PDA

View Full Version : Coconut Oiling Question!

Zaane
October 29th, 2010, 07:36 AM
Hi! Hope this is in the right place, not really used to starting threads here heheh :).

I know many of you love coconut oil, and I myself have tried it a few times but I always ended up with an extreme amount of it left on my hair when it dried after I washed it, so I'm hoping maybe someone can tell me if I'm doing something wrong, thanks!

I'm gonna give a step-by-step rundown of what I do now, lol:
1. - Section hair into small sections and oil then until they look wet with coconut oil.
2. - Leave on for a few hours (sometimes overnight) under 2 plastic caps to keep the heat inside and keep the oil warm.
3. - CWC wash, while getting a lot of shampoo on the length to try to break down the oil.
4. - Air dry :)

When my hair is finished drying, it still looks extremely greasy! As if only 1/2 of the oil actually washed out :(. Maybe some of you have some tips for washing it out, maybe CO washing will help? Thanks in advance everyone! :pumpkin:

Lunakitty
October 29th, 2010, 07:43 AM
I never have this problem. I just put my hair is a pony tail. I use about a nickle sized blob of solid coconut oil in my hand, rub my hands to gether to melt it, smooth it over my pony tail. Then I braid the pony tail and leave over night. In the morning I CWC and I'm great.

aenflex
October 29th, 2010, 07:48 AM
Try OIL>Wash>Condition?
Nevermind the CWC after a heavy oil treatment, is my opinion. I just see that as overkill. Sometimes you need shampoo, specially with all the C in your routine :)

duh_its_Sarah
October 29th, 2010, 07:57 AM
i put WAY too much in my hair for the last year im discovering now..........
i used like 2 tbsp. whoa.

danacc
October 29th, 2010, 09:03 AM
I find that a light, no-cone conditioner removes coconut oil better than shampoo in my hair. I would try a CO, then wash and condition. Make sure you squish the conditioner in well for the CO, and leave it on the hair for a minute or so before rinsing.

Intransigentia
October 29th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Last week I saturated my hair with coconut oil just how you describe. It came out really easily with conditioner. What I did was, saturate the coconutted hair with conditioner before even getting wet, left it to sit while I did other bath things, and then rinsed it out. I read somewhere on here that works better than wetting the hair before applying the conditioner, because otherwise you get the oil and the water repelling one another and it's harder for the conditioner to penetrate.

RadiantNeedle
October 29th, 2010, 09:07 AM
I absolutely recommend the coneless conditioner for washing it out. I'd go so far as to say that you'd benefit from leaving the conditioner on for ten minutes before rinsing if you're putting enough coconut oil in for your hair to look wet. I don't even shampoo after I condition-wash, and my hair is so amazingly soft! But that's mostly because I seem to be allergic to most shampoos.

Yozhik
October 29th, 2010, 09:09 AM
To me it sounds like you're using too much coconut oil in your hair. Even in the evening before wash day, I don't put in more than about two fingerscoops, and that leaves my hair plenty conditioned. :)

Why don't you try a smaller amount and see if that works? If not, you can always work your way up with increasing doses until you have the correct proportions for your hair. :flower:

Zaane
October 29th, 2010, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the replies everyone :), i think I'm going to go ahead and try putting less oil on and also leaving the conditioner on before getting my hair wet, hopefully that will work for me ;P.

Also do any of you recommend putting heat on the hair while its being oiled? I've read that you need to add heat to it so that it penetrates the hair better, but I can also see how leaving it on for almost 8 hours would too haha :P

Cholera
October 29th, 2010, 01:54 PM
Some people use heat caps when they want oil or deep conditioners to penetrate, but leaving it on for 8 hours probably works just as well with oil. I wouldn't bother with heat for a before-wash oiling.

Choctaw
October 29th, 2010, 01:59 PM
I love oil rinses (coconut, castor, sunflower, almond, olive, hemp seed). I use conditioner to wash out excess oil.

jojo
October 29th, 2010, 04:12 PM
Yes definitely do not wet hair first; water and oil do not mix! I soak and I mean soak my hair once a week in oil overnight and just add conditioner-coneless works better, I leave this after massaging in well and again soaking through my hair for a good 30 minutes, then I rinse and do a coney conditioner. I never have a problem washing it out this way.

Not everybodys hair though IMHO can take a heavy oiling, my hair is fine but thickish so for me the thickness I think is why my hair accepts the heavy oiling.

christine1989
October 29th, 2010, 04:37 PM
I would definatly start with less. When I first started using it even a little bit was hard to get out. Over time my hair seemed to build up a better tolerence for it and I was able to use more while still being able to get it out. Working your way up to a larger amount is the way to go. Afterall, you don't need too much to see a benefit.

Zaane
October 29th, 2010, 05:23 PM
@jojo, My hair isnt as thin as I thought it was, but I definitely wouldn't say its thick either, haha :). I figured that because water is heavier than oil then it would lift the oil up from beneath it, but then that doesnt make sense cause the water ends up just sliding over the oil anyway LOL and @christine1989 I will definitely start with less the next time I do it :)

redneckprincess
October 29th, 2010, 06:30 PM
I just CO and it washes out no problem... I tried a WO and its still in after 2 washes/WO I wonder how WO people do get oil out of their hair??

lockswitoutkeys
October 30th, 2010, 04:23 AM
Unless you have super dry hair, in which case the stuff your doing is right..
Take about a dime-size amount of oil and rub it along the length of your hair. Use only a few drops of oil on your scalp and massage it well. Then leave it for as long as you like and shampoo (maybe twice). I know most people still condition with oil but its useless really. Whats the point of oil if your gonna slather more cream on after it?