PDA

View Full Version : Biotin

CountryGirl2
October 28th, 2010, 01:02 PM
I started taking biotin for my nails at first and my they are so much stronger and longer now I'm real pleased. What will it do for my hair does anyone know,cause I can't tell any difference?

Dolly
October 28th, 2010, 01:18 PM
Biotin has helped my growth rate....both new re-growth and length.....

CountryGirl2
October 28th, 2010, 01:21 PM
how much do you take daily? I take 5000mg or whatever they call it. LOL

Cholera
October 28th, 2010, 01:28 PM
I'm not sure if you can use the search feature yet, but if you search for biotin, there are tons of threads about it.

Dolly
October 28th, 2010, 01:33 PM
how much do you take daily? I take 5000mg or whatever they call it. LOL

I take 10,000 mcg.....

lara grace
October 28th, 2010, 01:34 PM
I take Biotin (5000mgs) and it improves my growth rate slightly and my hair seems healthier as it grows in because of it.

jju1007
October 28th, 2010, 02:46 PM
I started 2500 mcg a month ago but I think i will start doubling it. I want my hair to grow fast!

Igor
October 28th, 2010, 02:50 PM
Vitamin B7 (Biotin, also known as vitamin H)
Vitamin B7 is essential in the production of keratin and may prevent greying and even hair loss in men. It promotes healthy hair growth since it increases the elasticity of the hair's cortex, thus preventing breakage and protects against dryness. Biotin is necessary for all cell growth, the production of fatty acids, and the metabolism of fats and amino acids.
Biotin supplements are often recommended as a supplement to stop hair loss, there are, however, no studies that show any benefit in any case where the subject is not actually biotin deficient. Deficiency is extremely rare, as intestinal bacteria generally produce an excess of the body's daily requirement. For that reason, statutory agencies in many countries don’t prescribe a recommended daily intake for this water sioluble vitamin. The vitamin promotes cell growth and is thus needed for healthy skin as well.
Recommended daily intake is no higher than 225 mcg

RachieBaby
October 28th, 2010, 04:15 PM
I've been on 2000mcg of biotin for the past 2 months and before that I was on 1000mcg of biotin for about 3 monthsish? I definitely saw improvement in my hair after about 2 - 3 months of taking it :)

However im now taking a little 2 -3 week break from it, basically just to give my body a lil rest from it :) Then I will go on to finish the bottle and probably have 1 - 2 months break from it :) We shall see.

lara grace
October 28th, 2010, 04:24 PM
I've been on 2000mcg of biotin for the past 2 months and before that I was on 1000mcg of biotin for about 3 monthsish? I definitely saw improvement in my hair after about 2 - 3 months of taking it :)

However im now taking a little 2 -3 week break from it, basically just to give my body a lil rest from it :) Then I will go on to finish the bottle and probably have 1 - 2 months break from it :) We shall see.

Just wondering why you're giving your body a break from it? Have you noticed any negative side effects? I've heard some people have experienced skin breakouts from it.

Dolly
October 28th, 2010, 04:47 PM
I have been taking it now for over a year.....I have no breakouts or other ill effects.....5,000 mcgs never showed any improvement in my hair and nails.....at 10,000 mcgs, I have had great results.....

christine1989
October 28th, 2010, 04:49 PM
It did not make my hair grow any faster but it did reduce shedding making my hair a bit thicker.

surfguy87
October 28th, 2010, 05:46 PM
I found absolutley no influence on growth rate back when I was doing it. Stuck with it for 4months then stopped.

narydaco
October 28th, 2010, 06:46 PM
I take 1000 mcg of biotin and have noticed my nails are stronger but haven't seen any change in my hair :(. I tried increasing to 2000mcg or more but found it does make my skin break out so I had to cut back again. Does anyone know if this is a side effect that would improve over time, maybe as my body got used to it? I'd love to be able to take more to see if it helped my growth rate but hate having to deal with the skin problems.

lhangel9
October 28th, 2010, 07:05 PM
I take 10,000 mcg.....

Wow and I bet your hair thanks you for it. By the way, I take a total of 12, 300 mcg per day. Initially I started out at 300 mcg per day, then 500 mcg (after a couple of months), then 1000 mcg (after 6 months), etc. My hair is about 5 inches longer than my avatar now and my nails are as hard as "nails." I'll need to update my photo soon, but I'm waiting to at least reach my first goal :patrol:

lhangel9
October 28th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Vitamin B7 (Biotin, also known as vitamin H)
Vitamin B7 is essential in the production of keratin and may prevent greying and even hair loss in men. It promotes healthy hair growth since it increases the elasticity of the hair's cortex, thus preventing breakage and protects against dryness. Biotin is necessary for all cell growth, the production of fatty acids, and the metabolism of fats and amino acids.
Biotin supplements are often recommended as a supplement to stop hair loss, there are, however, no studies that show any benefit in any case where the subject is not actually biotin deficient. Deficiency is extremely rare, as intestinal bacteria generally produce an excess of the body's daily requirement. For that reason, statutory agencies in many countries don’t prescribe a recommended daily intake for this water sioluble vitamin. The vitamin promotes cell growth and is thus needed for healthy skin as well.
Recommended daily intake is no higher than 225 mcg

I had gone the 225 mcg route a couple of years ago and it did absolutely nothing for my hair or nails. I do admit that when taking Biotin, I must drink an excessive amount of water to avoid face breakouts/pimples. Also, after I've reached my goal, I'll start reducing my dosages significantly....1st month to 9000 mcg, 2nd month to 5000 mcg (I'll keep it at that).

nytquill
October 29th, 2010, 07:24 PM
I've just recently started on biotin myself and I'm wondering - where are you folks getting this high-dose stuff? Or are you just taking several pills per day? My local pharmacy only carries 250mcg tablets. I'm taking one at each meal, so 3 per day, plus my B complex, for a total of 850mcg per day (assuming I don't forget one!)

I know it's having an effect though because one of the things biotin does is increase insulin sensitivity, and I am diabetic on insulinl and have had to cut all my doses back. I'm actually really pleased about this - anything that makes my blood sugar easier to control and makes me need less insulin to do it is good in my book!

LisaMonster
October 29th, 2010, 09:36 PM
I haven't noticed a difference in my hair, but my nails are OUT OF CONTROL.

masa_inn
October 29th, 2010, 09:41 PM
I've just recently started on biotin myself and I'm wondering - where are you folks getting this high-dose stuff?
There you go: http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Biotin

Took about 3-4 months to see a full effect.

nytquill
October 30th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Thanks! Anybody know of a reliable online-vitamin site located in Canada? It would spare me some shipping and customs costs if I could get this stuff from within the country, but I have no clue which companies are trustworthy and good quality.

Dolly
October 30th, 2010, 08:54 AM
There you go: http://www.vitacost.com/NSI-Biotin

Took about 3-4 months to see a full effect.

That is the same place I get mine.....I love Vitacost!

In2wishin
October 30th, 2010, 09:52 AM
Thanks! Anybody know of a reliable online-vitamin site located in Canada? It would spare me some shipping and customs costs if I could get this stuff from within the country, but I have no clue which companies are trustworthy and good quality.

A friend who lived in Alberta for a while used this place:

http://www.canadianvitaminshop.com/epages/Store.sf?ObjectPath=/Shops/Vitaminshop9db

MClass
October 30th, 2010, 11:52 AM
When I first made the decision to grow out my hair a friend suggested biotin. I started at 1000mcg a day and I didnt really notice any change. My nails felt stronger but my hair was still growing at my fun average of 1/4" a month.

My next venture was Hair Formula 37 which of course has biotin in its vitamins. With that I got 1/2" per month growth.

Then I stumbled upon Bargello's Regime. I bought a 3 month supply of her outlined vitamins for about $40. Which is less than what I was paying for one month of the HF37. I am now at 6000mg biotin a day.

I have rambled quite a bit but my experience has been the lower doses of biotin did nothing for me. I am slowly increasing over a one year period. I am very sensitive to break outs and thats one reason for the slow increase. But I do think the higher doses are overall more beneficial.

jojo
October 30th, 2010, 03:34 PM
I take 10000mg a day and my hair growth rate has doubled. I got cystic spotty areas for the first month but now my skin has never looked better. I do take a lot of other vits too but I put my growth down to biotin as I introduced my vits slowly and noticed a big difference when i added biotin.

lw8666
October 30th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I took biotin for 8 months straight with out missing any days. I haven't noticed an increase in my growth rate but my new growth is shiny, healthy, and thick. I do believe the biotin was making me break out, so i reduced my intake.

VelvetReef
October 31st, 2010, 01:10 PM
So if they only sell the 5000mg one per day, can you safely double that? I've been taking 500omg and haven't noticed that much difference.

Sooze
October 31st, 2010, 01:30 PM
Have just started taking Biotin, but only taking 600 mg per day so assume it's not going to make any real difference...?