PDA

View Full Version : protective hair styles?

hairobsessed1
October 29th, 2010, 04:06 PM
I'm trying to grow my hair from BSL to about hip length- are there any protective hair styles that i could use/ that you would recommend to try? thanks

Bene
October 29th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Buns

(10 characters)

christine1989
October 29th, 2010, 04:15 PM
Any type of bun is good. I also like a peacock twist with the ends tucked in. If you can manage it a french twist looks lovely and protects the fragile ends or on days you are too lazy to do an updo I just like to keep my hair tucked into my shirt or sweater.

HintOfMint
October 29th, 2010, 07:05 PM
Buns held with pins (I swear by spin pins) are pretty protective and don't sustain any possible damage from elastics holding it in the same place repeatedly.

I am a fan of braids, but some find that they are not protective enough because their ends are exposed and because of the elastic. I personally find them to be just as protective as buns.

twopoints
October 29th, 2010, 07:40 PM
I use scrunchies to secure my hair.

Anje
October 29th, 2010, 07:45 PM
This may help you get started. (http://hairstyledictionary.ztn.net/)

masa_inn
October 29th, 2010, 09:43 PM
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=46361

HTH!

Madora
October 29th, 2010, 10:08 PM
When it comes to buns, try and divide your hair in sections when it comes to styling.

The tension of the bun is more evenly distributed if you can divide your hair into sections then style it in a bun.

Also, be sure to leave a tiny bit of slack (if you use a pony tail holder to secure the bun). Try and see if you can get at least 2 fingers under the hair just above the holder. If you draw back your hair too tightly, it can create a strain on your hairs, especially the very delicate hair in the front.

Nenwing
October 29th, 2010, 11:15 PM
Anje, that is a very wonderful index! Did you create that, or is it a LHC link? That is a very useful tool! :)

hairobsessed1
October 29th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Thank you for the sugestions- I'm looking forward to experimenting