where dreads were associated with a religion that involved smoking drugs and not being, shall we say, hard-working (which is a quality I personally value);b)don't like the idea of keeping shed hairs attached to one's head and have seen many situations where dirt was clearly involved in keeping the dreads together, rather than crochet hooks and don't care for that, either. I refuse to think I am a bad person for feeling like this. I would not treat someone in a cruel manner because they had dreads or try to force them to change their hairstyle or deny them a means of making a livelihood or anything like that. I would certainly not refuse to speak to or be unfriendly to a person because of whatever hairstyle (though I would probably keep some physical distance if I could see and smell that the person was dirty). In fact, I have friends and acquaintances who have dreads and we get along fine. If the person was my child, and was a child, I would tell them when it was time to get a haircut and if they were adult, I would respect their choice and say nothing (if the dreads were clean) but look hopefully towards the day when they would cut them off.
this forum is not an appropriate place to discuss religion but I would see no problem with debating religion with a person who had dreads (in real life) and was a Rastafarian. I don't have a problem with people asking me why I hold my Christian beliefs and can explain my reasons to people who sincerely question them (I used to question Christianity a lot myself) and in my opinion, there is no reason not to discuss religion with people (in person) in a polite and respectful manner, and even question, and let them explain themselves. If someone is in a religion where you can't ever question them or ask about it and they can't explain it to people, I think that THAT is problem. And if you have to shut everyone else up without hearing them out, that is a problem too--there is usually something wrong going on when things just simply cannot be questioned or discussed or even brought up.

woolyleprechaun
March 13th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Whoa, I didn't expect this in the thread! I wonder what the man himself felt about his hair causing controversy? In my opinion, its his choice, his hair, and its pretty unusual. We don't know what his 'one-giant-dread-routine' was, so I'm not going to cast aspersions on his hygene. I hear every day that MY hair is unhygenic due to its length and infrequent washing, when I know damn well its not; Im not subjecting this fella to those speculations, too :)
Look on the bright side- at least he didn't shed :D

faellen
March 13th, 2013, 03:01 PM
I find this interesting, if not aesthetically pleasing to me. It must've felt very heavy (when he was alive, anyway). I do like dreadlocks in general, though.

It actually surprises me that someone here didn't know what dreadlocks are. Makes me wonder if they have been living under a rock, lol

MonaMayfair
March 14th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Well, I think we have the right to dislike something and say so. I have the same feelings as Spidermom on this matter. Otherwise all human communication will be full of hypocrisy, sugar coating and lies. And what is worse, a self-imposed censorship - what happened to the freedom of speech huh? We should not use insulting words, but I found the picture unpleasant and no, I refuse to stay quiet or pretend I did not.

Well that's the thing with this site, and the reason I hardly ever post here anymore. If you disagree with the majority you frequently get nasty comments. Some vile woman, I forget who, told me I should go and find a different sort of forum more suited to my ideas because I voiced my truthful opinion about something or other, lol! I've been treated with barely veiled hostility SO many times, because my opinion has been the opposite of everyone else's, it's pretty funny in a site that's supposed to be "friendly"

Another girl who'd just joined (this was last year) and was posting a lot, was treated really rudely almost every single time. I was enjoying her posts personally, but other people didn't like her ideas or the fact she used text speak, which seems odd to me as this site is full of abbreviations and the nauseating "DD" "DH" etc.
I haven't seen a post from her since, and I'm not surprised, I considered the way she was treated nothing less than bullying.

Oh, and I found the photo of the long haired man revolting :(((

Thinthondiel
March 14th, 2013, 09:08 AM

I agree with this.

Well that's the thing with this site, and the reason I hardly ever post here anymore. If you disagree with the majority you frequently get nasty comments. Some vile woman, I forget who, told me I should go and find a different sort of forum more suited to my ideas because I voiced my truthful opinion about something or other, lol! I've been treated with barely veiled hostility SO many times, because my opinion has been the opposite of everyone else's, it's pretty funny in a site that's supposed to be "friendly"

Another girl who'd just joined (this was last year) and was posting a lot, was treated really rudely almost every single time. I was enjoying her posts personally, but other people didn't like her ideas or the fact she used text speak, which seems odd to me as this site is full of abbreviations and the nauseating "DD" "DH" etc.
I haven't seen a post from her since, and I'm not surprised, I considered the way she was treated nothing less than bullying.

Oh, and I found the photo of the long haired man revolting :(((

I'm not a big fan of text speak and understand the value of "clear" language on a message board with members from all over the world, but I do think there's a bit of a double standard here with all the abbreviations that are used on this site ("DH", "DD", "DF" etc. are little more than examples a different type of text speak, after all, which I as well find nauseating, btw., yet because these abbreviations aren't associated with teenagers and are used by more "mature" people, they're accepted).

I find the idea of one huge dreadlock gross. Interesting, but still gross. With such a big, thick, matted mass of hair I can't possibly see how someone would be able to clean it properly all the way through, short of cutting it off and putting it in a washing machine.

AnnaJamila
March 14th, 2013, 09:49 AM
If you can't say anything nice...

Neneka
March 14th, 2013, 10:14 AM
I think his hair is interesting. I might be weird but "weird" things very often make me curious while other people call them revolting. I would really like to touch that hair to find out how firm and heavy it is. Wov, I wonder what would it take if he wanted to shorten it...

And about text speak... English is not my first language and I really don't understand if someone writes "funnily". I am sure we have other people here who have this problem too. I myself use words like SO and DH and such but I think almost everyone get them. It's different than writing the whole text with weird abbreviations that aren't that commonly used in this kind of forums and message boards.

faellen
March 14th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Well that's the thing with this site, and the reason I hardly ever post here anymore. If you disagree with the majority you frequently get nasty comments.

Have to agree with you here, I've come across quite a few hypocrites. It seems you can be nasty here, as long as the majority are.

DarkCurls
March 15th, 2013, 01:11 PM
If you can't say anything nice...

This.

There are other goals in life than to have pretty hair... I doubt that's what this man was aiming for.

gthlvrmx
March 15th, 2013, 01:56 PM
thats awesome hair! :D :) i love dreads theyre so cool! :D :)

jeanniet
March 15th, 2013, 05:51 PM
I find it interesting that this thread was dredged up after two years just to say "ew."

DH, DS, and so forth are generally accepted shortcuts on internet forums, and have been for years (at least 10, judging from other forums I visit). Textspeak per se is not, and on LHC specifically we are requested not to use it on behalf of the members for whom English is not a native language. It really isn't that difficult to expand words, and if it helps other members I'm all for it. If you get nasty comments they should be reported every time.

gnome82
March 15th, 2013, 07:11 PM
thats awesome hair! :D :) i love dreads theyre so cool! :D :)

I think he was an amazing man, may he rest in peace :meditate:.

WilfredAllen
March 17th, 2013, 01:00 PM
Thats awesome!

Jorja
March 18th, 2013, 04:15 AM
With such a big, thick, matted mass of hair I can't possibly see how someone would be able to clean it properly all the way through, short of cutting it off and putting it in a washing machine.

:D I can picture him bald cross legged waiting in front of the washing maching

Dorothy
March 18th, 2013, 08:36 AM
I suspect this was some sort of spiritual journey for him, and western notions about clean, or practical, were probably not relevant.

Mrsbaybeegurl
March 18th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Calaelen I agree with you 100% This is the 2nd post I personally have the comments poking fun of someone with long hair in just the past couple of weeks here. It's easy to do until we look at the 100's of other post we have on here with members writing about how no one in their family/friends/co workers accepts their hair or tells them it's ugly, too scraggly, long, unhealthy, thick, curly, thin, grey, gross, too this, too that whateverrrrr and we all jump to support them by telling them it's their hair and how dare someone think they have a right to say those awful things. Just because this man wasn't a member here doesn't mean he shouldn't be protected in the same manner by our KNIT rule.

Also, I am in agreement with those who said World's Longest Hair and Longest Dreads should def be in a separate category. I want to know the longest naturally grown hair (longest terminal length) and then seeing something in the dreads category would be interesting all on it's own.

didrash
March 18th, 2013, 09:19 AM
And yet, I will say it again - I do not like his hair. And I would say it to his face if he asked my opinion on it. Ban me if you wish - such things will never stop me from telling my opinion. That would however explain the wave of long-term members recently banned - the censorship got too intense. And having lived in a country where one could go to prison for saying the "wrong" thing, censorship of opinion is not something I take lightly. It's OK to discuss "mainstream" hair people as being ignorant of proper hair care and "ruining" their hair, but wrong to express disapproval for this man's hair just because it's long or he did it for spiritual reasons? People used to burn other people at the stake for spiritual reasons, is that OK too? I do not mind dreadlocks in general, find them quite interesting although they would never suit me, but this... looks like he never even washed or combed it once in his life.

Kaelee
March 18th, 2013, 10:10 AM
And yet, I will say it again - I do not like his hair. And I would say it to his face if he asked my opinion on it. Ban me if you wish - such things will never stop me from telling my opinion. That would however explain the wave of long-term members recently banned - the censorship got too intense. And having lived in a country where one could go to prison for saying the "wrong" thing, censorship of opinion is not something I take lightly. It's OK to discuss "mainstream" hair people as being ignorant of proper hair care and "ruining" their hair, but wrong to express disapproval for this man's hair just because it's long or he did it for spiritual reasons? People used to burn other people at the stake for spiritual reasons, is that OK too? I do not mind dreadlocks in general, find them quite interesting although they would never suit me, but this... looks like he never even washed or combed it once in his life.

I'm behind you 100%. I don't like his hair either. But, "to each their own". I'm sure he liked it, that's why he had it that way. If I liked my hair that way, I'd have it that way too. I feel the same way about "conventional" haircare, really. If I were happy with fried hair, there are a million things I'd love to do to mine (bleach it and dye it teal and purple for one.)

I don't know about 'censorship' as I wasn't aware of any of that going on, but then I've been known to be oblivious to some things too. I hope it's not the case though. I like our membership here. Even if we DO fight we're usually cool about it. ;)

didrash
March 18th, 2013, 10:17 AM
Of course - it's his hair - if that's the way he likes it, that's the way he should have it. But I don't have to pretend I like it :). I am just irritated that lately, any opinion that contradicts that of the OP, gets answers like "Don't say this it isn't nice". One cannot complain of a bad haircut because we have some hair-dressers here, or one cannot say I don't like dreadlocks because some people here have them. Yet one can say how some women who regularly go to the salon or use this and this products are so and so - and we do not have an entry test that would stop such people from joining. Or one can complain of people not using English correctly - on an international forum... It just seems so one sided, more and more so each day, and it makes me sad.

Kaelee
March 18th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Of course - it's his hair - if that's the way he likes it, that's the way he should have it. But I don't have to pretend I like it :).

Then don't! ;)

MaryO
March 18th, 2013, 10:32 AM
Oh dear- he must have humungous neck pain! :-P

truepeacenik
March 18th, 2013, 10:34 AM
So, to answer the three year old original question, yes, his hair is that thick because dread locking knits all hairs into "ropes" of hair since she'd hairs stay in the knit pattern.
The exception is back combed straight hair. That I consider a matting, and that is what I had.

When I had to let my dreadies go, I did chop one to see what was inside. Not a lot of biological stuff. Some residue from a failed experiment and lots of flannel lint in a three inch section, probably before I realized water pressure was my friend.
It's a cross section of a learning curve!

I have seen waxed dreads, post shed, dissected and the wax is a big gummy mass in the center, with skin flakes, etc stuck in it.
So, don't use wax.

Kaelee
March 18th, 2013, 11:00 AM
I have seen waxed dreads, post shed, dissected and the wax is a big gummy mass in the center, with skin flakes, etc stuck in it.
So, don't use wax.

Ewww! :bigeyes:

HairFaerie
March 18th, 2013, 11:12 AM
I am willing to go out on a limb in saying that I am pretty sure that this man did NOT give two flying farts what anyone thought about his hair.

Growing hair for beauty and growing hair for spiritual purposes are entirely two different things.

Personally, I think his hair is beautiful. Not necessary aesthetically pleasing, but beautiful in a different way. I would have loved to have talked to him.

He wasn't here to decorate anyone's world, however, if people were willing to look past certain things, I am sure this man had a lot to share and teach that many people could have benefited from and probably did.

I have always been drawn to such things ever since I was young. If I saw someone like this in person, my first reaction wouldn't have been "Ewwwwww! Gross!" My first reaction would have been more along the lines of "Wow. I wonder why he did this and what it has taught him." It is very rare that you come across such people in the Western world. When I do, I try make the most out of it. Gifts/knowledge can come from the most unexpected places! Sometimes, even more so in things that repulse you! if you can look past things, you can get to their core/meaning/essence. If you can't, you may have lost out on an opportunity. ;)

Unicorn
March 18th, 2013, 02:31 PM
I'm as sure as I can be that this is the same man I saw on youtube or TV some time ago. If so, he grew his hair for spiritual reasons. Or rather he ceased cutting/combing his hair for spiritual reasons not as a 'styling' option, so the aesthetics are neither here nor there. I believe absence of vanity is one of the goals of his spiritual calling. He washed his hair regularly, with the help of his daughter, placing the long dread in a large bowl of water, to wash it thoroughly. It was then laid out in the sun to dry. (they had a less frantic pace of life than the average Westerner). I'm going from memory, so there may be some inaccuracy, but I think it was washed on a weekly or twice weekly basis. The single dread was coiled around on his head when he was traveling about on his bike during his day to day life.

Is this an aesthetic I would choose? No. Was I fascinated by his hair and how he cared for it? Yes.

I'm also sure he wouldn't have lost any sleep over people not liking his hair. He was patient with, if a little bemused by, the genuinely curious, such as the westerner who was making the film I watched, who asked various questions about his hair, in a genuine and respectful manner.

Unicorn

HairFaerie
March 18th, 2013, 02:47 PM
I did some more searches on this guy. He was from a small village in Vietnam. He is no longer alive. He stopped cutting his hair over 50 years ago because he got very ill whenever he cut his hair. He was a herbalist and healer and helped poor people in and around his village by giving them herbs/healing them for free. He chose to emulate the Buddhist monks in his area by living very simply. According to the articles, he washed his hair once or twice a year. There are a few other pictures of his hair, some showing it wrapped around his head. That's how he had to wear it most of the time to keep it out of the way. In some of the photos, they show him with his wife and they have big grin on their face. That is my favorite pic.

Unicorn
March 18th, 2013, 05:42 PM
It may have been a different person in that case HairFaerie, I think the one I saw was from India, they showed his daughter washing his hair, then showed it out on a sheet of material in the sun.

Unicorn

jeanniet
March 18th, 2013, 06:01 PM
Of course - it's his hair - if that's the way he likes it, that's the way he should have it. But I don't have to pretend I like it :). I am just irritated that lately, any opinion that contradicts that of the OP, gets answers like "Don't say this it isn't nice". One cannot complain of a bad haircut because we have some hair-dressers here, or one cannot say I don't like dreadlocks because some people here have them. Yet one can say how some women who regularly go to the salon or use this and this products are so and so - and we do not have an entry test that would stop such people from joining. Or one can complain of people not using English correctly - on an international forum... It just seems so one sided, more and more so each day, and it makes me sad.

But I have also seen people here saying things like floor length hair is creepy, or if they got a bad haircut they would beat up the stylist (or even stab them!)--yes, they're only words, but there are plenty of word choices to make. No one has to like everything they see, but the expression of that dislike really does matter sometimes. I don't see anything wrong with saying, "I don't like that, and wouldn't choose it for myself" or words to that effect, but saying "I think that's disgusting and it makes me want to vomit" is pushing the limit (just saying in general, not on this thread in particular), especially on a forum where members run the gammut from sebum-only to dreads to regular bleaching/straightening. You can think something is disgusting, but I don't think you necessarily have to say it.

Kaelee
March 19th, 2013, 09:25 AM
But I have also seen people here saying things like floor length hair is creepy, or if they got a bad haircut they would beat up the stylist (or even stab them!)--yes, they're only words, but there are plenty of word choices to make. No one has to like everything they see, but the expression of that dislike really does matter sometimes. I don't see anything wrong with saying, "I don't like that, and wouldn't choose it for myself" or words to that effect, but saying "I think that's disgusting and it makes me want to vomit" is pushing the limit (just saying in general, not on this thread in particular), especially on a forum where members run the gammut from sebum-only to dreads to regular bleaching/straightening. You can think something is disgusting, but I don't think you necessarily have to say it.

+1 :agree: :agree: :agree:

piffyanne
March 19th, 2013, 11:47 AM
+2 :smooch: :crush:

That's exactly my thought. Words are hurtful things.

imaroo
March 19th, 2013, 01:10 PM
I guess I'll just jump into the fray with my thoughts.

Words can be very hurtful, yes. Anyone who uses NW/SO or has dreadlocks, or only washes their hair once a week/month, you name it is probably already aware that their haircare routine could be considered "icky" to some. So, my guess is that most of them either don't share their routine with others, or they develop some thick skin.

I'm somebody who has never ever been able to develop thick skin. My feelings are hurt very easily. But....that is my problem.

I don't feel that anyone else should have to be censored because I'm sensitive to criticism or off-hand remarks. Personal freedom to choose how to style your hair, how to care for yourself, freedom of speech, or freedom for any purpose, really, is much more precious than my overly sensitive feelings.

It certainly would be easier if everybody tried to be kind to everyone else all the time. But, would it be interesting?

furnival
March 19th, 2013, 02:20 PM
I'm somebody who has never ever been able to develop thick skin. My feelings are hurt very easily. But....that is my problem.

I don't feel that anyone else should have to be censored because I'm sensitive to criticism or off-hand remarks. Personal freedom to choose how to style your hair, how to care for yourself, freedom of speech, or freedom for any purpose, really, is much more precious than my overly sensitive feelings.

:applause :flower:

Ishje
March 19th, 2013, 02:34 PM
I do not think it is just hair in there, there is also dust, sand, birds nests, long lost socks and probably the annoying dog from next door that disappeared month's ago.
well...I guess you all get my point.

but I do want to make clear that it does not bother me, I do not really consider his hair my business, I truly hope he is happy with it ^^

jeanniet
March 19th, 2013, 03:41 PM
Freedom of speech doesn't extend to private forums, and the KNIT policies laid out in the TOU make it clear that we are supposed to exercise some level of restraint in speech. I know it doesn't always happen, but we're at least supposed to try. I'm sure that members here who have non-traditional care routines are pretty used to negative comments outside of LHC, but in here we're supposed to be more open-minded. Anyway, as I said, I don't care if you don't like something. Just keep in mind that if you insult something in regards to hair care, there's probably at least one member you're insulting as well.

piffyanne
March 20th, 2013, 01:57 AM
Freedom of speech doesn't extend to private forums, and the KNIT policies laid out in the TOU make it clear that we are supposed to exercise some level of restraint in speech. I know it doesn't always happen, but we're at least supposed to try. I'm sure that members here who have non-traditional care routines are pretty used to negative comments outside of LHC, but in here we're supposed to be more open-minded. Anyway, as I said, I don't care if you don't like something. Just keep in mind that if you insult something in regards to hair care, there's probably at least one member you're insulting as well.
Quoted for truth.

Mommyof4
March 20th, 2013, 03:26 AM
Yikes... I expected alot of remarks about how he may have gotten his dreaded hair that long.. or how others could get their dreads that long if they wanted.. Never did I expect the debate team to be going at it.

It is silly to debate and discuss over and over with everyone just so we can all prove that we're intellectual and civilized.

I do not agree with having only one "way" for every individual's own emotions and actions - only meaning: I like that each person has their own set of likes/dislikes/opinions, and people shouldn't be made to feel guilty for what they feel or think, only by how they act on it.

AND I don't think we should feel that it's wrong to disagree. It's simply natural.

Different strokes for different folks.

I think we all need a big LHC group hug!

piffyanne
March 20th, 2013, 03:35 AM
Yikes... I expected alot of remarks about how he may have gotten his dreaded hair that long.. or how others could get their dreads that long if they wanted.. Never did I expect the debate team to be going at it.

It is silly to debate and discuss over and over with everyone just so we can all prove that we're intellectual and civilized.

I do not agree with having only one "way" for every individual's own emotions and actions - only meaning: I like that each person has their own set of likes/dislikes/opinions, and people shouldn't be made to feel guilty for what they feel or think, only by how they act on it.

AND I don't think we should feel that it's wrong to disagree. It's simply natural.

Different strokes for different folks.

I think we all need a big LHC group hug!

And some :cheese: :)

furnival
March 20th, 2013, 04:54 AM

I haven't been involved in this debate but I feel it's a bit harsh to suggest that the only reason people are debating this is to prove they are intellectual and civilised.

This thread raised a lot of interesting issues and provoked strong reactions from a lot of posters. I for one find this more interesting and informative than a thread full of vapid comments about the length of his hair.

auburntressed
March 20th, 2013, 05:53 AM
I believe I have seen this photo somewhere before, and my first reaction to it was thus: Wow... I didn't know you could have just one big dread lock. Cause, you know, I'd seen dreads but never just ONE dread. I still haven't ever seen anyone sporting just one dread aside from this gentleman.

It is definitely not my cup of tea, though.

piffyanne
March 20th, 2013, 06:27 AM
I believe I have seen this photo somewhere before, and my first reaction to it was thus: Wow... I didn't know you could have just one big dread lock. Cause, you know, I'd seen dreads but never just ONE dread. I still haven't ever seen anyone sporting just one dread aside from this gentleman.

>snip<

I thought the same thing! Is the upkeep or making of it any different?