PDA

View Full Version : Something New That You've Tried Out Lately?

adiapalic
October 28th, 2010, 06:39 PM
A couple of days ago, I tried out washing my scalp only and not my length at all.
I read about it somewhere on here a while back, and every time I wanted to try it, I went ahead and gave into a full wash. So just recently I finally decided to try it out.
Well, I've been sick lately and even though I'd done a full wash not long ago, I really needed another wash. I simply did not want to deal with the cold wet length drying all over me again, and having to comb it all out, etc. etc.

So basically what I did was twist my hair into a bun at the very crown, then pulled the twist up with one hand and held my length above me while I wet my scalp under the shower--without wetting the length--and then proceeded to wash my scalp with shampoo one handed. Then I rinsed, got out.. and felt as perfectly clean as I normally do--but without the annoying chills I get from cold wet hair when I'm sick! It was pretty great.
I bet I could get away with keeping a little top-knot bun on the crown and washing with two hands. We'll see next time.

Anything you've tried out lately? How'd it work for you?

Vermelha
October 28th, 2010, 06:45 PM
Ooh, I need to start scalp-only washing too. I'm going to try braiding my length up and washing the scalp that way. My length is too short to do a top knot. I think there was an article about that somewhere though. Wash day is Sunday, so I'll give that a shot.
-------
Roller setting my hair and air drying it is something new for me. Before, my hair would air dry frizzy and hard to style. So I bought some magnetic rollers and started rolling it up after every wash. My hair is shiny and manageable. Sometimes I don't have to use setting lotion, just water.

I'm also trying sulfate- and paraben-free products. I found a mousse/setting lotion that was natural.

Anatheme
October 28th, 2010, 06:54 PM
I'm keen to try this too. Since I've started exercising more I need to wash my hair more than I'd like (I don't like leaving sweat on my scalp), but scalp-only washing could help a lot. Maybe even just a WO scalp rinse will do the trick some days. :)

MsBubbles
October 28th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Scalp washes have probably been the single best thing for my hair since BSL.

Something new I've been trying out lately? Not even thinking about my hair for weeks in a row!

GrowingGlory
October 28th, 2010, 08:20 PM
Making organic soap nut liquid for hair and body wash. I've done this before but not with this batch of soap nuts. I've also added a little organic lemon tea tree oil to the cold brewed batch. I've overdried my hair and need to baby it.

LaurelSpring
October 28th, 2010, 08:30 PM
I so love scalp washes now. Espcially that the weather is getting colder. It makes everything so much easier. I also got so excited when I started sleeping with my hair in a crown braid. That has been tremendous. I just ordered a snood on ebay. My hair is at a point where I cant wear it down around the house anymore because it gets in everything but sometimes it needs a break from being up so I am hoping that I can plop it into the snood. That is the plan, but I dont know yet how it will work. I need to see if there is a snood thread.

see_turtle
October 28th, 2010, 08:40 PM
I've been trying ( and mostly failing) to not touch my hair constantly...and to keep it up more...I just received a satin pillowcase in the mail and I have a hair fork on the way so those will be be new things as well.

littlenvy
October 28th, 2010, 08:48 PM
*peeks in*
*in a small voice says*

I put that thick zinc oxide diaper rash cream on and around my crown, kept it overnight and washed it out in the morning. And I LOVE it. My scalp feels soooo nice.
And I might do it again. :p
Not too often thou, because it has mineral oil in it and it smells :poot:

christine1989
October 28th, 2010, 09:16 PM
I have never been able to achieve this without getting all of my hair wet :( I think I lack the dexterity.

pennylane
October 28th, 2010, 09:33 PM
This is what i tried, and it is a keeper!!!!!!!!!!!!:D

Wash hair with Shampoo+ coconut oil :cheese:

Amazing, the best discovery , my dry, thick, curly hair loves it!

It is shampoo( i use no cone, no sulfates) mixed with coconut oil! That's it!:D

Read all about it in this thread:
"Hair care of movie stars from the past"

Bene
October 28th, 2010, 09:37 PM
Liquid silica, because DE is a pain in the ass and I'm terrible at remembering to take pills. I'll measure in a few weeks to see how it goes.

punkcatknitter
October 28th, 2010, 09:44 PM
In the past week I've tried CO washing (not sure it really did anything for me), aloe vera gel as a hair gel (LOVE it), and Jojoba oil (only used a tiny drop to smooth my crazy braid waves before I left the house today so no opinions yet, except that I don't not like it, lol).

adiapalic
October 29th, 2010, 07:29 AM
Scalp washes ARE great! :D it's definitely going to be helpful for when I'm in a hurry and need to wash my hair. It took literally no time at all for just the hair on my scalp to dry.

This actually sounds like a really good idea! I wonder if it would help some of the flaking on my scalp? I tend to get it about this time of year when it starts cooling off... and I can't help but think it's because I shampoo my scalp without putting conditioner on it, so it loses too much of the oils and gets dry because it's not hot and humid down here.
Which, if I actually *do* conditioner my scalp, it has *too* much oil on it.

Maybe my scalp would enjoy a hint of coconut oil in the shampoo?

Bene
October 29th, 2010, 08:27 PM
I got impatient and measured my hair. Last measurement on the 15th was 32.75 inches. Measurement today, 33.5 inches. Over a month's growth in 2 weeks!

Liquid silica is definitely a keeper for me. :)

Kristin
October 30th, 2010, 08:07 AM
I tried the coconut oil in shampoo thing, too. I think I like it. Shampoo usually makes my hair fly-away (even sulfate-free), but my hair had more weight after the combination wash. I also tried a different conditioner for my CO last night and I really liked it (Giovanni Tea Tree Triple Treat, I bought it awhile ago so I think it is an old formulation).

EDTA: OOps, forgot I've also been doing henndigo glosses to lengthen the time between full applications. That seems to be working OK, though it isn't covering my new gray growth AT ALL. I swear those suckers grow faster then the other hairs.

princessp
October 30th, 2010, 09:35 AM
I did a very heavy oiling. Coconut oil left on for a day and a half and then at the last hour massaged in castor oil and then washed out. I was having some scalp issues from a new shampoo and this helped tremendously. I'm thinking the new poo was drying out my scalp. I have now discovered the joys of heavy oiling!

I'd like to try the poo/coconut oil combo sounds very interesting.

dragonmyst
October 30th, 2010, 09:35 AM
ooo, I gotta try the scalp only wash at some point.

I did a CO last night. O.M.Gosh! I love how it left my hair feeling. I think I am sold on the CO. Of course this is only try 1. I've heard that some folks have trouble after a few washes so I'm going to be cautiously optemistic. However, my hair has never, in my memory, felt this soft.

sibiryachka
October 30th, 2010, 10:17 AM

Yes, yes, yes!! My hair is neither thick nor curly, and only a little dry, but oh mama do I love this. It leaves such a tiny micro amount of oil behind, much lighter than I've ever managed with my own hands - I haven't needed to apply any oil since starting this. My hair feels like it did in my teens, before I started messing with it. Try it!!

serious
October 30th, 2010, 10:46 AM
This thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=53937) has inspired me to try out washing my hair with soy flour and I've been in love with the results. Lots of volume!

AutobotsAttack
January 4th, 2016, 10:26 PM
Well recently ive been mixing white wine vinegar with my cowashing conditioner, and then i wash a second time with a moisturizing conditioner thats doesnt have anything mixed into it. My goodness. The softness and tangle-freeness of my hair is unreal lol. I'm really liking this little experiment i have done. And it helps lessen the harsh smell of vinegar for me as well.

kidari
January 4th, 2016, 10:51 PM
I mixed my semi-permanent dyes with coconut milk instead of conditioner and I absolutely loved the results. This is how I'm going to be doing it from now on. The ease of application was insane with the added benefits of the softness and bounce I get after doing a coconut milk soak. (I soak the very ends of my ponytail into a bowl and then I use that end of the ponytail to paint and soak the rest of my hair- it's a fast and easy process for me). Applying the dyes mixed with conditioner on dry hair is such a pain and I felt like it was causing some mechanical damage as well.

I wish I could do a scalp wash but all I can muster is a sort of bangs-only wash where I wash the from layers of my hair.

Laurenji
January 5th, 2016, 09:49 PM
Interesting. I'm really intrigued by the dye plus coconut milk thing. It's not too drippy for you?

kidari
January 6th, 2016, 11:52 PM
Interesting. I'm really intrigued by the dye plus coconut milk thing. It's not too drippy for you?

No, I only use 1/3 of the can at most and the dyes help thicken it up to a conditioner-like consistency. I fill a bowl with it and brush my hair out then grab it like I'm going to make a ponytail and dip the end of my hairs into it and allow it to absorb it then I use that to sort of "paint" it all around the rest of my head/hair until it's absorbed everywhere. I've been doing this so much I can do it really quickly and while hardly dripping anything anymore. I make sure to not put in anymore than my hair can absorb and by now I can gauge how much my eye when I mix it up. Also, I put a plastic bag over it and then put a turbie towel over it to ensure there are no drips.

Pol
January 7th, 2016, 02:54 AM
This is rather ridiculous, but my something new is sleeping with my hair in a sock! I've tried sleeping with it braided, bunned and loose in the past few months (I'm only at APL so limited options), all of which had drawbacks. For some reason I just decided to try stuffing it in a sock and it works brilliantly! I gather my hair into a ponytail on the top of my head, fold it a few times (into a sort of top knot) and then into the sock it goes! I've been using a child's sock, when my hair 'grows up' I will graduate onto a trainer sock :D Because it's on the top of my head I don't get my hair tangled around me anymore (I'm a very restless sleeper), but because the sock is soft and stretchy it's incredibly comfortable too, plus gentle on my hair. Anyway, I'm chuffed, although it looks... Well, you can imagine how absurd I look!

poli
January 9th, 2016, 02:08 AM
Nice idea Pol, you might start a new fashion :)
The thing I tried lately was switching to sulphate free shampoos. It did not work very well at first - my hair seemed not cleansed enough, but now I really like it. My scalp feels better, I have more volume and some more "almost waves" on my mostly straight hair.

Astraea
January 9th, 2016, 11:55 AM
Awesome kidari, I'll have to pass that on to someone I know in need.

I'm WO and had extreme sebum coverage, dry, gray, gross. I used EVOO to remove it - the idea of oil dissolving oil - and it worked! It took 2-3 consecutive days of doing this but I wet my hair, added EVOO from scalp to tip (which I'd never do under any other circumstances) and vigorously rinsed out with water. The results were soft, clean hair that had a light sebum coverage. I got the idea from wateronlyhairwash's YT channel. I used OCM years ago and don't know why it didn't cross my mind, I'll only use this under duress while on WO though.