PDA

View Full Version : purpose of conditioner

Ricky22
May 29th, 2008, 05:04 AM
Theres somethin I don't understand, lol maybe I'm naive but what is the purpose of hair conditioner exactly? my mom had me use her Garnier and Fructis shampoo and conditioner last night

Loviatar
May 29th, 2008, 05:16 AM
For me, Ricky, it gives my hair better 'slip' which means it doesnt tangle as much and any tangles I do get are easy to comb out. Plus now I use a silicone conditioner which gives me more shine and protects from damage/breakage.

Before I coloured my hair, I was washing with conditioner only (non-silicone) which made my hair feel thicker and more moisturised. My hair does not like shampoo much to be honest, especially sulphate based ones.

But not everyone HAS to use conditioner.

Hope that helps.

<She>
May 29th, 2008, 08:39 AM
There are supstances in a conditioner like slip agents, emolients, moisture sealants, detanglers, humectants etc. and they synergistically act to coat the shaft of an individual strand. So overall the hair is protected from losing it's moisture, has a better slip because the cuticules are flatened, and it tangles less so there is lessened chance of snapping of strands.

Amara
May 29th, 2008, 12:11 PM
For me, it's all about the detangling!

Ricky22
May 29th, 2008, 12:14 PM
lol I just be wondering yo because honestly conditioner seems just like shampoo to me except thicker, before I couldn't tell the difference

Lamb
May 29th, 2008, 12:19 PM
lol I just be wondering yo because honestly conditioner seems just like shampoo to me except thicker, before I couldn't tell the difference

If the conditioner you have been using is for thin/oily hair, I can see how it could be similar to shampoo - but otherwise, conditioner shouldn't feel like shampoo when you are using it. (Unless you grabbed the wrong bottle, of course!:D) The main purpose of condioner for me is moisturizing, I like to use a bit of regular condish as a leave-in because my canopy is super-dry.

Amoretti
May 29th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Detangling is essential. LOL.

C_Bookworm
May 29th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Certainly for detangling. If you choose to CO (I'm just getting back on that bandwagon) then it can also be used for cleansing. It contains mild surfactants that will clean hair if left on long enough