PDA

View Full Version : ? keep hair out of face when down ?

share801
October 29th, 2010, 01:58 AM
I have always had bangs until a few years ago and have found myself either wearing my hair up or using a headband since I grew them out. Is there any other option? I mean, if I am not blow frying, how do I get the hair to go away from my face and stay there more or less?

I don't really want to go back to bangs but am tired of not knowing what to do without them. I guess I thought it would magically "get better" when they caught up more with the rest but that is not happening.

Any advice, especially pictures would be helpful.

Purdy Bear
October 29th, 2010, 02:05 AM
Hair combs are quite good for holding hair back. Iv also seen alice band type braids used on You Tube using dutch, french and lace braiding across the front of the head.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5Y0YrB2F54&p=E88AD2FE903C25AB&playnext=1&index=90

Dragon
October 29th, 2010, 02:07 AM
I used bobby pins while growing out mine. I don't have bangs any more but still use them to keep my hair out of my face.

WinterInBloom
October 29th, 2010, 02:33 AM
I don't know if your hair would be the same as mine, but this might be worth a shot:

Hair has a tendency to stay in the position in which it dries, hence when you sleep with wet hair and it ends up plastered to your head in a ridiculous way (if you don't position your hair and head perfectly and then stay that way the whole night. :p). What I do to train my hair back if it insists on going forward is spritz it lightly with water, and then pin or clip it back and let it dry before letting it down. I train the hair at the back/crown like this if it keeps parting weird and wanting to move forward, and I've done it with bangs/long front hair too. Find yourself some little claw trips, I think they leave less of a crimp in your hair, and try clipping your slightly damp hair back in the morning while you're getting ready. :)

October 29th, 2010, 02:39 AM
When I grew my bangs out, bobby pins were a major help. I clipped my bangs in the position i wanted when it was still wet and let them dry this way. Or created a poof ion the top of my head using bang hair, or just french braided this part till say ear and then fixed it with two crossed bobby pins or a headband.
Good luck!

*Admin note: Server madness caused an account to malfunction. A "guest" did not actually post in this thread.

jane53
October 29th, 2010, 03:31 AM
Hair has a tendency to stay in the position in which it dries, :)

Wow! Everyone's hair sure is different. The above statement is entirely untrue for my hair.

torrilin
October 29th, 2010, 05:12 AM
Fine hair is often described as flyaway. The strands are tiny and thin, and only a tiny bit of static electricity is needed for them to stick to everything or float. The wind grabs 'em. The breeze of walking or riding a bike grabs 'em.

A lot of hair stylists will give fearsome warnings about how if you use lots of conditioner or styling product, you'll weight down the hair and it will have no volume. Styling product may be a problem, but conditioner is usually not. I'd suggest trying to find the point where your hair is acting like there's too much conditioner or where it seems to have absorbed all the benefit it can get. Hair with enough conditioner is not quite so flyaway.

The other thing is to be realistic about length. For my hair, individual strands start being long enough and thus heavy enough to stay put at about APL. Bits shorter than that will still be pretty float happy, and will cheerfully form a delicate hazy halo around my head in updos, and just generally will be a pain. And you will *always* have bits like that, since new hairs are growing to replace shed ones all the time. My hair is straight tho, so the potential for it to get really creative in torturing me is somewhat limited... As a 2a, you might find your hair takes more length to behave, or that the baby hairs are more frustrating.

(the tool recommendations upthread are good too... but tools won't necessarily help if there's an expectation mismatch)

Carolyn
October 29th, 2010, 07:29 AM
You can tuck the sides behind your ears, you can do half ups, you can do a little 40s type roll thing across the front of your hair or down each side. I have hair that's on the finer side and now that it's longer it stays back over my shoulders most of the time. I guess I'm used to moving it to place where I want it.

spidermom
October 29th, 2010, 09:08 AM
I used to use small clips to pull my growing-out bangs to the side, also pretty, jeweled bobby pins.

May
October 29th, 2010, 09:46 AM
How about just your bangs pulled back like a mini pompadour. It's really cute and 'in' Lauren Conrad (http://img153.imageshack.us/i/laurenconradhairpoof.jpg/)

Or how about the bangs pinned back on the sides sort of like a half-up hairstyle?
Like these (http://img517.imageshack.us/i/hhhqp.jpg/)

Or this one. (http://img121.imageshack.us/i/halfupdohairstyleinlong.jpg/)

share801
October 29th, 2010, 08:43 PM
Thanks, ladies! May, the pictures were great! I don't tend to see a lot of long hairs in real life, so it helps to see what others are doing.

WinterInBloom
October 30th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Wow! Everyone's hair sure is different. The above statement is entirely untrue for my hair.

That's one of those things that makes us so wonderfully unique.:) Having hair that will kinda stay however it dries can be great when I plan it. It never stays exactly, so like if I pull my bangs back all the way I'll get some volume out of them and they'll stay back some, instead of plastered back against my head when they dry. But you can see the curse in that too. If I go to bed with wet hair and toss and turn all night nothing will get rid of the funny bumps, kinks, and hair plastered to my head except re-wetting or flat ironing.:p