PDA

View Full Version : Urgh wish i didn't do that

Sunny_side_up
October 28th, 2010, 12:26 PM
What have you done to your hair as in put on it and then regretted it? products/ lotions/potions Well its a learning curve hey!

Have been oiling my hair with Shikakai oil last two weeks, means i have been scalp massaging which is a plus. It is a lighter oil than some others, such as olive oil(that was way too weighty). Covered my scalp as norm then decided to do a brown vinegar rinse:shake:
Two cap fulls of it in a 1litre jug of water, washed witha SLS shampoo, rinsed well. No cones. Dried and had heavy weighted greasy feeling roots, frazzled, fly away, dry ends(didn't brush or comb by the way) :eek::confused: Next 2 days spotty itchy scalp hrrrm. So today two washes with SLS shampoo and covered my hair in conditioner. Feels better already:)
Shall be avoiding vinegar. Good point is i've grown an inch since my Sept trim :Dnormally in the past, winter sees my growth slowing!

bumblebums
October 28th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Brown vinegar--is that malt vinegar?

Anyway, vinegar can be fine or not, but if you have problems with a specific variety of vinegar, try using plain white (distilled) vinegar, and make sure to check the acidity. The vinegar used in the US, which many online instructions refer to, has an acidity of 3 to 5%. Vinegar outside the US is often of higher acidity, so you might have to dilute it further.

Non-white vinegar might have sugar, molasses, or other stuff in it that, while not necessarily bad for your hair, could contribute to the itchies--especially if you have a fungal infection of the scalp.

Enough lecturing--my own "wish I hadn't done that" moment was when I put ground, soaked oatmeal on my hair. I couldn't get the grains out no matter what I did. Ended up doing CO, which I normally don't do, as a last resort...

Thinthondiel
October 28th, 2010, 12:44 PM
I've tried using coconut milk as a deep treatment, and that was a disaster. My hair stank afterwards. Apparently, I didn't learn from that, and tried doing a deep oiling with coconut oil. I imagined it wouldn't smell like the coconut milk had, since I couldn't smell anything from the bottle, but I was wrong. Once again, my hair stank.

Also, vinegar makes my hair look stringy and greasy, no matter how much I dilute it. It doesn't matter if it's white vinegar or ACV. I didn't try any other kinds of vinegar after that.

pepperminttea
October 28th, 2010, 01:35 PM
It might be worth trying apple cider vinegar (ACV) rather than malt vinegar. I had a bit of a disaster with the latter when I first started vinegar rinses, it really is completely different. A bottle of ACV in Sainsbury's only sets me back £1-something, and it lasts me ages, since I only use two tablespoons to 8 liquid ounces of water at the end of each wash, in an old shampoo bottle. It really is well worth a try. :)

Carolyn
October 28th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Using mashed banana in a homemade concoction was horrible. I had stinky nasty banana bits in my hair for several days in spite of washing each day. To this day the smell of banana makes me want to :puke:

Another awful thing was cassia. It turned my hair green and made it super dry.

spidermom
October 28th, 2010, 02:03 PM
Baking soda mixed with shampoo was a disaster for my hair. It matted so tight that I couldn't comb it for about 2 weeks except for when my hair was covered with lots of conditioiner. I still shudder when I see the box of baking soda in my kitchen. Evil stuff!

Qwackie
October 28th, 2010, 02:07 PM
Putting hydrogen peroxide in it way before I joined LHC. Ouch. As well as chamomile, it didn't change my hair color at all, and it left it dry. I got evil demons of splits in my hair from it.

Sunny_side_up
October 28th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Brown vinegar--is that malt vinegar?

Anyway, vinegar can be fine or not, but if you have problems with a specific variety of vinegar, try using plain white (distilled) vinegar, and make sure to check the acidity. The vinegar used in the US, which many online instructions refer to, has an acidity of 3 to 5%. Vinegar outside the US is often of higher acidity, so you might have to dilute it further.

Non-white vinegar might have sugar, molasses, or other stuff in it that, while not necessarily bad for your hair, could contribute to the itchies--especially if you have a fungal infection of the scalp.

Enough lecturing--my own "wish I hadn't done that" moment was when I put ground, soaked oatmeal on my hair. I couldn't get the grains out no matter what I did. Ended up doing CO, which I normally don't do, as a last resort...

Thanks i hadn't thought about the other contents of the vinegar!:eek: My hair has been shedding alot and feels quite thin, so thinking i'll have a break from oiling and do massage of the scalp without anything else. The oil i'm using doesn't smell great. Long time since i've had a spot reaction on my scalp:(
Oh dear! Bits in the hair, that sounds like a hassle!

Sunny_side_up
October 28th, 2010, 02:16 PM
It might be worth trying apple cider vinegar (ACV) rather than malt vinegar. I had a bit of a disaster with the latter when I first started vinegar rinses, it really is completely different. A bottle of ACV in Sainsbury's only sets me back £1-something, and it lasts me ages, since I only use two tablespoons to 8 liquid ounces of water at the end of each wash, in an old shampoo bottle. It really is well worth a try. :)

Thanks:flower::o Was a spur of the moment thing, my hair hasn't been feeling great of late with the mass shed and build up feeling:rolleyes: think i'll stick to coconut on me ends. Thanks for the ACV ratio my dear, i shall get some this weekend!:D

twopoints
October 28th, 2010, 02:40 PM
I put in a shine serum which made my hair very sticky and more oily than shiny.

Alexannee10
October 28th, 2010, 02:45 PM
Last weekend, me and one of my friend decide to do some natural hair and skin care. I've tried the banana/olive oil mask .. so. Now I know why it is important to use the blender to mix the bananas .. It took me about 1 hour, removing slowly all of the banana pieces. We've try to use conditioner and a small comb .. 1 hour to detangle every little hair .. I've lost about 300 hair (NO KIDING!) and I've had to blow dry my hair 2 times. It was a nightmare.

so I wish I never put bananas in my hair :)

little_cherry
October 28th, 2010, 02:52 PM
For removing oils, I would always soak with conditioner before doing any vinegar rinse to dilute the oil.

As for the coconut milk, it is always best to mix it into your conditioner 1:3. If you feel like doing just a pain coconut mil soak, always follow with a conditioner soak to dilute the oils.

For banana treatment, freeze and thaw your bananas first- this will soften it right up. You could also purchase baby food banana.

For build up, use a clarifying shampoo followed by a deep treatment like the SMT.

Vermelha
October 28th, 2010, 03:13 PM
I have a LOT of those moments.

Once, I called myself going to wear wash and go styles. NOT with MY type of curly hair. When wash day occurred, I had to cut out tangles in the shower...I was so frustrated! Some curls had caught onto each other and detangling was terrible.

Then, I was going to wear my hair wet until it grew long, so I thought. Well, that turned sour when my hair and scalp started to stink! My hair takes a long time to dry, but I didn't factor that in. I also had a lot of breakage due to handling sopping wet hair. Never do that again...

Finally, I convinced myself that the only way to grow long hair was to wear it straight all the time. That meant using heat weekly and going longer without washing, using cones, etc. Well, I did have better-looking hair, but I also ended up with dryer, rougher hair. Sometimes, hair isn't as healthy as it looks. My family liked it. I didn't. My hair feels better now.

I also went through a deep conditioning phase that left my hair mushy. It's finally wore off and now my hair is as coarse as its supposed to be. (I wonder why people try to combat coarse hair? It's strong!).

Sunny_side_up
October 29th, 2010, 01:33 PM
For removing oils, I would always soak with conditioner before doing any vinegar rinse to dilute the oil.

As for the coconut milk, it is always best to mix it into your conditioner 1:3. If you feel like doing just a pain coconut mil soak, always follow with a conditioner soak to dilute the oils.

For banana treatment, freeze and thaw your bananas first- this will soften it right up. You could also purchase baby food banana.

For build up, use a clarifying shampoo followed by a deep treatment like the SMT.
This is all so helpful thankyou very much! :)

Sunny_side_up
October 29th, 2010, 01:36 PM
Last weekend, me and one of my friend decide to do some natural hair and skin care. I've tried the banana/olive oil mask .. so. Now I know why it is important to use the blender to mix the bananas .. It took me about 1 hour, removing slowly all of the banana pieces. We've try to use conditioner and a small comb .. 1 hour to detangle every little hair .. I've lost about 300 hair (NO KIDING!) and I've had to blow dry my hair 2 times. It was a nightmare.

AArgh precious hairs!!! Lots of patience needed there hey:p I enjoy eating them but never really thought about it goin on my hair and what it would do

luxepiggy
October 29th, 2010, 01:56 PM
My moments have all been of the "too much of a good thing" variety. Oil, shine serum, leave-in conditioner, heat protectant . . . you name it, and an overenthusiastic little piggy has put too much in her hair at once, usually right after washing.

Of course, the resulting pigtastrophe always has to go right back into the shower for another wash (>(oo)<)`

LaurelSpring
October 29th, 2010, 02:29 PM
Lets see.... I have given up on

shampoo bars and Dr. Bronners
vinegar makes me itch
anything with citric acid makes me itch
COing
SMTS for the most part
oiling with oil ( I use a combination of shea, cocoa butter and coconut oil now on the ends.) Oil just made it seem oilier
Monostat shudder:
Mayonnaise
Cones
Borax

Thats all I can think of at the moment.

frodolaughs
October 29th, 2010, 02:36 PM
Borax? Yikes!

Hmm. I don't dye my hair. I don't heat style. I've never been big on putting a lot of product in it, but there is one thing...

Scissors! I've always regretted putting the scissors anywhere near my head. It's taken me a long time to learn this. The first time I cut my hair I was 10, and I went from hip-length to chin. I loved it for 2 days and then on the third day I cried myself to sleep sobbing that 'I want long hair!' Did that teach me my lesson? No. I've cut my hair many times, and even though I've enjoyed the look of the short styles I've always wished it was long again within a very short period of time. Scissors are my nemesis! Keep them away from my head. They must come no closer to my scalp than my waist. :D

christine1989
October 29th, 2010, 02:49 PM
I tried putting mashed up avacado in my hair once- big mistake! I was picking mushy gobs of it out for days afterwards.

jeanniet
October 29th, 2010, 02:59 PM
Mashed banana in a DT...do not do this. I'd always used baby food bananas before, and I thought I squished the banana up enough--I should have used the blender. I washed my hair and then realized it looked like I had globs of snot in it. I got most of it out using lots of conditioner and a lot of rinsing. Lesson learned.

nemileo
October 29th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Extention strips put on at home was a disaster for me. Oh well they were all fine unthil I wanted to remove them, and I used some spray that was ment to loosen the glue. My hair looked like a birds nest for a month, and smelled like an old boat engine. It has been years ago, but I still feel sick if I smell something that reminds me of that. I think I have some cind of record in mistreating my hair. May it all be a part of the past:rolleyes:

jojo
October 29th, 2010, 03:11 PM
baking soda to clarify OMG candy floss head! and coconut milk again a greasy mess, which took forever and a day to wash out...never again!

jojo
October 29th, 2010, 03:13 PM
Baking soda mixed with shampoo was a disaster for my hair. It matted so tight that I couldn't comb it for about 2 weeks except for when my hair was covered with lots of conditioiner. I still shudder when I see the box of baking soda in my kitchen. Evil stuff!

exactly the same result, instant dreads in both meanings of the word!

jeanniet
October 29th, 2010, 03:22 PM
It's funny, because baking soda works great for my hair. I use a very small amount, though--still experimenting to see what's "just enough." Right now I'm at 1/8 teaspoon, and I started with one teaspoon. I know everywhere says to use a tablespoon, but I wasn't about to try that! ;)

donna'sdaughter
October 29th, 2010, 03:28 PM
[quote=Thinthondiel;1315848]I've tried using coconut milk as a deep treatment, and that was a disaster. My hair stank afterwards.

OMG! I tried some canned coconut milk on my hair as a treatment one time and I tell you , it had me gagging. That smell is simply horrendous.:mad: LOL.

DuckyDot
October 29th, 2010, 03:58 PM
Bananas! It is so hard to get mashed up banana bits from your hair :(

But My hair really likes baking soda, unlike lots of the the other posters here :)

allnaturalboy
October 29th, 2010, 04:15 PM
My worst hair experiment was when I started trying to use these beauty for ashes shampoos that my mom bought. I had extremely greasy hair and my scalp even started to flake horribly, it was like the stuff wasn't rinsing out properly! Later, I realized they were a soap based shampoo and I have hard water. Plus, there are sooo many oils in their hair products.

Maybe other people would have luck with them, but I sure didn't!

http://www.discoverb4a.com/Shampoos_c_297.html

October 29th, 2010, 04:23 PM
Using mashed banana in a homemade concoction was horrible. I had stinky nasty banana bits in my hair for several days in spite of washing each day. To this day the smell of banana makes me want to :puke:

Another awful thing was cassia. It turned my hair green and made it super dry.

Ha ha. I got into the same trap with banana treatment.
Thought it would be good for my hair. Yeah, right! I kept founding banana bits stuck in my hair for a week :brickwall

*Admin note: Server madness caused an account to malfunction. A "guest" did not actually post in this thread.

JayLee
October 29th, 2010, 04:26 PM
My urgh moment was last year when I decided that I should perm over my already over-processed hair.

Zaane
October 29th, 2010, 05:50 PM
Mine would definitely had to be when I attempted a honey lightening treatment and decided to add cinnamon into the mix. Only I added about 5x more cinnamon than I actually needed to and thought it was weird that it was still clumpy in the mix BEFORE I even put it on my head. Needless to say I had tiny red speckles in my hair for about a week that made it feel like absolute straw :(

McFearless
October 30th, 2010, 12:30 AM
I regret ever trying hair dye. I regret straightening my hair to the point my curls are gone on the length, but very much happening in the roots. I regret recently going to the salaon for a dye and coming home with a burnt, bleeding scalp.

:(

RadiantNeedle
October 30th, 2010, 02:15 AM
It's funny, because baking soda works great for my hair. I use a very small amount, though--still experimenting to see what's "just enough." Right now I'm at 1/8 teaspoon, and I started with one teaspoon. I know everywhere says to use a tablespoon, but I wasn't about to try that! ;)

Hehe, I don't use anywhere near as much baking soda these days either! About a teaspoon in my Aldi 5star conditioner is perfect as a 'poo substitute and some extra cleansing in my CO regimen. I think all my hair would disintegrate if I mixed it with shampoo!

As for things I wish I hadn't used or done...
Using coconut cream that had thickeners and other agents in it in a deep treatment. My hair.. Smelled sooooo bad, and needed soooo much CO to get it all out. It was like rotten eggnog. >.<

RadiantNeedle
October 30th, 2010, 02:16 AM
I regret ever trying hair dye. I regret straightening my hair to the point my curls are gone on the length, but very much happening in the roots. I regret recently going to the salaon for a dye and coming home with a burnt, bleeding scalp.

:(

Oh nooo! That's terrible! Is it healing okay?

jeanniet
October 30th, 2010, 02:46 AM
Banana really is good for your hair. Doing DTs with banana (basically banana, honey, molasses, aloe vera, and conditioner) has made a big difference for me. But you do have to make sure the banana is very smooth or use baby food bananas. Mashing with a fork isn't good enough, as I found out!

purple_figtree
October 30th, 2010, 03:20 AM
Putting honey in my hair was a really bad idea. It is dry to begin with from the desert air, and honey just made it frizzy, brittle, tangly, and impossible to comb. Back into the shower!

Also, giving myself terrible haircuts that took years to grow out, and dreadlocks.

Haldir
October 30th, 2010, 03:29 AM
I haven't really done anything to mine that I regret yet - apart from combing my hair too violently and ripping out hairballs on a daily basis... so my hair's just awfully uneven. I'm SO tempted to dye my hair though... I really want to, but I think I may regret dying and damaging 3 feet of hair really soon after.

Toadstool
October 30th, 2010, 03:29 AM
Cut it all off two years ago.

Sundial
October 30th, 2010, 10:17 AM

Same issue here, except mine was with avocado :o

AstrayStar
October 30th, 2010, 10:57 AM
tried fenugreek mush on my scalp - had itchy irritated scalp for days!

my hair hated mayonaise
also didn't mush up an avocado enough
the length of my hair hates yogurt -- dry dry dry!

Dreamwings
October 30th, 2010, 11:01 AM
A few months before I graduated, I was growing out some red and black dye I had put in for my senior year. I was trying to grow out to my natural brown color. I didn't want to be three different colors for graduation, so I went to have my hair colored to my roots. I turns out I am allergic to salon hair dye, which was made worse by the fact that I had my hair styled too, and there was something that was sooo sticky I couldn't get it out of my hair! It had some of the dye stuck in it, so my scalp was getting red and flaky. I washed it and thought I got it out, But when it dried the sticky stuff just turned hard and felt like plastic!:eek: I spent the day at school itching, trying to get it out. Eventually I washed my hair with rubbing alcohol and got it out. In the end my hair felt brittle and the was a bald patch behind my left ear. :( That was earlier this year, and luckily my hair's back to normal (minus a few hairs still), but I am not using any strange products again!

Fairlight63
October 30th, 2010, 12:18 PM
I was having shedding problems & read on another forum to mix conditioner with garlic - put on hair & leave for 15 min.
So I mixed some garlic powder with some cond. & tried to put it on - what a mess that was trying to get it on! then leaving it on for 15 min. (holding nose) then trying to rinse it all out! I was feeling garlic powder grains for a week!
Then how to try to cover up the garlic smell from my DH???
So I decided to make chicken stir-fry to cover up the garlic smell (I put a little garlic in the rec. ) it must have worked because he never noticed the garlic smell in my hair.
NEVER again!

starlights
October 30th, 2010, 05:02 PM
i used to pile on endless hair spray which made my poor scalp itchy and horrible. I've done alot of "unknown" damage to my hair, im glad i got a chance to rectify things :)