PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of a Conditioner-holic

krt1013
May 29th, 2008, 12:26 AM
So I have to admit --- I condition my hair every day, no matter what. And sometimes, I condition my hair twice a day too! This means that I get it wet often, but I never blow dry.

So my question is: could this eventually do damage? It feels so good right now, but I want the wise words of the fine ladies of LHC to tell me what they think!

Also, does anyone else obsessively condition like me? I think I have an addiction, lol! :D

Jeni
May 29th, 2008, 03:10 AM
I tend to use a lot of conditioner, and that conditioner is heavy. I also love doing deep treatments! I'm sure I would have more body if I used lighter conditioner, but I'd rather have shiny soft hair then frizzy hair with a little body.

Never thought about it damaging my hair. I've been doing it for years, never noticed any problems, but I'm no expert.

manderly
May 29th, 2008, 03:21 AM
Well, twice a day sounds like you have a bit of an addiction ;)

But judging from your avatar, your hair is stunning, so you must be doing something right.

aisling
May 29th, 2008, 03:42 AM
I can see a few things that could make this harmful. Do you wet your hair down to condition it? I assume you do, then be careful about handling your hair as wet hair is extra fragile and stretches more easily. Another thing is that this much conditioning could give bad and fast build up, if you're prone to get build up. Not only cones build up, you can also get build up from other ingredients. On me build up causes velcor ends, tangling, sticky ends which can cause further damage (through detangling for example).

Lamb
May 29th, 2008, 08:15 AM
Er... how long have you been doing this? A week or two? More?
I am asking because the harmful effects aisling has mentioned may not have shown up yet, but they probably will. Don't get me wrong, conditioner is good, but you need to let your scalp and hair alone a bit more. Too much care may easily "smother" your hair, your scalp, and your follicles, so ease up a bit!

Carolyn
May 29th, 2008, 08:45 AM
Are you doing something that requires you to wash your hair twice a day? Do you have a job where you get dirty or sweaty? Do you exercise or swim and need to wash after that? I would think that once a day would be enough. I understand your liking for freshly conditioned hair. I love the scent and the smoothness after conditioning. I like the heavier conditioners too as my hair can never get enough moisture and nothing can weigh it down. I think you have to find a balance that works for you.

lookingglass
May 30th, 2008, 09:59 PM
My scalp would be unhappy and I would need to clarify more often...that's about it.

GlassEyes
May 30th, 2008, 10:55 PM
I know how you feel. xD I condition my hair everyday even though I very rarely 'wash it' with any sort of cleanser.

Riot Crrl
May 30th, 2008, 11:45 PM
I do it too...

I dunno, seems like my hair is a lot less fragile when it's wet and conditioned than when it's crisped out from lack of water and conditioner.

Cinnamon Hair
May 30th, 2008, 11:54 PM
(tongue in cheek reply to follow)

Yes, wetting your hair to condition twice a day can lead to ear infections.

No, really. I have been told I had swimmer's ear on at least two occasions in the last few years and I only condition once a day. Use lots of q-tips. Make sure you get any water out of your ears after standing under the shower stream. :D

Saranne772
May 31st, 2008, 03:05 AM
I hold myself back from washing more than once a week, however I always condition when I do wash or my hair is a mess!

epiphanee
May 31st, 2008, 03:40 AM
Can I ask why? Why do you condition twice a day? What is it about conditioning that you desire/enjoy/need?

If this is truly obsessive behaviour, then it would be worthwhile understanding it better.

As for whether or not it is damaging your hair, it is a scientific fact that repeatedly wetting your hair will weaken it in the long term.

Cantabile
May 31st, 2008, 03:46 AM
Judging from your avatar, your hair certainly looks gorgeous, but I doubt you really need to condition twice a day. Once should be enough. At the rate of 2 conditionings a day, you're going to get a lot of buildup, especially if you're using cones, but even if you're cone-free, buildup's build to occur. Reduce it to once a day, or consider clarifying on a regular basis.