PDA

View Full Version : The Today Show this morning....

RavennaNight
October 28th, 2010, 06:33 AM
Will have a segment about older women and long hair! Let's see what they have to say...

:drama:

CherrySilver
October 28th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Wow! They're interviewing the author of the NYT article on the Today Show with Meredith Vierra! Watch it if you can -- they're talking about a stigma about having your hair too long and not coloring it when you get older. Will post the link when it comes out....

RavennaNight
October 28th, 2010, 06:49 AM
Wow. Their definition of long hair is really short. Shoulder length is long? "Chest bone?" wow. They didn't even broach te topic of LONG hair.

FrannyG
October 28th, 2010, 06:51 AM
Well, it was pretty typical, wasn't it? The hair stylist agreed with long hair on older women, but with so many qualifiers. Must have layers about the face, must not have long silver hair, must not be too long, etc.

I would just love for once to see a piece that says, "If you feel beautiful, then you are beautiful."

ETA: I didn't see your post before I posted mine, RavennaNight. Well, the pro-long-hair journalist has fairly long hair, no real face framing layers and it's salt and pepper. Think the hair stylist actually did address all of that. :?

RavennaNight
October 28th, 2010, 06:54 AM
And the woman who wrote the article, who defends her own long hair to her mother, wasn't more than BSL!

CherrySilver
October 28th, 2010, 07:09 AM
Below is a link on the Today Show website to a discussion/poll on whether women over 50 should have long hair:

http://today.newsvine.com/_question/2010/10/26/5352896-should-women-over-50-have-long-hair

Ladies, let your voices be heard!

FrannyG
October 28th, 2010, 07:15 AM
And the woman who wrote the article, who defends her own long hair to her mother, wasn't more than BSL!

I think she may have been longer than BSL; it was hard to tell. But in the "real world" BSL is fairly long, even in young women and teens, where I live.

Clearly though, the hairstylist, who claims to be pro-long hair on older women thought it was too long. I think we know what the reaction would have been to waist length or longer. It would have been true horror. shudder:

So many rules! :justy:

Ravenwaves 88
October 28th, 2010, 07:20 AM
Wow....did anyone else see this quote in Cherry Silver's link?

"Long hair is vain. Hair is dead. If you have great facial structure and self confidence; wear it short. If you're insecure; wear it long"

Most women with long hair wear it up anyways...lol. I wonder how many ppl think this way.

marzipanthecat
October 28th, 2010, 07:26 AM
Wow. Their definition of long hair is really short. Shoulder length is long? "Chest bone?" wow. They didn't even broach te topic of LONG hair.

Slight hi-jack here - I'm in the UK, so I'll be looking for a link to this TV show, but I just thought I'd butt in here to mention that I've applied to be a film extra a few times (no success yet) and when they casting companies ask for "long hair" on women they in fact mean shoulder length. "Very long hair" is around BSL. I had a very nice casting person explain all this to me - one lady just didn't know what to make of my hair (but she said some incredibly nice things about it!).

Unofficial_Rose
October 28th, 2010, 07:33 AM
Slight hi-jack here - I'm in the UK, so I'll be looking for a link to this TV show, but I just thought I'd butt in here to mention that I've applied to be a film extra a few times (no success yet) and when they casting companies ask for "long hair" on women they in fact mean shoulder length. "Very long hair" is around BSL. I had a very nice casting person explain all this to me - one lady just didn't know what to make of my hair (but she said some incredibly nice things about it!).

That means I have long hair. Yippee! :D

But hang on, I am scared of being perceived as insecure so I should cut it...;)

Hang on Ravenwaves, there isn't an option if you are not insecure but don't have great facial structure either. Not very logical, are they? But then perhaps they don't think they need to be, because self-appointed style gurus think women are too thick to have any capacity for logic. Oh, I see, this was a member of the public, not a style "expert".

jane53
October 28th, 2010, 07:47 AM
Glad I didn't watch. 57, hip bone length, bangs but no layers: I'm a FAIL according to the standards you say they presented.

CherrySilver
October 28th, 2010, 07:49 AM
Yeah! They finally posted the video:

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/35133959

Just go to the timeline and scroll over to 8:42 am to see it.

rapunzelna
October 29th, 2010, 06:46 AM
There were qualifiers, but overall, I thought it was a pretty balanced interview. Of course, at age 48 with hair to my rear...no doubt I fall into the "to long" category.

LadyLongLocks
October 30th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Here is another link to THE TODAY SHOW VIDEO (http://www.metacafe.com/watch/hl-50095467/nbc_today_show_why_can_t_older_women_wear_long_hai r/)

I couldn't find it on the other link.

dragonmyst
October 30th, 2010, 10:04 AM
I'm afraid that if I were to watch it I would be a bit aggravated. BSL long??? uhhhh no. But thats just me, what do I know?

Bene
October 30th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Meh, I watched the segment. I didn't think it would become such an issue, I mean, I really don't care what other people do to their hair, so it's a foreign concept for me when people have all these pre-conceptions about age appropriate length.

meerikal
October 30th, 2010, 02:23 PM
I would love to know why people who decide to work outside the social norms are always insecure about their appearence. You like beautiful long hair, take pride in caring for something and that makes you insecure. What definition are they using? I would think following the sheeple, inundating yourself with chemicals and basically deciding to mutilate something that is a part of you to be accepted by society at large would make you far more insecure. Gah, why are people so nasty to anything that's different? Ok I'm done with my rant.