PDA

View Full Version : How long do you leave hair oil on your hair for?

Dreamkitty
October 28th, 2010, 10:39 AM
I shampoo and condition my hair. The very next day, I apply lots of coconut oil, it makes my hair more mangeable, comfortable. I don't wash my hair for 4 days. I shampoo the oil off, then the next day apply oil again.

How do you do it?

Is it good to leave oil in hair for a couple of days?

CurlyTresses
October 28th, 2010, 10:47 AM
It depends on what my day is going to be like. I may apply oil right before I workout, or apply oil and in leave all night or for couple days. Sometimes I apply a little oil to my ends or even throughout my hair before styling. All in all, oil has been very beneficial to my hair. Coconut oil, olive oil, almond oil, etc. Makes my hair very soft and its seems healthier since I've been doing this. :o

I don't think there's any harm in leaving it for couple days, at least it hasn't been for me

aenflex
October 28th, 2010, 10:52 AM
Overnight, over the weekend if I have no plans. No less than a few hours at least :)

CurlyTresses
October 28th, 2010, 10:53 AM
Forgot to add, I've also read where before doing a conditioning wash (co-wash), one can apply oil to hair right before co-washing and this also leaves hair feeling very soft. This works for my curly hair since my hair needs lots of moisture. :)

Vermelha
October 28th, 2010, 11:00 AM
I heavily apply oil to my hair and scalp before shampooing. I leave it in the whole day before wash day. I lightly oil my hair after washing when my hair is dry. My hair always has some oil in it.

spidermom
October 28th, 2010, 11:18 AM
I have noticed that if I leave oil in my hair for more than a day during hot weather, it's hard to wash it out. Usually I coconut oil generously the day before I plan to wash my hair. If I'm going to blow-dry it after I wash it, I oil the bottom half of my length sparingly, followed by an application of CHI Silk Infusion coney serum, then blow-dry on warm and cool (never hot). Otherwise, no, I don't oil it after I wash it because it seems to attract too much dust and lint. That's why I wait until it's time to wash my hair again most of the time.

Vibeke
October 28th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I put some oil in my conditioner when I wash my hair. That makes my hair fluffy and silky :)

kittensoupnrice
October 28th, 2010, 12:23 PM
Depending on the time of year, I'll either put a bit in right after shampooing, and heavily the night before I re-shampoo, or I'll put in a little bit every morning and then again heavily the night before I re-shampoo.

If it's just a bit of oil, I'll apply from the shoulders down. If it's a heavier oiling before a shampoo, I'll also massage oil into my scalp.

I'll skip the heavy oiling if it's been more than a week or so since my last shampooing, at which point I will preen a bit instead of oil.

I always have at least a little bit of oil in my hair. It seems to make my hair happier.

Noctifer
October 28th, 2010, 12:29 PM
I usually oil it the night before wash day, sometimes i do oil the morning the day before the wash day.

pepperminttea
October 28th, 2010, 01:37 PM
I lightly oil post-wash, and then do a heavy oiling the night before a wash. I find it makes everything a little easier in the tangles department, and I find oiling relaxing. :)

Carolyn
October 28th, 2010, 01:44 PM
It varies. I don't have one set way of oiling. Sometimes I'll leave it on as little as an hour or two. Most of the time I oil the night before I plan to wash. I usually wash it out with a CO wash. I'll also use a little as a leave in.

starlights
October 28th, 2010, 03:46 PM
sometimes i leave oil on my hair for 2 days, maximum 3 days before washing it out.

RachieBaby
October 28th, 2010, 04:07 PM
Well I wash my hair almost every day (if not every other day) and I put oil in my hair from the length of my ears down whilst my hair is still damp. This works really really well for me and leaves my hair really soft and manageable :D I use coconut oil.

I don't see why there should be a problem leaving oil in for a few days :)

Jessica Trapp
October 28th, 2010, 05:45 PM
I did a heavy oil today and left it on several hours. Sometimes I leave it on overnight.

vividdreamer
October 28th, 2010, 08:23 PM
I do heavy oilings overnight before almost every wash using a combo of Coconut Oil and other stuff (or just plain virgin Coconut Oil), and I oil my scalp with Nightblooming's Triple Moon Annointing oil. That stays in anywhere from 10 - 14 hours, and then I CWC. After CWCing, I use a bit of Nightblooming's Panacea Salve (LOVE Nightblooming's products!) on my ends and length. I apply more of it as needed (if my ends feel dry) during the next 2-3 days, and then repeat the process. I do notice that my hair tends to attract a bit more lint and such with the oil/salve on it, but the benefits are well worth it--at least for me.

christine1989
October 28th, 2010, 09:26 PM
You leave coconut oil in for 4 days!? Impressive indeed! I can't stand the smell much longer than a few hours. I usually always have a small amount of oil in my hair (sweet almond or jojoba). If I put a lot of oil in I will only leave it in for 3-4 hrs max.

Carrie Ingalls
October 28th, 2010, 09:32 PM
Recently I have been putting coconut oil in my hair a few days after a wash, when my hair is finally dry and I'm getting tired of combing it. I find the oil makes it easier to comb and my hair gets less tangled. I like to put coconut oil in at least a day before a wash, but it is not uncommon for me to have my hair oiled for about a week to a week and a half.

The longest I have gone with oil in my hair was back in the summer of 2009, I had it very heavily oiled and went almost a month without washing the oil out. However, I would not recommend this as even refined coconut oil can...um go a little rancid/start to smell not so nice. But other than that there were no ill effects (the smell went away when I washed it and I did not have any trouble getting the oil out of my hair), in fact my hair was very soft. :) It was a very cold June that year and I suspect that if it had been really warm I would not have ended up going that long.

Pierre
October 28th, 2010, 10:07 PM
I use jojoba. I wash with WO, so there's always some oil, except just after I henna. So I leave it in about a month.

M Saint
October 29th, 2010, 02:45 AM
Interesting. I thought that was more of an eastern thing. I hadn't heard about applying oil to hair until I read about it on some Indian websites.

mira-chan
October 29th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I shampoo and condition my hair. The very next day, I apply lots of coconut oil, it makes my hair more mangeable, comfortable. I don't wash my hair for 4 days. I shampoo the oil off, then the next day apply oil again.

How do you do it?

Is it good to leave oil in hair for a couple of days?

I oil the scalp between washes some times but definitely a pre-wash oiling. The pre-wash is left on a minimum of two hours.

I've had no issues in leave oil in hair for days. If it shows some oiliness down it's not a problem for me as I just wear it in a braided bun without issues.

jojo
October 29th, 2010, 03:59 PM
well I use oil lightly every day on the last few inches and if I wear a braid I lightly oil that too and once a week I do an over night deep oil; so for me I have oil in my hair 24/7!

monkeyprincess
October 30th, 2010, 08:37 PM
I lightly oil every night and do a heavy oiling the night before or morning of wash day.

Chestershire
October 31st, 2010, 05:52 AM
I wash on monday, no oil. Tuesday a little bit oil, Wednesday after school a lot of oil.
Thursday I wash it, no oil. Friday neither, because I deep conditioner every Friday night. Saturday I wash it, no oil, Sunday: lots of oil.
Repeat

Astarte_1980
October 31st, 2010, 06:10 AM
I put the oil in my hair and then I sleep with it, before I wash it out.

MissCoco
October 31st, 2010, 07:39 AM
I do a heavy oiling once a week and then leave the oil in for 4 days, sometimes more. I use virgin coconut oil as a base, and then I add Amla, Bhringraj, almond and rosemary. I usually add shea butter and a shine serum too. I get good growth when I leave it oiled (and buttered :P) a lot and scalp massage/hair pull daily. I've read many Indians do it, so whatever they do, I do it too. :D

Niwa
October 31st, 2010, 07:57 AM
</p>
Like you, I leave oil on until my next wash, and I don't wash any sooner than I normally wood. In fact, sometimes I add a bit more oil before my next wash. I have not noticed any ill effects, and I have been doing this for years.

SpinDance
November 1st, 2010, 06:23 AM
I put a touch of Nightblooming's Panacea or 2-3 drops of another oil on after washing while the hair is still damp. This works better for me than waiting until it is dry to apply the oil. I also usually oil heavily the night before washing. On a weekend when I'll be at home I sometimes leave oil on for 1-2 days, to give it longer to soak in. I usually CWC but sometimes will CO, particularly if I've already washed twice that week. I usually only shampoo once or twice a week, but depending on my schedule may CO every day.

Nae
November 1st, 2010, 06:33 AM
Oh, oil is my friend!! I put a little bit of unrefined coconut oil in my hair fresh out of the shower. It seems to help with the flyaways. Then I usually put a bit into dry hair before bed, especially the ends. I also sometimes heavily oil right before I wash so that it doesn't dry out the ends too much. YAY oil!

P.S. Sometimes I use Nightblooming's Panacea in the morning or in place of the oil at night. (Not usually before a shower though, I like the scent too much to have it wash out.)

purple_figtree
November 1st, 2010, 07:25 AM
I only leave a heavy oiling in overnight, but I don't think that leaving it for days would do any harm, as long as you don't mind having oily hair.