PDA

View Full Version : Finger Tip To Longer Hair Questions

Dragon
October 28th, 2010, 06:10 AM
Questions for any one who has had or currently have hair finger tips to longer :)

Does it get hard to brush/comb once it gets below your finger tips?
Whats the easiest way to brush/comb it when below finger tips?
How often do you wash and what method do you use?
Do you use cones?
Do you clarify and how often?
Whats the easiest way to wash it to prevent tangles when washing it?
Do you trim?
Do you have any secrets that you would like to share for others who plan to grow it finger tips to longer?
What made you decide to grow it to the length you are aiming for?

slz
October 28th, 2010, 06:30 AM
No. I never noticed it to feel different at any given time, precisely - you just get used to it as it grows.
I don't know - since I was there quite a while ago, and I didn't do any differently than before ... now I start having to use more of my imagination, though.
Once a week, indian herbs + condish + vinegar rinse.
Do you use cones?
No
Once a month before hennaing.
I don't know - pretty satisfied with my scalp massaging + length soaking in a bowl method.
Do you trim?
Once or twice a year, at most.
Do you have any secrets that you would like to share for others who plan to grow it finger tips to longer?
Gentleness and benign neglect.
No decision really : that's just what my hair does - it grows.

You may find more answers to your questions about longer hair in this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54031&highlight=knee) too.

Igor
October 28th, 2010, 06:37 AM
Yes, very. I was surprised at how much of a difference it made! My usual way of combing was to hold the hair smooth with my left hand and comb in one, long stroke with the right. That doesn’t work anymore and now I have to change decades worth of combing-habits

Combing in sections where I lift up the hair with my left hand and comb with the right. Then comb the “top” with my usual method as described above

CO wash 1-2 a week and WO wash (More like a rinse) every day otherwise

Do you use cones?
Yes

I have clarified in the past but haven’t done that for years by now

I CO wash by piling the hair up on my head with lots of conditioner and covering with cling wrap and warm hats (See my blog for my SexySmurf method)
Then when I let it down, I bend at the waist and rinse the “bulk” of conditioner out
I then sit in the tub bending forwards with the showerhead low on the wall and use my hands to scrub and squeeze it clean under the water. I dip hair and scalp in the water too
Then I stand up and let the water wash knots and tangles out. I scrub the scalp and use the comb and water to move my hair back behind my shoulders where its ready to be wrapped up in a towel

Do you trim?
I S&D and trim but haven’t been bothered to for quite a long time by now :oops:

Nothing clever I haven’t already covered in my blog or on answering posts and that anyone can find in the articles (Good link Slz)

I didn’t. I don’t have a goal length.

FrozenPrincess
October 28th, 2010, 08:21 AM
Since its only just at fingertips i havent really noticed a huge difference.

I just gather it over one shoulder and sort of place it on my knee(while sitting down) and then comb and detangle from the ends up.

Once a week, i just shampoo and condition like most people would i suppose.

Do you use cones?
Possibly, but i really don't know.

No i dont.

In the shower and don't pile it on top of your head to wash.

Do you trim?
I S&D from time to time.

Be gentle, patient and use a wide tooth comb.

Welli cut it rather short in 2002, now i just want to see exactly how long it can get.

Themyst
October 28th, 2010, 08:32 AM
Does it get hard to brush/comb once it gets below your finger tips? Yes, I can't reach all the way down to comb the length now.
Whats the easiest way to brush/comb it when below finger tips? I have to grasp it in ponytail fashion and hold it up to comb the ends.
How often do you wash and what method do you use? Wash about every third day. Just shampoo and condition.
Do you use cones? Yes. It helps to detangle.
Do you clarify and how often? No, but I should probably think about doing that.
Whats the easiest way to wash it to prevent tangles when washing it? I think the best thing to do is prevent the tangles before washing. I bun it most of the time, when I take it down for washing, I keep it behind my back. Don't try to pile it up on your head or flip your head over to wash. Then finger comb it while in the shower with the conditioner still on.
Do you trim? No but I'm probably due for one. It's too long for me to do myself, I'm thinking about going to a salon where I will meticulously monitor a one inch trim.
Do you have any secrets that you would like to share for others who plan to grow it finger tips to longer? Yes, bun it and don't obsess over it. It will get long before you know it.
What made you decide to grow it to the length you are aiming for? I find it is who I am.

GeoJ
October 28th, 2010, 09:35 AM
* Does it get hard to brush/comb once it gets below your finger tips?
It gradually changed; I found myself stretching more and more, and then i found myself lifting my hair to comb the ends. It all happened automatically, I wasn't really conscious of the change at first.

* Whats the easiest way to brush/comb it when below finger tips?
I just grab the length and lift it to comb the parts I can't reach.

* How often do you wash and what method do you use?
I wash when I feel like I need to. I am now washing once or twice a week, CWC, with scalp washes in between if needed.

* Do you use cones?
No, I prefer oils for my hair.

* Do you clarify and how often?
I think I have never clarified, at least not in the last 8 to 10 years. I may have used a clarifying shampoo in the past, but I'm not sure.

* Whats the easiest way to wash it to prevent tangles when washing it?
I leave it all hanging down and I don't rough it up during the wash.

* Do you trim?
Yes, but currently not on any kind of schedule, just whenever I feel like my ends are getting damaged.

* Do you have any secrets that you would like to share for others who plan to grow it finger tips to longer?
Patience and gentle/protective care are probably the most important. I try to avoid anything that seems damaging, and I get fewer split ends if I use catnip soaks (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=118).

* What made you decide to grow it to the length you are aiming for?
I'm aiming for knee. I spent several years keeping my hair between hips and classic, and now it doesn't feel long enough to me. I was probably influenced by pictures of beautiful knee length hair I see here also. I chose knee because I think I can make it there, but I don't know if I have the genes to grow beyond that and I don't want to get disappointed.

Loreley
October 28th, 2010, 10:54 AM
- Yes, a bit. I have to lift my hair up with one hand to reach the ends.

- When I comb it I pull it over my left shoulder, hold it up with my left hand and comb with the other one. When I brush with a BBB I sit down, part it into two sections and brush it that way.

- I wash once in every 2-3 days. I use cone- and sufate-free baby shampoo and conditioner.

Do you use cones?
- I rarely use cones. I oil my hair often and with cones it's not that effective.

- Yes, once in every 3-4 weeks.

What's the easiest way to wash it to prevent tangles when washing it?
- I comb it before washing, make sure it's completely tangle-free. I wash it in the shower, don't move it much so I don't get too many tangles.

Do you trim?
- Yes, every month. I love trimming my hair. :p

- Be patient. :)

- I've always wanted to try what is having (almost) knee length hair like. And that length is really beautiful and unique.

Feng-Shui
October 28th, 2010, 03:05 PM
•Does it get hard to brush/comb once it gets below your finger tips?

Yes, it is different. I was very surprised. I must bow me many more than before.

•Whats the easiest way to brush/comb it when below finger tips?

I must lift my hair around the lower part to comb. And I divide it into several sections.

•How often do you wash and what method do you use?

I washes each 2-3 weeks once with diluted shampoo SLS.
No cone in the shampoo.
Lengths protected with the laundry with conditioner without cone.

•Do you use cones?

Occasionally in the winter.
I uses cone only on my lengths and never on my scalp.

•Do you clarify and how often?

No, it is not necessarily because I cone uses only rarely.

•Whats the easiest way to wash it to prevent tangles when washing it?

Combs before wash. Wash over head and only the scalp mass with the laundry.

•Do you trim?

I does s&d and has smaller cuts twice in one year.

•Do you have any secrets that you would like to share for others who plan to grow it finger tips to longer?

Have much patience.
Eat healthy things with much protein.
Questions you people around advice which your a goal already reached.

•What made you decide to grow it to the length you are aiming for?

I saw many beautifully pictures in the course of the years and that me inspired.
And I wants to see whether I it also create can.