PDA

View Full Version : What does "APL & "BSL" mean, im so confused :(

Dreamkitty
October 31st, 2010, 12:30 PM
:confused: I don't have a clue what APL and BSL mean, along with all the other terminology used. Please help me here, I am a bit lost and I would love to know what they all stand for, so I could know what people are talking about and which one I am.

My hair is 24inches long, where would that be? APL? BSL? etc

Konstifik
October 31st, 2010, 12:32 PM
APL = Arm Pit Length (So if your hair reaches your armpits, you're APL)
BSL = Bra-Strap Length (So if your hair reaches the bra-strap, you're BSL)

Here's (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=10) a useful article with lots of our abbreviations :)

jojo
October 31st, 2010, 12:33 PM
APL= arm pit length
BSL= bsl
WL= waist length
TBL= tail bone length
Classic= the bottom of your bum!

All depends on your measurements where you are. Hope that helps x

Roscata
October 31st, 2010, 12:38 PM
You might want to read this article: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=10
It explains all the terms. :D

Dreamkitty
October 31st, 2010, 12:52 PM
Thank you, Konstifik, jojo and Roscata for the abbreviations and the links. I feel much better now, knowing the terminology used here, and now I can edit my profile too.

Does make me a bit sad though, at 24inches, I can't say I have reached APL length yet, very nearly there but still, I am at the lowest point.:(

Nicoliee
January 13th, 2011, 01:08 AM
I read the list! Is waist length just WL? Maybe I missed it. Also i seen turbie twist! I have one! Love it. I usually just leave it in until my hair is no longer dripping.

Konstifik
January 13th, 2011, 01:24 AM
I read the list! Is waist length just WL? Maybe I missed it. Also i seen turbie twist! I have one! Love it. I usually just leave it in until my hair is no longer dripping.

Yep, WL is waist. :)

icallitbliss
February 15th, 2012, 10:04 PM
At what part of the bra strap is BSL? Because there's the part that hits the shoulder...so that would be shoulder length, and then is the part of the strap that is practically at the armpit...so I'm just confused on what that would be?

Hollyfire3
February 15th, 2012, 10:08 PM
At what part of the bra strap is BSL? Because there's the part that hits the shoulder...so that would be shoulder length, and then is the part of the strap that is practically at the armpit...so I'm just confused on what that would be?

I think typical BSL is the bottom of the bra strap, but some people vary it. I consider solid BSL to be bottom of the strap. Love your cat user name and the OP's user name! See siggy and avatar for more catness love!:D sorry kinda OT but funny!

pepperminttea
February 15th, 2012, 10:22 PM

It's the band that goes under the breasts and around the back, not the shoulder straps. :)

blondie9912
February 15th, 2012, 10:25 PM
It's a bit confusing that BSL is bra STRAP length, when in reality it should be called bra BAND length. You're BSL when your hair reaches the bra band (the thing that goes horizontally across your back that the straps attach to). Some people consider BSL when your hair reaches the top of the bra band, but most people would say the bottom.

icallitbliss
February 15th, 2012, 10:31 PM
It's a bit confusing that BSL is bra STRAP length, when in reality it should be called bra BAND length. You're BSL when your hair reaches the bra band (the thing that goes horizontally across your back that the straps attach to). Some people consider BSL when your hair reaches the top of the bra band, but most people would say the bottom.

Ahh! Thanks for clearing that up! That's what confused me when they said STRAP length...

Now I'm glad I know, because that is EXACTLY my goal length. :) Growing out from a pixie now...and am hating every minute of it.

stelz
December 27th, 2015, 01:30 AM
APL= arm pit length
BSL= bsl
WL= waist length
TBL= tail bone length
Classic= the bottom of your bum!

All depends on your measurements where you are. Hope that helps x

Ah, this is what I was looking for! :D So I was Classic before my last trim? I thought Classic was mid-thigh or longer. judging by the old paintings. Now I'm past TBL but not quite Classic. Mid-bum, lol.

What are the lowercase "i" things? I saw that when I joined but didn't add them to my profile as I didn't know what they were. But I'm edging up to 25 posts and I think I'll be able to edit soon?

lapushka
December 27th, 2015, 04:50 AM
I think you might wanna read this:
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=126309

stelz
December 27th, 2015, 05:13 AM
That's exactly what I needed, thanks!
Bookmarked. And easy to get from there to a post explaining the i's. Roman numerals! http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54874&p=1237508&viewfull=1#post1237508

Mimha
December 27th, 2015, 05:56 AM
(...)
Does make me a bit sad though, at 24inches, I can't say I have reached APL length yet, very nearly there but still, I am at the lowest point.:(

Lol. No, you are definitely not at the lowest point !^^ Some of our members are growing out chin length bobs and pixies, and there are even some others who are growing out buzz cuts ! The aim of LHC is also to help each other to grow happily together, so there are plenty of threads to join, where people are growing particular length of hair : from chin to APL, from APL to BSL, from BSL to WL, and so on. It's a lot of fun to join a thread and share experience and encouragement with people who are at the same stage as you :wink: With time, you'll go ahead and join the next thread, until you've reached your goal. (But as LHC is veeeery enabling, when you are about to reach your goal, your start wanting to grow longer ! :laugh:)

Happy growing ! :flower:

Mimha
December 27th, 2015, 06:14 AM
I forgot to say that the APL-BSL-etc system is related to body markers, not to the real length of your hair. You are "at waist" when your hair have reached YOUR waist. So it may differ quite a bit if you are a tall person or a short one (with more or less long neck, torso, etc.). That's why we also have a mention for the length in inches. Someone with 1.60 m of hair can be mid-calf if tall... or floor length is small, lol. The measure in inches is also a way to make it more fair for people who have very curly hair, which look shorter than it is in reality. So you may find people with APL looking hair who have in reality much longer hair than others who are beyond BSL with straight hair.

But well, the fun of it shoud not related to hair competition, methinks^^... but to share hair fun and experience, in order to enjoy this wonderful present of nature : OUR HAIR !!! :silly: :cheese:

sumirechan
July 31st, 2016, 04:56 PM
I forgot to say that the APL-BSL-etc system is related to body markers, not to the real length of your hair. You are "at waist" when your hair have reached YOUR waist. So it may differ quite a bit if you are a tall person or a short one (with more or less long neck, torso, etc.). That's why we also have a mention for the length in inches. Someone with 1.60 m of hair can be mid-calf if tall... or floor length is small, lol.

Ooooo! I was wondering about that too. :) Makes sense! :D

Doom
July 31st, 2016, 05:27 PM
BSL= bsl
:rollin: LOL! Hooray for tautology!

littlestarface
July 31st, 2016, 07:02 PM
:rollin: LOL! Hooray for tautology!

:laugh: lol!