PDA

View Full Version : What Length Is Too Long

Dragon
October 30th, 2010, 03:53 AM
At what length do you find your hair is to long?

I can't answer this yet as I have never had long hair.

Toadstool
October 30th, 2010, 04:13 AM
I used to find it annoying when it got trapped in zip up tops - this wasn't very long - APL?
Hoping to get over that if I ever reach that long again!

pepperminttea
October 30th, 2010, 05:05 AM
I'm at waist, which is the longest I've ever had it, and it's nowhere near too long for me yet. I'll have to wait and see! :D

Jules diamond
October 30th, 2010, 05:07 AM
For me, it's too long when I can sit on it. I'd be pulling on it constantly. Asthetically, I wouldn't want it any longer then tailbone, just because I think it wouldn't look good on me.

Valdeon
October 30th, 2010, 05:15 AM
Well....

Maybe that is because I am a newbie here, but too long for me is when a person can actually sit on his\hers hair. But I may change my view on this when I get to may goal - hip :D

ktani
October 30th, 2010, 05:46 AM
Mine was past waist and I just chopped over 2 inches off. I liked the length. I had cut a section one side shorter a while back that I then grew in and I wanted to have my hair all one length again and easier to deal with down, which is how I wear it most. I start a new job on Monday and it was time to get my hair cleaned up a bit length wise.

It is now more blunt and feels more comfortable. I will not be trimming again for a while, except for the odd mini s&d when and if needed. Length to me is personal and about my comfort level. I will keep my hair long. It just has to be "workable".

freckles
October 30th, 2010, 05:57 AM
I haven't yet ever been at a length that's too long for me, but this is the longest it's ever been now at waist (well, except a week ago before my trim when it was about an inch longer, but I don't think that counts!).

RachelRain
October 30th, 2010, 06:07 AM
I sit on mine daily, even if it's in a braid... and if I'm not paying attention or I'm in a hurry, I've been known to get it stuck in zippers and buttons. I actually had to spend ten minutes a few weeks ago trying to patiently work my hair out of a jacket zipper... and I'm *not* patient, so inside I was screaming the worst kind of obsenities.

I think 'too long' is a personal thing. Some people think their faces look too long at a certain length, or whatever the reasoning is (kind of like how without glasses, my face looks really round, so contacts for me are out.) Mine's nowhere near 'too long', although I've been known to say it's scissors time when I put a knee over it and accidentally yank it... or if I get a particularly nasty snarl that refuses to come apart.

Astarte_1980
October 30th, 2010, 06:32 AM
at the moment I have classic.
I think that longer than Knee length is really to long.
But who know's what I am saying when it is knee length

Eire
October 30th, 2010, 06:43 AM
One of the things I love about long hair is how easy it is to deal with. It actually takes me far less time to care for my waist length hair than it did for my APL hair. I think longer than tailbone would be the point at which it becomes a hassle again -- too long to comb through, too easily tangled, and too much in the way.

ktani
October 30th, 2010, 06:48 AM
One of the things I love about long hair is how easy it is to deal with. It actually takes me far less time to care for my waist length hair than it did for my APL hair. I think longer than tailbone would be the point at which it becomes a hassle again -- too long to comb through, too easily tangled, and too much in the way.

I agree about too much in the way, lol.

Also for me, it is about how my hair falls, in terms of my waves. Surprisingly, as my hair is nearest to or waist length, I prefer how the waves behave, more so than when my hair was shorter. I had not expected that.

hmmm
October 30th, 2010, 06:48 AM
I only wear my hair down sometimes, and mine is only APL. I'm surprised at how much more oil I use now than I used to at shoulder length, though. It takes a while to oil, too. So I guess anywhere after butt length would take a loot of oiling.

Oldive
October 30th, 2010, 07:15 AM
Knee length was were I called it quits. It got to the point that I couldn't brush in one fell swoop, it would drag on the floor anytime i sat down. I never could wear it down, even at home cause it always got in my way. I remember standing in the shower working on detangling in and having to fol it in half so I could reach the ends wondering why I was doing this - Didn't I let my hair grow so it would be easier, not harder?

So i cut it that day. All the way to Hip! It felt so crazy short. Luckily hair grows, and I'm back to classic again.

But it truly depends on the person. I know for my sister she doesn't keep her hair any longer than hip. Once it reaches there it gets the chop. My mom had classic for most of my childhood, then decided she wanted a drastic change and went for only 2 inches of hair. (she's growing it out again though, lol)

Themyst
October 30th, 2010, 07:38 AM
When mine was TB length, I used to get all kind of compliments when I went out. Now though, it's down to knee, and all people do is exclaim "how long it is" but then nothing else is said ...

I like it this long and think I might keep growing it out of curiosity to see how long I can actually grow it. Though it is tempting to go back up to TB. :hmm:

I've been thinking about it for a while now.

Kristin
October 30th, 2010, 07:57 AM
It depends on the person (how much hassle you are willing to deal with in terms of care and detangling, what you find aesthetically pleasing, etc). My hair is at waist, which is the longest it's been since was about 10, and I don't think it's too long yet. My goal keeps extending, but I really think somewhere between hip and tailbone will be my limit. As soon as it stops being fun, I will stop growing it.

BeautifulBella
October 30th, 2010, 08:32 AM
hair is never too long... unless one keeps it dirty or scraggy-looking... as long as it looks good I don't think there is such a thing as too long hair... I'm aiming for knee-length

Madora
October 30th, 2010, 08:34 AM
Kristin's reply is spot on.

Long hair ceases to become appealing when I can't style it easily (crown braiding finger tip hair isn't easy!)

Also, shampooing, rinsing can be a real hassle when the hair is very long. My water pressure is not the greatest and so it takes longer to complete the process when you have tailbone length hair.

Sandwitch
October 30th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I really love looong hair, so it's never too long. Maybe too long for daily routine but i want to see how long it will grow.

Bene
October 30th, 2010, 08:57 AM
My hair doesn't really tangle and it's fairly easy to take care of, so I don't anticipate anything being too long regarding manageability. Still, if I have to do some weird acrobatics just to detangle because my arms don't reach, even after holding it up a little bit, that's when it's too long.

Loreley
October 30th, 2010, 09:19 AM
My hair is fingertip length and it's starting to feel too long. I think I can't have longer hair than knee length.

monkeyprincess
October 30th, 2010, 09:28 AM
I'm almost a knee length and it's too long for me.
My DH would love for me to grow to terminal just to see how long it would get but at my current length I never wear it down. I gets in the way no matter what I'm doing and the doorknobs in our house are particularly evil, always catching my hair.

In2wishin
October 30th, 2010, 09:40 AM
To me, too long is when you either can't or don't want to hassle with the length. This may be BSL or hip or whatever.

I am just below waist on my way to tailbone. I'm thinking that may be it for me but we'll see when we get there.

jane53
October 30th, 2010, 10:31 AM
I tend to keep my hair about hip length. I've had it tailbone length several times and it annoys me then.

dragonmyst
October 30th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I think, for me, it will be too long when I can not longer care for it properly. That said, I want to grow my hair to terminal just to see how long I can grow it. Then, once I know, I plan on trimming it back (although hubby has said he'd LOVE help he take care of it :P).

See, back in Feb of '08 my hair was TBL. Just about where I could sit on it. But I was going through a lot of Postpartum Depression. Days, even weeks would go by without a brush touching my hair, without taking care of it at all. It matted. Sure when I was taking care of it it was gorgeous (sorry if that sounds a bit vain) but I was so bleh that I just couldn't take care of it. I made the decision to cut it because with it was easier to brush through.

I don't regret cutting it, it was the right decision at that time. I'm in a better place now and I can take care of my hair. TBL doesn't honestly sound long to me. **shrugs**

Dreams_in_Pink
October 30th, 2010, 10:36 AM
I'm at waist, which is the longest I've ever had it, and it's nowhere near too long for me yet. I'll have to wait and see! :D

I second that :) Actually, i've been a little longer than waist and although it felt really long, it wasn't bothering me at all.

I guess too long would be classic+.

jane53
October 30th, 2010, 10:38 AM
TBL isn't long for many--not even for me--I just find it more convenient at hip length, and I have to be dressed professionally early every morning, so convenience is a good thing!

mali
October 30th, 2010, 10:40 AM
For me TB is too long.

princessp
October 30th, 2010, 10:42 AM
I haven't had my hair too long yet. My goal this time around is tailbone, but as I get closer to tailbone I still think my hair is too short. So I think I have to change my goal to classic. I'm not sure if I will ever think my hair is too long.

Gumball
October 30th, 2010, 10:51 AM
At my hair's currently length I don't feel it's too long. If it ever gets to be a hassle combing out, well that's usually because I flutter through different routines in the ever ongoing search for the right one. In those cases it's more user error. :lol: My hair never gets in the way, and if I'm not trying anything new then it's a breeze to put up and keep up. So far so good! I don't know what length I'd consider too long on me.

Purdy Bear
October 30th, 2010, 10:54 AM
For me it was when I could sit on it - I just kept getting it caught in cupboard doors when I was at school.

kittensoupnrice
October 30th, 2010, 10:59 AM
My hair is finally reaching classic length, and I still don't consider it too long.

It has, however, just hit a new frustrating length where it gets trapped underneath me when I sleep. This is probably the first really annoying milestone I've reached, but it hasn't been enough for me to consider stopping.

I probably will consider it too long when I start having to ask DH to hold my braid while I drive so it doesn't get caught in the foot pedals. :D

Feng-Shui
October 30th, 2010, 11:05 AM
On me knee length is the border.
More than knee length is too long for me.

On other people long hair pleases me not more that is longer than the floor.

Roscata
October 30th, 2010, 11:09 AM
For me too long is anything beyond tail-bone. At that point is becomes too much for me to handle in the washing/combing/styling way,

CrisDee
October 30th, 2010, 11:28 AM
I second (or third, or fourth! :D) that "too long" is when it's no longer fun, or when the difficulties of taking care of it become greater than the pleasure of having it.

I've never had hair longer than hip length, so I don't know how it would be at TB or longer. But for me, I think that hip length will be the far end of fun. It would not be fun for me to have hair longer than my arms, it would be more difficult to wash/detangle/style than it would be worth. But that's only a guess - my hair is only chin length in the front, shoulder in back, and still too short to even get it all in a ponytail. So I'll just have to wait and see what it's like in a few years when I get to REAL long length! :)

Anje
October 30th, 2010, 11:32 AM
"Too long" is the length at which you can no longer reasonably take care of your hair, or where dealing with the length cuts into your enjoyment of your length to the point where it simply makes you unhappy.

I haven't reached "too long" yet, and I expect I'll find my terminal length before I get there. I suspect that if my hair got below about knee or calf length, I'd find it annoying, would keep stepping on loose hair when sitting around the house, etc.

x0h_bother
October 30th, 2010, 11:35 AM
Glad you asked- it's too long right now!! I'm at BSL+ and I have layers so that could be it, but it is at that annoying stage. I get it caught in everything now, all I want to do is put it up and forget about it because it's heavy and tangly and just not fun. The other day I reconsidered my goal of waist and wondered if it looked too long for my face/body! Then there's the other side, saying to stick it out, you can always chop later. So I will! But it requires not wearing it down and having more issues with caring for it.

bte
October 30th, 2010, 11:46 AM
Too? Long? Sorry, don't understand.

lacefrost
October 30th, 2010, 11:52 AM
I guess because I have curly hair, too long would be when it's at my hips while curly. In my perfect world my end result will be WL curly. But that would mean straight it'd be at my knees. I'm not sure if I'm a knee length kind of girl.

EdG
October 30th, 2010, 11:52 AM
This question gets asked regularly.

The body knows when a hair is too long - the hair stops growing and sheds out, only to be replaced by a new hair. This growth cycle results in a well-defined "terminal length".

Anything beyond one's terminal length is, by definition, too long. :D
Ed

Octave
October 30th, 2010, 12:05 PM
Well, as I still haven't been at that length which is too long for me I can't really be certain. But don't think I could manage to have my hair longer than to my tailbone....but I guess as they say: never say never. ;)

spidermom
October 30th, 2010, 12:05 PM
It depends on my mood. Sometimes it was too long at shoulder length.

dragonmyst
October 30th, 2010, 12:20 PM
LOL EdG, you've got a great point there. :D

EdG
October 30th, 2010, 01:10 PM
LOL EdG, you've got a great point there. :DI have answered this question before. :lol:
Ed

soopahgrover
October 30th, 2010, 01:52 PM
I've been thinking about this a lot myself, lately. I've been working a bit in a very fashionable neighborhood of NYC, where everyone looks like they just stepped out of a fashion magazine. A neighborhood where a lot of designer labels are headquartered, or at least have flagship shops. It's such a bother to actually have to put makeup on when I go to the office. LOL

But anyway. I want my career to thrive, so I hope my hair doesn't project "dirty hippie." I'm thinking maybe I should keep it to waist for now. Still thinking about it.

HeatherMae
October 30th, 2010, 02:32 PM
Right now my hair is about 2-3 inches away from tail bone length. I have been thinking about this a long time and I have decided that, THAT will be where I maintain.

PiroskaCicu
October 30th, 2010, 02:48 PM
Like a lot of others have said, I think it is a personal decision ....
For me it's when it gets to the point where you can sit on it. I think it would be easier to break or get caught in things at that point.

Carolyn
October 30th, 2010, 02:52 PM
I think you find that answer is going to vary from person to person. I used to think hip (36") was too long and awkward for me. Now I'm approaching it for the 3rd time and it doesn't seem too long at all. I guess for me it would be when the length makes it not fun anymore and it's more of a chore than a joy.

christine1989
October 30th, 2010, 02:53 PM
I think that tailbone is too long on me. I had it that long when I was little and it just dosen't suit my height (or lack thereof). It looks just right at waist though.

slythwolf
October 30th, 2010, 03:09 PM
For me it's when it gets to the point where you can sit on it. I think it would be easier to break or get caught in things at that point.
This was my answer before I started wearing it up all the time. Now I think for me, past calf would be too long. It would just feel excessive.

jojo
October 30th, 2010, 03:26 PM
I think any length is too long if it looks unkempt and unhealthy, otherwise long hair is in the eye of the beholder if you want it trailing behind on the floor, thats your choice. Me I like classic length but im edging towards going for terminal just for the hell of it and then cutting back to my favourite length, you just gotta do it once in your life time!

lapushka
October 30th, 2010, 03:31 PM
Classic length and longer is definitely too long for me. I know that for a fact because I had classic length once and had it cut short for exactly that reason. Anyway, I was a child then, maybe it's different now.

Alvrodul
October 30th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I don't know - I have not yet reached that point! :p

Fadedbluedreams
October 30th, 2010, 04:02 PM
I personally find classic length most visually pleasing. In my opinion, it's the perfect place to fall and adds a certain gracefulness to movement. If my hair were longer than that (which I'm no where near) I could see it becoming more of a liability than a pleasure.

starlights
October 30th, 2010, 04:57 PM
I think it depends on the person. I think knee length would be way too much hair on me !

Avvoltoio
October 30th, 2010, 05:07 PM
I think there is no "too long hair" :), i would like to grow my hair while it can grow and seems to be healthy

WinterInBloom
October 30th, 2010, 05:21 PM
When I was younger I had tailbone length hair, and that was too long for me. However, it wasn't healthy, and I didn't know how to take care of it properly. Since finding LHC I do know how to take care of my hair now, and even at just below BSL it's so healthy it barely tangles at all. I can finger comb my hair in the morning after sleeping on it loose rather than brush it if I want. If I can keep it healthy I see no reason why I can't get it to tailbone length again and love it. It might tangle a little more than it does now, but it will never be as bad as it was when I was younger. :)

LaLaBella
October 30th, 2010, 05:22 PM
If it interferes with my quality of life, it's too long. Don't know what that length is yet.

Arianwen
October 30th, 2010, 05:22 PM
What is this "too long," of which you speak?! :confused:

MafiaPrincess
October 30th, 2010, 05:31 PM
I've been able to sit on mine. For me that is ridiculous. I happily bounce between waist and tailbone and have for decades.

MissManda
October 30th, 2010, 05:50 PM
I think anything longer than knee length would be too long for me. My hair is currently between waist and hip and the most frustration that I've experienced with it is the shorter pieces that are around APL/BSL-ish getting in my face because they don't want to stay with the rest of my hair. I find that my hair actually doesn't tangle that much even if I sleep with it loose, which makes me very happy. :D It gets hot in the summertime, but unless I shaved my head it would still be hot so I might as well have it long so I can put it up.

I haven't decided if I want to set my goal at classic or keep going on until knee... :D

Rebelkat
October 30th, 2010, 05:51 PM
I'm not particularly fond of these kinds of threads because people can end up getting people's feelings hurt. Nobody wants to see their length or goal length tacked next to"...is too long" on a site where they come for support in their hair journey. Something like "What Length is Too Long for You to Deal With" or something similar would be better, in my opinion. :soapbox:

With that begin said, I've yet to reach a point where my hair has become "too long." It's pretty easy to deal with on a daily basis because of it's texture: it rarely tangles and when it does, it's really easy to detangle. I can't imagine any of it's care becoming stressful for me, either. The time I spend pampering my hair is part of my unwind time. I actually find it calming to deep condition, oil, comb and whatever else my hair requires. I also automatically move my hair out of the way when I sit (and have ever since it reached APL), so that's not an issue for me either. I wouldn't grow past knee length, however, for fear of stepping on it or some other silly accident.

RachelRain
October 30th, 2010, 05:58 PM
Days, even weeks would go by without a brush touching my hair, without taking care of it at all.

I actually do this now... three, four days at a time have been known to go by without my brushing my hair. It's not all that noticeable (unless you count the fact that there's less frizz because it means I haven't washed it) until people go to touch it, and then they can feel the weird fuzzy texture that means I haven't touched it in a few days. My excuse is that sometimes I'm just too lazy to care though.

Also, PPD sucks. I'm glad you're better.

enfys
October 30th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Fingertip wasn't too long or long enough for me. That's all I have right now. Also, it may change with time. It's a totally subjective question.

julya
October 30th, 2010, 07:35 PM
I haven't reached too long yet, and mine is a few inches past my knees. I think it will be too long if it reaches the shower floor when I am washing it, but I have at least a couple of years of growing before that becomes an issue.

baaaad_kitty
October 31st, 2010, 12:07 AM
I think too long on me would be past waist. As I'm only 5'2" I might look like I'm drowning in my hair

CaityBear
October 31st, 2010, 12:23 AM
Whenever it begins to annoy me or get in the way... I'm about two inches from classic and that still hasn't happened so can't really answer your question yet. :P

Arctic_Mama
October 31st, 2010, 02:41 AM
It's such a personal thing! For me, aesthetically, too long is when it start a dragging on the ground. About an inch below ankle is the longest I like to see someone around me wear (theoretically speaking) before it starts to be creepy... But that is hanging loose. If it is contained and in an updo then nothing seems too long, it's just the thought of it dragging on the ground that grosses me out.

On me, I think knee is long enough. Calf length seems like it might be a bit too long, and a bit of a hassle, if I was wearing it down. I am undecided, but IF my hair can grow that long I'll cross the bridge of 'creepy length' when I come to it. What's the worst case scenario? I cut it back to a length I like?

Quite acceptable to me :)

Isadora Lewie
October 31st, 2010, 04:23 AM
[QUOTE=Rebelkat;1318770]I'm not particularly fond of these kinds of threads because people can end up getting people's feelings hurt. Nobody wants to see their length or goal length tacked next to"...is too long" on a site where they come for support in their hair journey. Something like "What Length is Too Long for You to Deal With" or something similar would be better, in my opinion. :soapbox:

Hi Rebelcat, I don't think the OP intended to hurt anyone's feelings :flowers: The original question was 'At what length do you find your hair is to long?' So the way I read that was that Dragon was asking for personal opinions on what didn't feel good for you, in terms of length.

I may have missed something, but I don't think I read anything negative about any one else's hair, just posts where people have talked about how they feel about their own length journey. I'm don't imagine that anyone has intended to upset anyone else.

For me, it's too long when it gets unbearably tangly and crunchy at the ends and starts looking dull. As I'm trimming out the damage slowly, that keeps getting longer - hurrah!:cheese:

ChatoyantLocks
October 31st, 2010, 02:15 PM
I haven't found too long yet, and my hair is just past my knees. I usually keep it braided, except for special occasions, and that makes it very manageable.

Rebelkat
October 31st, 2010, 10:10 PM
Hi Rebelcat, I don't think the OP intended to hurt anyone's feelings :flowers: The original question was 'At what length do you find your hair is to long?' So the way I read that was that Dragon was asking for personal opinions on what didn't feel good for you, in terms of length.

I may have missed something, but I don't think I read anything negative about any one else's hair, just posts where people have talked about how they feel about their own length journey. I'm don't imagine that anyone has intended to upset anyone else.

Yeah, once I came back and reread it, I'm feeling kinda silly. I'm not really sure where that idea came from. I've been dealing with major cabin fever since DBF had his surgery, so that played into it, I'm sure. I think it was the thread title that threw me. Sorry guys!