PDA

View Full Version : Whose hair did you Inherit?

Dreamkitty
October 29th, 2010, 06:28 AM
When you look at your parents or even family tree. Whose hair did you inherit? and when you compare your hair to your siblings, do they have the same hair texture/thickness/length as you do?

I told my mum today this question. Of whose hair I inherited.

She said I had thick, wavy hair since I was born and was most similar to her eldest sisters (my aunties).

My sister has thin hair but grows more quickly in length and she inherited my mum's hair & her youngest sister.

:D I have the thick hair and my sister has the length. But Im jealous of my sister's hair because hers grows really fast and people comment on her length lol

~bear
October 29th, 2010, 06:46 AM
I'd say mine comes from my dad's side. My mom's is dark, fine and very very straight. Doesn't hold a curl well at all and on humid days it goes flat. Most of her siblings have similar hair.

My dad's is (considerably ;)) shorter and smoother than mine but has body and waves. He is the 2nd youngest of 8 siblings, most of whom I've never met and all but one is male, so I don't really have that to compare to.

My brother's is similar to mine in length and texture but his is a bit straighter and thinner.

DecafJane
October 29th, 2010, 06:52 AM
Dad had blonde, wavy/curly hair (he is grey now), and Mum has slightly wavy, very dark brown hair. I have my Dad's texture but the colour is somewhere in-between. I always felt a bit ripped off that I didn't get the blonde. ;)

kitschy
October 29th, 2010, 06:54 AM
Everything about mine comes from my dad. Thick, curly and blond.

My mom has fine, silky, dark brown hair....I mean HAD. She is 80 years old.

Belisarius
October 29th, 2010, 06:56 AM
Both. It's a mix between them. Not as dark as my dad not as light as my mother. Not as tightly curled as my dad or as loosely curled as my mother.

paperwhite
October 29th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I ended up with Mom's texture (fine and pretty straight, but it'll hold a curl well enough) and something close to Dad's color--not close enough, IMO. My brother, on the other hand, ended up with Dad's thickness and wurly texture, and OMG the shine! We have the same hair color which seems to get closer to Mom's color every year. I always look at the heads of hair on Dad's side with envy. I dyed for years to get the colors they have, but there's not much I can do about the texture :shrug:

*ladygodiva*
October 29th, 2010, 07:02 AM
I inherited my mothers our hair is identical

Miasen
October 29th, 2010, 07:14 AM
Well, according to my grandmother and her sisters I am the spitting image of their mother, including the hair. The oldest of my sisters seems to have inherited my mom's hair, only a lot thicker. And my youngest sister has inherited my dad's pinstraight hair, only a lot thicker. The three of us together makes for a lot of hair, especially since we all keep it long. XD

Neneka
October 29th, 2010, 07:31 AM
My hair is like my fathers' when he was younger. His hair just went black but mine didn't. My sisters' hair is very different, finer, lighter and thinner. Mine is fine too but not that fine.

mrs_coffee
October 29th, 2010, 07:39 AM
I'm adopted so I have no idea, but my oldest has her dad's exact texture and color, my middle kid has my exact texture and color, and my youngest has a mix of my husband's color but with some wave from me.

adiapalic
October 29th, 2010, 07:43 AM
Texture, and thickness is somewhere between mama and daddy's, but my color is more like mama's--very dark brown new growth that gradually turns midbrown at the ends.

Hers is coarse, very thick, with waves.

My daddy's is very fine, doesn't grow in particular thick, and he was nearly blonde as a child with it darkening to a mid-dark brown as he got older.

hairobsessed1
October 29th, 2010, 07:52 AM
i have been told- but not sue if it's true that you hair type is a mixer of influences from your mothers father and you fathers mother. so your grandad on your mums side and you grandmother on you dads side :S confusing. although i think grandad on my mums side is correct for me.

schweedie
October 29th, 2010, 07:54 AM
Definitely not my mother's side - my mum and relatives on her side have coarse, frizzy hair that is kind of almost-curly. On my dad's side they're more similar to my type, though not exactly the same.

When I was little I was always afraid that I would get my mother's hair as I got older. She had straight, fine, blonde hair like me until she was thirteen or so, and then her hair just transformed into a darker brown, coarse mess over the course of a year. It probably could've looked a lot better if she knew how to take care of it, but really, getting her hair was my biggest fear.

mira-chan
October 29th, 2010, 07:58 AM
According to picture my hair looks exactly like my grandmothers (dad's mum) whom I never met as she died before I was born.

theboredelf
October 29th, 2010, 07:58 AM
My father's, mostly. All of my female relatives (other than my mother, who has thin, blonde hair) are not kind to their hair, so I have no idea if mine is similar to theirs.

ZaBasDa
October 29th, 2010, 08:41 AM
I'm adopted, but I've been told it was a mixture. Birth father had super curly almost afro like black hair, and my birth mother had light brown kinda sorta wavy hair. I got dark brown, rather curly. My little sister has both our parent's hair. I know my mother has thick 1a, fine, almost black hair. And my father has maybe 1c/2a hair that used to be light blonde and F/M and thin. My little sister got her blonde hair from my father, albeit a bit darker. She got my father's thin hair, but my mother's straighter hair.

Themyst
October 29th, 2010, 08:47 AM
I have my mother's hair - her family is from the Carpathian Mountain region of what is now Ukraine. It's fine textured and when born was platinum blond, growing up it turned golden light brown, and after two kids, has turned medium brunette.

I wish I had my dad's hair genes, though. His family was from North Wales and his hair is jet black - he's in his mid-seventies and he only has a few gray hairs!

ETA: But my sister has jet black hair just like my dad! But my brother has hair like mine - except his stayed blond.

marzipanthecat
October 29th, 2010, 08:52 AM
I don't seem to have anyone's hair type, or even the same sort of colour.

I have a lot of blonde cousins, and quite a few bright ginger cousins, and a few redheads, so I suppose I really am an example of a mix of all of that.

My texture really is not like anyone else, though. It's something that's been discussed amongst the family before now (where did this one come from?!!)

JulietCapulet
October 29th, 2010, 08:58 AM
Probably the paternal side.

spidermom
October 29th, 2010, 09:00 AM
I have no idea. I haven't met a family member with hair like mine.

Harriet
October 29th, 2010, 11:33 AM
I got my red hair from my great grandfather on my mums side. I think my freckles came from him too!

MAO
October 29th, 2010, 11:37 AM
I've got my dad's exact hair color. Not quite sure where my waves and wurls came from...I've yet to see anyone in my family with anything other than straight hair :confused:

punkcatknitter
October 29th, 2010, 11:43 AM
I got the blonde part from my mom... all three of us did. My brother and I both have thick wavy hair and my sister and my mom both have stick straight, never so much as a wave, hair.

I'm not sure if the wavy came from my dad... kind of hard to tell 'cause his hair has always been so short. But my aunt has wavy/curly hair, and her daughter and I have very similar hair. My skin is an amusing mix of both my parents... deathly pale like my mom in the winter but I can brown up nicely in the summer courtesy of my dad's Greek mother. :)

ddiana1979
October 29th, 2010, 11:58 AM
I think I'm a mutant.

My mom has 2a / M/C / iii dark brown hair with lots of silver throughout. She started getting silvers in her early twenties. My dad had 2b / C / iii dark brown to black hair, with *very little* gray even at age 70. After he had chemo, when his hair came back in, it was a lovely silver color. My half sibling (dad's son) has blonde 2b / M / ii hair.

How in the world I ended up with stick straight, medium brown hair, I have no idea. NOBODY else in the family has it. Oh, and I'm also deathly pale. If I get in the sun for more than 15 minutes without 55 sunblock, I burn badly. No one else in the family has that problem either.

KayBee
October 29th, 2010, 12:09 PM
I guess I'm a mixture of both parents. My mother has fine hair but my father had curly hair, as did his brother and sister. Mine was thick as a kid but it's medium now.

mellie89
October 29th, 2010, 12:32 PM
I'm a throwback to my grandmother. My parents and brother all have super thick, coarse, wavy brown hair, and mine is fine, blond, and straight.

I won't go as far as to hairtype my family, but my mom would probably have about a 5" ponytail circumference if she grew it out. I'm so jealous! :p

(I am also the tallest one in my family, taller than my dad even. And I'm the only nearsighted one. I think I may be secretly adopted!)

aksown
October 29th, 2010, 12:38 PM
I have the exact same tawny hair as my dad. My brother on the other hand has the exact same hair as our uncle (Mom's side). It's almost black, 2c/3a C iii. It really irks me since he has these piercing blue eyes and perfectly shaped eyebrows too! :mad:

TinaDenali
October 29th, 2010, 12:43 PM
I think I got my dad's hair. My mom's is very thick and darkish warm brown, where my dad's is my texture and light black. My hair is dark ash blonde, so I've got the ash-y tones and texture from my dad.

wackyredtangles
October 29th, 2010, 12:45 PM
I have the exact same color hair my grandmother did, red. Both my parents have very dark brown hair, my dad's may be a bit wavy, but my mom's is dead straight. My hair is quite a bit coarser than either or theirs, and much more wurly. One of my maternal aunts looks like she has hair closer in texture to mine.

I don't have any full blooded siblings, but my older sister has dark very curly hair, my younger sister and sister have fine, but thick stick straight dark hair. My youngest brother looks like he has a bit of reddish tint in his.

*Sidenote DH is a bit superstitious about odd things. My mom and I have the same skin tone, freckles, and eye color, but while I have red hair she has super dark, almost black brown hair. The first time DH met my mom apparently we both turned towards him at the same time, and he found the fact we had almost opposite hair but exactly the same eyes very creepy.

twopoints
October 29th, 2010, 12:47 PM
I think I inherited more from my dad. My mother's hair is more coarse. My hair has more of a brown tone than the black of my parents though.

Madora
October 29th, 2010, 01:16 PM
According to Czar of Long Hair, George Michael, we inherit our hair from our mother's father and our father's mother.

I also think my grandmother, who had gorgeous red gold hair (which, alas, I did NOT inherit), had something to do with it too..to wit:

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/img113.jpg

KayBee
October 29th, 2010, 01:21 PM
My grandmother on my father's side had thick, tight curly hair, and my grandfather on my mother's side had very thick, dark and wavy hair..so I dunno about that, LOL.

Inchworm
October 29th, 2010, 01:24 PM
my grandmother! she was born in hungrey and came over with my dad when he was 2 and is jewish. my dad has the thick curly dark "jewish"(as he calls it) hair and she has blonde thin hair. i have thickish med. dark redish blonde hair. my mom has thick red/brown hair and is from germany.

ilovelonghair
October 29th, 2010, 02:37 PM
No idea where mine comes from, I was the only one with straight hair in my family, but now it has waves and the occasional vague spiral. The color is like my mothers.

frodolaughs
October 29th, 2010, 02:41 PM
My hair is pretty different from both my parents, but it's exactly like my sisters except for the color and the small, petty facts that her hair is knee length and her ponytail has twice the circumference of mine.

Yeesha
October 29th, 2010, 02:48 PM
The color comes definitely from my mom's side. On my mom's side there are quite a few aunts and cousins with reddish hair, and mine is reddish blonde...
Hmmm but maybe the thickness comes from my dad's side (at least I hope this - I know my grandma and a few aunts have/had reaaaaally long hair... *g*).

So I guess it's both a bit?

And my siblings... Hm. I've got two brothers, one with short (as in... 5mm short) dark brown hair and one with a liiiiittle bit longer light brown (and curly. He had about APL once and it was really curly, that comes from my mother's side) hair. The three of us are quite different. *g*

mali
October 29th, 2010, 03:04 PM
My dad for texture=2b/2c curls(me too) . My mom...I have nothing from her,aside MAYBE her hair color.Well,I don't really know that.All I know about my mom's hair color,as she describes it was that she was strawberry blonde when young,but I've seen her pictures since she was 8 and it was a dark brown.So,I don't know who to trust!And my grandma and my aunt say different things about her young hair color so I just stopped asking.:cool: Her hair is thin to medium,and I have a lot of hair.My hair strand is also thicker with ocasional coarse hairs,here and there.My great-great grandma was a redhead so I think that's were I got my red tones from.My dad's hair color was lighter than me.I am a medium to dark blonde or even light brown depends on the seasons.I got the paleness of my skin from her I think and my eyes from my grandma from my dad's side(hazel) but that's not hair related!:D

Qwackie
October 29th, 2010, 03:10 PM
Hair from my dad's side. It's dark brown, but almost black, dark enough to be mistaken. It grows super fast, about an inch a month, and it's straight but has a tendency to wave when it gets long.

christine1989
October 29th, 2010, 03:23 PM
I'm adopted so my hair is pretty unique to anyone in my family. It is the darkest and I am the only one who dosen't have super fine hair.

jasper
October 29th, 2010, 03:25 PM
From my dad's side I inherited thin, fine and bland colored hair. yay. :cheese:

My mom's side has thick hair and occasional redheads.

Marieke
October 29th, 2010, 03:31 PM
I'll bring my gratitude to my mother: she also has dark, shiny hair with a fine texture :).

nuri
October 29th, 2010, 05:45 PM
My fathers. Oh my, my father's. In fact, I pretty much inherited everything from my father. Body type, nose, hair color and type. I think it's to make up for the rest of the family, who look more like my mother.

We look disturbing similar when I wear my hair short.

Barniie
October 29th, 2010, 05:56 PM
Both of my parents had light blonde (in my dad's case, white) hair when they were my age, but soon after my dad turned dark brown - So i think I got my mums hair. Somehow my sister ended up with brunette from the start. I dont know how that even works :)

KayBee
October 29th, 2010, 06:01 PM
My hair color comes from my father's side. My mother's side of the family has dark brown or auburn hair, my father's side has light to medium brown hair. I'm just not sure where my hair type comes from.

Synthemesc
October 29th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Inherited pretty much everything from my dad. Fine, ashy blonde hair (which shouldn't go grey for a good while yet!), blue eyes and shortness. My brother got my mums brown eyes, thick dark brown hair and sensible height. Jealous? Not in the slightest. :P

narydaco
October 29th, 2010, 06:28 PM
Definitely my mom's. We're almost identical in color, texture and thickness. We have the same widow's peek and cowlicks too! My sister inherited the good hair genes from my dad's side. Her's is thick, curly and red.....gorgeous!

My grandmother always said my aunt had the most crazy hair color changes... it started blonde, darkened to brown, got red later in life and finally went gray, without any dye at all. I thought that was extremely weird until it happened to me too. I was white blond as a toddler, then turned med-dark brown in my teens. In my 20s I got some serious red highlights, so much that everyone asked me if I was dyeing it that way, but I didn't! And now, alas, I'm seeing the salt and peppers taking over. But, I'm ok with that! :)

2peasinapod
October 29th, 2010, 08:10 PM
My mother's. We have the exact same color, wave pattern, and everything. I'm glad because I used to admire her hair when it was long, and now I know how my hair will look! :D

SilvraShadows
October 29th, 2010, 09:48 PM
My mother, German, had thick blond hair and wore it long. She could grow it to her knees if she wanted but kept it at tb.

My dad, English/Welsh decent, has thin baby fine hair.

Definitely... a thank you to my dad.

Now my daughter has beautiful thick, capable of growing it to her knees, hair. But her dad, like me, also had thin and baby fine hair. So I believe her hair came from my mother... her blue eyes passed down from my dad. My eyes are green... her dad's hazel... my daughter's are blue as blue can be, just like my dad's, yet they change at times and look steely blue, just like my mother's did.

girlcat36
October 29th, 2010, 10:05 PM
The milkman's????
I have hair unlike anyone in my family. I just don't even look like any of 'em!

Nenwing
October 29th, 2010, 11:38 PM
The milkman's????
I have hair unlike anyone in my family. I just don't even look like any of 'em!

:D

I think mine came from the mailmans? :mail:

Really though I pretty much have my Mom's color light brown, and a little of my Dad's wavyness and reddish highlights from him. Mom has permed hers for years and years to make it curly, but it is naturally board straight, and my Dads was almost afro curly and reddish brown back in his younger years, and is now softly wavy and silver/white.

Alix
October 29th, 2010, 11:41 PM
I got a looser version of my moms waves. She has what looks like perfect braid waves every time she dries it.

Not sure where my color comes from because both my parents have dark dark brown hair and mine is rather light.

Gilly
October 29th, 2010, 11:44 PM
My mum was a redhead with waves and my dad was blonde and very fine.

I have the colour and fineness of my dad but got my mums texture and waves, which has screwed me completely!:rolleyes:

Loreley
October 30th, 2010, 12:37 AM
I inherited my father's hair. He has very thick hair, probably M/C as mine and it's wavy/curly (I don't know exactly because he always keeps it short). My mum has the opposite: very fine, straight and thin hair. I'm glad I have my dad's. :D

lockswitoutkeys
October 30th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Well everything else, I'm like my dad. But when it comes to hair, apparently its just like my (maternal) grandmas'.

noelgirl
October 30th, 2010, 06:58 AM
My mom's hair is thick, wurly, and dirty blonde, while my dad's is fine, straight, and jet black. I got more of my mom's texture and my dad's color. My sister takes after my dad more, since her hair is straighter.

starlights
October 30th, 2010, 05:06 PM
My mums got curly/ very wavy hair and my father has straight hair. Overall both my brother and I have the same texture, colour, i think we've inherited my father's straight hair with a little curl thrown in from mum.

JamieLeigh
October 30th, 2010, 08:45 PM
Hard to say...seeing as most of my dad's family are way older than me and have their silvers and whites already, and most of my mom's family has passed away already. :(

I would say that I have a mix of my mom's fine texture and my dad's coarse texture...because I have medium with patches of coarse and fine. My mother's family have very thin hair...i.e., you can see a lot of scalp through their hair, and my dad's family have thick hair. Again, right in the middle for me. :cool:

Length-wise? My dad's family all have above-the-ears short hair, even the women, and my mom's family has several women who have at one time had their hair waist length or longer. My grandmother had hers to her knees up until a few months before she died, and her sister still has hers to the floor and beyond (from what I hear, she lives hundreds of miles away and is of the Pentacostal faith).

I'm pretty much the oddball.

MsBubbles
October 30th, 2010, 08:59 PM
I inherited my Dad's hair.

MissManda
October 30th, 2010, 09:20 PM
My dad has 2b/2c/M/ii hair that is medium-dark brown.
My mom has 1a/1b/F/i/ii hair that is dirty blonde.
My maternal grandmother has F/i hair that used to be blonde and has always been thin. It is a medium gray-ish color.
My maternal grandfather had dark brown hair that was of M texture, but I don't know how curly it was.
My paternal grandmother has 1a/1b/F/ii hair that is black and turning an iron gray color.
My paternal grandfather appears to have wavy hair of some sort that used to be thicker and red with an M/C texture.
My younger sister has 2-something/M/ii hair that is dirty blonde. My other sister appears to have hair that is somewhat like mine, just a little thinner.

So I have my dad's color with my 1c hair being some kind of cross between the straightness and waviness. My dad is the only other person in my family that was born with a full head of dark brown hair, everyone else was born with thin, fine blonde hair that darkened with age. Don't know where the thickness came from since none of my relatives have hair as thick as mine.

jenwexler
October 30th, 2010, 09:39 PM
Just like my face, my hair is exactly half and half. My hair is soft and mostly straight with a slight wave like my dad's hair but it is thick and almost black like my mother.

aksown
October 31st, 2010, 09:23 PM
i have been told- but not sue if it's true that you hair type is a mixer of influences from your mothers father and you fathers mother. so your grandad on your mums side and you grandmother on you dads side
Yeah... I'm not buying it. My paternal grandmother had black hair and my maternal grandfather had black hair. My mother inherited her blonde hair, tan-ish skin color and yellow eyes from her maternal grandfather. I think hair color, along with everything else about us, is a roll of the genetic dice.

LisaMonster
October 31st, 2010, 09:30 PM
Both mum and dad have thick, dark, Jewish hair

GRU
November 1st, 2010, 07:42 AM
I'm adopted, but I have met my birthmother.

My birthfather's identity hasn't been confirmed (not sure if the birthmother even knows which guy it was), but based on my hair, I'm going to take a guess that my birthfather is Bozo the Clown (http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3275/2715786898_f396c6b1d0_z.jpg). If I were younger, I'd place my bet on Carrot Top (http://ewpopwatch.files.wordpress.com/2007/05/ct_l.jpg), but given that he was three years old at the time of my conception, I think that Bozo is a more likely suspect.

just_ace
November 1st, 2010, 07:48 AM
I inerited my hair type from my Mum, we've both got thin, fine, blonde hair.

Druid of Alba
November 1st, 2010, 11:53 AM
I have thick, slightly wavy hair, just like my mom. Both of us have hair that doesn't really part, we can push it back and it stays back nicely, which I really like (this is probably due to the wave). I'm glad that my hair isn't always falling into a part, and falling forward over my face!

greentealeaf
November 1st, 2010, 12:58 PM
A little of both. My parents both have black hair that is fairly thick. My mom has super straight Asian hair, though and I got my dad's waves and curls.

mali
November 1st, 2010, 01:27 PM
Yeah,I'm not really buying it either but it seems in my case it worked.

Quote:
i have been told- but not sure if it's true that you hair type is a mixer of influences from your mother's father and you father's mother. so your granddad on your mum's side and you grandmother on you dad's side ..
I think I've got my waviness from my father's mom and my thickness from my mother's father.I think it's just a coincidence,tough.I mean,I'm not even sure I have those from them.Just a guess.;)

aberbeth
November 1st, 2010, 02:02 PM
Hi,
I'm new here.
I got my hair from my mom and my dad. Mom's hair is thick and reddish- coppery brown. Dad's hair is thin and dark brown. I have medium thickness and about the same color as Mom's hair.

aberbeth
November 1st, 2010, 02:17 PM
Oh, also my mom's hair is medium curly and my dad's hair is straight. My hair has body and slight wave but not like my moms.

eicamawa
November 1st, 2010, 02:27 PM
My moms. We both have thick, blonde hair, the only difference was that she hadcurly hair when she was younger, and I have straight. My brother has my dad's hair. It's much more stiff, and has it's own life.

lhangel9
November 1st, 2010, 09:08 PM
Both. It's a mix between them. Not as dark as my dad not as light as my mother. Not as tightly curled as my dad or as loosely curled as my mother.

I have to agree with "Both." There's 7 of us and we each have different (but very similar) hair types that mimic both of our parents. We all have anagen, telogen and catogen growing stages at different times. Sometimes one or more of us will have hair that grows so fast the others can't keep up and visa versa.