PDA

View Full Version : How to tame bangs

jenwexler
October 29th, 2010, 05:37 PM
I usually ask for advice but today I decided to share something I came up with myself. Bangs are the only thing keeping my short hair looking feminine, and I figured out a way to tame them in a way that is heat free. After my shower, I comb my damp hair to prepare the bangs. Then, I take a cloth headband and wear it "hippy style." After I place the headband just right, I lightly push the ends of my bangs to the side and let it dry like that. It also works dry or with a knit cap. I thought you guys might like what I had to share. It might be different for girls with curlier hair.....but try it out and tell me what you think. I love feedback =)

http://i53.tinypic.com/208fmoo.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/b80q5h.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/hrxb13.jpg

mellie89
October 29th, 2010, 07:08 PM
Neat idea! I'll have to try that next time I wash my hair. My bangs have been particularly unruly lately. :p

UltraBella
October 29th, 2010, 07:51 PM
Good idea ! I am going to try it :)

jenwexler
October 29th, 2010, 11:23 PM
Thanks guys! Let me know how everything turns out =]

Cholera
October 30th, 2010, 01:19 AM
You're lucky! I wish I could do that, but I'd have a crazy weird kink in my bangs if I did. :(

jenwexler
October 30th, 2010, 08:11 AM
I make sure to have the headband all the way near the ends so I don't have a kink...if I get a kink I spritz it with a little water but not much

Capybara
October 30th, 2010, 01:00 PM
Nice idea! You're so pretty.

Fairlight63
October 30th, 2010, 01:05 PM
Good idea! Much better idea than using tape, like I used to do.

jenwexler
October 30th, 2010, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys!

Anywhere
October 30th, 2010, 02:54 PM
it seems like it would work pretty well.. but i have acne-prone skin and my leave-ins would probably cause my forehead to break out.
And acne medication would get in my hair which wouldn't be good. :undecided

seems pretty legit though. Good job being creative though. Glad you found something that works. :D

jenwexler
October 30th, 2010, 03:44 PM
I haven't had issues with acne but everyone is different. I don't think it would bother your acne as long as you do it when your hair is clean. I make sure to wash my face every day so that my bangs don't make me break out.

~bear
October 30th, 2010, 06:56 PM
I might have to try this. I typically let my hair air dry and my bangs are the one bit that I will at times use a blow dryer on due to how they dry naturally. Nice.

enfys
October 30th, 2010, 07:42 PM
I prefer how it looks with the headband on but both ways are cute. I don't have a fringe; I'm just nosey!

Lianna
October 30th, 2010, 08:27 PM
Great idea!! I'll try. :)

jenwexler
October 30th, 2010, 08:39 PM
Plus if the bangs look a little flat depending on the headband, just use your fingers to fluff them up a bit or just a little spritz of water.

Sammich
October 30th, 2010, 08:44 PM
It is a fantastic idea. :) Similar to pinning the bangs down or together when damp, etc, but in a much more fashionable sense. :D

jenwexler
October 30th, 2010, 08:48 PM
I used to use my bobbypins but they would always fall out or leave an unattractive dent.

Niwa
October 30th, 2010, 09:56 PM
Great idea! I can't use this because my hair falls differently than yours, and my very sensitive facial skin would go nuts if hair was left on it all day. I had to chime in though and say it seems a good idea for the straighter-haired women here. It is sweet of you to make this suggestion. :)

MAO
October 30th, 2010, 10:00 PM
Very clever idea! I'm gonna have to try that! I hate having to flat iron my bangs into submission ever morning.

jenwexler
October 30th, 2010, 10:00 PM
It actually doesn't have to be left all day. I leave it on as little as 15 minutes. Sometimes when my hair is just alittle damp, I'll comb it right, then wear the headband until it dries all the way. Theres no time limit or anything.

jenwexler
October 30th, 2010, 10:01 PM
Wet or dry, it works fine....but letting it dry with the headband definitely sets it.

JulietCapulet
October 30th, 2010, 11:40 PM
For me taming bangs is serious business and requires three major elements:
1. Flat iron
2. Hair spray
3. Blow dryer

jenwexler
October 30th, 2010, 11:41 PM
How long are they? when I used to flat iron my bangs, they would flop on my face and look weird lol.

Dreams_in_Pink
October 31st, 2010, 04:58 AM
I tried doing this too, but i felt extremely uncomfortable with my bangs and the band covering my forehead like a blanket. I sweated and therefore, they never dried :( I really wish it worked, so i wouldn't have to grow my bangs.

jasper
October 31st, 2010, 05:49 AM
I have a hair type that is slightly and inconsistently wavy, which means my bangs will flip out and make little horns sometimes.

My hair is easily convinced to be straight (if combed while damp, for instance) and since my bangs get dry before the length the bangs are often doing their own thing before I get around to combing. I have a curling iron with a big barrel that now serves no other purpose than taming the little horns. But if I will comb the bangs- even just finger combing- and put them in order before they dry, I don't need the iron.

mrs_coffee
October 31st, 2010, 08:00 AM
Look how cute you are! :)

My bangs are currently growing out (they're only a smidge longer than yours) and driving me nuts. I'm going to give this a shot next time I wash.

MissCoco
October 31st, 2010, 08:07 AM
Hey, I've done this too! Great idea, huh? :thumbsup:

jenwexler
October 31st, 2010, 10:07 AM
I like using the headband better than blow drying. If I blowdry, they feel too frizzy, and if I flat iron, they're too flat and flop on my face. The curling Iron was the best but I've gone cold turkey.