PDA

View Full Version : Newbie Mistake: Not realizing effects accumulate

XcaliburGirl
October 29th, 2010, 05:50 AM
When I first started experimenting with my hair (after years of semi-successful benign neglect--oh, for the simpler times), I think I did not realize that everything I did to my hair did not have an absolute effect.

For example, on a scale from 1 to 10, with 1 being dry, poor condition and 10 being very moisturized, good condition, let's say my hair was currently at 5.

I thought originally, if I did a moisture treatment, like an SMT, my hair would immediately jump to 10. I started doing CO-washes (was trying the Curly Girl method) and also thought my hair would jump to 10 in the first couple of days. I knew it would take a while for my scalp to get used to it and stop producing so much oil, so I was afraid that one shampoo wash would dry my scalp out and I'd have to start the transitioning period all over again. I also thought that if a dandruff shampoo worked for me, that meant that after one use, I would have no flakes and they wouldn't come back.

Now, I don't really think that's true. If it was, clarifying would be disastrous and all dryness or damage could be completely repaired with one treatment. I’ve been doing daily CO with a sulfate wash every five days or so, and though my hair/scalp is a little less moisturized on that day, it’s in no way dried out to the point it was when I was using them daily.
I am curious to hear if anyone else has observed something different.

luxepiggy
October 29th, 2010, 09:43 PM
I've only been CO washing for a week, but I must say I definitely got immediate results from that, and my hair doesn't seem to have required any transition period. The improvements have actually been far more dramatic than I had expected.

With SMT's, I had more of the experience you describe, where the results got more pronounced and lasted longer as they accumulated over time.

Vermelha
October 29th, 2010, 09:50 PM
Well, I'm with you. Changes in the hair aren't instant for my type of hair, which is like medium/coarse. It takes a few go-arounds before my hair feels the way I want it to. For instance, it took like 2-3 washes before my oiling regime really made a difference in my ends.

Co-washing didn't work instantly for me either. After the third co-wash, my hair felt amazing. But then, I found that too many of these made my hair soggy, limp, and retain excessive moisture to the point where it would never dry. So it works in reverse for some people too...too much of a good thing, they say.

But most people have found that happy medium with their hair. I've recently come to that. My hair is exactly where I want it to be, but it took time to get there.

McFearless
October 30th, 2010, 12:07 AM
Its one of those things you have to experience the hard way. You can dye or heat style your hair a hundred times without damage. But that 101th time could bring you 101 days of damage, all at once out of nowhere.

Anyway your CO experience sounds very similar to most. You could try a CWC wash on the days you use shampoo. Or you could use milder detergents in your shampoo.

Vermelha
October 30th, 2010, 11:30 AM
Its one of those things you have to experience the hard way. You can dye or heat style your hair a hundred times without damage. But that 101th time could bring you 101 days of damage, all at once out of nowhere.

Anyway your CO experience sounds very similar to most. You could try a CWC wash on the days you use shampoo. Or you could use milder detergents in your shampoo.

SO true! All it takes is one!