PDA

View Full Version : shampoo amount

allnaturalboy
October 29th, 2010, 03:48 PM
I've been looking around on the boards, and I've noticed quite a few people saying they only use about a dime or nickel sized amount of shampoo to wash their hair. I've always used more than that! Even with shorter hair. Is that weird? I don't get any lather at all if I try to use less. I have really hard water here though.

October 29th, 2010, 04:05 PM
Same here.

I always end up using not a dime but 3 or 4 dimes on my head to wash it properly. Even though I am currently using Lush's Rehab, and it's famous for lathering really well even when used in small amounts.

But for me if I try to use less shampoo, i end up with greasy stains on my hair.

*Admin note: Server madness caused an account to malfunction. A "guest" did not actually post in this thread.

allnaturalboy
October 29th, 2010, 04:10 PM
Same here.

I always end up using not a dime but 3 or 4 dimes on my head to wash it properly. Even though I am currently using Lush's Rehab, and it's famous for lathering really well even when used in small amounts.

But for me if I try to use less shampoo, i end up with greasy stains on my hair.

I'm glad I'm not the only one! I had been trying to decrease the amount I use, but I always end up with greasy hair. So I gave up. I guess if your hair is happy with it, why argue?

christine1989
October 29th, 2010, 04:12 PM
I CO wash most of the time so when I shampoo I use quite a bit (about 10 dime sized amounts!) Since I don't shampoo every day I suppose it is ok.

October 29th, 2010, 04:14 PM
allnaturalboy

I gave up trying to change that looong time ago :cool:

That's how much shampoo my hair needs to be cleaned.
So you are right: no harm done - no fuzz :cheese:

*Admin note: Server madness caused an account to malfunction. A "guest" did not actually post in this thread.

JayLee
October 29th, 2010, 04:29 PM
I was under the impression that the lather only happens on already clean hair. I usually CO wash, but when I do use poo I only use a very small amount. I don't get the whole sudsy experience but my hair is very clean nonetheless.

enfys
October 29th, 2010, 04:36 PM
I have no idea how big those coins are but I'd guess I use about 1 or 2 tsp mixed with just more than twice as much water in an empty bottle and shaken up into a lather. It gives me all the lather without any of the friction it would take otherwise.

KarpatiiSiv
October 29th, 2010, 04:41 PM
I have no idea how big those coins are but I'd guess I use about 1 or 2 tsp mixed with just more than twice as much water in an empty bottle and shaken up into a lather. It gives me all the lather without any of the friction it would take otherwise.

I also dilute my shampoo by the same ratio. I used to use nearly 3 times as much shampoo but found that by diluting it I don't need as much and I still get as much lather as I used to. :)

October 29th, 2010, 04:48 PM
I also dilute my shampoo by the same ratio. I used to use nearly 3 times as much shampoo but found that by diluting it I don't need as much and I still get as much lather as I used to. :)

Hmm... Sounds like a good idea to me. Will try it tomorrow. SO you mix it with water in a bowl?

HintOfMint
October 29th, 2010, 06:40 PM
I think a lot of people who use that little amount of shampoo are only washing their scalps.

enfys
October 29th, 2010, 06:47 PM
I think a lot of people who use that little amount of shampoo are only washing their scalps.

In my case (again, can't relate to coins; for all I know I'm using 50 times more) I can make enough lather to wash my scalp with plenty of excess to gently squeeze down the length when I'm washing a heavy oiling out. Otherwise the lather runs down without any encouragement.

I do use SLS though, which may well make more lather than other people's shampoos.

ktani
October 29th, 2010, 07:03 PM
If I really stretch out a wash, my scalp and hair there will get oily. I wash that first and use the lather from that on my length. If my hair still does not feel right, I take maybe a drop of extra shampoo, rub it in my hands and apply that to the length. This is done in the shower and my hands and hair are wet, my hair detangled under running water and smoothed all forward.

If during washing my scalp, I get no or too little lather, I apply a few extra drops to my hands, rub my hands together and apply that to my scalp. Less is more. I use full strength shampoo. My shampoo though is not harsh.

To start out, I cup one hand and "fill the well" in my palm at the deepest part only, not too full (I have very small hands). I then take some shampoo on the fingers of my other hand and rub that on my forearm to spread it out and "emulsify" it. I use that to apply to areas of my scalp. Then, I rub what is left between my hands, and apply that to my scalp, so that no one area has too much concentrated shampoo and what is applied, has been applied evenly.

It works for me. I adjust the amount of shampoo going in by how oily my scalp hair looks. I read this years ago, recommended by a hair stylist, that one should not apply shampoo directly to the scalp, without "emulsifying" it in one's hands first. It allows one to use less shampoo and spread it out over a wider area.

twopoints
October 29th, 2010, 07:41 PM
Double shampooing makes it much easier to lather.

cindy58
October 29th, 2010, 07:46 PM
I dilute my shampoo quite a bit with warm water, but I use a good gob of shampoo in it. I think it actually works better when diluted.

ktani
October 29th, 2010, 07:47 PM
Double shampooing makes it much easier to lather.

That can be drying. However, if one uses a fraction of the amount one used for shampooing the first time it can work well without that risk. That is in effect what I do when I add the extra drops. I just do not rinse first necessarily.

clichepithet
October 29th, 2010, 08:04 PM
Hmm... Sounds like a good idea to me. Will try it tomorrow. SO you mix it with water in a bowl?

I use a hair color applicator bottle (http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:RfT6E5j7pnCAbM:http://elitebeautysupply.com/hair_color/Hair%20Dye/roux%20applicator%20bottle.jpg&t=1), purchased at my local beauty supply. It allows more direct control and access to the scalp with minimal manipulation. Shampoo in, water in, swirly-swirly it around, apply...

:cheese:

starlights
October 30th, 2010, 05:27 PM
I use a large dollop of shampoo to wash the oil out of my hair! hasnt done my hair any harm... whatever works for you

Valdeon
October 30th, 2010, 05:44 PM
I use a hair color applicator bottle (http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:RfT6E5j7pnCAbM:http://elitebeautysupply.com/hair_color/Hair%20Dye/roux%20applicator%20bottle.jpg&t=1), purchased at my local beauty supply. It allows more direct control and access to the scalp with minimal manipulation. Shampoo in, water in, swirly-swirly it around, apply...

:cheese:

Gotcha :wink: The applicator, that is ingenious!
I tried this shampoo+water method using just a small bottle. That worked, but felt a little bit messy since I was not able to control fully where this blend goes on my scalp. Thank you, clichepithet!

clichepithet
October 30th, 2010, 06:43 PM
Gotcha :wink: The applicator, that is ingenious!
I tried this shampoo+water method using just a small bottle. That worked, but felt a little bit messy since I was not able to control fully where this blend goes on my scalp. Thank you, clichepithet!

;) Thank LHC. I've no idea from where/whom I first heard of this method. Wouldn't do it any other way now, spoiled by my nozzle-bozzle.
Hope it works for you! :flowers:

Valdeon
October 30th, 2010, 07:15 PM
;) Thank LHC. I've no idea from where/whom I first heard of this method. Wouldn't do it any other way now, spoiled by my nozzle-bozzle.
Hope it works for you! :flowers:

I'd better get one ASAP then :)

KittyLost
November 1st, 2010, 03:17 AM
Years ago I used to use nearly a palm sized amount, I have small hands but still it was a lot of shampoo! When I was about 13 I read that when washing your hair you only needed a 10p size amount of shampoo and 50p size amount of conditioner.

Since I started using CWC I use a 50p amount of shampoo and a hell of a lot more conditioner! Haha.

Vermelha
November 1st, 2010, 05:41 PM
Oh, I'm bad about overusing shampoo, which could be my problem. I would do the double lather thing (lathering twice like it says on the bottle). Boy, was that a big mistake!

Now, I just use a nickel-size amount, focusing on my scalp and roots. The rest I just spread to my ends, if they need cleansing. I also switched shampoos to something more gentle, so maybe that'll help with my dry hair.